Record Dealers Buying Under " Dummy " Ebay Names

Sunnysoul

Purely being curious here ... and I know we had a thread that touched on this some months ago, but which ebay id names are actually established record dealers buying up constantly and over bidding other collector only bidders ?

Not making a moral judgement on these people, business is business after all, just curious who they really are.

Isn't "rivalino" one of them? Who is he/she?

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Purely being curious here ... and I know we had a thread that touched on this some months ago, but which ebay id names are actually established record dealers buying up constantly and over bidding other collector only bidders ?

Not making a moral judgement on these people, business is business after all, just curious who they really are.

Who cares, we all have our user names.........even on SS, what difference does it make.

Russ

Social source share

I'd be very surprised if any record dealers buy huge amounts of stuff by 'over bidding collectors only bidders'. If you are buying to sell on, you need to buy cheap so that you can make a profit. There's no sense in a record dealer outbidding collectors just to then try and sell it to those very same collectors at a higher price.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I'd be very surprised if any record dealers buy huge amounts of stuff by 'over bidding collectors only bidders'. If you are buying to sell on, you need to buy cheap so that you can make a profit. There's no sense in a record dealer outbidding collectors just to then try and sell it to those very same collectors at a higher price.

Some of the cheque book collecters only use certain sellers eg JM , I know a few collecters that dont use ebay , you know yourself the more expensive the record the easier it is to make a profit .

Social source share

There are many collectors who dont use ebay, or at least dont look at it in the same depth that some collectors do. Many a time I`ve been out and someone is talking to me about records on ebay as if its common knowledge and everyone has seen them. Some of us have lives too....!

Chris

ps, for the record my ebay name is cunningly disguised as "midastouchsoul"...bet you never figured out that was me eh?

Social source share

what interests me is all these users who have suddenly appeared using these names.

d***l, s***p, g***m etc etc etc, all have good feedback but i have never seen them bidding on NS for ages , now they bid on everything :thumbsup:

Ian.

These arent new bidders, this is an Ebay thing done to protect bidder ids. As I understand it in some european countries ids have to be protected and what I believe they have done now is made it so that you can only see the winning bidders id and your own. This is to stop dubious offers etc to be made to other losing bidders by the robbing gits that are out there

On dealer IDs as far as I am concerned Ebay is a public auction where everone has a right to bid and to have there identity kept secret unless they want otherwise.

I recently had my Ebay account hacked by some git or other who put cars up for sale under my id which has taken me an age to sort out, so I have no issues with privacy being increased

Steve

Social source share

There are many collectors who dont use ebay, or at least dont look at it in the same depth that some collectors do. Many a time I`ve been out and someone is talking to me about records on ebay as if its common knowledge and everyone has seen them. Some of us have lives too....!

dammit, I HAVE a life, I just choose to live it on ebay...

Social source share

dammit, I HAVE a life, I just choose to live it on ebay...

I'm sure I'm not the only collector with multiple ebay IDs a couple of which are public knowledge I'm sure. Why do you need to know if its a dealer or another collector you're in competition with them if you want what they want anyway.

Rivalino is a buyer working for a dealer but what difference does that make unless you are tracking what they bid on and trying to out bid them on stuff you didn't know or hadn't spotted. Most serious bidders be they dealers or collectors snipe things to avoid people tracking what they bid on anyway.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

simple really, you buy using 1 id then sell using another, potential buyers cant see if you are buying to make a profit in your feedback cos even if its cheap some people dont like to see people making money, they got the know how and time to look for the bargains so good luck to them i say thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'm sure I'm not the only collector with multiple ebay IDs a couple of which are public knowledge I'm sure. Why do you need to know if its a dealer or another collector you're in competition with them if you want what they want anyway.

Rivalino is a buyer working for a dealer but what difference does that make unless you are tracking what they bid on and trying to out bid them on stuff you didn't know or hadn't spotted. Most serious bidders be they dealers or collectors snipe things to avoid people tracking what they bid on anyway.

I don't know if you were responding to me or the general thread -- personally I don't really care who bids on what, as long as they're not shill bidding. It does annoy me when people don't snipe, I wish everyone sniped their auctions instead of getting into stupid bidding wars, driving up the price for themselves and for next time the record comes up.

you actually can't even track stuff people bid on for the few people who bid ahead of time any more because of the hidden ebay things -- you can pretty much only see winners of completed auctions now. I think ebay uk sometimes will still show bidder identities, but the US ones are definitely all hidden except for the high bidder in a completed auction.

Personally, except for the thing where you buy under one and sell under another, I don't understand why some people keep multiple IDs. It's not like you're so important that someone's tracking your every move. The people who ARE important you can easily figure out their IDs anyways, even if they keep changing them (which they do...), as you can just look at what you know they were the high bidder on after the changed their ID.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!