Fortnightly Allnighter

With masses of people on the scene seemingly attending venues every weekend..........could a fortnightly Allnighter ever happen/work again.................I think the day's of a weekly Allnighter are long gone & have been for decades, but would one large regular venue, in a central or easily accessible area work in todays Rare Soul climate. Admitedly any promoter attempting this would have to have a wheel barrow to carry thier bo**ox in............but I kinda hanker after the day's when we all congregated at one inspiring venue regularly for our fix of soul..........the good side of this would be a regular turn over of tunes & the ability to break new records easier, the down side.........well, maybe depending on the promoter it might mean one person or venue 'controlling' the scene, if it was highly successful..............what do you think ???????????????.

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I too would like a coming together like at ther Ritz in Manchester in the 90s.. The trouble would be with rival promoters as you say :thumbsup: .. Maybe its you Mr Vickers that could get all the chiefs round a table and get them to smoke the peace pipe and have a group hug :thumbsup: ...

Its a nice idea Russ but i don't think it could work anymore, too many soul clubs going on all over the country every week and folk don't need to travel that much....Plus we have more and more weekenders, who would put up the cash for a fortnightly large event with so much competition..

I am happy with it as it is...I would like a large niter thats just two or three times a year for a coming together if anything..

Social source share

I agree with you Steve. I think a good do works best if its either bi-monthly or even just 4 times a year. I know that I'm less likely to miss going if it means there not being another for a few months. When they're monthly, I do have a tendancy to think "can't be arsed, I'll go to the next one"... And this is coming from someone that is only let loose from parental responsibilities once or twice a month at best!

Social source share

A fortnightly niter would die on its arse within two months...

Your probably right, but I would be interested as to why you think this would be, not being perdantic here, just interested to hear the pro's & cons as you see them.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Your probably right, but I would be interested as to why you think this would be, not being perdantic here, just interested to hear the pro's & cons as you see them.

Russ

No fukcer can afford to go to a regular nighter anymore,ok if its down t`road maybe...all the other promotors would love you :lol: Hi Russ.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

don't think it would work as theres always another event on somewhere else...still nice thought.....just great that the allnighters that are on....middleton,lifeline,burnley,the wilton,bidds,barnsley,marrs bar 100 club ect ect are always really busy with night people,it really is uplifting that these places are really buzzing. besides which the folk and the djs are pretty much the same group of around 6/700 they just have a differant place to go every time.....bloody great say I :wicked::ohmy::lol:

Social source share

I love the idea :wicked: would be brill to go somwhere regular and new records could be broken unlike now where you dont hear the same record from one month to the next, but it would be a stuggle for us up in the frozen wastelands of the north east as no doubt it would be miles away from us, we love to travel but fortnightly would be a bit much, plus theres so many!!! i think it would end up struggling unless everything else shut down :lol::ohmy: but nice thought though xxxxx

Social source share

I deffo agree with the fewer DJ's doing longer sets Simon......I think 90 mins max tho', gives DJ's the opportunity to build a set, but punters dont get 2 - 3 hours of a DJ they may not personally like...........Butch at the last Burnley.......awesome 2 hour set & should set the standard IMHO........must be cheaper option for promoters too, as fewer DJ's, plus you get the stongest line up possible.

Just my opinion mind.

Russ

Too many events now Russ :lol: but maybe it could work :wicked: if you find an area that has a good concentration of soulies with a small venue (100 to 150) plus fewer DJ's doing more hours
Social source share

I deffo agree with the fewer DJ's doing longer sets Simon......I think 90 mins max tho', gives DJ's the opportunity to build a set, but punters dont get 2 - 3 hours of a DJ they may not personally like...........Butch at the last Burnley.......awesome 2 hour set & should set the standard IMHO........must be cheaper option for promoters too, as fewer DJ's, plus you get the stongest line up possible.

Just my opinion mind.

+++++++++++++++

I think one set early and one set late works too :lol:

Social source share

Too many DJs - other niters would be springing up left right and centre.

Too much other stuff to fill the weekends (Weddings, Funerals, Bahmitzvahs, Gardening, DIY),

Becomes less of an event and people get complacent - "I'll give it a miss this weekend - it's on again in a couple of weeks...."

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Too many DJs - other niters would be springing up left right and centre.

Too much other stuff to fill the weekends (Weddings, Funerals, Bahmitzvahs, Gardening, DIY),

Becomes less of an event and people get complacent - "I'll give it a miss this weekend - it's on again in a couple of weeks...."

i heard people saying similar when it comes to a choice of a soul night thats on every month

Social source share

Just my opinion mind.

Russ

It would cost ya`a fortune fer`Butch,ooh!!£500 a set or something.....cheaper my arse,pro rata i bet....and how you gonna`help the prospective dj get on the ladder,what the fukc whats wrong wi`once a month anyhow. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest SteveC

We seem to be victims of our own success (although we shouldn't complain if we were involved in the dry scene in the 80's). Any new notions have so much against them because of the amount of events and the fear of upsetting/clashing with other promoters. Just all seems so complicated if you're a promoter or ex-promoter trying to add something "new and exciting" to the do's that are on already. I see your point bud (Russ) but we've had this convo before - you're just so passionate mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!