Big Money Versions Of Tighten Up / Am I Same Girl

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

It's the Chris Columbus version.....just ahead of Billy Ball & Upsetters, but you can't beat Archie Bell IMO

Billy Ball is not up to the job, it's never really worked, it's not in the same league. Archie Bells is of course good, but Chris Columbus is superior on many levels. the Classmates version is fierce and the only one that give Chris Columbus a run for it's money IMO, but CC has the soulful edge that the Classmates doesn't...

However the Bamboos out of Australia, recorded a few years ago, is quite possibly is the best version. But not for soulful ears...

How about REMs version? :lol:

Social source share

Billy Ball is not up to the job, it's never really worked, it's not in the same league. Archie Bells is of course good, but Chris Columbus is superior on many levels. the Classmates version is fierce and the only one that give Chris Columbus a run for it's money IMO, but CC has the soulful edge that the Classmates doesn't...

However the Bamboos out of Australia, recorded a few years ago, is quite possibly is the best version. But not for soulful ears...

How about REMs version? :lol:

Benny Gordon LP only version of Tighten Up ?

Social source share

Some people ..... loads of cash being paid for this 45 with shockingly bad versions of two classics on this ebay item with sound clips !!!!

Have a listen !

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=013

:wicked:

Yeah that Chris Columbus is AWFUL. So boring, dull as ditchwater (and I do like Roosevelt Matthews / Billy Ball etc both sides). The Chris Columbus is an old Soul Bowl cheapo cannot believe it's going for this sum. :lol::lol:

Wonders never cease.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Yeah that Chris Columbus is AWFUL. So boring, dull as ditchwater (and I do like Roosevelt Matthews / Billy Ball etc both sides). The Chris Columbus is an old Soul Bowl cheapo cannot believe it's going for this sum. :rolleyes:ohmy.gif

Wonders never cease.

But everything was cheap on soul bowl back then. Snowboy got it for £10 off Soul Bowl, but that's only because John wouldn't have known about the real value of things like that back then and he didn't realise how rare and/or in demand it was...

If he had been smart and auctioned it it would have fetched more than it's fetching now, I'm pretty sure of that! laugh.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

But everything was cheap on soul bowl back then. Snowboy got it for £10 off Soul Bowl, but that's only because John wouldn't have known about the real value of things like that back then and he didn't realise how rare and/or in demand it was...

If he had been smart and auctioned it it would have fetched more than it's fetching now, I'm pretty sure of that! :rolleyes:

Sorry James, I'm with the majority here. I don't get the Value of this record. Sunnyman Kado on Goldwest is rare but it's still no good (got one for asle by the way wink.gif ). I am funk and funky soul mad but this is in no comparison with Classmates, Billy and certainly not Arhcie. Archie sang it with authority and when he gave the order for you to tighten up, you damn well tighten. No other version has that groove tight enough, (with exception to the Bamboos, but they should be certifed!)

Infact in my opinion, these imitators are practically baggy round the mid-rif.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Sorry James, I'm with the majority here. I don't get the Value of this record. Sunnyman Kado on Goldwest is rare but it's still no good (got one for asle by the way wink.gif ). I am funk and funky soul mad but this is in no comparison with Classmates, Billy and certainly not Arhcie. Archie sang it with authority and when he gave the order for you to tighten up, you damn well tighten. No other version has that groove tight enough, (with exception to the Bamboos, but they should be certifed!)

Infact in my opinion, these imitators are practically baggy round the mid-rif.

Fair enough, man! The Classmates has got more edge to it, that's for sure! Can't argue with that :rolleyes:

Social source share

If he had been smart and auctioned it it would have fetched more than it's fetching now, I'm pretty sure of that! :rolleyes:

I think John said he had a box in his interview with Snowboy smile.gif

Social source share

well I disagree I may be in the minority here (won't be for the first time) but I think the Chris Columbus version of Tighten Up is great

I`m with you on this one Val thumbsup.gif ,the Billy Ball version is far to messy for the Soul crowd and is poor compared to "CCATSG" i think the "CC" fits in better,and yes i agree with you lot on the "AB" version thumbsup.gif

Dave f.......

Social source share

laugh.gif:lol: ,good point James thumbsup.gif

Dave f........

Hi all, yeah Archie is the killer diller. Wan't there another version by (not sure of all the group name) someone and the criminal element (all cons), seem to remember on the radio in the 80's maybe martyn collins or louie martin chiltern soul show. NO JUST FOUND IT ON YOU TUBE I TALK SHITE .... Ill just go back in my darkened room and perform an act of frightfulness on meself......

Edited by kimbo
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Archie Bells is of course good, but Chris Columbus is superior on many levels.

I'm afraid you're going to have to name each and every one of those 'levels' for me, James, because all I can hear is a piece of sh*t.

A poorly-performed and badly-produced (belated) cover version is superior to Archie Bell - one of the most groundbreaking, style-changing records in the entire history of black music? You're 'avin a giraffe, surely!

People really do need to stop mistaking rarity for quality. Although, given the amount of times that it's been done on the soul and funk scenes, I don't suppose they ever will...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

this is my favourite, Bamboos is good too, if heavy.

the 'tighten up on the drums' bit on the original is rubbish, it cries out for a nice fat breakbeat there

Records are meant to be judged as records, not as breakbeats. Still, I'm sure that, if the TSU Toronadoes' drummer had been psychic and able to see into the late 80s, he would have created a nice fat breakbeat just for you... :lol:

Let me say it one more time for anyone else out there who isn't getting the message. The original's still the greatest...

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

this is my favourite, Bamboos is good too, if heavy.

the 'tighten up on the drums' bit on the original is rubbish, it cries out for a nice fat breakbeat there

I'll fish out the Bamboos 45, sort an MP3...

Agree about the drumming on AB, it's not the best, and is very weak compared to Chris Columbus, Bamboos and the Classmates especially.

Tony, not sure anyone is into rarity over quality, surely? And no matter how many times you say it it won't make AB better than third or forth place, and that's behind an Australian cover version made a couple of years ago :lol::lol: It's still good though, great even, just not quite as great as these other versions...

Social source share

Records are meant to be judged as records, not as breakbeats.

So do people in this thread know how to DO the tighten up? Apparently one of the lamest dances ever actually. My friend saw archie bell at ponderosa stomp a few years ago, he demonstrated the dance. To do the tighten up you just have to sort of squat and make a motion with your right hand like you're tightening up a screwdriver, and then you can do anything with your legs. THAT'S LIKE THE LAMEST DANCE I'VE EVER HEARD OF. Someone showed me how they did it in chicago, instead of squatting you put their arms out to sides parallel to the ground and do a tightenting up motion with both hands at the same time while slowly walking left and right. Still ultra-lame but less lame than the original. How that dance goes with the music I have no idea...

Social source share

So do people in this thread know how to DO the tighten up? Apparently one of the lamest dances ever actually. My friend saw archie bell at ponderosa stomp a few years ago, he demonstrated the dance. To do the tighten up you just have to sort of squat and make a motion with your right hand like you're tightening up a screwdriver, and then you can do anything with your legs. THAT'S LIKE THE LAMEST DANCE I'VE EVER HEARD OF. Someone showed me how they did it in chicago, instead of squatting you put their arms out to sides parallel to the ground and do a tightenting up motion with both hands at the same time while slowly walking left and right. Still ultra-lame but less lame than the original. How that dance goes with the music I have no idea...

HAve you ever seen the Funky 4 / 8 /16 Corners practiced Bob? - line dancing plain and simple! :lol:

Social source share

I think the best version has got to be Billy T. & The Peace Makers "Tighten Up Tighter". REM is a close second! :ohmy:

Anyone notice that he says his name is Jimmy Lee, not Billy T., in the intro!?!? :huh:

Social source share

Oh Lord, that's awful :lol: ....it's so bad it makes Chris Columbus sound good.

It is Chris Columbus, just a alternative mix that's all. Got a WDJ for sale if anyone's intereted. :D

Social source share

Records are meant to be judged as records, not as breakbeats. Still, I'm sure that, if the TSU Toronadoes' drummer had been psychic and able to see into the late 80s, he would have created a nice fat breakbeat just for you... :lol:

well, Benny Gordon's drummer managed it... and it's nothing to do with judging records as breakbeats, when he says 'Tighten up on the drums!' you're expecting something decent to happen, same as any of those 'formula' records, like Memphis Soul Stew, etc.

don't think i like any of the TSU Toronadoes stuff i've heard, come to think of it...

Let me say it one more time for anyone else out there who dares to disagree with my tastes and prefer a different version. The original's still the greatest...

:ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!