Will The Real Simon Soussan Stand Up

Drew3

A black RCA haul of over 300 pcs which included most of the winners.

Average sale price was £10. A few even cheaper as Rod Shard reminded me earlier this week!

At least it got Wigan out of my hair and new found business status as dumb as I was. Ha!

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Who was playing x over and RnB in 73 ? And modern was surely new released soul played by the likes of Colin Curtis ? Just an observation

No one was playing crossover etc in 73. I was trying to make the point that if Simon had stuck with northern, would he have been able to pick the winners as new styles of music got played from late 70s to now. I suspect not as he was too far away to pick up on new trends and only liked the sort of records he was sending over to Russ. His hatred of funk has already been shown so I don't think he would have liked new stuff. However we'll never know.

Rick

Social source share

I understand that Simon liked fast soul records, and his hatred for funk, however he soon moved into disco with shalimar, patti Brookes etc, so he knew how to divert his talents away from 4 /4 northern stompers !

However some of the real records he discovered were and indeed to this day are absolute belters.

He played the game well, the titles that didn't exist , the cover up names etc - all essential to the scene at the time, what would Simon make of the current plays eg RnB y2k modern ?? I'd say he would dismiss them as z list spins, and if you compare the "new" discoveries to some of Simons classics they really don't compare do they . Velvet satins, Danny Monday , epitome of sound, yes these are overplayed to some, dismissed by many , but still fabulous records that continue to be played and enjoyed today .

Social source share

Just to add, I like some of the RnB sounds and the very occasional modern 70s onwards tracks .

I despise these re-edits that are currently doing the rounds, and let's be honest here, the Barry white effort , the candi staten mess etc are all truly horrendous slabs of vinyl pain. I do hope these disappear faster than the terrifics and the soul fox orchestra :)

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I understand that Simon liked fast soul records, and his hatred for funk, however he soon moved into disco with shalimar, patti Brookes etc, so he knew how to divert his talents away from 4 /4 northern stompers !

However some of the real records he discovered were and indeed to this day are absolute belters.

He played the game well, the titles that didn't exist , the cover up names etc - all essential to the scene at the time, what would Simon make of the current plays eg RnB y2k modern ?? I'd say he would dismiss them as z list spins, and if you compare the "new" discoveries to some of Simons classics they really don't compare do they . Velvet satins, Danny Monday , epitome of sound, yes these are overplayed to some, dismissed by many , but still fabulous records that continue to be played and enjoyed today .

Velvet Satins, Danny Monday etc are indeed classics and do stand the test of time. But in mine and I think many others views there are lots of records discovered post peak time Wigan that match if not exceed them. We've all got different tastes e.g I've never liked Epitome of sound but go some feel it's the pinnacle. That's what makes this thing of ours interesting :)

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Rick, any chance you could post the remaining lists...mine disappeared years ago..

Sheff'

List 60 from May 1973

post-16601-0-22121400-1428871606_thumb.j

post-16601-0-99491300-1428871582_thumb.j

post-16601-0-41761900-1428871561_thumb.j

Single page list from July 73

post-16601-0-89140500-1428871662_thumb.j

Rick

ps.

I kept Soussan's lists but don't have an auction list I did in 75 or 76. I'd be very grateful if anyone that has a copy could get in touch, thanks.

Social source share

Sheff'

List 60 from May 1973

attachicon.gifsimon s list 60 001.jpg

attachicon.gifsimon s list 60 002.jpg

attachicon.gifsimon s list 60 003.jpg

Single page list from July 73

attachicon.gifspecial sup list 001.jpg

Rick

ps.

I kept Soussan's lists but don't have an auction list I did in 75 or 76. I'd be very grateful if anyone that has a copy could get in touch, thanks.

thanks..its appreciated..

Social source share

Was that the trip where in a million to one chance I ended up sitting next to you and polishing off all your and your lass of the time's wine? Ady

Ha......I think that was a bit later that year. Thanks for reminding me....I have the wine drank and sold me Black RCA's for nowt  :lol:

Social source share

Ha......I think that was a bit later that year. Thanks for reminding me....I have the wine drank and sold me Black RCA's for nowt  :lol:

You two weren't drinking it so you very kindly gave me yours and every time the air hostess came round I got three mini bottles of red wine. I remember that better than the records I found. I must have been frightening company.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Did you know him when he was in Leeds Julian?

The only N.S. person I can remember who knew him from back then was Al ??????? from Halifax - the recreational rock climber who was always pretty zapped up but knew his British stuff especially well. Apparently he met Simon in Jumbos whilst listening to Jimmy James "A Man Like Me" on Stateside as a new release and Simon came up to the counter saying "excuse me, excuse me but what ees zees record? It elates me, it excites me, it unblocks my nostrils!"

Simon repeated the above story to me in L.A. and said that Al ?????? introduced him to Northern Soul following that meeting and within months he was off to New York hunting for Northern............

And the 'unblock my nostrils' quip was pure Simon and he built it into his routine everytime we went crate-digging. A typical exchange would be when Simon would suddenly stop digging and pull out a record....

He'd then hold the record directly in front of his eyes and say "Hey, baby boy. Are you're nostrils blocked my friend? Well, you will breathe forever when you hear this baby boy. I have just found the ultimate sinus-deblocker"!

And he'd usually be right. He had a photographic memory for label credits and could usually spot a 'good possibility' Northern unknown immediately, usually from a tiny credit buried away on the label. I have to give him that.

Anyone got any scans of his lists handy? The sheer scale of some of them was daunting.

Also I haven't mentioned it yet, but his personal collection was staggering when I was there. He didn't have quantity but, boy, he sure had some quality there. He kept the collection in his office at his Hollywood pad which was directly next to the pool and they were all housed in wooden, lockable cabinets right the way around the room. He reckoned that he also had over 100,000 records in storage but I never saw 'em. But the stuff in his office. Phew!

Every so often I'd be in there and he'd say, "are you ready for a sinus-deblocker that will rip your nose to shreds baby boy"? And he'd put a record of staggering brilliance on.

I'd say, "Jesus Christ. What the F*&k is THIS?

And he'd say "a very, very rare record baby boy. I have zee only one and I must find another one before I unveil zees record to England".

I'd then jump up to look at the label and he'd snatch it off the turntable.....

And I'd say "C'mon Simon. You're nuts man. This is a huge record!"

And he'd look at me, smile and say "sinus-deblockers don't grow on trees baby boy".

Ian D rolleyes.gif

Sounds like Alan Stephenson.

Can't be many rock climbers from Halifax off their tits like Alan was.

Social source share

Velvet Satins, Danny Monday etc are indeed classics and do stand the test of time. But in mine and I think many others views there are lots of records discovered post peak time Wigan that match if not exceed them. We've all got different tastes e.g I've never liked Epitome of sound but go some feel it's the pinnacle. That's what makes this thing of ours interesting :)

actually I'm with Byrney on this too - a lot of great things discovered post wigan

one thing that i have always wondered though is this - 

everyone always talks about "that came out of Levines collection when he sold up" - however, knowing some of the stuff that did come out of IL's collection, I'm wondering if IL knew what was there in his collection.

OR, did he have his collection that he played from AND THEN loads of records that he had never gone through and therefore didn't realise what was there (60's newies etc. is what i am referring to) with the potential to be big

just curious really

Social source share

actually I'm with Byrney on this too - a lot of great things discovered post wigan

one thing that i have always wondered though is this - 

everyone always talks about "that came out of Levines collection when he sold up" - however, knowing some of the stuff that did come out of IL's collection, I'm wondering if IL knew what was there in his collection.

OR, did he have his collection that he played from AND THEN loads of records that he had never gone through and therefore didn't realise what was there (60's newies etc. is what i am referring to) with the potential to be big

just curious really

Ian had thousands of unknown 45's that were impossible to play due to the moment in time, hence the famous 'last hour' where he and Colin would be playing obscurities such as The Montclairs on Arch, Celeste Hardie, Delilah Moore, Connie Laverne on GSF, Keni Lewis-What's Her Name etc.

The reason they took years to be re-discovered/matured is due to the way the scene changed in the mid 70's(Wigan Pop heavy '75, Mecca more Disco and 70's friendly.). As he started to sell off his collection in 1979, the sheer volume of 60's 'newies' started to emerge.

Edited by The Golden 101
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!