• Replies 51
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

really bad pop record of the worst kind :D

Well said, totally agree. Proof, if proof were ever needed, that rarity and price do not equal quality.

Social source share

The strange world of N.Soul :D ......bet the seller is out celebrating ....not knocking the tune think its ok, but cant imagine its that rare in numbers issued, Joe Jama is quite a popular latin artist so would think there is quite a few copies kicking around out there just a case of available copies out stripping demand ....dangerous ground if you are a buyer !!!

Social source share

Used to love the record when covered as Little Henry (I presume after Henry Atkinson who discovered it) by Tim. Soon got sick of hearing it as other copies turned up. How many copies, who knows, there was the I think 25 count that the guy was said to have had and copies have been for sale but still a rare record, approx 15 showing on popsike with the last one $2300 last August.

The price did drop to around the mid 100's at one time. No matter what anyone says about the record it's a guaranteed floor filler so maybe thats why dj's (I presume it's dj's paying these prices) want it.....no imagination :D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Great record ( although hammerd ) much better then that Arthur Willis that Mrdarcy rates :g:

just seen ya post simon....will assume it's a wind up and a jolly good wheeze it was. If by some crazy reason though you are serious and i'm sure your not.

you might not like Arthur Willis,but you can be sure it's a quality,quality SOUL record....Joe Jampot on the other hand is an out and out piece of pop shite that beggars belief why anyone would pay good money to hear let alone buy. this is a wanna be djs must have.

question. If you went to the states and found 6 copies of j.j and 6 copies of A.W,but you must leave one or other of them behind.I can tell you what most every collector/soul fan would leave....It's not a matter of taste this is a soul scene not a pop scene end of.

Social source share

really bad pop record of the worst kind :g:

Never rated it myself either - I suppose it's one of the many 'Records to have'. Gawd knows why.

Len.

THIS POST HAS BEEN, CHECKED, DOUBLE CHECKED AND TREBLE CHECKED...IF YOU ARE IN ANY WAY OFFENDED BY IT...F*CK OFF! NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU!!! (WITHOUT PREJUDICE)

Social source share

you might not like Arthur Willis,but you can be sure it's a quality,quality SOUL record....Joe Jampot on the other hand is an out and out piece of pop shite that beggars belief why anyone would pay good money to hear let alone buy. this is a wanna be djs must have.

question. If you went to the states and found 6 copies of j.j and 6 copies of A.W,but you must leave one or other of them behind.I can tell you what most every collector/soul fan would leave....It's not a matter of taste this is a soul scene not a pop scene end of.

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

LETS HAVE A VOTE THEN...do you leave joey jampot behind in the states or do you leave arthur willis behind in the states.

THIS VOTE IS OPEN TO ALL SOUL FANS ON THIS SITE.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH THOUGH SIMON YOU WILL PROBABLY BE RIGHT....only about 30% of the folk on this scene like soul.

tezzie

Social source share

LETS HAVE A VOTE THEN...do you leave joey jampot behind in the states or do you leave arthur willis behind in the states.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH THOUGH SIMON YOU WILL PROBABLY BE RIGHT....only about 30% of the folk on this scene like soul.

tezzie

Even Rod Shard( who discoverd the record ) said he found Arthur Willis reggae like . It would have to be a vote on quality not of finding vinyl though ..

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

tezzie

Go on Terry my son GREAT to see the angry brigade in full flow :g:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Even Rod Shard( who discoverd the record ) said he found Arthur Willis reggae like . It would have to be a vote on quality not of finding vinyl though ..

simon, the fact that someone actually thought this was a soul record is one I would not want to own up to. By your own admission you like a pop record and you don't like a soul record (in this case). Or are you saying Rod Shard knew this was pop but he also knew that like most sing along poppy things like this it would fill the dancefloors as did/does joey delorenzo Iwill conceed it does fill the dancefloors,but all that proves is the punters like pop.there are plenty of soul records I don't like personally at venues,thats a matter of taste in soul records......but joe jamma is pure unadulterated pop music. next thing people will be playing duffy just coz keb darge and liam are dancing on the video.

tel boy

Social source share

simon, the fact that someone actually thought this was a soul record is one I would not want to own up to. By your own admission you like a pop record and you don't like a soul record (in this case). Or are you saying Rod Shard knew this was pop but he also knew that like most sing along poppy things like this it would fill the dancefloors as did/does joey delorenzo Iwill conceed it does fill the dancefloors,but all that proves is the punters like pop.there are plenty of soul records I don't like personally at venues,thats a matter of taste in soul records......but joe jamma is pure unadulterated pop music. next thing people will be playing duffy just coz keb darge and liam are dancing on the video.

tel boy

Duffy !! Noooo that is over steppng the mark by a long way :g: by the way Rod found Arthur Willis , not sure who found Joe Jama

Social source share

Hard to believe that this is even up for debate, two records at complete opposite ends of the soul scale. :ohmy:

Arthur Willis is without doubt a proper soul record, and Joe Jamma is an awful Chicano wannabe that completely fails to find any soul footing.....just my opinion...but I know I'm right :(

And for what it's worth Mr DArcy...you're way over the top at 30% :lol:

Right, can we have the next two contestants....DJ Genesis vs Robert Tanner perhaps, it's just about as relevant :g:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

arthur willis is very average and would get little interest if it wasnt so rare .

so my vote goes for joe jama , probably one of the best dance records to have been played in the last few years

you know ive always had better taste than you tessie :g:

thats typical from a wanna be dj type like whot you is.... :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Go on Terry my son GREAT to see the angry brigade in full flow :g:

ello gazzer me old mate.....how the devil are ya....hope to see you about at a venue ooop north soon :ohmy::lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Would luv one, a white demo would be my preference with those big brown long black hair, haunting muted trumpet, repetitive rhythm for 1970 it sounds more 1964.

Ho Hum.

I knew a girl once who had long black hair........on her legs :g:

Social source share

Did she have a Joe Jama tucked away anywhere in the undergrowth ??

Pop music, I realy can't imagine this in the charts with some of these gems.

December 27, 1969 - January 2, 1970:

Someday We'll Be Together - Diana Ross & The Supremes

January 3 - January 30:

Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head - B. J. Thomas

January 31 - February 6:

I Want You Back - The Jackson 5

February 7 - February 13:

Venus - The Shocking Blue

February 14 - February 27:

Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)/Everybody is a Star - Sly & The Family Stone

February 28 - April 10:

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel

April 11 - April 24:

Let It Be - The Beatles

April 25 - May 8:

ABC - The Jackson 5

May 9 - May 29:

American Woman - The Guess Who

May 30 - June 12:

Everything Is Beautiful - Ray Stevens

June 13 - June 26:

The Long And Winding Road - The Beatles

June 27 - July 10:

The Love You Save - The Jackson 5

July 11 - July 24:

Mama Told Me (Not To Come) - Three Dog Night

July 25 - August 21:

(They Long To Be) Close To You - The Carpenters

August 22 - August 28:

Make It With You - Bread

August 29 - September 18:

War - Edwin Starr

September 19 - October 9:

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross

October 10 - October 16:

Cracklin' Rosie - Neil Diamond

October 17 - November 20:

I'll Be There - The Jackson 5

November 21 - December 12:

I Think I Love You - The Partridge Family

December 12 - December 25:

The Tears of a Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

December 26, 1970 - January 22, 1971:

My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

missed it by quite a few quid did i :lol: £1500 to be precise :lol:

I would love to have a copy but then again i want jsut about everything but with what precious little money i do have i like to spend wisely nowadays :lol:

shocking price for that though :D

Social source share

missed it by quite a few quid did i :lol: £1500 to be precise :lol:

I would love to have a copy but then again i want jsut about everything but with what precious little money i do have i like to spend wisely nowadays :lol:

shocking price for that though :D

No you don't want this overplayed piece of boredom Bearsy..... :lol:

Fill your box with more interesting sounds young man!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

No you don't want this overplayed piece of boredom Bearsy..... :lol:

Steve they are all my wants just like your The Appointments :lol: they are all wants cos i cant afford them but if it was a £50 record i would own a copy but £1500 for that :lol: its good but not that bloody good :lol:

anyway who needs big money overplayed tunes when there are so many £5/10 records out there that are just as good sounding :D

that last sentance was purely pc for those with a wallet as big as mine :lol:

fook it i want all the big money quality tunes i like as much as i want all the cheap priced quality tunes :lol: there aint fook all wrong with wanting is there :D

Social source share

Interesting debate guys. On the one hand I would love a copy of Joe Jammer but on the other it is no way worth £1500 for a beat up copy. Or is it? Loads of different bidders chased it to that price in open auction! I agree with Jem, there must be plenty out there in Tex Mex land yet to be discovered. As for its merits as a record, well that's just down to personal opinion. Pop versus Reggae? Pop for me i'm afraid. Sadly poor old Joe will get hammered to death so not sure that it's a good investment. Funny how the feel good factor, dance floor fillers get panned by the critics.

:D Steve.

Social source share

In defense of the real Chicano Soul sound, Joe Jama and ALL of his Optimum releases are simply the real deal. Pop, underground, Northern, not northern, whatever..bottom line - his releases with the Royal Jesters are absolutely brilliant. "Phases of Time" is simply stand out, as well as "My Life" regardless is what ever little 'judging scale' you decide to weigh the single out on, bottom line - it's a great dancer. Here, there, or anywhere.

I would expect more out of the contributors on this forum. A classic is a classic no matter how many times the singles has been banged out. Yes, we all get tired of 'the hits'. But something like this, it's just disappointing to hear so much praise one year and then this sort of criticism, the next.

Ps. There is more to the Tex Mex sound, than Mariachis. In reality, Mariachis are from Mexico. We listen to Conjunto and Norteno, from the North.

Jaime Lopez

San Anto, Tejas,

DDSS Radio - 91.7fm

Edited by SoulBoy74
Social source share

Interesting debate guys. On the one hand I would love a copy of Joe Jammer but on the other it is no way worth £1500 for a beat up copy. Or is it? Loads of different bidders chased it to that price in open auction! I agree with Jem, there must be plenty out there in Tex Mex land yet to be discovered. As for its merits as a record, well that's just down to personal opinion. Pop versus Reggae? Pop for me i'm afraid. Sadly poor old Joe will get hammered to death so not sure that it's a good investment. Funny how the feel good factor, dance floor fillers get panned by the critics.

:thumbsup: Steve.

The copy for sale in Butch's box is Ex and priced at £1800

Social source share

In defense of the real Chicano Soul sound, Joe Jama and ALL of his Optimum releases are simply the real deal. Pop, underground, Northern, not northern, whatever..bottom line - his releases with the Royal Jesters are absolutely brilliant. "Phases of Time" is simply stand out, as well as "My Life" regardless is what ever little 'judging scale' you decide to weigh the single out on, bottom line - it's a great dancer. Here, there, or anywhere.

I would expect more out of the contributors on this forum. A classic is a classic no matter how many times the singles has been banged out. Yes, we all get tired of 'the hits'. But something like this, it's just disappointing to hear so much praise one year and then this sort of criticism, the next.

Ps. There is more to the Tex Mex sound, than Mariachis. In reality, Mariachis are from Mexico. We listen to Conjunto and Norteno, from the North.

Jaime Lopez

San Anto, Tejas,

DDSS Radio - 91.7fm

Hi Jaime

Thanx for your valued contribution

Certainly seems to have shut em up eh wink.gif

HEY PRESTO :shades:

https://cgi.ebay.com/JOE-JAMA-MY-LIFE-RARE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Social source share

Beats me why anyone would part with 1000 - 1500 quid for this, particularly in poor condition. Nice enough tune but a bit plodding.

Unless its just easy come easy go - look at me I've got Joe Jama. It does seem to come up for sale a lot considering it goes for 1500 or so.

Hey Ho, what do I know.

Social source share

• 9 months later...
Guest spreaderone

Last year on the Dean Anderson radio show.when Mick H spoke to him live.mick asked him did he have any copys,no he replyed but my brother has them some were in his Barn,

keep watching ebay ,they have to surface sooner or later

Pete Spread

Social source share

tezzie

I vote for Joe :lol:

it's Northern Soul alright...love it. But you're right, I like Northern Soul way way more than I like Soul

Social source share

No you don't want this overplayed piece of boredom Bearsy..... laugh.gif

like Joe Jama Steve laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!