Ann Arbor Soul Club, Michigan, U.s.a

Bit late with this as it was a month ago.

Brad and Rob who run this, have done really well to build it up to be one of the best rare soul nites in the U.S.

Runs on a monthly basis @ The Blind Pig, downtown, Ann Arbor with attendance from mainly Michigan. But from time to time the Pittsburgh crew make the 5 five hour drive over. Juddy and co had planned to make it to this one, but the weather was sh*t, so they didn't make it. But that aside, over 300 in and the place was rockin' from early doors. Malayka and I join in with Brad and Rob djing on a continual rotation maybe 10 records at a time. So the time just flew away.

The crowd were mainly 20 something and just up for every thing. 60's, 70's, 80's and Malayka even threw in Sweet Vandals-Too much on Unique and Mary's Mine on Sunday Soul and the floor didn't miss a beat. Brad & Rob played a nice mix and bit of everything, Larry Wright-Sweet sweet kisses and Dennis Edwards-Johnnie on the spot to kickin' funk. Funny feeling to be playing these tunes, just a stones throw from where the were cut.

Always the first friday in the month, don't miss it if your in Michigan, only about 40 mins from downtown Detroit.

• Replies 4
  • Views 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bit late with this as it was a month ago.

Brad and Rob who run this, have done really well to build it up to be one of the best rare soul nites in the U.S.

Runs on a monthly basis @ The Blind Pig, downtown, Ann Arbor with attendance from mainly Michigan. But from time to time the Pittsburgh crew make the 5 five hour drive over. Juddy and co had planned to make it to this one, but the weather was sh*t, so they didn't make it. But that aside, over 300 in and the place was rockin' from early doors. Malayka and I join in with Brad and Rob djing on a continual rotation maybe 10 records at a time. So the time just flew away.

The crowd were mainly 20 something and just up for every thing. 60's, 70's, 80's and Malayka even threw in Sweet Vandals-Too much on Unique and Mary's Mine on Sunday Soul and the floor didn't miss a beat. Brad & Rob played a nice mix and bit of everything, Larry Wright-Sweet sweet kisses and Dennis Edwards-Johnnie on the spot to kickin' funk. Funny feeling to be playing these tunes, just a stones throw from where the were cut.

Always the first friday in the month, don't miss it if your in Michigan, only about 40 mins from downtown Detroit.

I know in America it's almost against the law not to dance with a partner of the opposite sex, so is this the case here, or do people dance solo as in the UK?

I know in America it's almost against the law not to dance with a partner of the opposite sex, so is this the case here, or do people dance solo as in the UK?

I'm not kidding when I say it was hard to tell the floor was rammed, but no they were doing there own thing. But they were young, they will learn. :thumbsup:

What % is Northern? Do they have a web site? When is the next one? Now the f##king snow is disappearing we will try and make the next one.

About 80% northern, rest is a bit of modern and funk, just to give a bit of a mix, but all soul. They even play a bit of R&B, but I'll forgive them that. It is held on the first friday of the month. They have a Myspace site

https://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=106590177

Dave