Favourite Recent Soul Track

Guest rachel

Guest rachel

I hope Sean doesn't mind me stealing his quote, but I felt it was a bit lost in the Duffy (take 467) topic and worthy of more attention.

And as a footnote to that - after a few hours sleep - the truth is, I hardly get as much time as I'd like to listen to authentic new and recent Black American Soul Music... so I wouldn't normally be seeking out Welsh Pop music or be expecting to hear it at a Soul night (at the expense of the genuine article.

So, without changing the direction of the thread too much... what's your favourite, recent, authentic, new soul record?

Sean

Some replies on there were Angie Stone, Estelle, Nicole Willis... so what's yours? It doesn't matter if it's a "sit and listen to at home" or an "I'd play this out" track, doesn't even have to be just one track, could be the artist that's doing it for you at the moment, or a selection of recently released (lets say in the last couple of years) songs that you really like. If you're going to add soundfiles please remember the no mp3 attachments rule - this is even more important with recent releases!! And please please no 'Duffy - is it Northern/ Soul/ Pop?' arguments on this thread :D

Off to have a little think about my choices... :D

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest rachel

OK, well at the moment I'm quite taken with this lot - https://www.babycharles.co.uk/audio/ - fantastic voice, nice mixture of soul/ jazz/ funk/ latin influences, definitely going for the 'retro' feel but doing it well I think. I particularly like the LP track "This Time" (soundclip on the link above).

Social source share

I hope Sean doesn't mind me stealing his quote, but I felt it was a bit lost in the Duffy (take 467) topic and worthy of more attention.

Don't mind a bit Rachel... go for it!

I'll nominate Ryan Shaw "I Am Your Man".... purely cos I know its on here (somewhere) but I've loads of others!

Been a VERY fruitful 12 months for real Soul music.

:D

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

"You're The One" by Kings Go Forth. Out in June, I'll have copies for sale, clip on their myspace page here

Best new thing for me personally in a long time. F**kin awesome. The other stuff on there is quality too, inc a deep thing, a funk cut and some ska/reggae type stuff.

Social source share

"You're The One" by Kings Go Forth. Out in June, I'll have copies for sale, clip on their myspace page here

Best new thing for me personally in a long time. F**kin awesome. The other stuff on there is quality too, inc a deep thing, a funk cut and some ska/reggae type stuff.

Goooood choice :D Looking forward to this 45!

Social source share

KGF get my vote as well. Sounded just as good live as the recordings did, with a HUGE sound from an 8 piece band. Looking forward to getting the 45 asap!

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

KGF get my vote as well. Sounded just as good live as the recordings did, with a HUGE sound from an 8 piece band. Looking forward to getting the 45 asap!

wow, first im hearing this. pretty amazing.

Social source share

Awesome retro sound !! :D

Social source share

Off the Togetherness 2007 CD I particularly like:

Karl Frierson - Ten Minutes

Wahoo - Don't Take It Personal

But I enjoy the whole CD.

Plenty of others I really like, I get quite a few from my mates who are into current soul, but need to look at the CDs. Don't know if these 2 count as they must be 4 or 5 years old, but I'd love to have them on vinyl:

U.B.P. feat Bobby Pruitt - We Are One

Joi Cardwell - Let It Go

It seems Soul Sam is playing them.

Social source share

I can't stop playing the new Angela Johnson CD, there's a great mix of deeper and mid-tempo tunes, with stand out tracks for me being Wait on A Maybe with Marlon Saunders, and Cryin' Over You with Angus & Lisala :D

Other recent CDs well worth picking up are Blak Ice, Gordon Nelson, and Tina Broussard....

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

:thumbsup:

pisses on that duffy tripe.

Social source share

My current 'Recent Soul' faves amongst others are -

POOKIE LANE - SOUTHERN WOMAN The whole CD. Can't praise it enough :thumbsup:

SNATCH NELSON - LA DA DA Taken from Ride It Like A Pony CD

LARRY HAMILTON - YOU CAN HAVE IT YOUR WAY

PEE WEE CALLINS - KEEP HOPE ALIVE Taken from Street Soul CD

Pat

Social source share

I've been waiting ages for the Baby Charles album, i think its now finally out.

My favourite newie though is 'Hello its me' - Mary J Blige, off the new 'Growing Pains' release. Awesome tune, which would fit in perfectly with todays scene.

Be careful........said cut only appears on JAP copies!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Some recent (within the last few years) tunes Ive enjoyed:

Hardsoul feat Ron carroll: Back together

Carolyn Harding: Strength

Blaze: Love is on the way

Was a Bee: This is what you are

Ledisi: My sensitivity

Kerri Chandler: Tomorrow (so soulful this one!)

Al Green: Everything's OK

Havent bought much newis stuff lately, going back to the 6ts/7ts/8ts more in the last couple of years.

Social source share

Please can we have refosoul clips of the tracks mentioned in this thread ? !!!! :lol:

You know, some of us live in far flung soul-less places outside of the UK scene and we don't have the means or access to buy or investigate these recent tunes :lol:

Start posting please !!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

that Kings Go Forth has certainly got a good sound, but I find the main problem nowadays is good songwriting. Mercy was at least a good song, just produced blandly and ineptly.

Recently I really like Sharon Jones '100 days 100 nights'. Retro or not, it's just a strong tune and the production is impeccable. I too would be interested to hear some new soul, even if more modern sounding, if anyone can post clips up.

Edited by mik parry
Social source share

So many quality tracks in the last couple of years that i`ve lost count (i`ve lost count how many quality tracks have came out this year !). A few good tracks mentioned (although some were 2 or more years old) but it`s really just the tip of the iceberg. I`ve said it before and i`ll say it again this is a golden age for new/recent independent soul music (probably the best since the mid eighties) but the lack of gigs featuring the music means that most people are unaware of it .

Even on the radio how many people listen to Mick O Donnell`s Soul Discovery show which plays this type of music almost exclusively or radio shows by Mark Randle or Steve Jackson (among others) who also feature plenty of new independents.

Rather than me naming tracks just go to www.209radio.co.uk and click on the forum and look under the Soul Discovery posts for loads of playlists going back for nearly 3 years. this will certainly give you a taster of what`s out there.

Mark Houghton

Social source share

So many quality tracks in the last couple of years that i`ve lost count (i`ve lost count how many quality tracks have came out this year !). A few good tracks mentioned (although some were 2 or more years old) but it`s really just the tip of the iceberg. I`ve said it before and i`ll say it again this is a golden age for new/recent independent soul music (probably the best since the mid eighties) but the lack of gigs featuring the music means that most people are unaware of it .

Even on the radio how many people listen to Mick O Donnell`s Soul Discovery show which plays this type of music almost exclusively or radio shows by Mark Randle or Steve Jackson (among others) who also feature plenty of new independents.

Rather than me naming tracks just go to www.209radio.co.uk and click on the forum and look under the Soul Discovery posts for loads of playlists going back for nearly 3 years. this will certainly give you a taster of what`s out there.

Mark Houghton

Mark , are these just playlists onn the various websites, or can we actually listen to soundclips of individual tracks and whole shows?

Social source share

first time ive heard of kings go forth too but thet get my vote...will look out for them,even the reggae/ska stuff aint to cheesy which is good for yanks !!

on a ska tip has to be anphetameanies

i actually liked amys album :thumbsup: ...great tune about her friends boyfriend nicking her weed !

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

i actually liked amys album :thumbsup: ...great tune about her friends boyfriend nicking her weed !

Oh no, here we go again...

This is a thread called "Favourite recent SOUL Track". I quite liked AW's recent album, too. I also liked recent albums by Kate Nash and KT Tunstall but they are not a topic for a soul forum, and nor is AW...

Can we stay on point, please?

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I m with Cliff, love the Angela Johnson Woman s Touch , which showcases some of the best in current soul artists.

I m also listening to Sir Wick, Reel People and a bit of Swing out Sister from the new one which is a nice alternative to Duffy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Swing out Sister from the new one which is a nice alternative to Duffy :lol:

Silence, I find, is also a nice alternative to D---- :thumbsup:

Social source share

Be careful........said cut only appears on JAP copies!!

Cheers,

Mark R

It's on the UK version too Mark.

https://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProduct...&sku=718627

I think it's her best CD in a long time. "In The Morning" and "Just Fine" are fab.

The aforementioned Sir Wick CD is also very good/ "Thank You Lord" and "You Are My Everything" are superb.

https://cdbaby.com/cd/sirwick

Social source share

Guest rachel

Please can we have refosoul clips of the tracks mentioned in this thread ? !!!! :lol:

You know, some of us live in far flung soul-less places outside of the UK scene and we don't have the means or access to buy or investigate these recent tunes :lol:

Unfortunately refosoul is still victim to 'upgrade work' at the moment.. but in the meantime you could try the following for some soundclips of recent releases...

https://www.crazybeat.co.uk

https://www.tunes.co.uk

https://www.juno.co.uk

https://www.amazon.com (US site is better for clips of albums than UK one for some reason)

https://cdbaby.com

https://www.soulbrother.com/

Social source share

Im not technically advanced enough to post sounds.

Just buy the Tuomo (if you can get it) and if you dont like it I will buy it off you for one of my raffles.

Tip _ Keith Money put me onto it and its f888king amazing :lol:

Social source share

Guest rachel

Some great choices there, lots new to me, spent most of last night on a MySpace/ record shop sites voyage of discovery :thumbsup: Not all to my taste but it's good to know there are artists out there recording this quality of original material.

I'm also quite liking this cover version by Spanish funk band the Sweet Vandals...

https://www.funkoramarecords.com/TheSweetVa...at_sgoingon.mp3

Social source share

If it helps, my most recent show (last Monday) can be found here:

https://download.yousendit.com/E968BF5D4DC6FAC0

Playlist:

Lamone - Hangin' Out (US Xcluxive One CD)

Ashanti Munir feat. Leon Beal Jr. - Follow Your Heart (US Grooveallegiance CD)

The Embers - Makin' Love To You (US Bluewater Recordings CD)

One51 feat. Heidi Vogel - Bring Me To Your Life (JAP Victor Entertainment CD)

Kimara Lovelace - Merry Go Round (UK Newlite Muzik 12")

Maurice (Jackson) - It's Been Revealed (US Glomar Music CD)

Gary Wyatt with The Jackson Sistas - You Are My Everything (US Gold Glove Records CD)

Walt Cummingham Jr. feat. Janet Salter - Forgive & Heal (US One Soul In Prosperity CD)

Bob Baldwin feat. Phil Perry - Too Late (US NuGroove Music CD)

The Brooklyn Knights Orch. feat. The Temple Dynasty - He'll Give You Shelter (UK Audio Groove MP3)

Markus Enochson feat. Jocelyn Mathieu & Ingela Olson - If There Is (Sole Channel Vocal) (US Symple Soul 12")

Omar Cunningham feat. Daybreakk - The Right Woman (US Soul 1st Records CD)

Blak Ice - Next To You (US Wolfville Music CD)

Lavonz - You Said It All (UK Trippin' Records CD)

Soul Folk feat. Will Hammond Jr. - Your Love (US Dreamtree Entertainment CD)

Gregory Del Piero feat. Kenny Bobien - Don't You Ever Get (Kings Of Deep Soulful Remix) (EU Raisani Records 12")

Barbara Tucker & Marc Evans - We Are (Muthafunkaz 12" Vocal) (UK Code Red 12")

Jaheim - Roster (JAP Atlantic CD)

Lina - Everyday (US Mood Star Recordings CD)

Nhojj - Peace & Blessings (US Black Angel Records CD)

North "2unes" Woodall feat. Anna Sullivant - All I Need Is You (US 2unes CD)

Julia Nixon - Old Fashioned Love (US Double Dawg Records CD)

Swing Out Sister - Butterfly (JAP Avex CD)

Brent Jones & The T.P. Mobb - Heaven In The Room (US Tyscot Records CD)

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Im not technically advanced enough to post sounds.

Just buy the Tuomo (if you can get it) and if you dont like it I will buy it off you for one of my raffles.

Tip _ Keith Money put me onto it and its f888king amazing :thumbsup:

postted tuomo in ref soul and a few others recently

TIM

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

I have to second Sean on the truely outstanding Ryan Shaw. will somebody in the promoting game PLEASE bring him over!

Social source share

I can't stop playing the new Angela Johnson CD, there's a great mix of deeper and mid-tempo tunes, with stand out tracks for me being Wait on A Maybe with Marlon Saunders, and Cryin' Over You with Angus & Lisala :thumbsup:

Other recent CDs well worth picking up are Blak Ice, Gordon Nelson, and Tina Broussard....

I love " Get away " by Gordon Chambers off the Angela Johnson ,Cliff . good CD . Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest Kitchengroove

Link to Ryan Shaw album with soundclips - I hadn't heard of him before last night, great voice, bit of something for everyone on the album I think!

https://www.amazon.com/This-Ryan-Shaw/dp/B0...4352&sr=8-2

I've had the album for two months, after viewing his U tube Apollo talent contest clip, where he wow's the crowd and then over indulges in vocal theatrics. The other clips of him live give a better account. The albums a mixed bag of good to excellent but a bit more original content, would have made it stronger.

I've played "Do the 45" out to an unknowlegable crowd unaware of the Sharpees original, and the great FULL sound went down well mixed in amongst Arthur Conley, Wilson Pickett and other classic mid 60's tracks.

When playing the album at home, it's one of the few albums I've had to lower the volume as it's so full ON.

Dave.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Mark , are these just playlists onn the various websites, or can we actually listen to soundclips of individual tracks and whole shows?

You can listen to SOME of clips of the C.Ds on Steve's site..... >>> CLICK HERE <<<

Social source share

Sh*t the bed...........that was hoofin'..............any advance pressings, cos I need one quick....gimme gimme gimme Pleeeeeeaaaaassseeeee.

Grovelling Russ

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Sh*t the bed...........that was hoofin'..............any advance pressings, cos I need one quick....gimme gimme gimme Pleeeeeeaaaaassseeeee.

Grovelling Russ

Ah, thanks for the kind words (is shitting the bed kind words?)..No advancers but some promo's will be available in early June when the 45 comes out. Trying to get it to radio show types and folks who play out ALOT.

Russ, you gotta come to Milwaukee some time and spin!

andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!