The Connaught Hotel Wolverhampton

Just to advise a few folks after a few tex's and questions That The Connaught Hotel soul night will not be on This Friday ! Basically Phil Richards and Craig Westwood have decided to Depart Sadley through various Reasons , as for myself for the passion and the love for the music I will continue with The Connaught hotel but also very pleased to say There will be a lot of changes to the place and with a New promoter ! More details soon. At this point i would like to Thank Craig Westwood and Phil Richards for all the hard work and Fun we had and also all the Great guest DJs who we have had in the past Thanks guys , Also how can i not mention and Thank Dawny Dingle and Suzy ( Mom) for the effort they put in on The Door " THANK YOU GIRLS ". Well there you go about of info on The Connaught Hotel .

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
  • Replies 18
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have to admit I enjoyed every minute of "My baby" at The Connaught Hotel but due to several reasons the main one being involved a little too intense in running and promoting this and other venues , I have decided to take a backward step for a while and maybe getting back to basics by going out now and again as i used to just as a soulie who enjoys the music without the pressures and can go home at night without all the hassles being a promoter brings.

I would like to thank Chalky and Sue , Phil Richards and Suzy and my Dawnie and all other guest Dj's and regulars for all their hard work and support and great memories.

Thanks also to Woody for the help in getting it established in the early days and a big thank you to Tim the manager of the hotel and Dave Rimmer for all his wonderful help and advice at The 44 Club which carried over to the The Connaught.

Good luck Chalky in any future promotions at this fantastic venue and I will certainally will attend any events there when announced.

I have to admit I enjoyed every minute of "My baby" at The Connaught Hotel but due to several reasons the main one being involved a little too intense in running and promoting this and other venues , I have decided to take a backward step for a while and maybe getting back to basics by going out now and again as i used to just as a soulie who enjoys the music without the pressures and can go home at night without all the hassles being a promoter brings.

I would like to thank Chalky and Sue , Phil Richards and Suzy and my Dawnie and all other guest Dj's and regulars for all their hard work and support and great memories.

Thanks also to Woody for the help in getting it established in the early days and a big thank you to Tim the manager of the hotel and Dave Rimmer for all his wonderful help and advice at The 44 Club which carried over to the The Connaught.

Good luck Chalky in any future promotions at this fantastic venue and I will certainally will attend any events there when announced.

Hey Craig you know you will be welcome Back to be a guest DJ The new Promoter already said this to me , yes Thanks to Mr Nice guy Woody ! at the start of The Connaught Days.

As I was a guest on Friday, it would have been courteous for someone to have contacted me to let me know it wasn't going ahead, or is this not the done thing.

Des Parker

I have spoken to Phil this morning, and you where told on Saturday night at the stables that the connaught had finished, so maybe you forgot!!

Suzy xx

Just to advise a few folks after a few tex's and questions That The Connaught Hotel soul night will not be on This Friday ! Basically Phil Richards and Craig Westwood have decided to Depart Sadley through various Reasons , as for myself for the passion and the love for the music I will continue with The Connaught hotel but also very pleased to say There will be a lot of changes to the place and with a New promoter ! More details soon. At this point i would like to Thank Craig Westwood and Phil Richards for all the hard work and Fun we had and also all the Great guest DJs who we have had in the past Thanks guys , Also how can i not mention and Thank Dawny Dingle and Suzy ( Mom) for the effort they put in on The Door " THANK YOU GIRLS ". Well there you go about of info on The Connaught Hotel .

hi chalk's, bit sad to hear of the demise of the connaught, always enjoyed it up or downstairs! i know that you have a new lease of life planned for the venue & hope so much that you can build it up to a new level of entertainment fitting for this class venue!! all the best mate!!

max..

hi chalk's, bit sad to hear of the demise of the connaught, always enjoyed it up or downstairs! i know that you have a new lease of life planned for the venue & hope so much that you can build it up to a new level of entertainment fitting for this class venue!! all the best mate!!

max..

THANKS MAX MATE , YES THIS WILL BE REBULIT AND REALLY LOOKING FORWARD OF THIS EVENT ! SO MANY PLANS AND I WON'T DOUBT THIS WILL BE A CRACKING NEW REBUILT VENUE !

WE ARE BACK HERE IN MAY BUT MORE DETAILS WILL FOLLOW .

Des , Phil said to me he was going to Contact you.

Hi Chalky Son, Have you been intouch with everyone else who was booked for the Connaught Hotel.?

Phil is no longer a promoter.

Suzy xx (mom)

Guest Phil Richards

Hi Chalky Mate,

My reasons for leaving are as follows, and lets not beat about the bush.

1, Most people round here are not interested in a quality soul nightS, the reason being if the record has'nt been played a million times before there not interested. i.e. only interested in oldies. (might i just add i love oldies but don't want to listen to them all the time)

2, Fedup of promoting and people saying....yes we will come and support you, and they never turn up.

3, Myself & Suzy did'nt particulary get on very well with one of the promoters, who is a complete Knob.

4, Fedup with so called friends running soul nights against us.

In conclusion, Decided that we DO NOT want to promote anything in the West Midlands because there are far to many wanna be Dj's and promoters who are killing the scene, I have been on this scene for 35 years, and have never known so much politics and bullshit in my life. Honestly it's like being back in the playground the way some of these people act.........

Me & Suzy now travel outside of the West Midlands where we have found some great venues with great people running them. WITH NO HINT OF POLITICS.

Wish you luck with the Connaught mate, see you soon.

Hi Chalky Son, Have you been intouch with everyone else who was booked for the Connaught Hotel.?

Phil is no longer a promoter.

Suzy xx (mom)

Hiya Mom I will get into touch with all the future guests , I think Phil got Rob Wicks so can phil inform him , No guest djs have been agreed yet with the New Promoter , so please please all Guest Djs for the Connaught please cancel your booking until further notice .

Edited by Hitsville Chalky

Hi Chalky Mate,

1, Most people round here are not interested in a quality soul nightS, the reason being if the record has'nt been played a million times before there not interested. i.e. only interested in oldies. (might i just add i love oldies but don't want to listen to them all the time)

2, Fedup of promoting and people saying....yes we will come and support you, and they never turn up.

3, Myself & Suzy did'nt particulary get on very well with one of the promoters, who is a complete Knob.

In conclusion, Decided that we DO NOT want to promote anything in the West Midlands because there are far to many wanna be Dj's and promoters who are killing the scene, I have been on this scene for 35 years, and have never known so much politics and bullshit in my life. Honestly it's like being back in the playground the way some of these people act.........

Me & Suzy now travel outside of the West Midlands where we have found some great venues with great people running them. WITH NO HINT OF POLITICS.

Hiya Phil hope to see ya soon mate :thumbsup:

Hi Chalky Mate,

You know Phil l never thought l`d be so pleased to agree with you, Paul and l have been trying to support as many local venues as we can, and it`s a sad fact that they are all dying a death at a fantastic rate, this aint good news,and lve been saying it for a long time now, thousands of bloody good records out there that aint being played, its frustrating to say the least, l know how you feel , actually we ( paul and l ) know , you would be better off banging your head against a brick wall.

With so much great material out there to work with, whether it`s oldies, crossover,modern, whatever, as long as it`s good soulful music it has as much right to be played as any tired, worn out over played records, and thats speaking about entirely across the board.

l`m fed up with " soulies" griping on about not having any decent venues to go to because of that very reason, but instead of moaning about why dont they do something about, like approach the promoters and view their opionion, promoters have a hard enough task without the added burden of learning how to become mind readers :):lol::lol: ....true eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know me Phil, if l`ve got something to say, l say it, lt dont always go down well with certain people, but l am entitled to my opinion like the rest of us, the soul scene is made up of so many personalities, and we all have our likes and dislikes, it would be bleeding boring if we all liked the same thing, so each to their own, as far as lm concerned.......and l will say it again, its about hearing good soul music, the politics will always be there, so will the arseholes, thats life unfortunately.For what it`s worth Phil l`ve always enjoyed your choice in soul music,and have dance my socks off at venues you have D.J.ed at, because basically l think your bloody good.Now thats praise coming from me eh!!!! l hope you continue to keep playing behind the decks, although l also know this is a very worrying and stressful time for both you and Sue, we want you to know our thoughts are with you both and we hope everything goes ok.

So stick 2 fingers up at soul politics for the time being and concerntrate on the most important thing to you at this moment in time,Suzy.

Love and best wishes Sandixxxxxxxxxxxxx

good luck

I'm sorry too hear that the Connaught has finished, in my experience the promoting game is never an easy one to play, with success and profitability coming on few and far-between occasions, that ,if you're very lucky, might cover the losses from the other nights, but anyone who "throws their hat into the ring" has my support.

I would dearly love to be able to support all my friends and aquaintences in their ventures, sadly it is not , for varied reasons, always possible, so i pick where i want to go and take no heed of all the bollocks people talk, or the politics involved.

Good luck to all in future ventures.

I would like to say to Phil, or Pritchard as i knew him when he was a top w mids d.j. back in the day it's a shame that you have come to the conclusions that you have, but i must say you are not alone, i had arrived at much the same point of view over the past few months.No-one has a right to expect to be given spots, yet some are far more deserving, in my opinion, than others, you have always played stuff that i can relate to, and as we've discussed in the past we do have the knowledge , from our past "triumphs"(ha ha!) that has stood us in good stead.

Good luck to you mate, don't stop playin' there are less ans less dj's out there yearly, and its a sad fact that it shows when you look at stuff played out there, ability and belief allows you to be creative, where as those without it simply play safe(and of course play the same records week in year out)

Good luck to you Phil, and "keep on keepin on".....love to Sue

SEE YOU SOON Harpo

You know Phil l never thought l`d be so pleased to agree with you, Paul and l have been trying to support as many local venues as we can, and it`s a sad fact that they are all dying a death at a fantastic rate, this aint good news,and lve been saying it for a long time now, thousands of bloody good records out there that aint being played, its frustrating to say the least, l know how you feel , actually we ( paul and l ) know , you would be better off banging your head against a brick wall.

With so much great material out there to work with, whether it`s oldies, crossover,modern, whatever, as long as it`s good soulful music it has as much right to be played as any tired, worn out over played records, and thats speaking about entirely across the board.

l`m fed up with " soulies" griping on about not having any decent venues to go to because of that very reason, but instead of moaning about why dont they do something about, like approach the promoters and view their opionion, promoters have a hard enough task without the added burden of learning how to become mind readers :thumbsup:wink.gif:D ....true eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know me Phil, if l`ve got something to say, l say it, lt dont always go down well with certain people, but l am entitled to my opinion like the rest of us, the soul scene is made up of so many personalities, and we all have our likes and dislikes, it would be bleeding boring if we all liked the same thing, so each to their own, as far as lm concerned.......and l will say it again, its about hearing good soul music, the politics will always be there, so will the arseholes, thats life unfortunately.For what it`s worth Phil l`ve always enjoyed your choice in soul music,and have dance my socks off at venues you have D.J.ed at, because basically l think your bloody good.Now thats praise coming from me eh!!!! l hope you continue to keep playing behind the decks, although l also know this is a very worrying and stressful time for both you and Sue, we want you to know our thoughts are with you both and we hope everything goes ok.

So stick 2 fingers up at soul politics for the time being and concerntrate on the most important thing to you at this moment in time,Suzy.

Love and best wishes Sandixxxxxxxxxxxxx

good luck

DON'T WORRY SANDI I WILL GET HIM BACK BEHIND THOSE DECKS , PHIL AS BEEN GOLDEN AND A GOOD HONEST MATE !

DON'T WORRY SANDI I WILL GET HIM BACK BEHIND THOSE DECKS , PHIL AS BEEN GOLDEN AND A GOOD HONEST MATE !

Bless yow little socks Son :thumbsup:

Suzy xx

Guest eggman

Hi Chalky Mate,

who is that chalky or craig ?