Rotations is This Correct

Hi Guys

Was looking round the web for images of the Rotations and went to the Soul Walking Site. Reading there comments on the band, it would imply that original The Rotations (on Frantic) were out of Cleveland, when I'd always thought they were out of Philly.

link to the page

https://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Rotations.html

Anyone one have the full story on the group.

Thanks

Dave

Social source share

Hi Guys

Was looking round the web for images of the Rotations and went to the Soul Walking Site. Reading there comments on the band, it would imply that original The Rotations (on Frantic) were out of Cleveland, when I'd always thought they were out of Philly.

link to the page

Thanks

Dave

Think from memory there were two groups Dave. There's def a Philly one - I thought the other ones were more Chicago way, but I'll settle on Cleveland.

Social source share

Hi Guys

link to the page

Thanks

Dave

That page is talking about the debroussard group being a 'clone' of the lawton group, who are both ohio. Where do you get anything about the frantic group from that article? Maybe I am not reading it correctly?

There is a chicago 'rotations' (that Steve G mentioned), they are Roe-o-tation, they changed the name on the record because they found out about the frantic group.

Social source share

That page is talking about the debroussard group being a 'clone' of the lawton group, who are both ohio. Where do you get anything about the frantic group from that article? Maybe I am not reading it correctly?

There is a chicago 'rotations' (that Steve G mentioned), they are Roe-o-tation, they changed the name on the record because they found out about the frantic group.

Also, the lawton group recorded in philly (which is why Bobby Martin's name is on the record) but the group is still from Ohio. I still think there is a separate Frantic group from philly though.

Social source share

The DeBrossard Rotations were from Cleveland, Ohio. Just as that record was taking off in the local area at least two of the group were put away for a very long time after being mixed up in an armed robbery. I think the Lawton group is a continuation of the earlier group, minus the personnel who had gone off to chokey. The credits on the Lawton 45 do point towards it being produced in Philadelphia.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

The DeBrossard Rotations were from Cleveland, Ohio. Just as that record was taking off in the local area at least two of the group were put away for a very long time after being mixed up in an armed robbery.

Which is what is stated in the Soulwalking artical, but wondered what, if any was the connection between them and the Frantic (Philly group).

Social source share

The DeBrossard Rotations were from Cleveland, Ohio. Just as that record was taking off in the local area at least two of the group were put away for a very long time after being mixed up in an armed robbery. I think the Lawton group is a continuation of the earlier group, minus the personnel who had gone off to chokey. The credits on the Lawton 45 do point towards it being produced in Philadelphia.

Hey Garethx, have you ever heard of another record by the ohio group (specifically the lawton group)? Someone sent me a recording of the side, supposedly on the emandolyn label (which is also weird because emandolyn is a georgia publisher). Supposedly the other side of the record is the same as one of the lawton sides. I think someone here asked a similar question, asking if there was a separate lawton press with a different b-side.

Social source share

Hey Garethx, have you ever heard of another record by the ohio group (specifically the lawton group)? Someone sent me a recording of the side, supposedly on the emandolyn label (which is also weird because emandolyn is a georgia publisher). Supposedly the other side of the record is the same as one of the lawton sides. I think someone here asked a similar question, asking if there was a separate lawton press with a different b-side.

Hi Boba

Yes it is an un-released track recorded at the same session. Infact there were two, which I have licenced from Manny Campbell the producer and holder of the rights. Manny now lives in Atlanta and runs the sucessful Midtown-Coastal record labels. The Emandolyn pressing should have had both tracks on but there was a mess up with the masters and the wrong recording pressed, ie the Lawton track was pressed instead. We are having them pressed as i write at National in Nashville, the tracks will be 'When she slowly slips away/Soul freedom. Relaese will be later this year.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Hi Boba

Yes it is an un-released track recorded at the same session. Infact there were two, which I have licenced from Manny Campbell the producer and holder of the rights. Manny now lives in Atlanta and runs the sucessful Midtown-Coastal record labels. The Emandolyn pressing should have had both tracks on but there was a mess up with the masters and the wrong recording pressed, ie the Lawton track was pressed instead. We are having them pressed as i write at National in Nashville, the tracks will be 'When she slowly slips away/Soul freedom. Relaese will be later this year.

Dave: do you own the Emandolyn 45? I'm just interested in seeing a scan because I've never seen it before. Thanks.

Social source share

Dave: do you own the Emandolyn 45? I'm just interested in seeing a scan because I've never seen it before. Thanks.

Boba there`s a thread done about this on here,i posted up scans of the 45 and info on the tracks,strange that the titles pressed up on that one by M Campbell are different to the titles M Campbell gave to Dave,and yes the Lawton track was misspressed on the flip,but at the time i brought the 45 i was giving a tape of the "When he slowly moves away from you" which was meant to be on it so i got three tracks which was nice.

Dave f...........

Social source share

boba said:
thanks for all the info. So the 'we want freedom' side actually plays one of the lawton sides? Which side? thanks again.

No Boba - "We want freedom" is a fabulous crossover side in it's own right and plays as it says on the title, which has been about in very limited quantity for years (Dave Halsall got them from Manny ooh late 80s I'd guess) - maybe 15 copies tops.

Manny did a lot of work in Philly (Nurons, Rotations etc)....anyway so that we are all clear are we saying

1) original rotations from Ohio - morphed into group that recorded in Pa.

2) third group from Chicago

:lol: Hopefully that's put the pieces together? :thumbsup:

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

No Boba - "We want freedom" is a fabulous crossover side in it's own right and plays as it says on the title, which has been about in very limited quantity for years (Dave Halsall got them from Manny ooh late 80s I'd guess) - maybe 15 copies tops.

Manny did a lot of work in Philly (Nurons, Rotations etc)....anyway so that we are all clear are we saying

1) original rotations from Ohio - morphed into group that recorded in Pa. (Frantic, Emandolyn etc.)

2) third group from Chicago

:ohmy: Hopefully that's put the pieces together? :thumbsup:

Steve

So what lawton record track the other side play?

There are actually *two* ohio rotations, with one common member between them (the original story). And although they recorded in philly, it's still not clear whether the frantic group has a connection or not or is a different group.

There's also the mala group (don't know if they have any connections to anyone) and there's also the CMC group, which is maybe st. louis? I've never heard or seen the CMC record (I saw it on a list once but missed it), can someone post that?

When I asked the chicago group why they changed their name on the record, they just said because they had heard of a rotations from philly, they didn't specify what group or label, etc.

I guess I won't ever be getting one of those emandolynn titles with just 15 copies, at least the one Dave is pressing has both sides.

Social source share

• 11 years later...

Time to revisit this old thread with what we now know. Which is more than we used to....

Rotations 1) on Frantic from NJ per Cooler than Ice Arctic box set. Discogs suggests these were also The Inspirations on Wand.

Rotations 2) Mala Records group - any ideas who these dudes may have been? Miles Grayson production so implies a West coast connection.

Rotations 3) Chicago, short lived and changed their name

Rotations 4) From Cleveland, recorded on deBroussard, then  recorded for Manny Campbell's set up with a record released on Law-Ton. Not sure when the Emandolyn record came out first ("We want freedom"), but copies surfaced in the late 80s / early 90s. Also there is a theory that this group started life as The Ambassadors on Uptown. Not sure about that either?

Can anyone add to the above?

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

5 hours ago, Steve G said:

Time to revisit this old thread with what we now know. Which is more than we used to....

Rotations 1) on Frantic from NJ per Cooler than Ice Arctic box set. Discogs suggests these were also The Inspirations on Wand.

Rotations 2) Mala Records group - any ideas who these dudes may have been? Miles Grayson production so implies a West coast connection.

Rotations 3) Chicago, short lived and changed their name

Rotations 4) From Cleveland, recorded on deBroussard, then  recorded for Manny Campbell's set up with a record released on Law-Ton. Not sure when the Emandolyn record came out first ("We want freedom"), but copies surfaced in the late 80s / early 90s. Also there is a theory that this group started life as The Ambassadors on Uptown. Not sure about that either?

Can anyone add to the above?

Steve

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-rotations-mn0001368755

https://jamguy.com/Rotations/main.php

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

I had always thought the Inspirations on Wand were one of Chavis's groups so was a bit surprised when I read that on the Arctic box set.

4 hours ago, Louise said:

The Rotations on Debroussard Lawton and Roxanne are the same outfits.

Dave

Yes Dave, do you have a complete line up of the group?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!