Be Thankful For What You Got

Am amazed that this tune is 38 years old, still sounding fantastic, how many versions of this are there, have got "Omar feat.Angie Stone" which brings it into the 21st century, who else has sung a version of this great song?

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Adrian

Am amazed that this tune is 38 years old, still sounding fantastic, how many versions of this are there, have got "Omar feat.Angie Stone" which brings it into the 21st century, who else has sung a version of this great song?

Theres the Massive Attack version, and theres a 70's version buy some white boy rock types, think the band were called 'Love'.

Social source share

Guest Adrian

Theres the Massive Attack version, and theres a 70's version buy some white boy rock types, think the band were called 'Love'.

and William DeVaughn's updated 'club' version...

and One Blood which is reggae

Edited by Adrian
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Funnily enough I was thinking about this song just the other day, and almost dragged out the album for a listen! (nice longer version)

The Bunny Sigler/Gabor Szabo tune "Keep Smilin" also references "Be Thankful.." ("Diamond in the back, sun-roof top"... etc)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Gabor Szabo tune "Keep Smilin"

Off topic sorry, but what a fecking great record that is Mel !

Good call sir !

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

always loved this tune.

last time i heard was a few weeks back on a saturday afternoon in the city centre of sheffield. there was mini fun-fair in town that day and it was being played over the speakers on one of the rides. sounded amazing as i stood there waiting for it to finish :lol:

shane

Social source share

Guest Darks

I was once told that the Diamond in the back was a reference to a particular type of earth-shaking loud speaker. Is this correct?

May be a Wharfdale Diamond 7 :lol: .

Did'nt Oliver Cheatham do it? Got a 12" somewhere.

Always thought the Love version was pretty fine. Only heard it when trollied in a club though. All the others not so clever imho except the Massive Attack thingy but it's been awhile since I've heard it.

Regards Alan

Social source share

always loved this tune.

last time i heard was a few weeks back on a saturday afternoon in the city centre of sheffield. there was mini fun-fair in town that day and it was being played over the speakers on one of the rides. sounded amazing as i stood there waiting for it to finish :lol:

shane

The original WDV version on Roxbury still sounds fresh as paint, and strangely far less dated than Massive Attack's virtually note for note cover.

Social source share

Though you may not drive a great big Cadillac

Gangsta whitewalls

TV antennas in the back

You may not have a car at all

But remember brothers and sisters

You can still stand tall

Just be thankful for what you've got

Though you may not drive a great big Cadillac

Diamond in the back, sunroof top

Diggin' the scene

With a gangsta lean

Gangsta whitewalls

TV antennas in the back

Awsum Choon.... Great WDV LP too!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

My Wille D copy is a stickered demo and it fell off last frekin week.

I like the WD 45 disco edit on TEC...........quite spooky as I was only listening to this last week & thinking how amazing it still is, I prefer the disco edit personally, just adds a little oomph...........& It sounds so contemporary, could have been released last week.

Fine choon.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Adam G

I like the WD 45 disco edit on TEC...........quite spooky as I was only listening to this last week & thinking how amazing it still is, I prefer the disco edit personally, just adds a little oomph...........& It sounds so contemporary, could have been released last week.

Fine choon.

Russ

Agreed Russ and you also get a great version of "Never found me a girl" on the flip which is great both from the Figures cant calculate Tec lp with the lovely "Hold on to love" as well.

Adam

Social source share

Yes err :lol: Arthur Whatsisname :yes: and Love - actually a good version.

Didn't WDV also do more than one version of the song? :yes:

Social source share

Guest Adrian

Yes err :lol: Arthur Whatsisname :yes: and Love - actually a good version.

Didn't WDV also do more than one version of the song? :yes:

Yep WDV done an updated 'club' version, bigger drums basically I think.

Social source share

38 years old, I think not , 34 is closer I don't need to feel any older than I already do LOL

BTW theres a cd that features both the original and the 'new' album and its got a nice unreleased

track on it....

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There were two black guys in Love, including the lead singer, Arthur Lee.

So much for your 'white boy rock' theory - and it's actually one of the best versions...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Donovan Carless - Be Thankful in the ja section

On a level par with WDV IMO - the instrumental reggae cut "A Big Car" by Jackie Mittoo (Studio 1) is also really cool...

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

On a level par with WDV IMO - the instrumental reggae cut "A Big Car" by Jackie Mittoo (Studio 1) is also really cool...

NICE CALL :)

Social source share

38 years old, I think not , 34 is closer I don't need to feel any older than I already do LOL

BTW theres a cd that features both the original and the 'new' album and its got a nice unreleased

track on it....

:wub: yes you are correct, wondered who would spot my mistake, cant seem to add up these days :thumbup: glad so many you like this tune though :lol:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Off topic sorry, but what a fecking great record that is Mel !

Good call sir !

Thanks Gavin! - Yes, stunning ain't it? When he gets into the long jazz-guitar break, it just takes me "higher" as they say. Fabulous record.

Incidently, in my view, Timmy Thomas' "Why Can't We Live Together" hasn't dated either, sounding as fresh today as back in 1972 - again the album version beats all. (Then again I'm something of a fan of T.T.!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Adrian

[quote name='TONY ROUNCE' date='Apr 4 08, 07:38 PM' post='738980'

So much for your 'white boy rock' theory - and it's actually one of the best versions...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Incidently, in my view, Timmy Thomas' "Why Can't We Live Together" hasn't dated either, sounding as fresh today as back in 1972 - again the album version beats all. (Then again I'm something of a fan of T.T.!)

I couldn't agree more about WCWLT...

Some time ago, for 'Blues And Soul' I started an article about records that never date, and that it's impossible to put a date on just by hearing them. "Be Thankful" and "Why Can't..." were both on the list. Others included James Brown's "Cold Sweat" and "Sex Machine", Tyrone Davis' "Turn Back The Hands Of Time", the O'Jays' "Backstabbers" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Family Affair" and "Thank You Falettin Me Be Mice Elf Agin" , none of which will ever pass their sell by date as pieces of music because none of them particularly pandered to any then-current musical trend or sound.

Might make an interesting separate thread at some point...

Social source share

I couldn't agree more about WCWLT...

Some time ago, for 'Blues And Soul' I started an article about records that never date, and that it's impossible to put a date on just by hearing them. "Be Thankful" and "Why Can't..." were both on the list. Others included James Brown's "Cold Sweat" and "Sex Machine", Tyrone Davis' "Turn Back The Hands Of Time", the O'Jays' "Backstabbers" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Family Affair" and "Thank You Falettin Me Be Mice Elf Agin" , none of which will ever pass their sell by date as pieces of music because none of them particularly pandered to any then-current musical trend or sound.

Might make an interesting separate thread at some point...

Agree wholeheartedly with every one of those choices Tone, and I've always put in the same timeless category Otis Leavill's "Love Uprising" which for a '69/70 recording is still well ahead of the game .... I play that today and still people come up and think it's a new contemporary RnB release with its fat bass and sparse rhythm sound !

Social source share

Lenny Williams sang a cover of it the other year at the Blackpool Hilton Weekender. Dont know if it ever came out but it sounded pretty good to me. WDV is his nephew by the way.

Trev

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've got a 45 which is a fairly recent re-issue on UPSETTER credited to Bunny Rugs, and a Lee Perry production. Is this the same, or another reggae version?

That's another version - and not as good...

While we're talking reggae versions, though, when I was giving a shout up for Jackie Mittoo's "A Big Car" I should also have heaped praise on Sugar Minott's vocal piece to that cut, "Love And Understanding".

I spent much of the Summer of 1974 in Kingston, Ja. and I will always associate WDV with that stay - you couldn't get away from the record (not that you'd want to, of course), it was played everywhere and by everyone. Unbelivably, it was kept off the top of the local charts by Eric Clapton's version of "I Shot The Sheriff"!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!