Real Soul Singin' From Stan Mosley

Guest basicallyblues

Guest basicallyblues

Stan%20Mosley%20Man%20up%20200x200.jpg

STAN MOSLEY "Man Up"

LISTEN

1. I Came To Party 2. Man Up 3. Mr DJ 4. Backbone 5. Startin' 2 Stop 6. You And Me 7. Crazy 4 U 8. Bitter With The Sweet 9. Barstool Woman 10. Somethin' U Got 11. Backbone (Extended) 12. I Came To Party (Live)

REVIEWS:

smosley3.jpgI knew I was going to like Man Up (CDS Records) for two reasons; one, because I've always been a Stan Mosley fan, and two, because he's with a company that understands what it takes to make a quality release. Most of the tracks now feature real musicians and it is my understanding that future releases from this company will aim for the real stuff all the time.

Exactly a year ago (

March 2007) I reviewed Stan's Steppin" Out CD and said his music was sophisticated Southern soul. I'll stick by that earlier description, but must add that his sound has also evolved to the "that's a hit" party blues sound. With the opening "I Came To Party," you knew this release was heading in a slightly different direction. You can hear the happiness and vigor in the way this release presents itself. The great arrangements and superior songwriting are quite apparent from start to finish.

The slowie "Mr. DJ" is a killer track all the way. A memorable tune you'll come back to again and again. There's the catchy "Backbone," with it's references to Clarence Carter's "Strokin'" and Theodis'

mega hit "Stand Up In It." On "Backbone" he tells us he ain't no Theodis, no candy licker Marvin Sease, but says he just gonna do what he does best, "put my backbone in it." "I'm Startin' 2 Stop (Thinking About You)" is a midtempo track with that unforgettable title hook. "You And Me" harkens back to the sophisticated southern soul tag. One listen and you'll know exactly what I mean.

In summation, this is a superior release loaded with potential hits, featuring Stan's gritty, soulful, voice in the forefront and reminding us once again what a great singer he really is. Continuing as an heir to the Johnnie Taylor throne, this release take him one step closer. I'll anxiously await his next release, but until that time, this is the perfect CD for those upcoming hot summer days. Thanks to Dylann DeAnna, Floyd Hamberlin Jr. and the folks at CDS Records for knowing how to do it right.

--- Alan Shutro for "Blues Bytes"

Stan Mosley "Man Up" (****). They do make them like they used to when we're talking "true Soul voices". Stan Mosley, he sing not Pretty, but Gritty. Actually he can sing quite lovely too like on the knockout slow numbers "Mr. DJ" (a real summer slow jam for sure) and "Bitter With The Sweet". Hitmaker Floyd Hamberlin Jr. produced and wrote the 10 songs (plus two alternate versions) and his string of hits should continue (think Tyrone Davis' "Sugar Daddy" & "Bangin' The Headboard", Denise LaSalle's "Mississippi Woman" for example).

The appropriately titled "Man Up" is one hundred percent "Southern Soul" or "Party Blues". A large percentage of potential hits here. Along with the already mentioned "Mr. DJ" I found my head bobbing to the midtempo "Backbone" which may just be the closing chapter of that long running Clarence Carter Strokin'/Theodis Ealey "Stand Up In It" string thread. Mosley breaks it down simple. He ain't no Theodis. No Marvin Sease. No Love Doctor but says "I'm gonna just do my same own move...I'm just gonna do what I do...put my backbone in it!". Stan is manning up indeed. For the club I can hear the exciting "I Came To Party", thumping "Man Up" and "Barstool Woman" but to me the tops goes to "Startin' 2 Stop". Just a terrific shuffle bumper with a sugary guitar lead line and some great harmony vocals. Oh and Stan's singing is fine too!

-Steven Alvarez for "Blues Critic"

Available everywhere including

Blues Critic & CD Baby

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest stevessoulsounds

Great album.

Check out my site if this is your bag - lots of real soul CD's for sale including Pookie Lane/Bobby Warren/Maurice/Lola/Jeff Floyd etc etc

www.stevessoulsounds.co.uk

Regards

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!