We Got Soul Baby

WE GOT SOUL BABY! 2 ROOMS OF QUALITY SOUL MUSIC. Room1: CLASSIC & RARE NORTHERN SOUL :thumbsup: j's NIK MAK,BUTCH,JONNA & special guest RUSS VICKERS (100 Club)

ROOM 2: 80'S & 90'S modern SOUL WITH A TOUCH OF funk,disco & raregroove!

with dj's DAT MAN ARTWELL, SHAY & INTRODUCING ADELE. BANK HOLIDAY SUNDAY MAY 4TH :9PM TO 2AM @ RUBYZ bar & nightclub 101 Westhill Road Bournemouth. £4 otd. info 07789773693.

Hope Nik doesnt mind me bringing attention to this, I just had to mention it early, as the last one was out of this world, the venue is absolutely brilliant, in an old converted church, the Northern & Rare Soul Sermon happens upstairs in a great atmospheric dance hall were the main church would have been, loads of great tuneage & a fantastic well 'up for' it crowd, who danced relentlessly to everything & begged for more. Downstairs in the ,catacoombs, the Modern action happens, again its as perfect as you could get, eclectic funky decor, & one of the best sound systems in Bournemouth, at the last event the atmosphere down there was dynamite, rammed to the rafters with dancers, moovers n groovers & loads of soulful sexy funky people enjoying them selves to some of the best soul music you'll ever hear. Clear your diaries soul people cos this is definitly not to be missed.

Hope to see ya there

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Replies 36
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

WE GOT SOUL BABY! 2 ROOMS OF QUALITY SOUL MUSIC. Room1: CLASSIC & RARE NORTHERN SOUL biggrin.gif j's NIK MAK,BUTCH,JONNA & special guest RUSS VICKERS (100 Club)

with dj's DAT MAN ARTWELL, SHAY & INTRODUCING ADELE. BANK HOLIDAY SUNDAY MAY 4TH :9PM TO 2AM @ RUBYZ bar & nightclub 101 Westhill Road Bournemouth. £4 otd. info 07789773693.

Hope Nik doesnt mind me bringing attention to this, I just had to mention it early, as the last one was out of this world, the venue is absolutely brilliant, in an old converted church, the Northern & Rare Soul Sermon happens upstairs in a great atmospheric dance hall were the main church would have been, loads of great tuneage & a fantastic well 'up for' it crowd, who danced relentlessly to everything & begged for more. Downstairs in the ,catacoombs, the Modern action happens, again its as perfect as you could get, eclectic funky decor, & one of the best sound systems in Bournemouth, at the last event the atmosphere down there was dynamite, rammed to the rafters with dancers, moovers n groovers & loads of soulful sexy funky people enjoying them selves to some of the best soul music you'll ever hear. Clear your diaries soul people cos this is definitly not to be missed.

Hope to see ya there

Russ

South Coast Soulies will be there en masse..........& dont forget, its gonna get 'Bigger & Better' with your support :thumbsup: ............Just a reminder for your diaries, dont want ya forgettin' do we now..........c'mon you know you want it !!!!!.

Russ

Guest SteveC

Its on the planner m8. Can see the Fareham massive moochieing on down to this one. Seems to be nothing but Southern do's on my planner for that weekend so at last I'll not be spending a fortune on petrol!!!

Its on the planner m8. Can see the Fareham massive moochieing on down to this one. Seems to be nothing but Southern do's on my planner for that weekend so at last I'll not be spending a fortune on petrol!!!

Working for most of the weekend mate, but Nik has let me loose on the Technics Sunday here in the main room, so stand by for a broadside of soulful stormers, old, new, borrowed & blue............if its anything like the last one they'll be hungry for the whole spectrum of NS a' la South Coast Style............C'MONNNNNNNNNNNN..................!!!!!!

Are you gonna take your 'disco balls' Steve..............as the Modern Room was hooooooooofin' last time & I know how much you now enjoy strutting your stuff to a bit of Soulful Dance ohmy.gif:ohmy::lol:biggrin.gif .

Looking forward to this emmensely. The last one was that good even Dave A danced for more than one choon :P

Hopefully a full house from all the Bournemouth boys n girls & the travellers are Southbound too, if the grapevine is anything to go by, it was rammed last time, so goodness knows, how busy this will be....................get there early doors methinks.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Guest Nik Mak

Working for most of the weekend mate, but Nik has let me loose on the Technics Sunday here in the main room, so stand by for a broadside of soulful stormers, old, new, borrowed & blue............if its anything like the last one they'll be hungry for the whole spectrum of NS a' la South Coast Style............C'MONNNNNNNNNNNN..................!!!!!!

Are you gonna take your 'disco balls' Steve..............as the Modern Room was hooooooooofin' last time & I know how much you now enjoy strutting your stuff to a bit of Soulful Dance :rolleyes::wave::lol::lol: .

Looking forward to this emmensely. The last one was that good even Dave A danced for more than one choon :thumbsup:

Hopefully a full house from all the Bournemouth boys n girls & the travellers are Southbound too, if the grapevine is anything to go by, it was rammed last time, so goodness knows, how busy this will be....................get there early doors methinks.

Russ

Thanks guys for your great comments! I hope people reading them will understand that this isn't just hype the night really was that good!!!! To anyone out there who wants to just DANCE all night to great tunes with a great crowd pleaass make this your number one go to night! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED!

ATB.

:thumbup:

Guest Simon

Thanks guys for your great comments! I hope people reading them will understand that this isn't just hype the night really was that good!!!! To anyone out there who wants to just DANCE all night to great tunes with a great crowd pleaass make this your number one go to night! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPOINTED!

ATB.

:thumbsup:

Any chance of any playlists or a few tracks the djs are likely to play?

Simon

Any chance of any playlists or a few tracks the djs are likely to play?

Simon

Right guys n gals after several PM's & requests for a play list from me for this night..........All Im really gonna say is, if you heard my recent set at the 100 Club, thats pretty much what ya gonna get, my personal tastes are for the lesser known or underplayed, however it will pretty much depend on the night & the crowd, Dave Thorley set the standard at the first event with an eclectic mixture of the old & new, with mainly 6ts & a few 7ts.........my intention will be to provide more of the same........

Things I'd like to play include:

The Sheepherders

William Cummings

Ebony Jam

Roy Roberts on Sugar

Plus other stuff that needs more exposure IMO

a few classy oldies & a touch of dance floor friendly Modern.........should keep the place moovin'

But who knows what might happen, one thing is for sure tho'...........its gonna be a brilliant night & the music in both rooms from all the DJ's will be aimed well & truly at the dancefloor..............

Not long now & really looking forward to this..........

Russ

Right guys n gals after several PM's & requests for a play list from me for this night..........All Im really gonna say is, if you heard my recent set at the 100 Club, thats pretty much what ya gonna get, my personal tastes are for the lesser known or underplayed, however it will pretty much depend on the night & the crowd, Dave Thorley set the standard at the first event with an eclectic mixture of the old & new, with mainly 6ts & a few 7ts.........my intention will be to provide more of the same........

Things I'd like to play include:

The Sheepherders

William Cummings

Ebony Jam

Roy Roberts on Sugar

Plus other stuff that needs more exposure IMO

a few classy oldies & a touch of dance floor friendly Modern.........should keep the place moovin'

But who knows what might happen, one thing is for sure tho'...........its gonna be a brilliant night & the music in both rooms from all the DJ's will be aimed well & truly at the dancefloor..............

Not long now & really looking forward to this..........

Russ

:thumbsup:

:yes:

Sounds like its gonna be another top nite with my mate Jonah on the decks at his old stomping ground, Butch playing some top uptempo stompers, Nick working the crowd and Russ playing a variety of quality 60s and 70s soul and don't forget the modern room down stairs with Shay , Adele , and dat man Artwell. p.s Russ will you be playing your floor friendly Modern downstairs?

Sounds like its gonna be another top nite with my mate Jonah on the decks at his old stomping ground, Butch playing some top uptempo stompers, Nick working the crowd and Russ playing a variety of quality 60s and 70s soul and don't forget the modern room down stairs with Shay , Adele , and dat man Artwell. p.s Russ will you be playing your floor friendly Modern downstairs?

I was hoping that I might get a little spot down stairs Tim, but I always try to throw a couple of Modern things into the Northern Sets too if appropriate & the dancers are 'up for it', but dont worry mate, Im not gonna do a 'Modern' set in the Northern Room.......It'll be soulful, driving dancers all the way.........C'monnnnnnnnn !!!!!.

I think the soulful South Coast masses will be out in force for this, but lets spread the word far & wide & any of you lot fancy a weekend of soul at the seaside then check this out.......who else is comin' BTW................?????.

Russ

WE GOT SOUL BABY! 2 ROOMS OF QUALITY SOUL MUSIC. Room1: CLASSIC & RARE NORTHERN SOUL :shades: j's NIK MAK,BUTCH,JONNA & special guest RUSS VICKERS (100 Club)

Hope to see ya there

Russ

:thumbup:

Guest SteveC

Think there will be a contingent from Nottingham attending too!!!!

After the raves the North Fareham gave the last one I'm expecting the bollox - Tiom and I can discuss what we're going to play at The Volks on the 14 June over a couple of Holy waters!!! lol

Guest Nik Mak

Think there will be a contingent from Nottingham attending too!!!!

After the raves the North Fareham gave the last one I'm expecting the bollox - Tiom and I can discuss what we're going to play at The Volks on the 14 June over a couple of Holy waters!!! lol

Hi Peeps Nik Mak here: On the night I will be providing all the Jocks with forms so they can jot down their playlist then I will be posting it the next day so everyone can have a butchers! I'm also putting out contact forms on the tables because I want to try and build a data base so I can mail people direct with all the news & gossip so if you come along just stick your e-mail address down for me. I'm presently building a new website so if anyone has pictures of the last night we did and any after this one please feel free to e-mail me them and I'll get cracking on a gallery. I'll be posting a little reminder later in the week also a playlist of tunes I will be spinning! If anyone wants anymore info mail here. (djdodge@hotmail.com)

Laters

We'll bubble wrap you up Lindsay laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif ..............so when your bouncing around you'll come to no harm......& yes, ya gonna be bouncing of the walls & maybe even the altar :wicked::shades::P:D ........ya wwont be able to help it when you hear those groovy grooves.

See ya there Lindsay, hope you are better soon.

Love Russ

I'm hoping, fingers crossed, that my lung will be healed enough to allow me off of house arrest for this one :D Just a thought tho..could you go easy on the talc around me pleeeeze huh.gif
Guest SteveC

I'm hoping, fingers crossed, that my lung will be healed enough to allow me off of house arrest for this one biggrin.gif Just a thought tho..could you go easy on the talc around me pleeeeze huh.gif

Here here - BAN THE TALC!!!!!!!

Guest Nik Mak

We'll bubble wrap you up Lindsay laugh.giflaugh.gif:( ..............so when your bouncing around you'll come to no harm......& yes, ya gonna be bouncing of the walls & maybe even the altar laugh.giflaugh.gif:lol::lol: ........ya wwont be able to help it when you hear those groovy grooves.

See ya there Lindsay, hope you are better soon.

Love Russ

This is getting surreal!!! Can you imagine it just this little head with a couple of arms poking out wobbling round the floor popping bubble rap to the dulcet tones of Jackie Wilson or such like! LOL! Mind Boggling! But seriously Lynds' don't get carried away on the night my mouth to mouth is a little bit rusty!!!! wink.gif

Here for the rest of you are the tunes I will mostly be playing.....maybe! :D

Judy Freeman & Blackrock 'Hold On' RCA

The Constellations 'I didn't know how to' Gemini Star

Billy Butler 'Come over to my side' Brunswick DJ

Contacts 'You gonna pay' Quadran

The Van Dykes 'Save my Love for a rainy day' Mala

Denise La Salle 'Love Reputation' Tarpon

Saxie Russell 'Psychedelic Soul' Thomas (Pink!)

Kim Weston 'I'm still loving you' Tamla DJ

The Hearts of Stone 'If I could give you the world' VIP DJ

Margie Joseph 'Just one more chance' Volt DJ

The Natural Four 'I thought you were mine' Boola Boola (The MORE soulful mix!)

Willie Kendrick 'Change your ways' RCA DJ

Johnny Howard 'The chase is on' Bashie

Mandrill 'Too late' Arista

The Chandlers 'Your Love makes me lonely' Col Soul.

There you go NOT A DUFF ONE AMONGST UM!!!!! Can't wait!!! :D See you on the 4th!!!!

This is getting surreal!!! Can you imagine it just this little head with a couple of arms poking out wobbling round the floor popping bubble rap to the dulcet tones of Jackie Wilson or such like! LOL! Mind Boggling! But seriously Lynds' don't get carried away on the night my mouth to mouth is a little bit rusty!!!! :(

Here for the rest of you are the tunes I will mostly be playing.....maybe! biggrin.gif

There you go NOT A DUFF ONE AMONGST UM!!!!! Can't wait!!! :lol: See you on the 4th!!!!

I had an absolute brilliant night at the last one - what a venue, what a crowd, what a night thumbup.gif

I had the privilage of DJ'ing at the last one and i think i mislaid a few records. if anyone can help me in establishing there whereabouts please pm me.

see list above for mislaid records tongue.gif

they are only on loan Nik whistling.gif

Guest Nik Mak

I had an absolute brilliant night at the last one - what a venue, what a crowd, what a night thumbup.gif

I had the privilage of DJ'ing at the last one and i think i mislaid a few records. if anyone can help me in establishing there whereabouts please pm me.

see list above for mislaid records :(

they are only on loan Nik whistling.gif

LOL!!! I thought you only played CD's Mike?

Edited by Nik Mak

Dear god I thought I was going to a soul do not a fetish club....in a church building as well lol.....bubble wrapped.....popped and then blown up again...the mind boggles :thumbup::thumbup:

Afterthought....particularly dislike johnsons baby powder...for some reason this really clings to the lungs rolleyes.gif

Guest Nik Mak

Dear god I thought I was going to a soul do not a fetish club....in a church building as well lol.....bubble wrapped.....popped and then blown up again...the mind boggles :thumbup::thumbup:

Afterthought....particularly dislike johnsons baby powder...for some reason this really clings to the lungs rolleyes.gif

Will search everyone before they go in & have the oxygen ready and waiting!! wink.gif

Dear god I thought I was going to a soul do not a fetish club....in a church building as well lol.....bubble wrapped.....popped and then blown up again...the mind boggles :unsure::lol:

Afterthought....particularly dislike johnsons baby powder...for some reason this really clings to the lungs :lol:

are you actually trying out all the different brands to see which one does agree with you Lindsay wacko.gif that is even more mind boggling!!

p.s. did you now that our Danny turned up to the last one :( he also turned up at one of Johna's nights - I think he is on his way to being converted :wicked:

It's probably a result of listening to my CD's :lol:

Edited by mikecook

This is getting surreal!!! Can you imagine it just this little head with a couple of arms poking out wobbling round the floor popping bubble rap to the dulcet tones of Jackie Wilson or such like! LOL! Mind Boggling! But seriously Lynds' don't get carried away on the night my mouth to mouth is a little bit rusty!!!! :lol:

Here for the rest of you are the tunes I will mostly be playing.....maybe! :lol:

There you go NOT A DUFF ONE AMONGST UM!!!!! Can't wait!!! :( See you on the 4th!!!!

Contacts is a great tune............I have a cut of the unissued version of the Judy Freeman, which Greg played at the Dome to critical aclaim, taken from the unissued RCA LP..............I'll give you a blast mate.........alway's does the biz & adds that little extra to the brilliant original..........also forgot to mention in my earlier 'wish list' of plays 'Teardrops' - Soul Inc............another East Coast pounder on the Salem inprint.........whooooooooooooooooosssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh, as Carl & Gary used to say..........."SHOOTIN' THRU''.

Do you have the DJ times sorted yet Nik ????????????????????.

Also, I beleive Shay will be not long back from Stateside, so I'll expect he'll have some goodies, both to spin & in his infamous sales box, I'll need to bushwack him early doors before the bargains disappear.............noticed some interesting wheeling & dealing occuring out with the smokers at the last one too & of course Malayka sorted me out with my luuuuuurverly David Peoples.........

Getting all revved up now & still over a week to go...................cant wait.

Russ

are you actually trying out all the different brands to see which one does agree with you Lindsay wacko.gif that is even more mind boggling!!

p.s. did you now that our Danny turned up to the last one :wicked: he also turned up at one of Johna's nights - I think he is on his way to being converted :unsure:

It's probably a result of listening to my CD's :lol:

Its the blooming smell of the stuff :lol:

Is Danny coming to this one?...Karen took a photo of us sat together at Jonahs do and I kept getting messages asking who the gorgeous fella was....I had to go check the photos :(:lol: Don't tell him I said that though biggrin.gif

Are you making an appearance at this one? I'm really looking forward to an eveing out with all the nutters :lol:

Contacts is a great tune............I have a cut of the unissued version of the Judy Freeman, which Greg played at the Dome to critical aclaim, taken from the unissued RCA LP..............I'll give you a blast mate.........alway's does the biz & adds that little extra to the brilliant original..........also forgot to mention in my earlier 'wish list' of plays 'Teardrops' - Soul Inc............another East Coast pounder on the Salem inprint.........whooooooooooooooooosssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh, as Carl & Gary used to say..........."SHOOTIN' THRU''.

Also, I beleive Shay will be not long back from Stateside, so I'll expect he'll have some goodies, both to spin & in his infamous sales box, I'll need to bushwack him early doors before the bargains disappear.............noticed some interesting wheeling & dealing occuring out with the smokers at the last one too & of course Malayka sorted me out with my luuuuuurverly David Peoples.........

Getting all revved up now & still over a week to go...................cant wait.

Russ

Your right played both Contacts and Judy Freeman out a few times in Bournemouth, with mixed responses probably down to the crossover feel of both tracks. Still two of my faves late 60s early 70s tracks, I'LL be having a dance to both.

Guest Nik Mak

Your right played both Contacts and Judy Freeman out a few times in Bournemouth, with mixed responses probably down to the crossover feel of both tracks. Still two of my faves late 60s early 70s tracks, I'LL be having a dance to both.

Contacts: Crossover? unsure.gif What version have you got? Now I know why you think some of the Rock n Roll you spin sounds like Northern!!!Ha!HAHA! :lol: I'll hold you to the 'dancin' (Is that what you call it?) bit mate. You didn't at the last one!!!Must admit you looked a bit tired standing at the back (All alone freindless & dejected!) :lol: When did you play the Judy Freeman then? Haven't heard it around here for eons not since the last time I played it. Looks like I'll have to dig a bit deeper in the crates! sad.gifLOL! :lol::lol:

Contacts: Crossover? :lol: What version have you got? Now I know why you think some of the Rock n Roll you spin sounds like Northern!!!Ha!HAHA! :lol: I'll hold you to the 'dancin' (Is that what you call it?) bit mate. You didn't at the last one!!!Must admit you looked a bit tired standing at the back (All alone freindless & dejected!) :lol: When did you play the Judy Freeman then? Haven't heard it around here for eons not since the last time I played it. Looks like I'll have to dig a bit deeper in the crates! sad.gifLOL! :lol:wink.gif

I did dance at the last one, and i got a bloody nail in my foot :lol:

As for the Contacts, i can distinctly remember playing it to you and you writing down the details, and i believe its 1971 on the label, yes not really crossover, but not 60s either, and as for rock n roll you bastard.

Stop copying my playlists. rolleyes.gif:lol:

Edited by tim smithers
Guest Nik Mak

Russ

Hey Russ here are the times :lol:BUTCH 9Pm to 10.30./ Joena 10.30 to 11.30/ Russ Vickers 11.30 to 12.45/ Nik Mak 12.45 to 2am.

Butch gets a longer set at the beginning because there's nothing worse than playing your fav tunes to a room that's just filing up.Hopefully peeps will get there early so we can get Butch off quick!! rolleyes.gifLOL!

Guest Nik Mak

I did dance at the last one, and i got a bloody nail in my foot :lol:

As for the Contacts, i can distinctly remember playing it to you and you writing down the details, and i believe its 1971 on the label, yes not really crossover, but not 60s either, and as for rock n roll you bastard.

Stop copying my playlists. rolleyes.gif:lol:

Your in a church Nails seem to be par for the course!(Remember he suffered for our sins a bit of payback won't go amiss!) Yes you played it to me but I didn't have the heart to tell you I already had a copy, you seemed so excited, the dribbling was expecially endearing! biggrin.gif I'm glad you've cleared up what is a crossover tune and what isn't. Everything from 1970 onwards is crossover? So can you tell me when it becomes modern? (The exact Date would be good just for future reference). :lol: As far as copying your playlists I hold my hands up. I think it all started the last time you played at the Railway the way the tumble weed swept magestically across the dancefloor left me in awe of your Abilities as a DJ. I JUST HAD TO HAVE SOME OF THAT ACTION!!!! :lol:

Your in a church Nails seem to be par for the course!(Remember he suffered for our sins a bit of payback won't go amiss!) Yes you played it to me but I DIDN'T HAVE THE HEART TO TELL YOU I ALREADY HAD A COPY! :lol: you seemed so excited, the dribbling was expecially endearing! biggrin.gif I'm glad you've cleared up what is a crossover tune and what isn't. Everything from 1970 onwards is crossover? So can you tell me when it becomes modern? (The exact Date would be good just for future reference). :lol: As far as copying your playlists I hold my hands up. I think it all started the last time you played at the Railway the way the tumble weed swept :lol: magestically across the dancefloor left me in awe of your Abilities as a DJ. I JUST HAD TO HAVE SOME OF THAT ACTION!!!! :lol: MIAOW MIAOW

Its the blooming smell of the stuff :lol:

Is Danny coming to this one?...Karen took a photo of us sat together at Jonahs do and I kept getting messages asking who the gorgeous fella was....I had to go check the photos :lol::lol: Don't tell him I said that though :D

Are you making an appearance at this one? I'm really looking forward to an eveing out with all the nutters :lol:

I think you will find that people were referring to the photo that was taken with me sat next to you Lindsay :lol:

I wont be making it up for this one unfortunatly as finances wont allow - but I will be up with family at the end of May bank hol weekend - there is something special going on but i am bound to secracy at the moment ph34r.gif

It would be nice to see some of the bournemouth/poole crowd down at the plymouth nighter on May 10th 10pm - 4am. There will be no Bill Haley or Buddy Holly played, which may put some off elvis.gif , but it does promise to be a fantastic night of soul. see plymouth thread for more details

Edited by mikecook

Hey Russ here are the times :(BUTCH 9Pm to 10.30./ Joena 10.30 to 11.30/ Russ Vickers 11.30 to 12.45/ Nik Mak 12.45 to 2am.

Butch gets a longer set at the beginning because there's nothing worse than playing your fav tunes to a room that's just filing up.Hopefully peeps will get there early so we can get Butch off quick!! :g:LOL!

thumbup.gifthumbup.gif:P ......................Cheers mate............right, lets get mi box sorted out, as I seem to be working everyday up until the 4th..............so will be raring to goooooooooooooooooooooo Altho a definite SOUL record. if we're making comparisons, I personally think the Contacts owe more than a nod to that sixties US Garage sound............the Carolinas never ceases to amaze me with the sheer amount & breadth of the material released.........& still being, discovered & released today, 'Spirit' being the obvious label, with the Embers having a great CD at the mo too.

WE GOT SOUL BABY! 2 ROOMS OF QUALITY SOUL MUSIC. Room1: CLASSIC & RARE NORTHERN SOUL :rolleyes: j's NIK MAK,BUTCH,JONNA & special guest RUSS VICKERS (100 Club)

Hope to see ya there

Russ

:( boinnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg...........!!!

Russ