Attic 5th April

Big thanks to John May and everyone who came to the Attic last night.

The turn out was excellent and the crowd were treated to a superb spot of quality tunes from John :thumbup:

Hope you can put a playlist up John.

Next month's guest is Paul Donnelly from DKOF so looking forward to that already.

Once again thanks for your support everyone :thumbup: see ya next time

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest biggray1

Yep a top nite at the Attic again,top venue for soulies who require that extra boost in their music flavour, :thumbup: see you all next time ..Peace out . Gray

Ps Djs please post your playlists please :thumbup:

Big thanks to all who came last nite. yes.gif

After nearly 2 years it feels like we're gettin somewhere near the right sort of nite.

Sales boxes,chinstrokers and some dancers.......heaven.!!

Special mention for John May,playing a quality set to an appreciative crowd :thumbup: .

Just for Graham, here's some of what i played late on in no order....(stayed with the heart of the set i played at Soul or Nothing)

NEVER WILL I - MAGNIFICENT 7 ...DIAL

TELL ME WHO - 5 STAIRSTEPS...BUDDAH

I'M A BELIEVER - IDRIS MUHAMMAD...PRESTIGE DJ

ELLA WEEZ - LEROY HUTSON...CURTOM DJ

LONELINESS - JERRY BUTLER...MERCURY

SWEET WAY OF LIVING - PEGGY GAINES...REF-O-REE

I'M SO GLAD I FOUND YOU - LINDA JONES & WHATNAUTS...STANG

DON'T FORGET THAT I LOVE YOU - INTENTIONS...PHILLIPS

GIRL YOU BETTER WAKE UP - LIBERTY...BASF

OLD LOVE - ROE-O-TATION...GERIM

DRIFTING - CLAUDE BABY HUEY...MIOB DJ(cheers Tosh)

LISTEN TO ME - ESQUIRES...STATESIDE

WHAT KIND OF WOMAN - LAVELLE HARDY...ROJAC

LOVE LOOK IN HER EYES - FALCONS...BIG WHEEL

SWEET LIES - EMANUEL LASKEY...THELMA

I CAUGHT YOU IN A LIE - ROBERT PARKER...NOLA

WHAT'S GOING ON - MARVIN GAYE...TAMLA MOTOWN DJ

I'M SO LONELY - SANDRA LOPEZ...PHIL-LA of Soul.

Thanks,and don't forget in MAY we have PAUL DONNELLY guesting :thumbup:

Big thanks to all who came last nite. yes.gif

After nearly 2 years it feels like we're gettin somewhere near the right sort of nite.

Sales boxes,chinstrokers and some dancers.......heaven.!!

Special mention for John May,playing a quality set to an appreciative crowd :thumbup: .

We really must make an effort to get down to you next time Kev, sounds like our kind of gig!

Glad things are starting to look up for you guys, have heard great reports from Howard, Paul, Mak etc

So we have to get there soon!

Best

M. :thumbup:

Edited by MarkWhiteley

A big thanks to the Attic Gang for having me on, great hospitalality as per usual. I had an enjoyable 1 1/2 hours ( or was it 90 minutes ) playing me tunes. As per requested, here is the playlist. come on the rest of you Attic boys, still waiting for all your lists too.

Once again thanks alot guys.......

ADMIRATIONS ...PLEASE LEAVE ME...ONE DER FUL

SATISFACTIONS...TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT...SMASH

THE DONTELLS....IN YOUR HEART....PRESIDENT

BONNIE BRISKER....SO MUCH LOVE...MAGIC CITY

INVITATIONS...WATCH OUT LITTLE GIRL...MGM DJ

GILLETTES...SAME IDENTICAL THING...J&S

ANTHONY & THE AQUALADS...I REMEMBER...GOLD BEE D.J

BEVERLY McKAY...SAY IT WITH FEELING....OLD TOWN D.J

ROSCO & BARBARA....COULD THIS BE LOVE...OLD TOWN

SHIRLEY KAROL.....JUST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY...DAKAR D.J

YVONNE CARROLL....PLEASE DON'T GO....VEE JAY D.J

WINSTONS...AIN'T NOTHING LIKE A LITTLE LOVIN'....CURTOM

THE FURYS...I LOST MY BABY....MACK 1V

THE FLAIRS...YOU GOT TO STEAL IT...RAP

THE QUOTATIONS...I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY....DI VENUS

BOB COLLINS...MY ONE AND ONLY GIRL...MAINLINE

CHOSEN FEW...BIRTH OF A PLAYBOY....CANYON

THE MONZAS....YOU TURN ME ON....MOON

PARAMOUNT FOUR...YOU DON'T KNOW....SOUTHERN CITY

BILLY JAMES...DON'T YOU THINK I OUGHT TO KNOW...TEEK

BARRETT STRONG....I BETTER RUN...TOLLIE

JAY WIGGINS....TEARS OF A LOVER....SOLID

T.J WILLIAMS....BABY, I NEED YOU...JOSIE

JIMMY SEALS...THE YESTERDAY OF OUR LOVE...CHALLENGE

CAM CAMERON....THEY SAY ....CAPRI

FOUR SONICS....EASIER SAID THAN DONE....SPORT D.J

JOHN ROBERTS....TO BE MY GIRL....DUKE D.J

WILLIE COOPER & THE WEBS....YOU DON'T LOVE NOBODY....WHIZ

JOHNNY WESLEY & THE FOUR TEES....YOU STIL NEED ME....MELIC

MELLOW FELLOWS....MY BABY NEEDS ME...DOT

THE ROCKMASTERS...RAINING TEARDROPS....ROMULUS

LITTLE HANK...TRY TO UNDERSTAND....SS7

FRANK LYNCH....YOUNG GIRL....MY RECORDS

BEVERLY SHAFFER...WHERE WILL YOU BOY ?...ONEDERFUL

THE ULTIMATIONS....WOULD I DO IT OVER...MARVLUS

JM

Guest biggray1

A big thanks to the Attic Gang for having me on, great hospitalality as per usual. I had an enjoyable 1 1/2 hours ( or was it 90 minutes ) playing me tunes. As per requested, here is the playlist. come on the rest of you Attic boys, still waiting for all your lists too.

Once again thanks alot guys.......

ADMIRATIONS ...PLEASE LEAVE ME...ONE DER FUL

SATISFACTIONS...TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT...SMASH

THE DONTELLS....IN YOUR HEART....PRESIDENT

BONNIE BRISKER....SO MUCH LOVE...MAGIC CITY

INVITATIONS...WATCH OUT LITTLE GIRL...MGM DJ

GILLETTES...SAME IDENTICAL THING...J&S

ANTHONY & THE AQUALADS...I REMEMBER...GOLD BEE D.J

BEVERLY McKAY...SAY IT WITH FEELING....OLD TOWN D.J

ROSCO & BARBARA....COULD THIS BE LOVE...OLD TOWN

SHIRLEY KAROL.....JUST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY...DAKAR D.J

YVONNE CARROLL....PLEASE DON'T GO....VEE JAY D.J

WINSTONS...AIN'T NOTHING LIKE A LITTLE LOVIN'....CURTOM

THE FURYS...I LOST MY BABY....MACK 1V

THE FLAIRS...YOU GOT TO STEAL IT...RAP

THE QUOTATIONS...I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY....DI VENUS

BOB COLLINS...MY ONE AND ONLY GIRL...MAINLINE

CHOSEN FEW...BIRTH OF A PLAYBOY....CANYON

THE MONZAS....YOU TURN ME ON....MOON

PARAMOUNT FOUR...YOU DON'T KNOW....SOUTHERN CITY

BILLY JAMES...DON'T YOU THINK I OUGHT TO KNOW...TEEK

BARRETT STRONG....I BETTER RUN...TOLLIE

JAY WIGGINS....TEARS OF A LOVER....SOLID

T.J WILLIAMS....BABY, I NEED YOU...JOSIE

JIMMY SEALS...THE YESTERDAY OF OUR LOVE...CHALLENGE

CAM CAMERON....THEY SAY ....CAPRI

FOUR SONICS....EASIER SAID THAN DONE....SPORT D.J

JOHN ROBERTS....TO BE MY GIRL....DUKE D.J

WILLIE COOPER & THE WEBS....YOU DON'T LOVE NOBODY....WHIZ

JOHNNY WESLEY & THE FOUR TEES....YOU STIL NEED ME....MELIC

MELLOW FELLOWS....MY BABY NEEDS ME...DOT

THE ROCKMASTERS...RAINING TEARDROPS....ROMULUS

LITTLE HANK...TRY TO UNDERSTAND....SS7

FRANK LYNCH....YOUNG GIRL....MY RECORDS

BEVERLY SHAFFER...WHERE WILL YOU BOY ?...ONEDERFUL

THE ULTIMATIONS....WOULD I DO IT OVER...MARVLUS

JM

Fanbloodytastic John..aint earholed a lot of these 45s for years.Jimmy Seals was brill and Cam Cameron sounded fantastic..cool bro... Graham.

Indeed, top stuff John thumbsup.gif

Here's a few I played

Manhattans - There Goes a Fool ( Carnival )

Cindy Gibson - I'll Always Love You ( General )

Vontastics - You Can Work It Out ( St Lawrence )

Maurice & Radiants - Baby You've Got It ( Chess )

4 Sonics - Tell Me You're Mine ( Sepia )

Apollas - You're Absolutely Right ( Loma )

California Rock Choir - Whoever You Are ( Cyclone )

Marvellos - Why Do You Want To Hurt The One Who Loves You ( Loma )

Stu Gardner - Never Gonna Hurt Again ( Revue )

September Jones - I'm With You ( Body & Soul - prev unnissued )

Autographs - Sad Sad Feeling ( Loma )

Nolan Chance - If He Makes You ( Constellation )

Marshall & The Chi-Lites - The Price of Love ( Dakar )

Jimmy Love - 2 Sides To Every Story ( Josie )

Creations - I've Got To Find Her ( Globe )

Larks - For The Love Of Money ( Arock )

Star Treks - Gonna Need Magic ( Veep WD )

I'd like to extend my thanks to all who made it up to The Attic last night, and found their way through the new entrance. We had many old friends and a few new, all of us who put this evening together are allowing ourselves to believe we've got the night now to where we imagined it, and hoped it would be. No pressure to play to the floor, but a comfortable environment to have a dance, and a crowd who appreciate hearing something away from the usual floorfillers. We attract some quality guests and John May carried that torch on with style (perhaps the Chinese olympic committee would like to use him?). We like to think that each of those who come bring something to room, some of you bring some gravitas to the night, some long histories and lots of knowledge, some humour . . . . . . but I will say when Tats walked in, the pure sex appeal of the night went up 200%

Here's a dozen from my turn for the early hour 7.30 - 8.30:

Willie Hutch - I Can't Get Enough (Modern promo)

Ray Scott - The Real Thing (Decca promo)

The Exciters - You Know It Aint Right (Shout promo)

Ann Sexton - I Still Love You (Seventy7 promo)

Florence DeVore - Kiss Me Now (Phi-Dan)

Gene Chandler - I Can Take Care of Myself (Constellation)

Wesley Paige and the Master Three - I've Got To Find Out For Myself (Rojac)

Junior McCants - The Boy Needs A Girl (King promo)

Eddie McGee - What Made You Change (Hi DJ)

The Ones - Happy Day (Motown, is this just too cheap to be played? - what a voice)

Hank Jacobs and the TKO's - Speak To Me In Your Soulful Way (Call Me promo)

The Fantastic Four - Pin Point It Down (Soul promo)

Great night, thanks again to John May. Should be a big night in May with the larger than life Paul Donnelly carrying on the tradition. see you soon, Dean.

Good stuff again lads , missed Deans and most of Steve's spot but really enjoyed last 2 hours or so from John and Kev.

Always worth the journey for us, keep doing what you do as you now seem to have a regular small but very appreciative gathering.

See you soon

Paul & Sue thumbsup.gif:thumbup:

Guest BigPaul

Great nite,loved it, top tuneage, only on floor once to The Dontells. So apologies to all the people whose earholes took a pounding with the incessant Bollox emanating from ever open trap!

Regards

Paul

Ps Im a quiet fella really!!!!!

Guest biggray1

but I will say when Tats walked in, the pure sex appeal of the night went up 200%

Ooh'er Dean I'm afraid we will have to keep an eye on you laugh.gif

Guest Mart B

Great night yet again,the attic crew are setting out their aims to play underplayed and up front northern soul which is what the scene has "always" been about "imo" and delivering.John May played some tunes i had not heard before,they were quality...followed up by Dean/Steve L/Garrrry and Kev H.There was also a very knowledgable crowd in "record collectors" & "promoters" which is a good sign you are on the pulse. One thing for sure you wont hear the same northern track repeated 3 or 4 times in one night @ the attic..... :thumbsup:

but I will say when Tats walked in, the pure sex appeal of the night went up 200%

Ooh'er Dean I'm afraid we will have to keep an eye on you laugh.gif

Comfortable with my own sexuality, doesn't stop me appreciating that sheer masculine beauty and animal electricity that Tats brings into room :thumbsup:

"Comfortable with my own sexuality, doesn't stop me appreciating that sheer masculine beauty and animal electricity that Tats brings into room" :thumbsup:

Dean, the sheer masculine beauty and animal electricity that Tats brought into the room was me "Bully" shades.gif

No, you're just the animal that Tats bought into the room, different thing entirely :shades: . I'll stop now going a bit off track just a wee bit . . . . . . . . anyway it was a great night and good to see you all, and your pets.

hiya attic boys, had a top night on my first visit. great little venue, fab music nice to hear a few tunes

which i have hidden in me record boxes (hint hint) plus alot more(hint hint) lol.

nice to meet a few s/sers, everyone so friendly and very knowledgable. it made that trip back to

snowless peterborough enjoyable and worth the trip, eventhough ray did do a detour though

nottingham club land very interesting :thumbsup: them youngsters will catch a cold.....

what did get us giggling was whilst driving out of mansfield, snow coming down, a bloke standing

outside his house with a husky dog didnt see his sledge though laugh.gif the dog looked quite bemused

with what this white stuff falling from the sky was!

anyway a most enjoyable night will be back for sure, keep the good work up boys!!!

regards

russ

ps need to change the bar staff not as pretty as the ones friday night :shades:

hiya attic boys, had a top night on my first visit. great little venue, fab music nice to hear a few tunes

which i have hidden in me record boxes (hint hint) plus alot more(hint hint) lol.

nice to meet a few s/sers, everyone so friendly and very knowledgable. it made that trip back to

snowless peterborough enjoyable and worth the trip, eventhough ray did do a detour though

nottingham club land very interesting :thumbup: them youngsters will catch a cold.....

what did get us giggling was whilst driving out of mansfield, snow coming down, a bloke standing

outside his house with a husky dog didnt see his sledge though :wicked: the dog looked quite bemused

with what this white stuff falling from the sky was!

anyway a most enjoyable night will be back for sure, keep the good work up boys!!!

regards

russ

ps need to change the bar staff not as pretty as the ones friday night :shades:

At least our bar staff can stand up :ohmy: .

Great to see you and Ray ,glad you both made it back thru the snow thumbsup.gif .

Just nicking John's identity to leave the Attic guys a big 'thumbs up' for a great night and warm welcome on Satuday thumbup.gif the misic was fantastic all night...

Regard Mrs May

Deanne

GOD! you're the spitting image of John,,un-bloody-canny :thumbsup: .He did a great spot tho' didn't he. :thumbsup: Till next time........

Really nice to be back , also nice nice to se the TV people have not gone to your heads (who knows THE ATTIC lads may be on Big Brother , I'm A celebrity get me out of here).

Johns spot was nothing more than I expected , top notch .

I would say it was the best crowd so far wihich is testiment to the effort put in by the lads . Good to met Russ and Ray.

The only sad thing for me was I had to slope off very sharpishly , was a bit off colour but ok now..

Bring on next month with mr P Donnelly.

Yes, great night following on from our Friday session with the Attic boys who came all the way down to Peterborough for DKOF on the Friday. Great spots from all - John May played some blinding tracks, well done John it was well worth the trip. Only downside was 4 hours in the car with Russ ohmy.gif . It was also a shock flinging open the Attic's exit doors in the early hours to see a couple of inches of snow! Yes, laugh of the night was seeing this guy dragging his Husky dog out into snow - the dog looking at him (and I am sure if the dog could speak it would be saying "youve gotta be kidding me, I am not going out in this!!") :lol: .

Edited by Raym

Yes, great night following on from our Friday session with the Attic boys who came all the way down to Peterborough for DKOF on the Friday. Great spots from all - John May played some blinding tracks, well done John it was well worth the trip. Only downside was 4 hours in the car with Russ :lol: . It was also a shock flinging open the Attic's exit doors in the early hours to see a couple of inches of snow! Yes, laugh of the night was seeing this guy dragging his Husky dog out into snow - the dog looking at him (and I am sure if the dog could speak it would be saying "youve gotta be kidding me, I am not going out in this!!") :lol: .

Thanks Ray appreciate the edit thumbup.gif