Bishops Wood

Saturday at Bishops Wood, Great little venue,playing great soulful music(not over played records), lve had to start this topic because lm suprised no one else has, ohh what am l saying, l shouldnt be suprised cus in actual fact there were only a few of us who actually made the effort to turn up, so well done to all of us for being dedicated followers of soul, other wannabe`s might like to thank us for trying to keep the soul scene and local venues such as this going for their future benefit.

If you claim to be into soul "northern soul", then get off your arses and bloody well support the local venues that deserve support like this one , and others that deserve recognition also that l will mention at the end of this pissed off text.

Credit where its due:

Col and Gaye Kidson, Larry,Elaine, without their hard work and dedication this event wouldnt exist, so thanyou all for giving up your time and effort for us and ingrates( l thank you on their behalf).

Guest D.J`s Dude and John Fisher, whom might l had traveled through bad weather conditions to entertain local soul fans with a great choice in totally across the board gems , some not heard in a long long time, and those of us who did turn up danced our hearts out. Thankyou guys, a job well done......................................so where were you locals then, Bingo? or obviously somewhere better, you probably found out me and Harpo were going to be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resident jocks, Col Kidson, Gaye Kidson, Larry, They all played great spots, l hope they all put their playlists on here so you can read what you missed out on, well done to you all, we appreciated everything you did, thankyou.

Must mention Col played a record lve been asking to be played at venues for months now, l did`nt ask for it to be played here, so Col you must have the same great taste in soul music as me, what a star..We The People/Making My Daydream Real, excellent record.

Hope this dont put you off promoting Bishops Wood cus that would be a shame , but if it comes to it that you have to shut up shop, then lm not going to very happy with my fellow local soul brothers and sisters, for spoiling it for me and everyone else who does give a damn.

other venues that deserve respect, from local "soulies" are, Stafford Rangers, Oakley Country Club, The stables, & The connaught. Great Venues, fantastic music, friendly people.

l dont want to hear anyone moaning about the decline of the soul scene while effort from local soul fans is none existant, Soul means exactly that, having passion for the music we love and believe in, so where the hell are you lot????

Think you need to start supporting the local venues before we lose out altogether, you dont need another reason to moan,but this time it will be about the distance you will have to travel.

Dont cut your noses off to spite your face, you know it makes sense, and if your reasons behind your lack of support are political, then l need to tell you l thought it was about the music, politic belong in the house of commons along with the bigots who sit there.

Sandi

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Saturday at Bishops Wood, Great little venue,playing great soulful music(not over played records), lve had to start this topic because lm suprised no one else has, ohh what am l saying, l shouldnt be suprised cus in actual fact there were only a few of us who actually made the effort to turn up, so well done to all of us for being dedicated followers of soul, other wannabe`s might like to thank us for trying to keep the soul scene and local venues such as this going for their future benefit.

If you claim to be into soul "northern soul", then get off your arses and bloody well support the local venues that deserve support like this one , and others that deserve recognition also that l will mention at the end of this pissed off text.

Credit where its due:

Col and Gaye Kidson, Larry,Elaine, without their hard work and dedication this event wouldnt exist, so thanyou all for giving up your time and effort for us and ingrates( l thank you on their behalf).

Guest D.J`s Dude and John Fisher, whom might l had traveled through bad weather conditions to entertain local soul fans with a great choice in totally across the board gems , some not heard in a long long time, and those of us who did turn up danced our hearts out. Thankyou guys, a job well done......................................so where were you locals then, Bingo? or obviously somewhere better, you probably found out me and Harpo were going to be there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Resident jocks, Col Kidson, Gaye Kidson, Larry, They all played great spots, l hope they all put their playlists on here so you can read what you missed out on, well done to you all, we appreciated everything you did, thankyou.

Must mention Col played a record lve been asking to be played at venues for months now, l did`nt ask for it to be played here, so Col you must have the same great taste in soul music as me, what a star..We The People/Making My Daydream Real, excellent record.

Hope this dont put you off promoting Bishops Wood cus that would be a shame , but if it comes to it that you have to shut up shop, then lm not going to very happy with my fellow local soul brothers and sisters, for spoiling it for me and everyone else who does give a damn.

other venues that deserve respect, from local "soulies" are, Stafford Rangers, Oakley Country Club, The stables, & The connaught. Great Venues, fantastic music, friendly people.

l dont want to hear anyone moaning about the decline of the soul scene while effort from local soul fans is none existant, Soul means exactly that, having passion for the music we love and believe in, so where the hell are you lot????

Think you need to start supporting the local venues before we lose out altogether, you dont need another reason to moan,but this time it will be about the distance you will have to travel.

Dont cut your noses off to spite your face, you know it makes sense, and if your reasons behind your lack of support are political, then l need to tell you l thought it was about the music, politic belong in the house of commons along with the bigots who sit there.

Sandi

totally agree with you about the venue Sandi, and the promotors - but in all honesty there was no way Annie and I could have got there even if we'd known it was on this weekend.

We've had some great nights here over the last few months - which isn't bad considering its not been running that long.

I honestly thought it was next Saturday, as did a few others - and spoke with Col and Gaye on Friday night and it was never mentioned - we were talking more of the success of last months Niter.

As far as the other venues are concerned - I have and will continue to support them ( though have yet to get to the Oakley) shifts allowing - though this doesn't mean I won't travel even if there is a local night on - to spend time with other friends.

Have to agree on "We the People" - been looking for one for over a year at the right price but if you're at Broad Lane on Friday I'm sure Gaz Lees will play it.

I am not fond of the politics either - I certainly never remember it being around back in 1969/70 when I first got involved - in fact it was the mutual respect for all and the passion that helped form me and my opinions as well as the passion for the music.

The politics and back biting will kill the local scene eventually and sadly I can't see how this can be stopped. I don't promote nor ever wish to do so - I am quite happy playing my records for an hour and enjoying the nights and am happy to help out if asked.

I have enjoyed the Connaught in the past, may well do so in the future - but again the shift work dictated that I even had to take a holiday when I was the guest there. It was worth it !

Same with the Stables nights, even before New Century came in , as its too good a venue to lose, Phil Richards, Max and others did the same.

The plethora of venues offer a choice for everyone - but the average folks only have so much cash available - lets hope that enough people get thru the doors to keep them running !

Wulfie

Guest gouldensoul

totally agree with you about the venue Sandi, and the promotors - but in all honesty there was no way Annie and I could have got there even if we'd known it was on this weekend.

We've had some great nights here over the last few months - which isn't bad considering its not been running that long.

I honestly thought it was next Saturday, as did a few others - and spoke with Col and Gaye on Friday night and it was never mentioned - we were talking more of the success of last months Niter.

As far as the other venues are concerned - I have and will continue to support them ( though have yet to get to the Oakley) shifts allowing - though this doesn't mean I won't travel even if there is a local night on - to spend time with other friends.

Have to agree on "We the People" - been looking for one for over a year at the right price but if you're at Broad Lane on Friday I'm sure Gaz Lees will play it.

I am not fond of the politics either - I certainly never remember it being around back in 1969/70 when I first got involved - in fact it was the mutual respect for all and the passion that helped form me and my opinions as well as the passion for the music.

The politics and back biting will kill the local scene eventually and sadly I can't see how this can be stopped. I don't promote nor ever wish to do so - I am quite happy playing my records for an hour and enjoying the nights and am happy to help out if asked.

I have enjoyed the Connaught in the past, may well do so in the future - but again the shift work dictated that I even had to take a holiday when I was the guest there. It was worth it !

Same with the Stables nights, even before New Century came in , as its too good a venue to lose, Phil Richards, Max and others did the same.

The plethora of venues offer a choice for everyone - but the average folks only have so much cash available - lets hope that enough people get thru the doors to keep them running !

Wulfie

well we went along on saturday. The Music was good and there was something for every one

well done Mr Fisher Driving back from Newquay to play your set

COL, Larry and the girls certainly are trying to make this a good night for soulies and i must admit are doing a good job to date the venue is brilliant with plenty of parking and " its very clean" unlike certain places ive visited over the last three years or s.keep up the good work and

WELL SEE YOU NEXT TIME WE GO THERE

:)

Really sorry to miss this as i have enjoyed the last 3 tremendously, had to go to Rubgy as i have been booked for the June Rugby all nighter. Col and Larry and the girls have done a great job there and Col remains one of the real nice guys on the scene hope its on in May

Credit where its due:

Sandi

Hi we did not make it up last weekend but we do spend more soul time in the west midlands than Northants you do have exellent venues and we try to get to as many as we can. Had a brill time at the Bishops niter. As we travel all over to just this sort of venue to hear summat different have to say its much the same story with a few exceptions. Its sad but a lot soulies seem to have lost the will to even travel 3 miles and are happy to stay with what they know. Maybe a thread to cater with the clubs that play something different.

Hope things pick up shame to loos it

best Kimbo n Lisa. Northants.

Edited by kimbo

Wulfie

Totally in agreeance on what you,ve said Dave thumbsup.gif

Me & Martin could,nt make Bishops Wood due to other commitments (Soul Academy)........its the first one we have missed since it started though i have to say!! And i did txt Larry to say we were sorry we could.,t make it :P ..........shame!! But why???? Cos it is a cracking venue with every thing you could possibly want,for the perfect soul night!! :thumbup:

But so too is Stafford,s ~ Soul Academy ~ whom me & martin are residents of now,we did,nt have a very good turnout either sad.gif and again why????? Cos its another cracking venue thats got the lot!! :lol:

We have always supported venues all over the country and will continue to do so!! But a couple of venues we,ve have shown a hell of a lot of support for, it just goes a miss,and you don,t get the support back in return :)

JB xxxKTFxxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN

Credit where its due:

Sandi

hi harpo!! good for you sticking up for a local venue! i was at hednesford fc covering for gary lees who had gone to wembley to support his team, i later went to stafford rangers club!! blimey that's 2 local venues in one night!! i might well have made it 3 if i had known bishops wood was on!! sorry mate just can't be everywhere!! 1 was at another local venue on fri and another along with you pair of terrible twins on sunday so i think between us we'd done our bit!!

max..

Firstly we (Col & Myself) would like to thank once again all those attended on Saturday night. The date as posted on Soul Source and advertised was 5th April, if the 13th was shown, then this was wrong. We have always intended not to clash with other local venues, weekenders and nighters where possible, but it's also about dates permitting with the venue. We know that DJ's have committments and cannot be everywhere and people make their own choice of where they go and what they want to hear. Yes, there were plenty of venues on Saturday and OK the numbers were down on this night and Yes, it would have been nice for more Soulies. As for concerns that we will close it, don't worry we are totally committed in keeping this venue open and running. One low attended night, don't stop the show, as we believe that we have a great venue, with the right facilities and with the right music policy. We intend to get as many DJ's as we can from around the UK at Bishops Wood. Those who know us, know we are not judgemental of anyone and just do our own thing. We will still support other venues, where possible and time permitting. Obviously, some emotions have been expressed over the support Sat night, but that's people's opinions and felt from their hearts. We have planned our dates for the year and now have DJ's confirmed. We just going to "KEEP ON KEEPING ON, NOT MATTER HOW HARD IT IS"

Firstly we (Col & Myself) would like to thank once again all those attended on Saturday night. The date as posted on Soul Source and advertised was 5th April, if the 13th was shown, then this was wrong. We have always intended not to clash with other local venues, weekenders and nighters where possible, but it's also about dates permitting with the venue. We know that DJ's have committments and cannot be everywhere and people make their own choice of where they go and what they want to hear. Yes, there were plenty of venues on Saturday and OK the numbers were down on this night and Yes, it would have been nice for more Soulies. As for concerns that we will close it, don't worry we are totally committed in keeping this venue open and running. One low attended night, don't stop the show, as we believe that we have a great venue, with the right facilities and with the right music policy. We intend to get as many DJ's as we can from around the UK at Bishops Wood. Those who know us, know we are not judgemental of anyone and just do our own thing. We will still support other venues, where possible and time permitting. Obviously, some emotions have been expressed over the support Sat night, but that's people's opinions and felt from their hearts. We have planned our dates for the year and now have DJ's confirmed. We just going to "KEEP ON KEEPING ON, NOT MATTER HOW HARD IT IS"

Hi Jellybean, don't worry, we know you, Martin & Spider support as many places as you can and we know you will be back when you can...See ya soon

well said larry, just keep going for it mate! it is impossible nowadays not to have at least 2 or 3 do's on in this area on any weekend night, it's just so crammed with do's!! you're music policy is a credit to you & col, that's the way you want it please stick to you're guns!! you will always find enough soulies to support you!!last sat was a real bad one with i know of 4 do's that were on within about 20 mins of each other plus 2 of the best allnighters in the country, so no wonder there were not enough people to go round!! i think you know that there is a lot of support in the area for what you are doing, you have a lovely little venue & above all you are very nice real people!!

max..

Well I reckon there are some secret Baggies fans in the wolvo area and they'd all gone to Wembley for the semi final. tongue.gif

Next soul nights the 2nd week of the month so it'll be a clash with different venues next time. I reckon if there were 6 saturdays in a month it wouldn't make any difference....... someone else would come along with another soul night or two.

Just like to add my thanks to the people who came and lets look forward to the soul night on 10th May with John Pugh and Paul Gould and the nighter on 14th June.

Max and Wulfie - the flyers were on the entrance table at the Queen Mary Ballroom on Friday - guess you didn't notice them 'cos you were already commited to other things for the Saturday. Going to have to give them to you in your hands the next time I see you. :lol:

Gaye

Well I reckon there are some secret Baggies fans in the wolvo area and they'd all gone to Wembley for the semi final. tongue.gif

Next soul nights the 2nd week of the month so it'll be a clash with different venues next time. I reckon if there were 6 saturdays in a month it wouldn't make any difference....... someone else would come along with another soul night or two.

Just like to add my thanks to the people who came and lets look forward to the soul night on 10th May with John Pugh and Paul Gould and the nighter on 14th June.

Max and Wulfie - the flyers were on the entrance table at the Queen Mary Ballroom on Friday - guess you didn't notice them 'cos you were already commited to other things for the Saturday. Going to have to give them to you in your hands the next time I see you. :lol:

Gaye

sorry gaye, my mate mr pugh on again & i'm at "soulvation"

max..

Credit where its due:

Sandi

I totally agree, this is a superb venue, well situated, great music and a very friendly crowd. The answer I think is simple for the people on the soul scene regarding all local venues "Use it before you lose it". Don't let it happen, get out there and fill those local soul venues. To Col, Larry and all that work so hard, keep up the good work. I'll be there supporting you next month and to all the people who come across this thread, "Don't forget the all-nighter June 14th at Bishops Wood" the last one was a cracker!!!!

Well I reckon there are some secret Baggies fans in the wolvo area and they'd all gone to Wembley for the semi final. :lol:

Gaye

not only that - I was actually doing a favour for a Baggies supporter - how good is that wicked.gif

Can't make May as I'm djing up in Yorkshire but if I'm not on shift in June I will definitely enjoy that Niter - more like a party atmosphere than any other I've been to.

Keep on keeping on

Wulfie

Guest gouldensoul

not only that - I was actually doing a favour for a Baggies supporter - how good is that :wicked:

Can't make May as I'm djing up in Yorkshire but if I'm not on shift in June I will definitely enjoy that Niter - more like a party atmosphere than any other I've been to.

Keep on keeping on

Wulfie

well ive been reading all the comments about the night. looks like ill be bringing motown, cross over and biggies next time. (may even play we the people) if any ones got a specific favourit tune just shout and ill try and

Play it when i get there

wink.gif:thumbup:whistling.gif