Bournemouth Railway Club

Guest Dave Mortimore

Guest Dave Mortimore

What can I say. Yet another very good night. Bournemouth is buzzing with Northern Soul events.

I'm generally quite hard to please, as I go for classic oldies, which we got in the likes of Dana Valery - You don't know where your interests lie, Johny Sayles - I can't get enough, Bobby Williams - I've only got myself to blame, Cause your mine, shoes, etc. Yet, what I find refreshing is the type of rare sounds that you can get to hear at the Railway Club.

Unlike most rare soul, that in my view invariably doesn't make the grade. You do get to hear stomping RNB numbers and rarely heard sounds, typically from Tim Smithers, that have bite, tempo and are eminently danceable. Which leads to my only problem and that is finding the required space to ply the dancefloor when so many other punters are doing the same thing.

Being, in my opinion, second only to Bishopstoke ( next event Sat, April 12th ) on the South Coast, D.J. and promoter, Jonah, has put together a superb event that draws in a very sociable local crowd and quite a few notable and friendly outsiders from places like Plymouth, Paul & Julia from Chichester, Ian Curtis, Sally and others from Newbury.

For playing two requests, I would like to thank Simon Preston for Harvey Scales - Too good to be true and Tim Smithers for Betty Lou & Bobby Adams - Dr. Truelove.

We're looking forward to the next event on May 12th

-

Dave (+ Jan ) Mortimore ( ex- Stoke-on-Trent )

• Replies 7
  • Views 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Mortimore

I'm sorry if I've misled anyone. I said in my last post that the next Railway club event is May 12th, when it is actually on May 24th.

I hope there's no confusion - Dave Mortimore

Hi Dave im glad you enjoyed it, there's not much else i can say, think you have described the event to a tee [ we will endeavor to knock Bishopstoke of the no 1 spot, but really i think it will be a hard task as its got the word Stoke in it ] hopefully we will see you at the next one, where i wont be djing so i can chat to you why we only like playing original 45s not boots something that you don't understand being a dancer and not like me someone who has a nose over the decks to check the records authenticity, sad i know.

Best

Tim

Edited by tim smithers

hopefully we will see you at the next one, where i wont be djing so i can chat to you why we only like playing original 45s not boots something that you don't understand being a dancer and not like me someone who has a nose over the decks to check the records authenticity, sad i know.

Best

Tim

Hi Tim,

Nice to see someone else like me using the no boots policy.I know the dancers don't care what the format is but at least the promoters do.Keep up the good work. thumbsup.gif

Dave.

You got to keep with this policey i think dave, anyway a few tracks that was played on the nite

Tamala Lewis / You wont say nothing / Orange Marton

Cecil Washington / I dont like to lose / Soulsounds 2

Eddie Foster / I never new / In coloured demo

Magnetics / Lady in green / white label 1

Alexander Patton / A lil lovig / soulsounds 101 whistling.gif

Edited by tim smithers
Guest Julia

Hi Dave im glad you enjoyed it, there's not much else i can say, think you have described the event to a tee [ we will endeavor to knock Bishopstoke of the no 1 spot, but really i think it will be a hard task as its got the word Stoke in it ]

Tim- why don't you rename The Railway Club - Bournemouthstoke Railway Club? - problem solved!

Ditto Dave - always enjoy your and Jan's company. Cracking night on Saturday - gutted to be missing Bishopstoke, the dancefloor is all yours!

Paul and Julia. from Chichesterstoke