Dancers

Reading the thread about duffy dancers, made me think who were the best dancers you`ve seen, i personally remember two SANDY HOLT. and don`t know his first name but we new him as JIMMY don`t know wether that was a nickname as he was scotch, he allways danced in front of the stage in mr m`s at wigan :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 186
  • Views 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest in town Mikey

I could watch dancers for hours. i loved it as a fresh faced kid first venturing into the Stroud Subscription Rooms, and I still love it as much today.

Back then Dennis lee from Gloucester used to blow me away. I also love the guys who have their own, unique take on 'our' dancing. Ion springs to mind. I loved watching him get lost in a record.

Probably a little off beat here, but in Paul Sadots play, the girls dancing, just how I remember many of the girls back then blew me away. I thought of all the parts of the play, that bit was the most spine tingling.

Social source share

Reading the thread about duffy dancers, made me think who were the best dancers you`ve seen, i personally remember two SANDY HOLT. and don`t know his first name but we new him as JIMMY don`t know wether that was a nickname as he was scotch, he allways danced in front of the stage in mr m`s at wigan :D

That was then Harry,who do we consider to be a decent dancer these days I wonder

Bazza

Social source share

Reading the thread about duffy dancers, made me think who were the best dancers you`ve seen, i personally remember two SANDY HOLT. and don`t know his first name but we new him as JIMMY don`t know wether that was a nickname as he was scotch, he allways danced in front of the stage in mr m`s at wigan :thumbup:

Frank Booper thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest JoeMoran

Paul Mulholland from Galway is nifty with his footwork, it has to be said. Theres also a girl from Belfast (forget her name) that is amazing - nothing special about her moves but very graceful when she gets going

Social source share

I believe Andy Simpson ( The Pittance)from Bradford was pretty good in his heyday.

Yes , Andy was a very good dancer ........

Is the said gentleman still around ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Allways remember VERNON having his hair in beads, and going into one of his famous spins, the beads came out as he was spinning, ws like a machine gun going off, people falling all over the place beads all over the dancefloor, don`t think they were playing SLIPPING AROUND either :thumbup:

Social source share

Does anybody remember a smallish (aren't they all) lad from Burnley (I think) called Glen (I think) who used to dance in front of the DJ decks/stage at the Mecca c.1973/4.

On previous discussions his name never crops up, unless that is he's not called Glen whistling

Anyhow whatever he's called he was awesome.

Social source share

Guest shaunmarie

i personally always liked watching carl from annersley/nottingham i heard he aint to good at min but IMO he was/is good

b good shaun :thumbup:

J20 THE WYCLIFFE ROOMS LUTTERWORTH APRIL 12th

Edited by shaunmarie
Social source share

Used to love watching a lass called kathy kirby from leeds no not the singer thumbup.gif

I had a thing for Kathy Kirby - the singer , not the lass from Leeds :thumbup: .........

Malc Burton

post-5097-1207659414.jpg

Social source share

Does anybody remember a smallish (aren't they all) lad from Burnley (I think) called Glen (I think) who used to dance in front of the DJ decks/stage at the Mecca c.1973/4.

On previous discussions his name never crops up, unless that is he's not called Glen whistling.gif

Anyhow whatever he's called he was awesome.

Glen Tunbridge!..............dont be coy about calling him "Smallish".....he was a right short arse but a brilliant dancer.

Got married mid 70`s and as far as I know stayed off the scene.

No idea where he is now.

:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

That was then Harry,who do we consider to be a decent dancer these days I wonder

Bazza

Dancers of today!

littel Bob Lee from Leicester can move a bit on the dance floor IMO.

Steve J

Social source share

Guest littlemissoul

Reading the thread about duffy dancers, made me think who were the best dancers you`ve seen, i personally remember two SANDY HOLT. and don`t know his first name but we new him as JIMMY don`t know wether that was a nickname as he was scotch, he allways danced in front of the stage in mr m`s at wigan biggrin.gif

Biased I may be but in my books it's got to be Sammy Dee.

LMS xXx

Social source share

I could watch dancers for hours. i loved it as a fresh faced kid first venturing into the Stroud Subscription Rooms, and I still love it as much today.

Back then Dennis lee from Gloucester used to blow me away. I also love the guys who have their own, unique take on 'our' dancing. Ion springs to mind. I loved watching him get lost in a record.

Probably a little off beat here, but in Paul Sadots play, the girls dancing, just how I remember many of the girls back then blew me away. I thought of all the parts of the play, that bit was the most spine tingling.

Dennis was good as anyone in the north, back then. Even more so when he danced next to his brother Rob, they could break simultaniuosly into acrobatrics. Jump high into a back drop, frount drop, one leg kick with leg next to their heads, down to a splitz and up into a spin. Awesome would be a fair description.

Social source share

Dennis was good as anyone in the north, back then. Even more so when he danced next to his brother Rob, they could break simultaniuosly into acrobatrics. Jump high into a back drop, frount drop, one leg kick with leg next to their heads, down to a splitz and up into a spin. Awesome would be a fair description.

Have to say I have never been a fan of those kind of antics... not what I'd class as dancing from your heart... but hey... that's just me.

Always loved watching Guy Hennigan dance... totally unique and soooo cool.

As for dancing from the heart... they don't come much more heartfelt than our very own Captain... Chris Morgan.

Oh... and John Weston... watching this guy dance ALWAYS lifts my heart... I reckon the NHS should prescribe a dose of 'John Weston watching' instead of the time honoured Prozac :thumbsup:

Guys like Chris and John may not be 'technically' brilliant dancers... but what they give from their heart more than makes up for it... and that's what's important in my book!

GREAT STUFF :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest eddyg

Biased I may be but in my books it's got to be Sammy Dee.

LMS xXx

gotta agree the bugger makes it look so easy n from the seventies gotta be simon omeally from dudley could he move n when he gets out nowadays he can still move

Edited by eddyg
Social source share

Have to say I have never been a fan of those kind of antics... not what I'd class as dancing from your heart... but hey... that's just me.

Always loved watching Guy Hennigan dance... totally unique and soooo cool.

As for dancing from the heart... they don't come much more heartfelt than our very own Captain... Chris Morgan.

Oh... and John Weston... watching this guy dance ALWAYS lifts my heart... I reckon the NHS should prescribe a dose of 'John Weston watching' instead of the time honoured Prozac :P

Guys like Chris and John may not be 'technically' brilliant dancers... but what they give from their heart more than makes up for it... and that's what's important in my book!

GREAT STUFF :thumbsup:

I agree with you Joan :thumbsup: non of this acrobatic stuff for me either :P dancing to me is all about the footwork & rythm and feeling the passion of what ever it is you happen to be dancing to........and above all it should look effortless :thumbsup:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Guest eddyg

I agree with you Joan :thumbsup: non of this acrobatic stuff for me either :thumbsup: dancing to me is all about the footwork & rythm and feeling the passion of what ever it is you happen to be dancing to........and above all it should look effortless :thumbsup:

JB xxxKTFxxx

ha ha you best tell mart to calm down then girl n dont forget gemma jeez she can do an awsome backdrop eh xx

Social source share

ha ha you best tell mart to calm down then girl n dont forget gemma jeez she can do an awsome backdrop eh xx

:P Yeah i knows that Eddy :thumbsup: .... Mart & Gem are great at doing that :thumbsup: i mean,t its not something i would wanna do :P not saying theres any thing wrong with the acrobatic stuff at all :thumbsup: xxxx

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Must say there were some excellent dancers of the female variety at the last Stables and also at Burnley the night before - great to watch!!! Plus how happy were me and Molly to at last find the loudest clapper in the world after seeing her years ago at the Marrs Bar.............Julia from Worcester (I think) - we'd been looking for her for yonks.

Social source share

Glen Tunbridge!..............dont be coy about calling him "Smallish".....he was a right short arse but a brilliant dancer.

Got married mid 70`s and as far as I know stayed off the scene.

No idea where he is now.

:thumbsup:

Hi Steve,

Glen and Maralyn still together living in Burnley.Back on subject one of the best dancers i've seen besides Glen is Roy (speed)Stewart,still giving it death around the Northwest.

Social source share

Hi Steve,

Glen and Maralyn still together living in Burnley.Back on subject one of the best dancers i've seen besides Glen is Roy (speed)Stewart,still giving it death around the Northwest.

Ive been out of Burnley for 35 yrs and not seen Glen and Marilyn since, I always knew they would stay an item all those years ago, used to travel with them and Keith Ridge, Steve Skinner and the twins (cant remember their names for the life of me, great looking girls) and also Marilyn`s mate with the Ginger hair.

Those were the days my friend, Tum-te-tum :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Roy!!..........Senile Delinquent and a great dancer.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I agree with you Joan :lol: non of this acrobatic stuff for me either :lol: dancing to me is all about the footwork & rythm and feeling the passion of what ever it is you happen to be dancing to........and above all it should look effortless rolleyes.gif

JB xxxKTFxxx

I can see what you guys mean. but Dennis tricks absolutely seemed to fit the tune. I agree, sometimes, the tricks seem to be in defiance of the record playing.

A current dancer I could watch all night is Gareth X. Like his writing on here, there is an effortless grace. (Apologies if I embarrass G)

Social source share

Used to think Jethro from Wolverhampton was one of the best , really natural style .Who was that guy who used to dance near the front corner of Wigan , black hair , not a great dancer but amazing spins ? He's on the "this England "film a lot.Often wondered if these guys / girls ever collected , they were never in the record bar , always " out on the floor ".Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Butch Drage was an awesome dancer, effortless in his technique & also I was in awe of Dennis Lee.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

Oh... and John Weston... watching this guy dance ALWAYS lifts my heart... I reckon the NHS should prescribe a dose of 'John Weston watching' instead of the time honoured Prozac :lol:

GREAT STUFF thumbup.gif

Have to agree Joan, I dont know what technially good is. I just like to see people like the Captain and George in the USA, dancing for themselves, not other people.

Gail would have to be in there aswell....she is the business! Acrobatics? Its a bit out of place nowadays I think, alot of these guys go down and i cant tell if they have fallen over or if its a 'new move' :ohmy: Rather see a 'soul' with their feet shuffling for themselves with a smile on their face. The sort of people that you get a buzz off dancing next to...they create a positive energy. :P

Social source share

Oh... and John Weston... watching this guy dance ALWAYS lifts my heart... I reckon the NHS should prescribe a dose of 'John Weston watching' instead of the time honoured Prozac :lol:

GREAT STUFF thumbup.gif

Have to agree Joan, I dont know what technially good is. I just like to see people like the Captain and George in the USA, dancing for themselves, not other people.

Gail would have to be in there aswell....she is the business! Acrobatics? Its a bit out of place nowadays I think, alot of these guys go down and i cant tell if they have fallen over or if its a 'new move' :ohmy: Rather see a 'soul' with their feet shuffling for themselves with a smile on their face. The sort of people that you get a buzz off dancing next to...they create a positive energy. :P

Love dancin beside someone who's giving off the "I'm f**king Loooooviingg this tune" vibe, after the song turning to the guy/girl next to you and everyones all smiles, no words needed just the facial expression of "F**kin c'mon!! lets have more of that"...

Social source share

What i allways found lovely, was on a crowded dancefloor how people would and still do apologise if the bumped you or stood on your foot, it was like a different scene to me not being a dancer i was allways in the record bars and spent all night in there, but used to travel with three lads who were into there dancing so when we arrived we went our seperate ways and met at the cars in the morning :P

Social source share

Love dancin beside someone who's giving off the "I'm f**king Loooooviingg this tune" vibe, after the song turning to the guy/girl next to you and everyones all smiles, no words needed just the facial expression of "F**kin c'mon!! lets have more of that"...

100% with you on that Liam :P

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Captain Chris Morgan & Jumping Joan. Two people who i could watch dance all night & indeed who i did watch dance all night at Winsford! :P

Social source share

Captain Chris Morgan & Jumping Joan. Two people who i could watch dance all night & indeed who i did watch dance all night at Winsford! laugh.gif

There is a lady who goes to the DDA and was also at the last Taste of Honey with her husband, i always forget her name as im terrible with names but she's a great dancer and a lovely lady...its obvious when you watch her how much she is loving the tunes!! Sorry i cant remember your name if your reading :P

L

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I could watch Kirtsy's friend (Gail) for hours and hours, but the terms of my ASBO probably wouldnt allow it blush.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!