This England Documentary

Guest tanga_the_indestructible

Guest tanga_the_indestructible

Does anyone the name of the bearded fella featured in the This England documentary about Wigan? |I don't think it mentions his name but he talks about having a stall on Bury Market selling 45s.

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

One of the unsung heroes of the scene,his knowledge (and of his partner in crime Rod Shard)are the stuff of legends rounds these parts,plus he is a nice guy,now living in L.A i beleive

Totally agree top guy dave, allways in the first seat as you walked into the record bar at wigan with rod sat nxt to him, those two gave me along with dave raistrick some great advice when starting out as a young record collector, top guys :ohmy:

Social source share

Dave's Missus (Wendy) used to be the manageress of our local BHS Cafeteria (Warrington, early 80's).

BHS was the area we used to congregate in after our Friday away-day All Nighter (whizzing, drinking tea, playing with sugar etc).

Culminating with our blue and white 'BHS BREWMASTERS' T-shirts (around Oddfellows, Hinckley, Buzzard-time).

Just a memory. :thumbsup:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

By the way, I never bore of listening to Dave on that documentary, each and every time I watch it.

He delivers such an eloquent yet beautiful naievity in his view of the Northern Soul life he lived at that time that will stay with me.

His words were/are so bang on.

Social source share

He looked after me at Wigan ( record wise ) and used to come to the colwyn Bay nighters and stay at mums house. .

I remember when another famous manchester soulie ( mentioning no names ) nicked my duffel coat at Prestwich all dayer and he personally snotted the culprit and retrieved my coat!

top bloke !!!

best

Pete m

Social source share

Dave Withers ..tip top bloke...

whats he do now?

He still sells records on Ebay from the USA. He was at Lowton last year selling records in the record room.

I use to like his DJ spots, good taste, great records!

Never liked those boxes in Wigan though, with the bar that went through all the centres of the records.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

One of the unsung heroes of the scene,his knowledge (and of his partner in crime Rod Shard)are the stuff of legends rounds these parts,plus he is a nice guy,now living in L.A i beleive

Lives in New York..........top bloke & has always shared knowledge.........recently went to a lot of trouble to find some info on an LP for me.

Russ

Social source share

Guest rigs28

so who was the girl in the documentary. has she resurfaced yet g.gif

dave

girl in the laundry is christine rigby from leigh.she never missed an all nighter in the early days and still goes to the monaco in hindley.top dancer too.
Social source share

Guest rigs28

===

wow thats great,,might interview her for a project im doing about laundrettes..

tosser.a question was asked and answered.show some respect for someone who has forgotted more about soul than you will ever know.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

tosser.a question was asked and answered.show some respect for someone who has forgotted more about soul than you will ever know.

bloody good answer.....thats what we need straight talking :D

Social source share

===

sorry only just saw this...i was only joking (forgot to add a smiley) and can see why you'd be upset

genuine apologies to the lady in question..people who know me know im not offensive in anyway

Social source share

===

sorry only just saw this...i was only joking (forgot to add a smiley) and can see why you'd be upset

genuine apologies to the lady in question..people who know me know im not offensive in anyway

Fair do's mate.

I must say that a major force in my memories when it comes to the Northern scene at that time was the gritty and beautiful reality that Northern town girls, from Wigan, Leigh, Bolton etc (and the surrounding areas) brought to the scene.

The hair-do's, the look they brought, (back end of Wigan's era and the fashions that were on display thanks to said girls), the open book kinship they had - the great things about Nighter birds at that time was they tended not to work on the same hierachy levels that blokes did, they just accepted you.

Who was the blonde Wigan lass that used to partner dance with Janice Thorpe (Leigh) at Wigan, they always danced together to the right of the stage, matching crimson leather kecks and pixie boots?

I loved watching them.

Janice was the only bird that I saw stomping at a nighter (Morecambe) whilst eight month pregnant.

Anyone any sightings lately?

Social source share

Barry's right about the northern lasses accepting you on face value. My first trip to Wigan coincided with a stage appearance of Freddie Mack, who, if I remember rightly, used to do ads for the PYE DD releases.

The music had stopped & a heaving Wigan dancefloor was listening to this geezer's 'brothers & sisters of soul' rant.

This very tall, willowy blonde next to me turned to me (then) & said in her inimitable lancs accent 'You know who this is, don't you?'. Freddie Mack? I ventured. That's right! I'm glad you know that! Are you enjoying yourself? Is this your first time up here? You're from down south, aren't you? What's your favourite sound? I couldn't believe it. I danced in her vicinity for the rest of the night, with her flashing the odd smile. Acceptance in the hall of the mountain king.

I've been thinking about her, on & off, for years.

Social source share

The laundry lass' views, as did Dave Withers', summed it all up - pure passion for a time and it's music, and a true love for the scene which was their lives at that moment.

Which is why the words and images conveyed on that doc still stick with us types.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Guest Tim aka Bob

Fair do's mate.

I must say that a major force in my memories when it comes to the Northern scene at that time was the gritty and beautiful reality that Northern town girls, from Wigan, Leigh, Bolton etc (and the surrounding areas) brought to the scene.

The hair-do's, the look they brought, (back end of Wigan's era and the fashions that were on display thanks to said girls), the open book kinship they had - the great things about Nighter birds at that time was they tended not to work on the same hierachy levels that blokes did, they just accepted you.

Who was the blonde Wigan lass that used to partner dance with Janice Thorpe (Leigh) at Wigan, they always danced together to the right of the stage, matching crimson leather kecks and pixie boots?

I loved watching them.

Janice was the only bird that I saw stomping at a nighter (Morecambe) whilst eight month pregnant.

Anyone any sightings lately?

Spot On mate!!! Such fantastic, fantastic memories of people enjoying themselves!!! :lol:

Social source share

Guest east rob

Lives in New York..........top bloke & has always shared knowledge.........recently went to a lot of trouble to find some info on an LP for me.

Russ

dave withers, top top fella, we used to travel to, & from wigan with him, a good bloke, maccadan not so good, but funny!.

i remember buying a"new" sound off daves stall on bury market. he had ten of em, a fiver each... edward hamilton-baby dont you weep. on the lovley white blue & red mary jane label.. afiver!! happy days, ohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest rigs28

Fair do's mate.

I loved watching them.

Anyone any sightings lately?still lives in leigh.had a rough time over the last few years but back on track last time i saw her.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert