Timothy Wilson Pure Genius Buddah 45's

Just had a good three hour session upstairs playing a few tunes mainly Crossover and odd ball items which really float my boat these days, played Timothy Wilson - 'Got To Find A New Love' - Buddah 19, then played it again........wow how good is this little twenty quid sleeper? simply stunning, just about as good as it gets! oh and then Buddah 72 - 'Just Another Guy (On A String)' just sublime and again another little sleeping monster for around £30.00 or less........fantastic singer who made some outstanding records on Veep, Blue Rock, the Buddah sides and Sky Disc, 'Got To Find A New Love' is certainly gonna be big in Bicknell Towers and in The Soul Shack.........perfection.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Timothy Wilson - 'Got To Find A New Love' - Buddah 19, then played it again........wow how good is this little twenty quid sleeper? simply stunning, just about as good as it gets! oh and then Buddah 72 - 'Just Another Guy (On A String)' just sublime and again another little sleeping monster for around £30.00 or less

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Plus

'Loving you' on Buddah

'It's love baby' LP track only, M&H

Social source share

Plus

'Loving you' on Buddah

'It's love baby' LP track only, M&H

'Loving You' is the one I need 'Pigtails' on the flip - Buddah 47, 'Pigails' came out twice did it not also Buddah 32 with 'Say It Again (Say I Love You) on the flip....Anyone with a spare of 'Loving You' Buddah 47 please get in touch...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

'Loving You' is the one I need 'Pigtails' on the flip - Buddah 47, 'Pigails' came out twice did it not also Buddah 32 with 'Say It Again (Say I Love You) on the flip....Anyone with a spare of 'Loving You' Buddah 47 please get in touch...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

===

yip ure right mate...so soulful too...should be on the bay ???

Social source share

Just had a good three hour session upstairs playing a few tunes mainly Crossover and odd ball items which really float my boat these days, played Timothy Wilson - 'Got To Find A New Love' - Buddah 19, then played it again........wow how good is this little twenty quid sleeper? simply stunning, just about as good as it gets! oh and then Buddah 72 - 'Just Another Guy (On A String)' just sublime and again another little sleeping monster for around £30.00 or less........fantastic singer who made some outstanding records on Veep, Blue Rock, the Buddah sides and Sky Disc, 'Got To Find A New Love' is certainly gonna be big in Bicknell Towers and in The Soul Shack.........perfection.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Definitely worth picking a copy up.

There's some stunning records out there for a few dollars.

Buddah_BDA-19a.gif

You could cap your price at £30 a record and still produce a fantastic Playlist.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Definitely worth picking a copy up.

There's some stunning records out there for a few dollars.

Buddah_BDA-19a.gif

With you on that one mate, some stunning records out there that don't break the bank and stand up there in quality with some of the big ticket items, I'm having some of the best fun ever now on Ebay, on here etc. etc. buy, sell, swap, trade it's brilliant, not DJ'ing so much it's just a joy to just fuel the personal collecting bug rather than the worry of a full dance floor....bliss.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

With you on that one mate, some stunning records out there that don't break the bank and stand up there in quality with some of the big ticket items, I'm having some of the best fun ever now on Ebay, on here etc. etc. buy, sell, swap, trade it's brilliant, not DJ'ing so much it's just a joy to just fuel the personal collecting bug rather than the worry of a full dance floor....bliss.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Too True, another Artist that I have been looking for is Cash Mc Call

Thomas_307a.gifThomas_310a_V.jpg

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

You have mail

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

To right Mark , that sort of DJing filters down to the punters and makes the whole night a pleasure.

Also on the Buddah label there are some great records by the Modulations , I can't fight your love and my fav ''I'm hopelessy in love'' . On the whole a brilliant label.

TonyMAK

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

'Are You Really Happy' on Blue Rock is another great one.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Timmy was so underated, always loved his tunes :thumbsup:

so soulful, a great combination.....his vocal and Van McCoy on production / arrangement

Van McCoy never produced or arranged any of Timothy Wilson's records - on Buddah or any other label. Think you might be mixing him up with Chris Bartley?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that he was never on Veep, either. Timmy Willis was, though...

BTW Timothy Wilson came to the UK three or four years ago, in his capacity as tenor for Lewis Lymon and the Teenagers. Ady and I saw him/them at the "Rhythm Riot!" at Camber Sands. I know Ady went backstage to see if Timothy might be up for Cleethorpes, but nothing seems to have come of it...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Van McCoy never produced or arranged any of Timothy Wilson's records - on Buddah or any other label. Think you might be mixing him up with Chris Bartley?

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that he was never on Veep, either. Timmy Willis was, though...

BTW Timothy Wilson came to the UK three or four years ago, in his capacity as tenor for Lewis Lymon and the Teenagers. Ady and I saw him/them at the "Rhythm Riot!" at Camber Sands. I know Ady went backstage to see if Timothy might be up for Cleethorpes, but nothing seems to have come of it...

Tony, unless it's a different bloke there were two releases on Veep, the really hard to find 'Hey Girl ,Do You Love Me' - Veep 1213 which I had and sold to my regret way back and 'He Will Break Your Heart' - Veep 1233. Might be a nice project for you to get your teeth into at Kent?????? best of kind of deal.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

i also agree a very underated singer,i found this "best of timothy wilson" cd on e-bore 27 tracks @ $16+postage is this a legit release???, :thumbsup:ph34r.gif:lol:

heres the link,

https://cgi.ebay.com/The-Best-of-TIMOTHY-WI...Q2em118Q2el1247

Anyone buying this CD should note that one of the tracks is starts about a minute into the song, and another jumps.

And, unfortunately, it's these sort of CDs that prevent the likes of Kent doing them properly - once the pirates have had their fun, and people who don't care what they own their music on buy one, there's seldom enough of a market for a 'legit issue'. More's the pity...

Social source share

Anyone buying this CD should note that one of the tracks is starts about a minute into the song, and another jumps.

And, unfortunately, it's these sort of CDs that prevent the likes of Kent doing them properly - once the pirates have had their fun, and people who don't care what they own their music on buy one, there's seldom enough of a market for a 'legit issue'. More's the pity...

Tell you what though Tony, Buddah could do with some top-rate multi-artist Soul comps though IMO. Sony-BMG reissued Captain Beefheart, Norman Connors, Gladys Knight and a few other things from the Buddah stable but nothing of much interest to soul fans. Lot's of modern interest in the label too plus it's been a while since some of those horrendously expensive Japanese CD's were around.......

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, as Mark pointed out, he had 2 45s on veep, before his buddah 45s.

So tell me why did you feel the need to point it out again, my friend? :D

Truth is I do have both those 45s and, if I could have been arsed to run upstairs and check through my Timothy Wilson selection before engaging my typing fingers, I wouldn't be eating a very large slice of humble pie now. Although, given that I have a temperature in three figues and the mother of all bronchial colds at the moment, I'm not sure that H.P. would taste any more or less like cardboard than anything else I've eaten in the last three days.

But I'm still right in saying that he was never produced by Van McCoy on Buddah...

Social source share

So tell me why did you feel the need to point it out again, my friend? :huh:

Truth is I do have both those 45s and, if I could have been arsed to run upstairs and check through my Timothy Wilson selection before engaging my typing fingers, I wouldn't be eating a very large slice of humble pie now. Although, given that I have a temperature in three figues and the mother of all bronchial colds at the moment, I'm not sure that H.P. would taste any more or less like cardboard than anything else I've eaten in the last three days.

But I'm still right in saying that he was never produced by Van McCoy on Buddah...

I was just saying that they came out before his buddah 45s. I hope you feel better.

Social source share

To right Mark , that sort of DJing filters down to the punters and makes the whole night a pleasure.

Also on the Buddah label there are some great records by the Modulations , I can't fight your love and my fav ''I'm hopelessy in love'' . On the whole a brilliant label.

TonyMAK

Modulations is a great track Mak.

Another on Buddah that i'm lovin at the moment is "Tell me who" - Five Stairsteps,another one that won't break the bank.

There's of course the other version of "Just another guy(on a string)" by Stage 1V.

Social source share

Godd thread Mark,have loads of his stuff which i intend to post as soon as i get back online,his sky disc stuff is simplky wonderful,good to see this marvellous talent get a bit respect!Will post some stuff up when back online at home,at momment just dipping in while at work!

BAZ A :rolleyes:

Social source share

Godd thread Mark,have loads of his stuff which i intend to post as soon as i get back online,his sky disc stuff is simplky wonderful,good to see this marvellous talent get a bit respect!Will post some stuff up when back online at home,at momment just dipping in while at work!

BAZ A :thumbup:

This is what makes Soul Source a real joy sometimes when we all start sharing the passion we have for the music, artists and records, just out of this thread alone I've managed to get a copy of 'Loving You' off Mak, also been reminded about the two superb Modulations 45's on Buddah also via Mak and we all think Timothy Wilson's output is awesome stuff, really makes collecting so much more enjoyable when you can share it with people and we also learn from each other I'm sure which can only be a good thing.............now who's gonna sell me a copy of 'Hey Girl Do You Love Me' on Veep to replace the one I sold about twenty years ago?????lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The ballad sides of the Timothy Wilson Buddah, Veep and Blue Rock 45s are all magical NYC soul with the involvement of the likes of the Poindexter Brothers and the city's top session musicians. As a younger person I found Timothy's vocal style slightly cloying, but I must say his voice has really grown on me: he certainly finds the emotion in these great songs.

This thread had me scrambling through the cellar looking for another of his Buddah singles that I couldn't get out of my head. Hours later I was perplexed that I still couldn't find a record I was absolutely sure I owned. Turns out I was thinking of Henry Lumpkin's Smokey Robinson clone If I Could Make Magic on Buddah, which is practically identical in every respect to the ballad sides of Timothy Wilson's sixties New York recordings, and another cheap goodie on the label.

Social source share

The ballad sides of the Timothy Wilson Buddah, Veep and Blue Rock 45s are all magical NYC soul with the involvement of the likes of the Poindexter Brothers and the city's top session musicians. As a younger person I found Timothy's vocal style slightly cloying, but I must say his voice has really grown on me: he certainly finds the emotion in these great songs.

This thread had me scrambling through the cellar looking for another of his Buddah singles that I couldn't get out of my head. Hours later I was perplexed that I still couldn't find a record I was absolutely sure I owned. Turns out I was thinking of Henry Lumpkin's Smokey Robinson clone If I Could Make Magic on Buddah, which is practically identical in every respect to the ballad sides of Timothy Wilson's sixties New York recordings, and another cheap goodie on the label.

no backing group on the henry lumpkin 45, though... one of the things that makes the timothy wilson 45s better

Edited by boba
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

We have had the odd problem with licensing Buddah, unfortunately, Mark. Since the catalogue was sold to Sony BMG about 10 years ago, a lot of the contractual paperwork seems to have been mislaid, particularly on what one might term 'minor' artists (minor only from a sales point, of course).

Like all major labels Sony BMG is, quite rightly, a bit cagey about doing any third party licensing on repertoire that it cannot prove, with 100% certainty, that it owns. Majors have really tightened up their act on this sort of thing in recent years, due to artists coming out of the woodwork (usually followed by their ambulance chaser lawyers) and saying things like "Where's my money, motherfu*kers". Although it's frustrating for me, Ady and all other compilers, I can see that if not licensing out a track/tracks means that lawsuits can be avoided, it's a good thing.

Unfortunately, as the majors got bigger in the 1990s and swallowed up other majors who had in turn swallowed up other majors, who had bought some of our favourite indie catalogues in the first place, the trail of paperwork to who actually owns some labels and their masters becomes more and more obscured by the passage of time.

This is particularly true of the world's largest record company, Universal, and some of the repertoire that they probably do own, but can't always prove it to their satisfaction. Take, for example, a little label like Planetary - a subsidiary of Dot, which amalgamated with Paramount Records in the late 60s before the whole lot was sold off to ABC-Dunhill Records in the 70s and ABC-Dunhill was, in turn, sold off to MCA (previously US Decca) Records in the late 70s.

MCA eventually became Universal, of course - but in the meantime any Planetary paperwork has gone through the contracts department of four different record companies, in four different locations. over a 15 year time span. That's a lot of 'house moving', and as with any 'relocation' process things often do get lost or permanently mislaid.

Buddah also went through several changes of ownership, before being acquired by what was then just BMG. Now, it's easy for what's now Sony BMG to prove that they own, say, Gladys Knight and the Pips - they were on the label for a lot of years and had a lot of hits. It might not be so easy for them to dig out a contract on, for example, a Henry Lumpkin or a Toni Lamarr and say 'yes, these are definitely ours'. I'm not saying that Toni or Henry are a problem to license, and realy I don't know if they are or not. I'm just trying to give an illustration of the reasons why repertoire from certain labels has not yet made it to CD legitimately...

Social source share

Guest veep1296

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Timothy Wilson in white suit with writer of BDA 72 " My Queen of Hearts" Richard Poindexter and yours truly with said 45. NJ 2004.

A very special moment!

I had just asked him about the Veep 45s to which he looked puzzled and then prompted by the other guy said " ah yes United Artists "

Regards

David

post-5119-1209070932_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert