Buying Records From Europe

• Replies 27
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Awake 502

Hi any body know if you have to pay any import duty or VAt on a record imported from Scandanavia if its insured

Where in Scandanavia ? Norway is not in the EEC.

Social source share

Hi any body know if you have to pay any import duty or VAt on a record imported from Scandanavia if its insured

VAT is a UK tax. Import Duty, Ted, is only due if the goods are over a certain value - although I don't know the precise figure (your post office could tell you) I believe it is around the low three figure bracket. :thumbsup:

Social source share

VAT is a UK tax. Import Duty, Ted, is only due if the goods are over a certain value - although I don't know the precise figure (your post office could tell you) I believe it is around the low three figure bracket. :thumbsup:

Import duty is only on items from outside the EU.

And it kicks in at about £18 (circa $30 USD).

They only tend to collect on higher amounts (around £100 declared ) because of the Post Offices extortionate handling fees (£8 charge for you to pay them the money).

Social source share

so if i purchase a record £500+ from Sweden and he insures it and the value is on the packet i wont have to pay any thing.I know you have to from the States as i found to my cost thats why we all hope and pray they arrive safe uninsured

They won't know the value as they use what's declared on the Customs form (it won't have one as it's from the EU).

Social source share

Import duty is only on items from outside the EU.

And it kicks in at about £18 (circa $30 USD).

They only tend to collect on higher amounts (around £100 declared ) because of the Post Offices extortionate handling fees (£8 charge for you to pay them the money).

Pikey, I've been done on 'double' figures so be careful everybody.

Social source share

There is no declaration form - theres nothing on the package that says how much it's worth. You won't have any problems Ted.

Pete, I felt it necessary to insure a high value record coming from Belgium and the value HAD to be declared on the paperwork stuck to the package. As Belgium is in the EU there was no Customs charge true BUT the problem was people seeing the stated value of the contents and thinking, oo, think I'll nick that. Bar Stewards. So, there's still a risk so be careful people.

Social source share

Never got my head around why you should have to state the contents and value "An extremely rare record worth £500" and not expect it to get nicked, the states/Canada is notorious for sticky fingered posties in my experience.

wink.gif

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Never got my head around why you should have to state the contents and value "An extremely rare record worth £500" and not expect it to get nicked, the states/Canada is notorious for sticky fingered posties in my experience.

wink.gif

Pathetic isn't it. Just inviting trouble / theft / hassle / claims / frustration / etc / etc.

My last frustrating experience was with the Belgian Postal Service who INSISTED the value of the insurance be quoted on the package inviting all and sundry to steal it. Even though they agreed with the logic that it would invite theft they told us (me and the seller) that it was Belgian law??? wanker.gif ers

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

so if i purchase a record £500+ from Sweden and he insures it and the value is on the packet i wont have to pay any thing.I know you have to from the States as i found to my cost thats why we all hope and pray they arrive safe uninsured

If you are that worried just go over and get it, I have just booked a return flight to Stockholm for less than £20 inclusive. biggrin.gif

Social source share

you never have to pay any taxes/etc. when buying within the EU. no matter what value is stated for insured post, be it 5 quid or 500.

you may have noticed by now that the US of A are outside of Europe hence they are not a member of the EU wink.gif .

Social source share

you never have to pay any taxes/etc. when buying within the EU. no matter what value is stated for insured post, be it 5 quid or 500.

Correct BUT if you insure the record then the value of that insurance cover has to be included on the sticker on the package. At least, like I said earlier, that's the case with Belgium. At least, in my recent experience. Which means the package, c/w sticker showing value of insurance, could invite theft. Belgian Postal Law has to change to overcome this ridiculous leaning toward the thief.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

You are talking about Belgians...so come on...they can't decide between being french speaking Waloons, Dutch Speaking Flemish or German for fucks sake, plus their capital city is named after a vegetable....lol.

I think the moral is don't buy from Belgium, all my stuff comes as value $5 as the Australian Customs & ATO (tax office) like their Belgian cousins like to make a quick buck & I don't like to pay tax, especially on money that I'ver already been taxed on.

KTF

Baz

Correct BUT if you insure the record then the value of that insurance cover has to be included on the sticker on the package. At least, like I said earlier, that's the case with Belgium. At least, in my recent experience. Which means the package, c/w sticker showing value of insurance, could invite theft. Belgian Postal Law has to change to overcome this ridiculous leaning toward the thief.
Social source share

You are talking about Belgians...so come on...they can't decide between being french speaking Waloons, Dutch Speaking Flemish or German for fucks sake, plus their capital city is named after a vegetable....lol.

I think the moral is don't buy from Belgium, all my stuff comes as value $5 as the Australian Customs & ATO (tax office) like their Belgian cousins like to make a quick buck & I don't like to pay tax, especially on money that I'ver already been taxed on.

KTF

Baz

Yeah, when records arrive from USA they come valued at $30 max but it's different with the Belgian postal system.

I buy from Belgium because thay have a lot to offer by way of American Imports. I have to pay more 'cos they're pretty clued up but the hassle is very often, but not always because of the odd shark, worth the effort. Plus, mostly they're nice people.

Social source share

Hi Ted!

Looks like all your questions have already been answered. As stated before: no import duty or VAT on records sent from for example Sweden to the UK since we are both part of the EU, though another Scandinavian country -Norway - isn´t part of the union, so that it is a different matter.

Records should be sent registered/insured if money is the key issue. If the parcel gets lost you´ll get your money back.

If the actual record is your main concern it may actually be safer NOT to send it insured. I´ve had reports from the UK saying that (and it´s quite obvious isn´t it) that people are more tempted to steal packets/letters that are insured, than packets that aren´t, since they are not thought of as very valuable...

Best,

Melismo, Sweden

Social source share

Hi Ted!

Looks like all your questions have already been answered. As stated before: no import duty or VAT on records sent from for example Sweden to the UK since we are both part of the EU, though another Scandinavian country -Norway - isn´t part of the union, so that it is a different matter.

Records should be sent registered/insured if money is the key issue. If the parcel gets lost you´ll get your money back.

If the actual record is your main concern it may actually be safer NOT to send it insured. I´ve had reports from the UK saying that (and it´s quite obvious isn´t it) that people are more tempted to steal packets/letters that are insured, than packets that aren´t, since they are not thought of as very valuable...

Best,

Melismo, Sweden

Thanks Melismo

think i will risk the insurance

best ted

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!