Curious As To Why Some Dj,s Only Support A Venue Prior To Doing Their Spot?

• Replies 69
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

This is a question i,ve been asking myself for some time now,and just feel the need to ask you what your thoughts are on this? g.gif

JB xxxKTFxxx

I LIKE TO GO TO GET A FEEL OF THE PLACE GIVES ME A IDEA ON WHAT THE PUNTERS LIKE BUT I ONLY PLAY LOCAL PLACES SO I NORMALY THERE ANYWAY BUT IF IM DJING A WAY OF I TRY TO GO A FEW TIMES
Social source share

I LIKE TO GO TO GET A FEEL OF THE PLACE GIVES ME A IDEA ON WHAT THE PUNTERS LIKE BUT I ONLY PLAY LOCAL PLACES SO I NORMALY THERE ANYWAY BUT IF IM DJING A WAY OF I TRY TO GO A FEW TIMES

Well that seems fair enough to me :lol: its just that some times when a DJ is asked to do a spot,its the only time you ever see em there unsure.gif and that to me is just not fair! :lol: And it annoys me when they turn up just before their spot! :lol: And f**k off just after they,ve finished! :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Well that seems fair enough to me :lol: its just that some times when a DJ is asked to do a spot,its the only time you ever see em there unsure.gif and that to me is just not fair!

JB xxxKTFxxx

Don't really understand where you are coming from on this, are you saying that only people who attend a venue should DJ there :lol:

As Tabs said, many DJs do sets at different places nearly every week and travel all over the country DJing so how could they possibly attend all the venues as a regular.

QoFxx

Social source share

could be that the venues too far away,a ball ache to get to.

They prefer somewhere else when not on the clock.

Didn't like the venue when they dj'd there ,but are too polite to say?

Maybe they've got a life outside of the scene.whoops.

Let's not confine this to dj's,what about people who only go to a venue to hear a certain dj?.Pathetic...can't they go to any place regardless?. wicked.gif

Social source share

surely a DJ is booked because of his/her collection and not because they are a punter at said venue.

I often go to a do just to see a DJ thats booked... never to venture back again

Social source share

Exactly.

Very rare I look at which Djs are booked at the venue some will be "residents" and others will be guests

As you know I went to Barrow Hill the other month didnt even ask who was djing

Just had a run out to a different venue that we'd not visited before

A couple we regularly meet up with usually attend and we thought we'd call up their neck of the woods they ever went that night tho ! ohmy.gif

Mand

Social source share

I do tend to go to a night if djs are on that I like. Although it may be that the reason I go anyway is because the residents are decent. For example, Sam is resident at Broughton Wings and I go there from time to time because it's easy to get to, the in-laws live nearby etc but also because I like Sam and the other djs and they have some decent guests on( and the beer is v.cheap...). Some djs like Sam are working every weekend so they probably hardly every go anywhere as a punter. I've got an half decent record collection but I don't expect (or want) to be asked to dj at a venue just because I go there regularly. Everybody wants to be a dj or northern soul celebrity these days...even if they've only got a couple of dozen records that cost a tenner each tongue.gif

Social source share

Don't really understand where you are coming from on this, are you saying that only people who attend a venue should DJ there unsure.gif

QoFxx

No i,m not saying that at all :lol: what i am saying is, they get booked to DJ say once or twice a year, but that is the only time you will see them at that venue :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

No i,m not saying that at all :lol: what i am saying is, they get booked to DJ say once or twice a year, but that is the only time you will see them at that venue unsure.gif

JB xxxKTFxxx

..probably cos if they are good DJs they will be DJing elsewhere the rest of the time and couldn't possibly attend all the venues they DJ at throghout the year on a regular basis.

QoFxx

Social source share

could be that the venues too far away,a ball ache to get to.

They prefer somewhere else when not on the clock.

Didn't like the venue when they dj'd there ,but are too polite to say?

Maybe they've got a life outside of the scene.whoops.

Let's not confine this to dj's,what about people who only go to a venue to hear a certain dj?.Pathetic...can't they go to any place regardless?. :lol:

Could very well be anyone of the above! Oh and by the way, i too have got a life outside of the scene :lol::(

And as for people that go to a venue to hear a certain DJ g.gif why is it pathetic? huh.gif At least you know what ya gonna hear, is what you wanna hear rolleyes.gif but i also go to places far & wide, where a certain DJ i rate is not on :lol: and still have a great time :lol:

I,ll be honest most of the DJ,s i do rate are local to the West Mids, but its not just about going to a certain venue to hear them. Its all about supporting your local venues aswell :lol: And ok not everyone,s, cos not all local venues are my cuppa T :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

No i,m not saying that at all :lol: what i am saying is, they get booked to DJ say once or twice a year, but that is the only time you will see them at that venue :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

fully understand your question jellybean.......and agree with you! this has gone on for many a year and is crap. However not all dj's are like this.Go to burnley or any of the other top oop north nights and they're there all night,Karl heard,the legend,stu bennett just to name a few that spend more time on the dance floor than behind the decks.Action speak louder than words.Seen Adey Crosdale out at many a venue that he has no involvement in ...just enjoying himself,thats how it should be.What is worse is the promoter who only ever attends his promotion.Seen Arthur Fenn strutting his stuff in other venues he's not djing at.The worse by far though is the dj who looks like he's been forced to dj at an event standing behind the decks looking bored to f**k.If you don't wanna be there DON'T GO all the best tezza

Social source share

fully understand your question jellybean.......and agree with you!.The worse by far though is the dj who looks like he's been forced to dj at an event standing behind the decks looking bored to f**k.If you don't wanna be there DON'T GO all the best tezza

Thanks Tezza :lol: glad to see someone understands my question tongue.gifbiggrin.gif and i have to agree with you! About the DJ that looks like his been forced to stand behind the decks, and looks bored to f**k. :lol: Wheres the passion gone? :lol: Or is it all about getting the money,doing the job then f**k**g off? :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Thanks Tezza :lol: glad to see someone understands my question tongue.gifbiggrin.gif and i have to agree with you! About the DJ that looks like his been forced to stand behind the decks, and looks bored to f**k. :lol: Wheres the passion gone? :lol: Or is it all about getting the money,doing the job then f**k**g off? :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

I agree with you about this. Certain DJ's act like they are royalty and would not lower themselves to be a normal paying punter, it would hurt there pride!!

Certain so called top DJ's only appear to do there spot and then go. Barging to and fro across the dance floor with there record boxes and with there coats on.

No wonder the same records get played from each DJ who do a spot at the same venue!

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i don't think it's a question of dj's supporting a venue prior to their spot , i think some of them get the spot BECAUSE they have turned up to the club and sometimes it's bloody obvious .

also a lot of promoters will only book a dj who has been to their club therefore ensuring the dj knows the vibe etc

Social source share

This is a question i,ve been asking myself for some time now,and just feel the need to ask you what your thoughts are on this? :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Simple in my case. I'm either DJing somewhere else, or attending somewhere else. Very few weekends go by without me being out somewhere.

Social source share

Could very well be anyone of the above! Oh and by the way, i too have got a life outside of the scene ohmy.gif:D

And as for people that go to a venue to hear a certain DJ :P why is it pathetic? huh.gif At least you know what ya gonna hear, is what you wanna hear :lol: but i also go to places far & wide, where a certain DJ i rate is not on :lol: and still have a great time :lol:

I,ll be honest most of the DJ,s i do rate are local to the West Mids, but its not just about going to a certain venue to hear them. Its all about supporting your local venues aswell :lol: And ok not everyone,s, cos not all local venues are my cuppa T :D

JB xxxKTFxxx

Jellybean,the "pathetic" bit was a joke.!! Was trying to say that a dj who only turns up once ,may well bring in 20 more punters than normal.

Not saying you haven't got a life,hope you don't think i was,but some peeps lives are complicated, including dj's i guess (imho).

Do agree with the feeling about dj's who turn up just before they are due on,not good form,and would hopefully prevent repeats if they were early.

KEV :lol:

Social source share

Jellybean,the "pathetic" bit was a joke.!! Was trying to say that a dj who only turns up once ,may well bring in 20 more punters than normal.

Not saying you haven't got a life,hope you don't think i was,but some peeps lives are complicated, including dj's i guess (imho).

Do agree with the feeling about dj's who turn up just before they are due on,not good form,and would hopefully prevent repeats if they were early.

KEV :lol:

Oh sorry Kev :D i see what you mean know :lol::lol: trouble with me is i read things the wrong way sometimes yes.gif well most of the times :lol:laugh.gif

JB xxxKTFxxx :lol:

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Certain so called top DJ's only appear to do there spot and then go. Barging to and fro across the dance floor with there record boxes and with there coats on.

No wonder the same records get played from each DJ who do a spot at the same venue!

I'm sure it annoys the crap out of promotors too when Dj's take the booking and then do this.

I see it from both sides. I'd love lots of Djs' who are great friends to support our venue more but I totally understand that its impossible. I've got loads of fav venues I'd love to support each time they're on and I physically can't. Many friday's I'm driving around all night with flyers and trying to pop in to upto 3 or 4 venues a night but its impossible.

I know DJs who'd love to support their local gigs more but because of the number of bookings they have it's impossible. Same for local promoters, wanting to support mates gigs or gigs that they love going to but promotion of their own night has to come into it.

If you start only booking Dj's because they're regular and going down the 'spots for mates' route well, nah - not for me!. I'd just be thinking of all those great boxes of tuneage I'd be missing out on hearing at our venue.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Very rare I look at which Djs are booked at the venue some will be "residents" and others will be guests

As you know I went to Barrow Hill the other month didnt even ask who was djing

Just had a run out to a different venue that we'd not visited before

A couple we regularly meet up with usually attend and we thought we'd call up their neck of the woods they ever went that night tho ! :thumbup:

Mand

Hope you enjoyed it, Mandy? :hypo: We had a great time and we`d love to see you there again....

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

surely a DJ is booked because of his/her collection and not because they are a punter at said venue.

I often go to a do just to see a DJ thats booked... never to venture back again

Think JB is talking about normal people :hypo:

await my punishment later........ :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I think most dj's have no integity.....NOT ALL,but a fair few of em,look at the lot djing at a certain weekender in the northampton area.Even though this promoter has nowt to do with this scene,even though he mis-treated one of the nicest and best collector/djs..CLIFF STEELE (wrongcrowd).Even though he sold tickets on the back of DEON JACKSON appearing last year,again even though promoters from another big weekender knew the year before that this artist could not and would not be able to come to our shores at all because of family matters.The same guy who ran a night with the SNAKE DAVIS BAND which I went too,the attendance was dire. half way through the night teenagers from another part of the club were allowed in half price.When I went to him and complained his answer was ...tough mate. I then left and a little later the teenagers started a big fight.Even though this is the type of person you are dealing with these djs fall over themselves to dj,they seem to care not about such matters as long as they're behind those decks giving it the big un. One or two of them I call friends.....well I'm ashamed of ya.as for the others,well just about sums up parts of this scene......thankfully not the part I have anything or want anything to do with. I'LL attend venues where the dj's,promoters do have some INTEGRITY

ALL THE BEST tezzie

Social source share

I think most dj's have no integity.....NOT ALL,but a fair few of em,look at the lot djing at a certain weekender in the northampton area.Even though this promoter has nowt to do with this scene,even though he mis-treated one of the nicest and best collector/djs..CLIFF STEELE (wrongcrowd).Even though he sold tickets on the back of DEON JACKSON appearing last year,again even though promoters from another big weekender knew the year before that this artist could not and would not be able to come to our shores at all because of family matters.The same guy who ran a night with the SNAKE DAVIS BAND which I went too,the attendance was dire. half way through the night teenagers from another part of the club were allowed in half price.When I went to him and complained his answer was ...tough mate. I then left and a little later the teenagers started a big fight.Even though this is the type of person you are dealing with these djs fall over themselves to dj,they seem to care not about such matters as long as they're behind those decks giving it the big un. One or two of them I call friends.....well I'm ashamed of ya.as for the others,well just about sums up parts of this scene......thankfully not the part I have anything or want anything to do with. I'LL attend venues where the dj's,promoters do have some INTEGRITY

ALL THE BEST tezzie

===

a bit unfair on the djs who are djing there terry

weekenders do offer up and coming djs to have a bash..a real good opportunity to get some experience and enhance their dj'ing careers..whereas normally they wouldnt get a look in...

wont be attending myself as i dont do weekenders but I'm sure the guys attending will have a great time whether they're dj'ing or not.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

===

a bit unfair on the djs who are djing there terry

weekenders do offer up and coming djs to have a bash..a real good opportunity to get some experience and enhance their dj'ing careers..whereas normally they wouldnt get a look in...

wont be attending myself as i dont do weekenders but I'm sure the guys attending will have a great time whether they're dj'ing or not.

not unfair at all....time after time this guy has shown that all he cares about absolutely is the MONEY and only the MONEY he has behaved in an appauling way time after time.....and guess what still they want to dj for im. p.m wrongcrowd aka cliff steele he'll put you right...all the best tez

Social source share

Well that seems fair enough to me :D its just that some times when a DJ is asked to do a spot,its the only time you ever see em there :D and that to me is just not fair! :lol: And it annoys me when they turn up just before their spot! :D And f**k off just after they,ve finished! :lol:

JB xxxKTFxxx

i do agree with you on this point im always at a venue ready for my spot at 8.30 weather im on at 8.30 or ten oclock but as i said i only dj localy so i soppose its ok for me but i always stay stay till the end
Social source share

not unfair at all....time after time this guy has shown that all he cares about absolutely is the MONEY and only the MONEY he has behaved in an appauling way time after time.....and guess what still they want to dj for im. p.m wrongcrowd aka cliff steele he'll put you right...all the best tez

===

i know what ure saying terry and if i remember rightly it was about not paying the djs - but hes not the only one there is he? (maybe there was another reason- if so i apolgise)

point i was on about is you cant blame would be djs having a go at an event to get some exposure if its their only chance to do so.

but do see all points here though.

Edited by wiganer1
Social source share

There are only a certain no of nights a DJ can appear at

there are only a certain no of venues a DJ can appear at

there are a lot of good DJs out there and not all get booked every week

some DJs are in demand more than others,

so not all DJs can always come to a venue more than when he is asked to appear

only if it is local to him.

we have at Sweetsoul

booked Dave Rimmer (dont expect to see him at my venue more than on the night as he lives a long way away)But will see him at places like the 100 club or Cleethorpes weekender when we meet up,

Because I booked him to appear on his reputation,and because he is a good Charismatic DJ.

The same applies to Soul Sam,Nige Brown,Sam Evans,Chris Forrest,Tats,Rob Smith,

but some of them have popped in and said hello.

as a promoter and DJ will have other local DJs who are as good as Dave to DJ, but like to give

our audience a choice of whether they want to come and someone different to see.

and differing across the board music

same applies at Hornecastle we like something a bit Different,

so we book accordingly.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

===

i know what ure saying terry and if i remember rightly it was about not paying the djs - but hes not the only one there is he? (maybe there was another reason- if so i apolgise)

point i was on about is you cant blame would be djs having a go at an event to get some exposure if its their only chance to do so.

but do see all points here though.

most of the djs here know only to well who and what this fella is......still it matters not to them. As for exposure most of em need none at all

tezza

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

there are too many fellas ......who think they're dj's.........alas they should think again :unsure:

Social source share

I don;t need exposure Terry, infact those who you should know will tell you Ive cancelled 90% of my bookings for this year and beyond, I'll attempt to get in before you do "thank fukk for that?"

I;m happy to laugh at your wind ups via this forum however by default you've made some rather personal snides that need addressing, I refuse hang my dirty washing out in public, therefore you have a pm from and old friend.

PD.

Social source share

Guest swoz

SEEMS TO ME J.B YOU MISSED OUT THE MOST IMPORTENT THING IN THIS DEBATE, YOU HAVE LEFT OUT THE D.Js WHO DO SUPPORT VENUES BUT DON'T GET A LOOK IN , DUE TO THE FACT THEY ARE NOT PART OF "THE CLICK" SORRY BABE BUT THIS HAS REALLY GOT MY BACK UP. THERE ARE DJs OUT THERE WHO HAVE GOT THE RECORDS BUT NO MATTER WHAT VENUE THEY SUPPORT,THE SAD PART IS THAT SO CALLED "PROMOTERS "DON'T GIVE THEM A LOOK IN..

Social source share

SEEMS TO ME J.B YOU MISSED OUT THE MOST IMPORTENT THING IN THIS DEBATE, YOU HAVE LEFT OUT THE D.Js WHO DO SUPPORT VENUES BUT DON'T GET A LOOK IN , DUE TO THE FACT THEY ARE NOT PART OF "THE CLICK" SORRY BABE BUT THIS HAS REALLY GOT MY BACK UP. THERE ARE DJs OUT THERE WHO HAVE GOT THE RECORDS BUT NO MATTER WHAT VENUE THEY SUPPORT,THE SAD PART IS THAT SO CALLED "PROMOTERS "DON'T GIVE THEM A LOOK IN..

YES SWOZ IS RIGHT !!!! :unsure::lol::D

Social source share

Guest kerby

YES SWOZZY BUT THAT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT THREAD :wacko:

MART( KERBY )

Edited by martx
Social source share

======

its a sad part of todays scene where there a quality guys & girls who dont get a look in when they have fabulous collections of vynil and have nowhere to air them.

been said before but its a big circle isnt it. - too many djs and not enough venues to go round..

just have to be patient and wait your turn - for some that big time will never come

but must also its not the end of the world either - learned that lesson a long time ago..

Social source share

What dj's and what promoters Edward?

s_wooden-spoon.jpg

Social source share

Good point Swoz :lol: but that is another sad fact of this scene, and the beginings of another thread! :unsure:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

Guest kerby

What dj's and what promoters Edward?

s_wooden-spoon.jpg

IS THAT TO STIR THE CAN OF WORM,S PETE not_i.gif

MART

Edited by martx
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I don;t need exposure Terry, infact those who you should know will tell you Ive cancelled 90% of my bookings for this year and beyond, I'll attempt to get in before you do "thank fukk for that?"

I;m happy to laugh at your wind ups via this forum however by default you've made some rather personal snides that need addressing, I refuse hang my dirty washing out in public, therefore you have a pm from and old friend.

PD.

this is not a wind up ......you know this guys history the rest is your choice.....this guy is bad news for this scene and has behaved in a very poor way to a lot of folk full stop

all the best TR

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

======

its a sad part of todays scene where there a quality guys & girls who dont get a look in when they have fabulous collections of vynil and have nowhere to air them.

been said before but its a big circle isnt it. - too many djs and not enough venues to go round..

just have to be patient and wait your turn - for some that big time will never come

but must also its not the end of the world either - learned that lesson a long time ago..

Why do you feel that because someone has a fabulous collection they want to be dj's.Can a person not collect for the love of the music.One of the scenes problems today is too many fellas djing with only a handful of tunes bought just for this purpose.This is another reason why a lot of venues keep starting ....they all want to be dj's. Iknow a lot of fellas with fabulous collections who refuse to dj at all.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

PD.

as far as your comment ....thank fk for that...do I not support your upfront venue,even on a bank holiday and stay till the end even when everyone else has gone home :unsure:

Social source share

Guest swoz

PETE S .........KNEW IT WAS YOU THAT NICKED MY SPOON...WAS GONNA SELL IT TO MARTX AS A DEMO :unsure::lol::D:lol: ----note the teeth??????????

SWOZ :D

Social source share

Why do you feel that because someone has a fabulous collection they want to be dj's.Can a person not collect for the love of the music.One of the scenes problems today is too many fellas djing with only a handful of tunes bought just for this purpose.This is another reason why a lot of venues keep starting ....they all want to be dj's. Iknow a lot of fellas with fabulous collections who refuse to dj at all.

====

hi terry

i know what ure saying.my own reasons are as follows:

im lucky ive got a fab collection and do get a fair few gigs at different venues plus i run my own do as im continually buying stuff 24/7 and get excited over new sounds ,whether they are brand new or forgotten oldies that ive never heard and WANT to share my tastes with everyone else. thats why i love djing plus theres no GREATER feeling than spinning your discs to a full floor.

my problem i became obsessive a few years ago and was really frustrated at not getting anywhere and it was taking over , it took a harsh lesson at a weekender (the same one as this discussion as it happens) to realise that djing on the northern scene isnt the B and End all and learn to accept what is is!

there is a danger you can take all of this FAR too seriously when you should be chilling and enjoying the music....

im happy with my lot now and have a great venue in nuneaton with a 2nd to come where we're looking to break some more sounds and offering an alternative to oldies....i try and give newer djs a chance as well to spin some sounds in the big room as one day ...the soul sams and brian raes of this world wont be spinning forever and needs new blood to take over...

soulful regards

mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert