Curtis Anderson

I know this has been answered before, but I was always told that only a few (10 or so) copies existed of this record, yet two have appeared for sale on Ebay, over the last couple of months by the same seller....

Is this doggy or have a boxful been unearthed ? :shades:

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

I know this has been answered before, but I was always told that only a few (10 or so) copies existed of this record, yet two have appeared for sale on Ebay, over the last couple of months by the same seller....

Is this doggy or have a boxful been unearthed ?  :shades:

link

Who is the seller?? This may help with any answers.

Social source share

link

I noticed this as well. Checked out his feed back & he sold one in Feb. for $1,035-00, then one in Jan. for $1,420-00, then one this weekend. Dont think there is anything wrong with them, just that he has a few copies. A box full? Dont think he'll let on, will he.

Social source share

I noticed this as well. Checked out his feed back & he sold one in Feb. for $1,035-00, then one in Jan. for $1,420-00, then one this weekend. Dont think there is anything wrong with them, just that he has a few copies. A box full? Dont think he'll let on, will he.

link

The copy that sold this weekend making $877, so perhaps people are thinking he has a few.

Social source share

10 copies eh? :shades: The bizarre thing is that this record actually sold for less a number of times when it was still relatively rare. Now that there has been a load of them on ebay (and elsewhere) they sell for more, or at least some copies did. If there was any sanity in the world the price should plummet, not go up when something turns up!

Social source share

link

Thing is, he never puts a reserve on them, makes it seem that he is not sure of what he is selling.

Never even stats that it is a "big modern sound" - I dunno, something just don't seem right to me here !

Social source share

Thing is, he never puts a reserve on them, makes it seem that he is not sure of what he is selling.

Never even stats that it is a "big modern sound" - I dunno, something just don't seem right to me here !

link

Yoiu don't have to use all the sales talk and over sell, including reserves, good hard to find records will sell themselves :shades:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

link

I'd noticed that too. Still out of my price range at the moment too :lol:

Another one I've seen crop up recently is Gene Anderson on Nu-Tone. I picked a Mint one up for $215.

I also know someone on this forum has done the same for the same sort of figure :huh:

Anybody know anything?? :huh:

Ta very muchly

Jamie :shades:

Social source share

link

Ah, but just how "hard to find" is it now ? :shades:

Social source share

MOST things are not too hard to pick up nowadays, if you are willing to pay. Some things don't turn up at all it seems, but most stuff is available to buy, if not tomorrow then in the next few months. In my time (albeit relatively short, but still) records have never been as easy to get as they are today. It is the US that has been opened up by the internet, simple as that. Anyone with money can get a bunch of records together that will stand up well to many name DJ's spots (though certainly not all!) in a few months time. Like it or not, that's the way it is today.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Jamie

I'd noticed that too. Still out of my price range at the moment too  :D

Another one I've seen crop up recently is Gene Anderson on Nu-Tone. I picked a Mint one up for $215.

I also know someone on this forum has done the same for the same sort of figure  :rolleyes:

Anybody know anything??  :lol:

Ta very muchly

Jamie  :lol:

link

Manship has got one set-sale @ £300.

That could possibly be an indicator that some have turned up, or just a co-incidence blush.gif

Social source share

MOST things are not too hard to pick up nowadays, if you are willing to pay. Some things don't turn up at all it seems, but most stuff is available to buy, if not tomorrow then in the next few months. In my time (albeit relatively short, but still) records have never been as easy to get as they are today. It is the US that has been opened up by the internet, simple as that. Anyone with money can get a bunch of records together that will stand up well to many name DJ's spots (though certainly not all!) in a few months time. Like it or not, that's the way it is today.

link

I take it by money you mean lots of it???? Why??? Plenty of good cheap soul out there! Known, unknown and not played anywhere :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I have actually seen a lot more than ten of the Curtis Anderson's for sale in boxes and on the net recently still a great record but it does make you wonder how many have been found

Social source share

Manship has got one set-sale @ £300.

That could possibly be an indicator that some have turned up, or just a co-incidence  :rolleyes:

link

Where ?

PS PM me with your address for the chq.

Social source share

I have actually seen a lot more than ten of the Curtis Anderson's for sale in boxes and on the net recently still a great record but it does make you wonder how many have been found

link

The guy who first turned it up (can't remember his name, but he's well known) had at least 6 copies.

Must have been at least another ten in the last year.

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Where ?

PS  PM me with your address for the chq.

link

Type 'Anderson' in the search at the top of the home page. For some reason it doesn't work if you type 'Gene' :rolleyes:

Keep hold of the cash, I'll get it off you next time I see you blush.gif

Social source share

Type 'Anderson' in the search at the top of the home page. For some reason it doesn't work if you type 'Gene' :rolleyes:

Keep hold of the cash, I'll get it off you next time I see you :D

link

blush.gif:lol::lol:

I should read your post properly Jamie.

Guess what I was looking for.

What a tw*t I am sometimes.

Steve wanker.gif

Social source share

Guest Jamie

:rolleyes:   blush.gif   :lol:

I should read your post properly Jamie.

Guess what I was looking for.

What a tw*t I am sometimes.

Steve  wanker.gif

link

You're just not in toones with what is going on around you, are you Stevie?

Social source share

I take it by money you mean lots of it????  Why???  Plenty of good cheap soul out there!  Known, unknown and not played anywhere  wink.gif

link

Yes, lots and lots of money is what I meant. I guess we all have SOME money, a few pennies if nothing else. :rolleyes: You are right, plenty of good cheap stuff still available and I buy lots of cheapies all the time but at the same time many of the best records are unfortunately quite expensive.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Yes, lots and lots of money is what I meant. I guess we all have SOME money, a few pennies if nothing else. :rolleyes:   You are right, plenty of good cheap stuff still available and I buy lots of cheapies all the time but at the same time many of the best records are unfortunately quite expensive.

link

This is the problem with the scene demanding the same established rareties (or not) over and over again. Loads of people have got them, there is limited variance between peoples' sets, and it can all get a bit repetitive. Nothing better than a blinding £5 record that you've never heard before is there? wink.gif

Social source share

This is the problem with the scene demanding the same established rareties (or not) over and over again.  Loads of people have got them, there is limited variance between peoples' sets, and it can all get a bit repetitive.  Nothing better than a blinding £5 record that you've never heard before is there? :rolleyes:

link

I totally agree. The problem is that a good record is a good record (at least that is how I try to look at it) and sometimes very good records happen to be expensive ones. I buy all sorts of records and as much (and more) than I can afford, be they overlooked £5 cheapies, obscure rarities or well known classics. Variety is essential and I am all for it, but I also collect all sorts of records I consider good, be they old, 'new', cheap or expensive.

Social source share

I totally agree. The problem is that a good record is a good record (at least that is how I try to look at it) and sometimes very good records happen to be expensive ones. I buy all sorts of records and as much (and more) than I can afford, be they overlooked £5 cheapies, obscure rarities or well known classics. Variety is essential and I am all for it, but I also collect all sorts of records I consider good, be they old, 'new', cheap or expensive.

link

All this talk about about great cheapies right under our noses makes me think of this record I picked up last week for $2.00 US thinking it would be rubbish. Its only ever been a few pounds for sale and in Manships guide is the lowest value disc by this group... but its completely fabulous up tempo golden era soul...AND they're a well known group...

Its the Persians on GWP " I Cant Take It Anymore "

Can't believe this has never been massive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know this ?

whistling.gif

Social source share

All this talk about about great cheapies right under our noses makes me think of this record I picked up last week for $2.00 US thinking it would be rubbish. Its only ever been a few pounds for sale and in Manships guide is the lowest value disc by this group... but its completely fabulous up tempo golden era soul...AND they're a well known group...

Its the Persians on GWP " I Cant Take It Anymore "

Can't believe this has never been massive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know this ?

whistling.gif

link

got it it's a very good record (mine's a yellow label with red writing), not that well-known?

no idea on price though? anyone?

Social source share

Is this doggy or have a boxful been unearthed ?  thumbsup.gif

link

Believe the story to be:

There were originally 25 copies of this imported or brought back from a US trip (possibly by Mike Charlton or Rod Dearlove - I cannot remember with "clarity" now). Those were "snapped up" and disappeared into collections in no time. Since then for many years no other copies turned up, and that the only ones coming up for sale were the 25 already in the UK (i.e. existing owners selling / reselling). There were clearly more than 25 pressed up originally, so can only assume a few more have been "found".

Probably everyone knows this, but this is of course the same guy that did the "love it or hate it" "How can I tell her" a few years before -a one time "Clifton Hall" spin.... :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Believe the story to be:

Probably everyone knows this, but this is of course the same guy that did the "love it or hate it" "How can I tell her" a few years before -a one time "Clifton Hall" spin.... :D

link

I thought 'Curtis - How can I tell her' was Echo Curtis...

So I for one didnt know it was thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Probably everyone knows this, but this is of course the same guy that did the "love it or hate it" "How can I tell her" a few years before -a one time "Clifton Hall" spin.... thumbsup.gif

Absolutley love it. :D

Social source share

.....or perhaps people are just recognizing it as utter shite and now see that it's not "soul" by any stretch of the word thumbsup.gif

link

We disagree yet again Mark :D

Social source share

So we do :D

Look who's winning on the post front :dance:

link

You've been a busy boy. :D

You do realise that one of us must be totally wrong about certain records don't you. I think its you. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Believe the story to be:

There were originally 25 copies of this imported or brought back from a US trip (possibly by Mike Charlton or Rod Dearlove - I cannot remember with "clarity" now). Those were "snapped up" and disappeared into collections in no time. Since then for many years no other copies turned up, and that the only ones coming up for sale were the 25 already in the UK (i.e. existing owners selling / reselling). There were clearly more than 25 pressed up originally, so can only assume a few more have been "found".

link

Yes Steve i'd heard it was Mike that brought them back to the UK. An interesting postcript is that all the recent copies i have seen have been absolutely stone mint label and vinyl mintier than an after eight in a bath of creme de menthe :lol:thumbsup.gif

Didn't know the Curtis connexxxion though :D

Social source share

Yes Steve i'd heard it was Mike that brought them back to the UK. An interesting postcript is that all the recent copies i have seen have been absolutely stone mint label and vinyl mintier than an after eight in a bath of creme de menthe  :D   thumbsup.gif

Didn't know the Curtis connexxxion though  :D

link

It was Mike Charlton who had the initial copies but I think it was less than 25 - could be wrong. Thing was he literally gave them away to DJs to create the demand before bringing in the quantity. Thing was George Tobin, the producer got wind that everyone & their dog wanted a copy and copies had already changed hands for tidy sums so when Mike when back for more he wanted way too much for em. So Mike came away empty handed and somewhere sat a large quantity of em. Thats what I have always known the story to be. So while its always been regarded as a rare record there has always been quantity somewhere and a possibility they would be found. Maybe this is them ??

Girf

Social source share

It was Mike Charlton who had the initial copies but I think it was less than 25 - could be wrong. Thing was he literally gave them away to DJs to create the demand before bringing in the quantity. Thing was George Tobin, the producer got wind that everyone & their dog wanted a copy and copies had already changed hands for tidy sums so when Mike when back for more he wanted way too much for em. So Mike came away empty handed and somewhere sat a large quantity of em. Thats what I have always known the story to be. So while its always been regarded as a rare record there has always been quantity somewhere and a possibility they would be found. Maybe this is them ??

Girf

link

Hope so, I would love to have one of these in my collection, but for a bit less than $800 :lol:

.....or perhaps people are just recognizing it as utter shite and now see that it's not "soul" by any stretch of the word :wicked:

Muppet !!!!!!!!

Social source share

I've always liked it - and I think its better than the Donald Albert cover.

Girf

link

Not sure whether he was talking about "Hardest Part" or Curtis "Broom broom boing boing, pew, pew...How can I tell her...." This thread has become tied up in itself whistling.gif

Social source share

this guy has sold 5 on ebay so far

oct 986 usd

dec 842 usd

jan 1421 usd

feb 1035 feb

apr 877 usd

Social source share

I am right in thinking that Curtis came over to one of the early Southport weekenders and brought half a dozen copies of the hardest part with him ??

must be late 80's when he came  ????

Anybody confirm ?

link

I don't think so - that would be when Mike Charlton 'gave away' the copies he had. Most of the Southport DJs at the time got one.

Girf

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest cC B

Can anyone post up a RA of the Donald Albert version? Never heard it.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Christian B

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert