• Replies 15
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest mel brat

Can someone lead me to a thread on this..

Why the green lable (70s onwards) on UK tamla motown.

I'm being really lazy not going thru allthe searches, soz!!

Many thanx :thumbsup: P

I guess you're referring to the Tamla Motown green & white demos?

Possibly something as simple as EMI updating and also standardizing their product, ie. they did the same with the Stateside label. Maybe someone thought green and white would stand out more from rival companies' demos - or it was a direct response to the shocking pink MGM demos!

Green & white Tamla Motown demos were actually introduced in the late 60s anyway, not the 70s.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I guess you're referring to the Tamla Motown green & white demos?

Possibly something as simple as EMI updating and also standardizing their product, ie. they did the same with the Stateside label. Maybe someone thought green and white would stand out more from rival companies' demos - or it was a direct response to the shocking pink MGM demos!

Green & white Tamla Motown demos were actually introduced in the late 60s anyway, not the 70s.

Thanks for the info mel brat :thumbsup: , but I was referring to the modern style lable. Any ideas on that?

Derr! Ive think i'm diggin myself in a hole here. Are they the modern demo's then? although there are some blue demos aswell.

Thanks P smile.gif

post-9683-1209800877_thumb.jpg

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Thanks for the info mel brat :thumbsup: , but I was referring to the modern style lable. Any ideas on that?

Thanks P smile.gif

...Nothing more 'sinister' here than using a pale green colour scheme for their demos that would immediately distinguish them from the regular 'pale blue'-hued stock design that started when the UK label was rebranded as just 'Motown' in 1976, and the label was redesigned accordingly.

Simple as that!

TONE

Social source share

...Nothing more 'sinister' here than using a pale green colour scheme for their demos that would immediately distinguish them from the regular 'pale blue'-hued stock design that started when the UK label was rebranded as just 'Motown' in 1976, and the label was redesigned accordingly.

Simple as that!

TONE

Thanks TONE, I thinks I'll just go back to bed. Late shift last night. :) P

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Simple as that!

TONE

Spot on!

Social source share

Simple as that!

TONE

hey tony rounce you are not getting away that easy tongue.gif

tho you are probibly right but then as paup-ine says there were blue demos too, i have at least one title on a green and a blue demo cant think at the mo but tailgate comes to mind, so why would they make a green and a blue demo...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

hey tony rounce you are not getting away that easy tongue.gif

tho you are probibly right but then as paup-ine says there were blue demos too, i have at least one title on a green and a blue demo cant think at the mo but tailgate comes to mind, so why would they make a green and a blue demo...

The first few blue stocks were also blue demos - things like the Commodores' "Just To Be Close To You" and "Easy" and Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way" - and, as you rightly say, "Tailgate". I don't have a full run of mid-late 70s Motown demos but I think the introduced the green demos in '78, for the reasons I previously suggested, sometime around the time of Tata Vega's "Get It Up For Love" if memory serves.

Sorry I can't be more speceific, I'm considerably less interested in that end of the catalogue from a demo collecting point of view. But while we're talkiing about 'real' green and white demos, would I be right in thinking that the first one was "Reach Out, I'll Be There"?

Social source share

The first few blue stocks were also blue demos - things like the Commodores' "Just To Be Close To You" and "Easy" and Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way" - and, as you rightly say, "Tailgate". I don't have a full run of mid-late 70s Motown demos but I think the introduced the green demos in '78, for the reasons I previously suggested, sometime around the time of Tata Vega's "Get It Up For Love" if memory serves.

Sorry I can't be more speceific, I'm considerably less interested in that end of the catalogue from a demo collecting point of view. But while we're talkiing about 'real' green and white demos, would I be right in thinking that the first one was "Reach Out, I'll Be There"?

Correct Tony, on the 'reach out' Demo being the first 'real' green and white demo,

Pete

Social source share

The first few blue stocks were also blue demos - things like the Commodores' "Just To Be Close To You" and "Easy" and Thelma Houston's "Don't Leave Me This Way" -

Sorry to bore you with this, but do you mean that the first blue stocks were demos without the printing on the lable saying 'demo'!

Thanks P smile.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sorry to bore you with this, but do you mean that the first blue stocks were demos without the printing on the lable saying 'demo'!

Thanks P :rolleyes:

Yes, I suppose you could put it that way laugh.gif

The blue stocks and demos were identical, apart from the obvious small 'A' and the release date and 'demo not for sale' printed on the record centre...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!