Strange Billy Stewart Chess #

boba

Someone I know has a strange billy stewart record to sell. It is Chess 1905 - "tell it like it tis / sweet seniorita". It is listed in chess discographies as "tell it like it is / sweet senorita" but what I wrote is how it is spelled on this 45. This 45 is a 70s issue, it's the orange and blue GRT press. The guy selling it says that the record was actually never issued in 1964 as listed in discographies (although it must have been scheduled given the #) and that this is the only press of the record that came out in the 70s when GRT was looking for material to reissue. Does anyone know if this is true? I listened to it and sort of believe him because "tell it like it tis" has a stereo mix which wouldn't have been done on the real 1964 release, and I don't know why they would remix it for a reissue.

The guy wants $50 for it, which seems like a lot even if it was a 1964 record and not a 70s random chess title as it's just sort of random. I don't know if I should buy it. If it came up on ebay I'm sure it would just go for a few bucks. Does anyone know how rare this record actually is, know if it is possibly worth that, or know if it did come out in any form originally in 1964? Web searches don't reveal much info. it also isn't even listed as out of stock at recordsbymail.com, I would have thought that they would have had some random 70s chess title at some point. Thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Someone I know has a strange billy stewart record to sell. It is Chess 1905 - "tell it like it tis / sweet seniorita". It is listed in chess discographies as "tell it like it is / sweet senorita" but what I wrote is how it is spelled on this 45. This 45 is a 70s issue, it's the orange and blue GRT press. The guy selling it says that the record was actually never issued in 1964 as listed in discographies (although it must have been scheduled given the #) and that this is the only press of the record that came out in the 70s when GRT was looking for material to reissue. Does anyone know if this is true? I listened to it and sort of believe him because "tell it like it tis" has a stereo mix which wouldn't have been done on the real 1964 release, and I don't know why they would remix it for a reissue.

The guy wants $50 for it, which seems like a lot even if it was a 1964 record and not a 70s random chess title as it's just sort of random. I don't know if I should buy it. If it came up on ebay I'm sure it would just go for a few bucks. Does anyone know how rare this record actually is, know if it is possibly worth that, or know if it did come out in any form originally in 1964? Web searches don't reveal much info. it also isn't even listed as out of stock at recordsbymail.com, I would have thought that they would have had some random 70s chess title at some point. Thanks.

I have a copy of this Bob, spelt "Seniorita", which I bought around 30 years ago. Same number (1905). Everything about the label (black) and dead wax markings is consistent with the 1964 date. I seem to remember reading years ago that this was rare because it was withdrawn after release.

Nick

Social source share

I have a copy of this Bob, spelt "Seniorita", which I bought around 30 years ago. Same number (1905). Everything about the label (black) and dead wax markings is consistent with the 1964 date. I seem to remember reading years ago that this was rare because it was withdrawn after release.

Nick

wow, thanks a lot for the info, I really appreciate it. The 'tell it like it tis' side is definitely stereo on mine, though, maybe they remixed it for the '70s GRT issue (which this one is). You can't possibly post a scan so I can show it to this guy, can you? Thanks.

Social source share

I have a Little Milton So Blue in stereo on Chess looks 60ts but I will check :thumbsup: .

there definitely is a blue 60s label. This label on this billy stewart is 70s though, it is orange and blue, there is a horse head on it, and it says GRT on the bottom. I specifically just want to see the billy stewart 1905 # from the 60s to show this guy so he won't gouge me on this 70s reissue! Thanks.

Social source share

wow, thanks a lot for the info, I really appreciate it. The 'tell it like it tis' side is definitely stereo on mine, though, maybe they remixed it for the '70s GRT issue (which this one is). You can't possibly post a scan so I can show it to this guy, can you? Thanks.

I hope these come through OK Bob. I found an article by Robert Pruter in "Soul Survivor" # 9, Summer 1988, in which he describes the record as "only semi-released", "Vitually unobtainable" and says it was fetching over $20, way back then.

Nick

Social source share

I hope these come through OK Bob. I found an article by Robert Pruter in "Soul Survivor" # 9, Summer 1988, in which he describes the record as "only semi-released", "Vitually unobtainable" and says it was fetching over $20, way back then.

Nick

wow, you are awesome, thanks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert