I Wish I'd Kept It! Records You Had, But Then Allowed To Get Away

Talking of Lester Malc, did you know he was the first Derby winner to be ridden by a man weighing 19 stones ?

Lester Piggott was ridden by a man weighing 19 stones ? .....

No wonder he talked funny laugh.gif .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

It means hiding your money , as in when Ken Dodd used to secrete his money away from the tax man ........

It is also called " doing a Lester " ( Piggott ) .........

Where do you keep yours , Ian ? Offshore , or in a deposit box in Berne , Switzerland whistling.gif .........

Malc Burton

Haha LOL. If only Malc..... :thumbsup:

Not much dosh in't record business nowdays mate unless you're called Johnny or Tim LOL..... :lol:

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Haha LOL. If only Malc..... rolleyes.gif

Not much dosh in't record business nowdays mate unless you're called Johnny or Tim LOL..... :thumbsup:

Ian D biggrin.gif

Are you sure ? these men invented the term " I ant got two hape'neys t'rub together " :lol: .........

I have heard the T & J put " no publicity " when signing their tax returns ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

'Doing a doddy in the matress'..............?

Is that Yorkshire vernacular for having a quick one off the wrist in bed........? :D

Ian D biggrin.gif

No Ian,

i think uncle Malc is alluding to the notion that my mattress has more than individually sprung pockets holding the gilded one aloft in slumber, a practice pioneered by the Major of Notty Ash but not regretably unoticed by the special investigation deparment at H.M.Customs & Excise.

Yorkshire Vehicular for "a swift one of the wrist" try a four knuckle shuffle?

A factual statement as confirmed by non other ex Rotherham pat, Jeremy Clarkson.

In the Sunday Times motoring magazine he once compares in a article the new Porche 911S v Aston Martin Vanquish.

Whereas the experiance in the AM Vanquish he regarded as taking a beautifull debutante out for a lavish meal and then dancing the remainder of the night away at the Ritz, his feelings re the Porche are somewhat removed......

"On the other hand the experiance of the 911 is like a knee trembler behind a nightclub in Rotherham, amongst the empty beer crates, with the local "bike" and a bag of chips to follow from the adjacent takeaway........

Hmmm...wonder which club he was thinking about :(

Social source share

No Ian,

i think uncle Malc is alluding to the notion that my mattress has more than individually sprung pockets holding the gilded one aloft in slumber, a practice pioneered by the Major of Notty Ash but not regretably unoticed by the special investigation deparment at H.M.Customs & Excise.

A factual statement as confirmed by non other ex Rotherham pat, Jeremy Clarkson.

In the Sunday Times motoring magazine he once compares in a article the new Porche 911S v Aston Martin Vanquish.

Whereas the experiance in the AM Vanquish he regarded as taking a beautifull debutante out for a lavish meal and then dancing the remainder of the night away at the Ritz, his feelings re the Porche are somewhat removed......

"On the other hand the experiance of the 911 is like a knee trembler behind a nightclub in Rotherham, amongst the empty beer crates, with the local "bike" and a bag of chips to follow from the adjacent takeaway........

Hmmm...wonder which club he was thinking about :)

New York, New York :thumbsup:

Sorry Alan but could'nt resist it :D

Social source share

New York, New York :thumbsup:

Sorry Alan but could'nt resist it :D

Hi Cunnie,

so good they named it twice....but he didnt mention the whereabouts....mind you certainly a popular place for exchanging bodily fluids and extending the borough gene pool.....some interesting events...beer crates or no beer crates ....

Picture a Couple engaged in sex olympics in uncompromising positions in a Nightclub fire exit

Security Person "oi get off her and f....off or i'll tek ti head off "

Male participant "hold on mi old, i'm nearly there, on short strokes"

Security Person "I'm not f..... interested..hey 'old on.....oi! thats our lass!!!"

Networking...Rotherham styleeeeee :)

Social source share

No Ian,

A factual statement as confirmed by non other ex Rotherham pat, Jeremy Clarkson.In the Sunday Times motoring magazine he once compares in a article the new Porche 911S v Aston Martin Vanquish.

Hmmm...wonder which club he was thinking about :huh:

Ex - Rotherham pat , Jeremy Clarkson ? Surely you would not subject said town to being associated with the man , and I think you ought to publicly apologise to the good people of Rotherham for this shameful , and grave error :D ........

JC is , as everyone knows , a Donny ( Doncaster , for those not converse with the shortening of the name ) lad ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

sold

admirations on peaches----30-00

barbara at clair--teacherman--20-00

denis dell----30-00

passed up a "lady in green" 100

sold -kelly and the soul explosions to kev johnson-----about 30-00

still picked up plenty og bargins in my time

like frankie beverley sassy dj------30-00

Yeah, my Johnny Rogers for one :D:huh::lol: ...............what in the name of all things holy was I playing at :huh: ..........Do you still have it Keith............think I sold it for 400 ish.............bugger !!!!

Russ

Social source share

No Ian,

Hmmm...wonder which club he was thinking about :D

Oh how I miss the North. :yes:

There's nowt like a knee-trembler with the local bike amongst the empty beer crates wi a bag o' chips to follow! Happy days...... :ohmy:

Down here it's getting boring these days - it's all trios of supermodels, back to their Chelsea pads with Venezuelan dwarfs serving bowls of cocaine...... :thumbsup:

What I'd give for a local bike and a bag of chips these days........ :lol:

Slightly off-thread I know, but I can remember one occasion where I had to sell a World Column so I had enough dosh to wine and dine a highly desireable female I was targetting at the time LOL...

And yep it was worth it. :lol:

Maybe not worth a Del-Larks or Four Perfections but definitely worth a World Column LOL....

Ian D :D

Social source share

Oh how I miss the North. :thumbup:

There's nowt like a knee-trembler with the local bike amongst the empty beer crates wi a bag o' chips to follow! Happy days...... :thumbup:

Down here it's getting boring these days - it's all trios of supermodels, back to their Chelsea pads with Venezuelan dwarfs serving bowls of cocaine...... :rolleyes:

What I'd give for a local bike and a bag of chips these days........ :thumbup:

Slightly off-thread I know, but I can remember one occasion where I had to sell a World Column so I had enough dosh to wine and dine a highly desireable female I was targetting at the time LOL...

And yep it was worth it. :thumbup:

Maybe not worth a Del-Larks or Four Perfections but definitely worth a World Column LOL....

Ian D :excl:

So you financed the evening by selling a World Column , Young Foggy.........

After you had wined , dined and wooed the said female , did you show her your SY HIGHTOWER ? :thumbsup: ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Ex - Rotherham pat , Jeremy Clarkson ? Surely you would not subject said town to being associated with the man , and I think you ought to publicly apologise to the good people of Rotherham for this shameful , and grave error :rolleyes: ........

JC is , as everyone knows , a Donny ( Doncaster , for those not converse with the shortening of the name ) lad ........

Malc Burton

Actually from Harthill Dr Malc, and worked at local Rotherham rag "'tiser".

Twas his ancestors that were from Conisborough near Doncaster.....

Social source share

Oh how I miss the North. :excl:

There's nowt like a knee-trembler with the local bike amongst the empty beer crates wi a bag o' chips to follow! Happy days...... :thumbsup:

Down here it's getting boring these days - it's all trios of supermodels, back to their Chelsea pads with Venezuelan dwarfs serving bowls of cocaine...... :rolleyes:

What I'd give for a local bike and a bag of chips these days........ :thumbup:

And yep it was worth it. :thumbup:

Ian D biggrin.gif

ooooh, World Column flogged to finance "a tread", hmmmm....

now let me see......

at about £3 - £5 then that must mean the lass enjoyed a splash of peas or curry sauce on her chips :thumbup: LOL

You silver tongued devil you! :thumbup:

Social source share

Actually from Harthill Dr Malc, and worked at local Rotherham rag "'tiser".

Twas his ancestors that were from Conisborough near Doncaster.....

Sorry , Alan : I stand ( or sit as I type ) corrected ........

Can I get a house point if I say I know his Mum ? ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

ooooh, World Column flogged to finance "a tread", hmmmm....

now let me see......

at about £3 - £5 then that must mean the lass enjoyed a splash of peas or curry sauce on her chips :thumbsup: LOL

You silver tongued devil you! :rolleyes:

The Austin Powers of the amphet generation .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

• 4 years later...

Had 2 stormers that I picked up for a song off the internet, and sold on for good prices, but still regret selling them, Well yer do don't you?

Solomon King - This beautiful day UK Demo, bought for £25 and sold for £122.

Pookie Hudson - This get's to me - Gold and white 'Jamie', bought for £19 and sold for £109.

I find myself wanting them, then when I have had them for a while, I think 'Ah well, I've had them now, time to sell'

I think the thrill is in the chase, more than actually having them and waiting for someone to compliment you on having them. Just my way of thinking I s'pose, not everyone is the same.

Social source share

Ian (Dewhirst),

I'm sure it was you who purchased off my mate a Bill Brandon "Whatever I am, I'm Yours" on a lovely white Moonsong demo, (probably £3-£4) at a Wigan oldies allnighter, circa 1978. Also didn't you have the sI Hightower for offers on the back page of that large sales booklet you sent out, agian circa 1978? I think I purchased 2 odd UK demo things, Craig Preuss "Moving In The Direction Of Love" and something by The Raes (which I've forgotten the title of).

Social source share

Pleased to say there's not much in either me soul or dance/ disco collections that I've not been able to replace over the years. Its the nigly one like the Valentino's- 'sweeter' and the epitome of sound that used to sell @ 20 and are now around 150, that i cant bring myself to hand over the readies for again that bother me.

Social source share

Pleased to say there's not much in either me soul or dance/ disco collections that I've not been able to replace over the years. Its the nigly one like the Valentino's- 'sweeter' and the epitome of sound that used to sell @ 20 and are now around 150, that i cant bring myself to hand over the readies for again that bother me.

I agree if you been easily able to pick up a record for a certain price and now its a lot more its hard to part with the money.

its all relative to when you got to know the record I guess.

things like enchaters on faro were 40 or 50 quid when I got mine then it went up a bit so I sold it. Now its 150 or even over 200 ??

i'm more interested in looking for odd ball and lesser known stuff now and rarely get excited about things that already command a premium through being well known.

the one I sold that does occasionally niggle me is buddy cantrell on tuska.

Social source share

i used to like collecting black rca issues, it started with tony mason, went on to the metros, sharon scott,i had about 25, all boring oldies !, my kids came along, someone offers £250, its a roof box for the car and money towards a holiday :g: umm ! the days before responsibility

Social source share

has anybody had a record years ago and got rid of it, many years later you want that record, you search and say i,ll pay loads just to have that 45, you see it on a list for...........£20, and think i dont want it anymore its worth nowt :yes:

eg milton floyd- hungry for love, got it from a soul pack, chucked it, remembered it, really wanted it,saw it, 75 quid, sod it :yes:

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Haha LOL. If you had a "New Killer Joe" - Benny Golson on a label called Mel Bay, I reckon that's rarer than Willie Kendricks! I've never heard of it and I know about this stuff (mostly). I wasn't aware of a U.S. 12" - I thought the ONLY 12" was the UK one. I was under the impression that it was a Columbia recording as we first started playing it of the U.S. Columbia album and then it was issued on UK CBS on 12"........

Are you sure you weren't temporarily mad mate? whistling.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

I remember you playing Benny Golson and Kraftwerk in amnesia Leeds Corn Exchange!

My 2 claims 2 pain are

1 Selling a mint Eric Mercury Sac for 140 quid Good price at the time but just regret selling it 1980

2 Lending Pat Brady Nothing can stop me now (End ) He played it alot at the time so i lent him it for a while Never goi it back

Social source share

Talking of which, does anyone on here have a copy of my 'Vinyl Junky's" list from '77 I think? It was an 80 page booklet with 1000's of records listed all cheap. Frightening............. ph34r.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

this one

post-2477-0-00165600-1338717778_thumb.jp

and this

post-2477-0-79177000-1338717817_thumb.jp

pains me to read em now

lost 70 early motown out the back of my disco wagon in the early 80's went back but never found

also regret the time spent in california in the 70s when in the navy on the piss instead of buying records.

ha ha just read the initial date on this thread that'll teach me

kev

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

This thread seems to be more about the regret of letting things go too cheap, rather than the loss of the record it self.

a bit of both with me... i mean who in their right mind wouldnt want to own originals of tomangoes and cecil washington....but at the same time if i still had em i`d consider selling em again for something i`d rather use in 2012

Social source share

Sold a 45 Box of stuff once to Mary (Queen of Soul) Chapman in the mid 80's, that had about 8 Roulette demos (Ila Vann , Casualeers, Jimmy Breedlove, Fugitives etc) Innersection Demo , Bobby Paris - Night Owl demo Blah blah blah !!!. All because I had been made redundant (no payoff!) and wanted to go on the piss with my mates for the bank Holiday :( . In fairness thought I'd get £50 - £60 if I was lucky and Mary had just come back into the shop (Lincoln) with wages for the staff and asked what I wanted for them, to which I replied "what will you give me?" , she said the bank is now shut and all I have is the wages (about £150 I think), so I was well made up and got absolutely Shit faced that weekend !!! :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Was it worth it , yes it was at the time :lol:

Now where's Mary's phone number , sure she must still have them after all these years and offer her £250 for the lot :lol: , then we'll all be happy!

Swifty :thumbsup:

P.S. am I bovvered :dash2:

Social source share

post-2216-0-04629000-1338914695_thumb.jp

Paid £450 from a Soul Sourcer circa 2005.

2008 Sold for £350 to (help) finance love nest # 1 with the now Mrs Sims.

post-2216-0-85304400-1338914785_thumb.jp

Purchased recently (£350) from a reputable dealer.

Lost Soul, George Tinley, George Cameron, Marie Knight, Tommy Frontera, Pat & The Blenders.. I'll get em all back one day, innit ...

Social source share

Guest Torch55

Around November 1971 a batch of pressings emerged from the east Midlands, different in character from any before. Whereas previously 'certain' records had obviously not been legitimate recordings, because of the labels under which they had been marketed (Soul Sounds being a prime example) these purported to be the real deal with counterfeit labels that were, in some cases, convincingly accurate. Therefore it was possible to purchase a copy of Jo Armstead's "The urge keeps coming" on Giant that looked remarkably like the original as played at the Catacombs by Alan S. Indeed the pound-sound in this instance might even be considered an improvement, in one respect, for it was generally not disfigured by a discernible crack in the vinyl, as Alan's was. The Ad-libs' "Nothing's worse than being alone" on Share, and Bobby Freeman's "I'll never fall in love again" on Autumn, were two further examples of records, big at the time, suddenly cheaply available in a seemingly creditworthy format.

The one record in that batch that wouldn't have fooled a blind div was Laura Lee's "To win your Heart" on Ric-tic, apparently, except the pressing plant that put the labels together was evidently not in downtown Detroit, and had clearly decided that, when it came to red, any shade would do. How one of these aberrations found its way into my collection, a couple of months later, is one of those head-shaking moments worthy of pity, rather than ridicule, but more of that anon.

From the ridiculous to the sublime: in the early months of 1972, purchased initially from Reddington's Rare Records in Birmingham for the princely sum of 50p, I had in my possession a stock copy, on beautiful, black, British Parlophone, of Jimmy Thomas, " The beautiful night" This was a record that gained much more exposure at the Torch rather than the Catacombs, I'd suggest, probably because DJs there had copies and those frequenting Temple Street didn't. Certainly Alan S didn't, though he played Steve Glover's demo one night and my issue on another occasion. (Incidentally, imagine having that fact to incorporate into your provenance spiel: not just, "As played at the Cats." But, "Actually played at the Cats." John Manship would have a field day.) Max had a copy later on, but I don't think that was the case pre-Astra refurbishment, which saw the venue closed between April and September, 1972, and his had the centre missing, which was not the case with any of his other British sides. All this is testimony to the disc's rarity but why was this?

According to the story I heard, the record was withdrawn from general release after only one week of public sales in 1969 owing to the suggestive nature of Jimmy's lyrics, and this accounts for the dearth of stock copies and why they're even more in demand than the demos. As to current valuation, well, Andy Peake had one for sale, amongst a box of Britain's finest, at one of the Manchester Ritz bank holiday all-nighters about 10 years ago for £250,but research suggests £300-400 would be a more realistic price today, should one become available.

I was aware of very little of this back in the spring of 1972 when I was offered 75p and a pressing of Laura Lee in exchange for a record I'd owned before I'd heard, and which had not made much of an impression on me when played in the front room on the Dansette. "To win your heart", was, however, despite appearances, a top Ric-tic sound. Alright, this type of string laden production was not quite as awe- inspiring to me as it had been when first introduced to it nine months previously and records like "Please let me in" and "I'm satisfied" almost redefined, to my ears, what a top sound should sound like, but, nonetheless, it still rattled the receptors most appropriately and so I decided to accept, on the basis of it's what's in the grooves that counts.

Let's also not forget that 75p was not an inconsiderable sum of money at the time. 10p bought you a Coke at the Torch or ten Number Six with the addition of half a p. Metrication of the currency had only been with us twelve months, or so, and so 75p was less a collection of shrapnel and more a virtual ten bob note and two weighty half crowns. Are you convinced yet? No? Neither am I.

Thus it was, that on a fateful midweek Catacombs' session, I parted with Mr. Thomas' celebration of his apparently illicit liaison in return for 75p, a piece of plastic, and a slight feeling of unease at what I had just done. Not such a beautiful night for me, Jimmy, though you were right about one thing, I'll never forget it. And that should be the end of this sad tale but that record had at least one more blow to deliver, though thankfully somebody else was on the receiving end other than me. John Pumford had already lined up a buyer when he completed the deal with me, and just a few days later, at Crewe's Up The Junction all-nighter, moved it on for the sum of £5 to a lad from Nottingham. Sadly, that wasn't the last time the record changed hands that night, only this time no fee was involved, and the digits involved were of the light-fingered variety. And with that I lost track of my Catacombs artefact. Fate had not been kind to me and I don't expect we'll spend another night together now.

Social source share

Around November 1971 a batch of pressings emerged from the east Midlands, different in character from any before. Whereas previously 'certain' records had obviously not been legitimate recordings, because of the labels under which they had been marketed (Soul Sounds being a prime example) these purported to be the real deal with counterfeit labels that were, in some cases, convincingly accurate. Therefore it was possible to purchase a copy of Jo Armstead's "The urge keeps coming" on Giant that looked remarkably like the original as played at the Catacombs by Alan S. Indeed the pound-sound in this instance might even be considered an improvement, in one respect, for it was generally not disfigured by a discernible crack in the vinyl, as Alan's was. The Ad-libs' "Nothing's worse than being alone" on Share, and Bobby Freeman's "I'll never fall in love again" on Autumn, were two further examples of records, big at the time, suddenly cheaply available in a seemingly creditworthy format.

The one record in that batch that wouldn't have fooled a blind div was Laura Lee's "To win your Heart" on Ric-tic, apparently, except the pressing plant that put the labels together was evidently not in downtown Detroit, and had clearly decided that, when it came to red, any shade would do. How one of these aberrations found its way into my collection, a couple of months later, is one of those head-shaking moments worthy of pity, rather than ridicule, but more of that anon.

From the ridiculous to the sublime: in the early months of 1972, purchased initially from Reddington's Rare Records in Birmingham for the princely sum of 50p, I had in my possession a stock copy, on beautiful, black, British Parlophone, of Jimmy Thomas, " The beautiful night" This was a record that gained much more exposure at the Torch rather than the Catacombs, I'd suggest, probably because DJs there had copies and those frequenting Temple Street didn't. Certainly Alan S didn't, though he played Steve Glover's demo one night and my issue on another occasion. (Incidentally, imagine having that fact to incorporate into your provenance spiel: not just, "As played at the Cats." But, "Actually played at the Cats." John Manship would have a field day.) Max had a copy later on, but I don't think that was the case pre-Astra refurbishment, which saw the venue closed between April and September, 1972, and his had the centre missing, which was not the case with any of his other British sides. All this is testimony to the disc's rarity but why was this?

According to the story I heard, the record was withdrawn from general release after only one week of public sales in 1969 owing to the suggestive nature of Jimmy's lyrics, and this accounts for the dearth of stock copies and why they're even more in demand than the demos. As to current valuation, well, Andy Peake had one for sale, amongst a box of Britain's finest, at one of the Manchester Ritz bank holiday all-nighters about 10 years ago for £250,but research suggests £300-400 would be a more realistic price today, should one become available.

I was aware of very little of this back in the spring of 1972 when I was offered 75p and a pressing of Laura Lee in exchange for a record I'd owned before I'd heard, and which had not made much of an impression on me when played in the front room on the Dansette. "To win your heart", was, however, despite appearances, a top Ric-tic sound. Alright, this type of string laden production was not quite as awe- inspiring to me as it had been when first introduced to it nine months previously and records like "Please let me in" and "I'm satisfied" almost redefined, to my ears, what a top sound should sound like, but, nonetheless, it still rattled the receptors most appropriately and so I decided to accept, on the basis of it's what's in the grooves that counts.

Let's also not forget that 75p was not an inconsiderable sum of money at the time. 10p bought you a Coke at the Torch or ten Number Six with the addition of half a p. Metrication of the currency had only been with us twelve months, or so, and so 75p was less a collection of shrapnel and more a virtual ten bob note and two weighty half crowns. Are you convinced yet? No? Neither am I.

Thus it was, that on a fateful midweek Catacombs' session, I parted with Mr. Thomas' celebration of his apparently illicit liaison in return for 75p, a piece of plastic, and a slight feeling of unease at what I had just done. Not such a beautiful night for me, Jimmy, though you were right about one thing, I'll never forget it. And that should be the end of this sad tale but that record had at least one more blow to deliver, though thankfully somebody else was on the receiving end other than me. John Pumford had already lined up a buyer when he completed the deal with me, and just a few days later, at Crewe's Up The Junction all-nighter, moved it on for the sum of £5 to a lad from Nottingham. Sadly, that wasn't the last time the record changed hands that night, only this time no fee was involved, and the digits involved were of the light-fingered variety. And with that I lost track of my Catacombs artefact. Fate had not been kind to me and I don't expect we'll spend another night together now.

Brilliant! Great story and exactly what this thread is all about. Sometimes you know you may have a major item which in my case, in the late 70's, happened to be Si Hightower's one-off test-pressing and Willie Tee's "I'm Having So Much Fun" on Gatur.

I moved them on because, frankly, I was way off the scene at that point and those records were more use to the people who REALLY wanted 'em, i.e., the next generation of people like me who were deep into the scene.

But what's your excuse LOL? :lol:

Social source share

Talking of which, does anyone on here have a copy of my 'Vinyl Junky's" list from '77 I think? It was an 80 page booklet with 1000's of records listed all cheap. Frightening............. ph34r.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

this one

post-2477-0-00165600-1338717778_thumb.jp

and this

post-2477-0-79177000-1338717817_thumb.jp

pains me to read em now

lost 70 early motown out the back of my disco wagon in the early 80's went back but never found

also regret the time spent in california in the 70s when in the navy on the piss instead of buying records.

ha ha just read the initial date on this thread that'll teach me

kev

Damn. I can't even remember that Dave Rene record......

....is it any good....?

Social source share

Enjoyed reading that, two points, I got a black issue out of Record Collector in the late 90's for £18, think I sold it to Dave Kilworth for £25 at Keele, I haven't had one since...the Catacombs copy on the Parlophone issue - well one of them anyway - belonged to the late Bob Crocker, a few years back I remember a very proud Swoz showing me this and it had Bob Cocker Catacombs scratched into the run off. Can't remember if it had a centre or not, I think maybe it didn't.

Social source share

Sold Larom Baker for £225 which seemed mega money at the time,also King Moses for£150,Ice- "Reality"£30,Herby Brown £100 and not forgetting Flo Smogg for £150 but got another for a £100 :)

Sadly just can't afford to collect anymore as i have been priced out of it .

Social source share

a few i let go

john & wierdest to andy dyson mid 90's £250

empires to steve chadwick mid 90's £500

del-larks to rich broughton 1986/7 ish £100

royal robins to guy hennighan 1985 £40

frankie karl red issue to dave and bri pinches (i think) mid 90's £200

anthony & delsonics to adey pierce mid 80's £30

betty fikes to jinxy (scarboro) 1990 £60

Edited by trev thomas
Social source share

Surprised you only listed those few Trev! i remember that box of stuff you were selling at the Swan in Mansfield :ohmy: although i had known and sold you quite a few things before i didn´t honestly know what a top collection you actually had !

carl had more money on him that night and relieved you of the Ascots and a few others most were tenty five quid i seem to recall

Steve

hi steve, that night at the swan was when rich bought the del-larks off me, sold quite a few things that night

ascots 25

dena barnes 25

george blackwell 50

elbie parker 30

patti young 30

james barnett issue 15

willie kendricks 25

soul shakers - teri de 25

willie hutch 25

miki farrow 25

dean courtney mgm 40

seven souls 25

freddie chavez 25

ronnie mc nair 25

sweets - soultown 25

like you said, most were 25 quid,over a quarter of a weeks wages in those days

Social source share

Sold my Wade Flemmons "Jeanette" Ramsel for £15, downstairs in Bradfords Queens hall allnighter around 1990.

Very pleased with the profit as I got it from a Soulbowl 100 record pack!

Little did I know it would turn into a floorpacking money item!!

Can't believe how good it sounds now, loud in a venue.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!