Austrailian Tamla Motown

Guest julesp1905

Guest julesp1905

Recently Got hold of a copy of Brenda Holloway On OZ Tamla

Does anybody know if they actually release Demo Copies of is this as good as a Promo Copy.

Thanks for any information.

post-10426-1209973275_thumb.jpg

Edited by julesp1905
Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest julesp1905

i've seen a few demos,they are black with a large blue A

Cheers Taffy, I seen Stateside Copies With The Blue A.

Anybody know if all Releases had a seperate demo release or did they stop due to the limited pressing numbers?

Social source share

Here's what a demo looks like...and there's a couple of pages about Australian Soul releases on my site (thanks to Frank Driscoll):

>>> Click Here <<<

ph34r.gif

Thanks for the Info Dave, There is some Lovely Scans of stuff you would have thought would never got a release over there, Did notice that the same sample sticker has been used on one the featured scans so I suppose my one is genuine, would have been nice to get a Black 'n Blue but can't grumble for £18 including shipping

Social source share

tend to find bullet stickers over here on some of the tamla 45's and the blue A s on other tamla 45's not too sure of the difference ? sunny soul should be able to explain better. I thought bullets may be promo copies and the demos with the A's are for radio??

All the blue A aussie 45, s i have seem to be later 60,s period, i have a lovely frankie vallie The Night with a blue A

sunny soul any clues?

pete morgan ( australia)

Social source share

tend to find bullet stickers over here on some of the tamla 45's and the blue A s on other tamla 45's not too sure of the difference ? sunny soul should be able to explain better. I thought bullets may be promo copies and the demos with the A's are for radio??

All the blue A aussie 45, s i have seem to be later 60,s period, i have a lovely frankie vallie The Night with a blue A

sunny soul any clues?

pete morgan ( australia)

Hi Pete !

The Blue "A" demos were introduced by EMI Australia in 1967 but the famous Red Bullet demo stickers continued to be used in Australia well into the mid 70's ... and sometimes demos were issued both with a Blue "A" and also with a Red Bullett !!!

For example, I have two different Australian demos of David Ruffin's "Walk Away From Love" , one has the blue "A" and the other the Red Bullett !!!

More than likely this was due to different pressing plants.

Incidentally, the Red Bullett stickers weren't limited only to EMI Australia issued records.

Astor (Australia) took over licensing of Motown in Australia from EMI in 1976 and for a few years continued to issue demos with the bulletts as well as the "A"s.

Record collecting, don't you love it !!! :)

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!