Empress Ballroom Mexborough

There are two things in this earthly life , that you can guarantee will deliver the goods on a bank holiday .......

One is the weather , and that it will urinate it down ( it did ) , and the other is quality of soul music that will be provided at The Empress .........

The Empress has had a long history and tradition , as a successful soul venue ( I promoted nights and all - nighters there in the late 70s / early 80s , and all - nighters ran by Guy Hennigan and others in the mid 80s ) , and it is gratifying to know that the tradition is in the safe hands of Yocky , El Nel and Woody ..........

The main room again did what it states on the tin - it provided an impressive soundtrack of reliable floorfillers and underplayed - but yet again - floorfilling sounds . All credit to the gentlemen ( it has been a long time since they were called that :lol: ) behind the decks for putting needle t'grooves .........

One feature that was introduced at this particular BHS ( Bank Holiday Sunday , not the retail chain store - pay attention at the back ) , was the " Chill Out Room " , which featured the more diverse sounds - if we must give it a 'kin label , crossover / modern - that are now accepted and part of the scene .......

Provided by The Friendship Boys * , Mark and Geordie , this new string to the bow of The Empress on a BHS ( 5 house points to the first one to remember what BHS stands for ) , worked 100 % , with the quality of the music shining through . Once again , credit to those behind the decks for the music ...........

( * - It is true Mark and Geordie , that by having the name " The Friendship Boys " , that it has meant you have now got countless bookings in Brighton ? )

It was a pleasure to hear good music , catch up with people , chat and have a laugh .

For those who thought Rob Smith had brought new stock with him , apologies : Rob had just rearranged the old records and put them into different boxes ( thanks to Chris Dalton for that ) .......

The Empress is a venue that you feel comfortable being in ; like an old and trusted pair of slippers . Top music , Top promoters , Top crowd ...........

Marks for The Empress - 10 / 10 ; Well done , and keep up the good work :thumbsup: ............

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
  • Replies 8
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Jonah 1959

There are two things in this earthly life , that you can guarantee will deliver the goods on a bank holiday .......

One is the weather , and that it will urinate it down ( it did ) , and the other is quality of soul music that will be provided at The Empress .........

The Empress has had a long history and tradition , as a successful soul venue ( I promoted nights and all - nighters there in the late 70s / early 80s , and all - nighters ran by Guy Hennigan and others in the mid 80s ) , and it is gratifying to know that the tradition is in the safe hands of Yocky , El Nel and Woody ..........

The main room again did what it states on the tin - it provided an impressive soundtrack of reliable floorfillers and underplayed - but yet again - floorfilling sounds . All credit to the gentlemen ( it has been a long time since they were called that :D ) behind the decks for putting needle t'grooves .........

One feature that was introduced at this particular BHS ( Bank Holiday Sunday , not the retail chain store - pay attention at the back ) , was the " Chill Out Room " , which featured the more diverse sounds - if we must give it a 'kin label , crossover / modern - that are now accepted and part of the scene .......

Provided by The Friendship Boys * , Mark and Geordie , this new string to the bow of The Empress on a BHS ( 5 house points to the first one to remember what BHS stands for ) , worked 100 % , with the quality of the music shining through . Once again , credit to those behind the decks for the music ...........

( * - It is true Mark and Geordie , that by having the name " The Friendship Boys " , that it has meant you have now got countless bookings in Brighton ? )

It was a pleasure to hear good music , catch up with people , chat and have a laugh .

For those who thought Rob Smith had brought new stock with him , apologies : Rob had just rearranged the old records and put them into different boxes ( thanks to Chris Dalton for that ) .......

The Empress is a venue that you feel comfortable being in ; like an old and trusted pair of slippers . Top music , Top promoters , Top crowd ...........

Marks for The Empress - 10 / 10 ; Well done , and keep up the good work :thumbsup: ............

Malc Burton

Hi Malc

I am in total agreement with you mate,the Empress never fails to impress what a brill night ,well done to Mark & Geordie in the chill out room also the Pincher Brothers.

A very Special thanks go out to Yockey,El Nel (sorry DN12 2HB ) and Woody plus guest's.

Hope to see you soon Malc take care.

Jonah,Rachel,and son Peter. :lol:

Guest Jonah 1959

I would just like to thank Geordie for playing :- Gabin featuring Dee Dee bridgewater, for me me and Rachel will see you and Mark at the freindship take care mate.

Jonah. :thumbsup:

looks like theres two threads going for the empress (thats how good it was)..a bold step for the Empress team to try out the chill out room..hey im biased as i was doing a spot on the decks but for me (as Malc said) it worked 100%...

Thouroughly enjoyed the night...Jonah, had to play de de as soon as i clapped eyes on yer thought it would make your night and also is still one of my top plays after 3 years.

Mark Whiteley has all the track listings and they will be posted in 3 weeks time as it takes him that long to type now with his knackered right thumb :unsure:

A big thanks to all those who stayed in the chill out area to hear what dave , bri , mark and myself had to play hope it was to your satisfaction.

A massive thanks to Yockie for a superbly promoted night, your hard work has well and truely cemented a soul event that should run and run for a long time to come

See you all at the next Empress night

PS Malc...... whats this about brighton...wot you heard :lol: ....i know naaathin :D

geeeeeoooordie

thanks to yoki and the boys for putting a "chill out" room on. i think this is going to be a regular

feature from now on. Its a room where anything can be played as long as its not too tired.

not a modern room but thats what i mainly stuck with last night.heres my spot what i can

remember about it.

1 peabo bryson- why dont you make up your mind - capitol lp

2 c b overton- superstar lady - shock w/d

3 bileo - you can win - mtu/watts city

4 ike strong - your love keeps me dancing - maple

5 sun - just a minute of your time - capitol

6 spyder turner - i`ll be waiting - whitfield

7 david rhodes - hung up in mid air - chi city

8 tripplett twins - gonna change - magic touch

9 modern image - gypsy - philly 76

10 the volumes - aint gonna give you up - karen

11 magnificent 7 - never will i- dial

12 towana& the total destruction - wear your natural baby - romark

13 Ronnie mccain - this time im gone - triode

15 frank and james - how long is forever - white enterprises

16 rideout - something special -hot licks

17 pages - heartaches and pain - sunstruck

18 johnny scott - let me be a winner - portra

19 black box - fall into my love - groove groove melody "12"

could have been a couple more but cant remember as beer was flowing

dave

thanks to yoki and the boys for putting a "chill out" room on. i think this is going to be a regular

feature from now on. Its a room where anything can be played as long as its not too tired.

not a modern room but thats what i mainly stuck with last night.heres my spot what i can

remember about it.

1 peabo bryson- why dont you make up your mind - capitol lp

2 c b overton- superstar lady - shock w/d

3 bileo - you can win - mtu/watts city

4 ike strong - your love keeps me dancing - maple

5 sun - just a minute of your time - capitol

6 spyder turner - i`ll be waiting - whitfield

7 david rhodes - hung up in mid air - chi city

8 tripplett twins - gonna change - magic touch

9 modern image - gypsy - philly 76

10 the volumes - aint gonna give you up - karen

11 magnificent 7 - never will i- dial

12 towana& the total destruction - wear your natural baby - romark

13 Ronnie mccain - this time im gone - triode

15 frank and james - how long is forever - white enterprises

16 rideout - something special -hot licks

17 pages - heartaches and pain - sunstruck

18 johnny scott - let me be a winner - portra

19 black box - fall into my love - groove groove melody "12"

could have been a couple more but cant remember as beer was flowing

dave

what an excellent addition to an already excellent night of soul and dance.

i'll add what i can remember of my plays (maybe not in this order) (all original 7s)

Bobby womack - Daylight

Walter Jackson - Touching in the dark

Coke escovedo - stay with me

Joneses - who loves you

Innersection -Im in debt to you

Universal Love - Its you girl

Ujima - im not ready

Marcia Hines - you gotta let go

Eugene Record - overdose of joy

Brief Encounter - what about love

100% pure poison - you keep coming back

willie tee - first taste of hurt

DeeDee Bridgwater - into my soul

Sandra wright - midnight affair

Micheal wycoff - looking up to you

Weldon Irvine - I love you

El Anthony - weve been in love too long

Executive Jam - im into your love

Jive Fyve - if i had a chance to love you

Four Tracks - like my love for you

Ruby and the romantics - only heaven knows

Fab appollos - determinaion (request)

Sonji Clay - I cant wait to see my babys face

When Mr whiteley posts t plays there maybe a couple more ive missed

geeoooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson

THANKS TO THE PROMOTERS - JOY, YOCKY, NEL & WOODY FOR ANOTHER SUCCESSFUL BANK HOLIDAY SUNDAY SOUL NIGHT AT THE EMPRESS BALLROOM.

THE ADDITION OF THE 'CHILL OUT' AREA WAS A GREATLY APPRECIATED BONUS TO THE NIGHT WITH GREAT SOUNDS PLAYED BY ALL THE DJS IN BOTH ROOMS.

WELL DONE TO ALL INVOLVED. thumbup.gif

SEE YOU AT THE NEXT ONE. :D

AV & PETE

Source Advert