Ebay - Something Dodgy Going On

I won a record from the States last night, though I didn't find out until this morning when I checked my email, anyway it was $100, so I went to pay for it only to find it saying 'your paypal payment of 13 May 08 has been initiated'. Well that's fine except for the fact that I haven't initiated a payment! I looked in my paypal account and nothing is going through. I phoned ebay and they have no idea whats going on. So if they don't know - who does?!

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It must be a new scam. If it doesn't show up in your "my messages" on e-bay it wasn't sent by them or pay-pal. If you send it to spoof@ebay or spoof@pay-pal , they'll probably tell you it was a "phishing" e-mail.

I know I got one about a week ago congratulating me on the new boat (!!!) I purchased and thanking me for the fast payment I sent. Of course there was a link to click on for further details. :lol:

Social source share

Hey Pete, it was me you won the record from on Ebay. I'm not sure how safe Ebay is and if they could be hacked themselves.

This wasn't in an e-mail, it was in "My Ebay". In the items sold it showed a payment of .01 cent was pending. On the sidebar that gives you options to "send invoice" "second chance offer" etc, it showed "click here to see paypal transaction". When you click it, it tells you to sign in to your Paypal. There was nothing showing any kind of "payment pending" whatsoever in my account history.

This is a very scary thing if it is a hacker, so I've changed my paypal password and ebay password. Might have been a glitch in the Ebay Matrix, but I'm not risking a drained paypal account!

I suggest you do the same, Pete! At least for the time being, then change it back later......

Social source share

This wasn't in an e-mail, it was in "My Ebay". In the items sold it showed a payment of .01 cent was pending. On the sidebar that gives you options to "send invoice" "second chance offer" etc, it showed "click here to see paypal transaction". When you click it, it tells you to sign in to your Paypal. There was nothing showing any kind of "payment pending" whatsoever in my account history.

This very same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. The My eBay page shows that a buyer has made a payment to me, but he hasn't - no money has entered my PayPal account from this person and he has confirmed that he hasn't sent anything to me. I suspect that it's just a glitch in the eBay system.

Social source share

I won a record from the States last night, though I didn't find out until this morning when I checked my email, anyway it was $100, so I went to pay for it only to find it saying 'your paypal payment of 13 May 08 has been initiated'. Well that's fine except for the fact that I haven't initiated a payment! I looked in my paypal account and nothing is going through. I phoned ebay and they have no idea whats going on. So if they don't know - who does?!

Pete, I think it's just a glitch - My instance a few days ago was that MyeBay told me "my Paypal payment has been refunded" - which was moments after winning an item, I hadn't paid anything at this point - I did check Paypal and nothing was there, my balance was correct - and still is.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

Pete, I think it's just a glitch - My instance a few days ago was that MyeBay told me "my Paypal payment has been refunded" - which was moments after winning an item, I hadn't paid anything at this point - I did check Paypal and nothing was there, my balance was correct - and still is.

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Can't say that I have had a problem recently, However !

Following a very quiet spell regarding ebay/paypal spoof emails,

Literally months since I last had one. I appear to be getting them again.

As always I send them to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com

Already mentioned above, Just wondering if they've found a new scam.

Hope you get it sorted Pete, Very worrying.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

looks like a case of phishing to me,i fell for a similar scan via my own bank account and had to cancel immediatly! Ebay are definetly not fool proof,when i met some people who worked for google in the states bout 4 years ago,their give me a little insight into the sheer volume of traffic that goes through their business,staggering,no system can monitor comprehensively,!

HOPE YOU GET IT SORTED PETE!

BAZ A :lol:

Social source share

ebay.co.uk

are now very much involved

and a few months ago had an item sold and send to a secondary address,

once

after numerous purchases and no problems,the above part of the ebay family has taken over

UK accounts and as mine was a membership with Ebay.com has caused me a few problems as

the address i sent it to is no longer there,and the same with the person who lived at that address,

so my new batch of sales could easily be sent to the same address,although i have reregistered my current abode with above companies,

So I believe it is since .co.uk branch of Ebay has taken more responsibility for our safe keeping

that it has got worse,

Tried talking to ebay and paypal,but one is passing the buck to the other am still waiting for a

useful answer and solution from them

"Hell freezing over seems the word"

IMO

Social source share

This very same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. The My eBay page shows that a buyer has made a payment to me, but he hasn't - no money has entered my PayPal account from this person and he has confirmed that he hasn't sent anything to me. I suspect that it's just a glitch in the eBay system.

Copy that. I have a 'stuck' payment which no one can seem to unlock.

Weird shit going on...........

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Over the last 3 days I have had over 70 messages in 'My ebay' all purported to have been sent by me to people I have bought records asking if they wish to buy a range of electrical goods.

Can't see the point of this but have asked ebay to investigate. Is this some sort of scam?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert