Mary Wilson Of The Supremes

Mary Wilson of the Supremes did a great interview last night at the Victoria & Albert Museum with Channel 4's (and Soul Source regular) Stuart Cosgrove expertly chairing the proceedings with some intelligent questions and knowledgeable anecdotes.

Ms Wilson was in fine form with some great insights into the machinery of Motown and the evolvement of the Supremes before she climaxed the proceedings with a brilliant acappella song to a standing ovation!

Also some great coverage generally including a pic in the Evening Standard and most of the freebie papers. A great job all round IMO.

Many thanks to Jo Wallace for getting me down there (I owe you one Jo). Had a great night and good to see Stuart again with the ravishing Mrs Cosgrove.

There must have been a bunch of Soul Sourcers down there last night, so who else was there?

Ian D :huh:

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi Ian

We were there and found Mike R waiting for you outside phoneless. Great show wasn't it. Ms Wilson is obviously the complete entertainer. Great stuff!

Many thanks for the tickets Jo and hope you're feeling better this morning.

Edited by sitc01
Social source share

Hi Ian

We were there and found Mike R waiting for you outside phoneless. Great show wasn't it. Ms Wilson is obviously the complete entertainer. Great stuff!

You know what - I saw a bunch of faces which all looked vaguely familiar or, at the very least, had the well-dressed 'knowledgeable veteran souly' look about them and I guess that was you lot outside.

Yep, it was great and Mary was on superb form wasn't she? The lass still has a fine set of lungs and she looks just fantastic.

I'm off to the Diana Ross outdoor show in July as well so I guess I'll see you lot there as well -https://www.easternbreeze.co.uk/newsite/DianaRoss/diana.htm

I'd LOVE to see the Supremes belting out "You Keep Me Hanging On", "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" and even "The Happening" again. They really were the queens of Northern Soul weren't they?

A great night! Got me all nostalgic for the 60's again LOL......

Ian D :huh:

Social source share

I was there last night (thanks Jo for sorting me out :huh: )

Well you never really now what to expect at these interviews but that hour last night flew past..

really enjoyed it.. I filmed the bit when she broke into song but am having trouble uploading but will try when i get home from work with some pictures i took..

Social source share

Guest netty

Hi Ian

Many thanks for the tickets Jo and hope you're feeling better this morning.

Hi Paul, I should have been there, tickets arrived, but unfortunately, I was sent home from work with a chest infection!

So now I'm trawling through t'internet to find some pictures of everything I missed.

It would have been lovely to see you both, never mind.

xx Annette

Social source share

Hi Paul, I should have been there, tickets arrived, but unfortunately, I was sent home from work with a chest infection!

So now I'm trawling through t'internet to find some pictures of everything I missed.

xx Annette

Hi ya Annette..

Sorry to hear you feel unwell..

and well I don't want to make it harder for you but you missed a really good night...

i'll add the photo's tonight and if I still have problems with the video clip i'll add it to you tube and add the link.. (I did try that last night but went to bed..)

I never actually got to see any of the dresses so will be going back soon...

may do that tomorrow and then add them pics as well.. ifi can get out of work early sshh

Social source share

What a nice lady she is, had a great sense of humour and looked stunning for all of her 64 years, really enjoyed the evening, these sort of interviews should be done more often, they give a real insight into the person behind the voice. Got back in time for Jools Holland but unfortunately Mary did'nt sing on the show, would have preferred her singing to Mr.Hucknall :huh:

Social source share

xx Annette

Sorry to hear that Annette. Hope you're feeling better!

See you at Dru & Ady's party?

P&H

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Glad to hear it all went swimmingly. I'd dj'd at the the launch the night before which was a good laugh. Met plenty of old work mates and thanks to Karine for keeping me supplied with cranberry juice all night. When Miss Wilson sang she dedicated the set to 'Flo' - God, I had a lump in my throat....all in all, it was supremely surreal for me to have Motown at the Museum - my two loves - soul and art - Detroit & the V&A....it was like the homecoming - a great night only to be marred by Barcelona Belly. But that's all my fault for caning it at another wild weekend at the Boilerhouse (with Alan H luring me off the straight and narrow) which involved the Fabulous Playboys, Floyd Newman and a host of others....must remember to take the liver salts next time laugh.gif Won't forget Mary in a long time. Jo

Social source share

Mary Wilson of the Supremes did a great interview last night at the Victoria & Albert Museum with Channel 4's (and Soul Source regular) Stuart Cosgrove expertly chairing the proceedings with some intelligent questions and knowledgeable anecdotes.

Ms Wilson was in fine form with some great insights into the machinery of Motown and the evolvement of the Supremes before she climaxed the proceedings with a brilliant acappella song to a standing ovation!

Also some great coverage generally including a pic in the Evening Standard and most of the freebie papers. A great job all round IMO.

Many thanks to Jo Wallace for getting me down there (I owe you one Jo). Had a great night and good to see Stuart again with the ravishing Mrs Cosgrove.

There must have been a bunch of Soul Sourcers down there last night, so who else was there?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Hi Ian

I took my 14 year old daughter to see Mary last night (thanks for the tickets Jo - hope you are feeling better) and we both enjoyed listening to her story. My daughter thought that the introduction from Stuart gave her a good understanding of what Mary was about (after watching all the 60`s videos of the Supremes on youtube that she could find on Monday night!!).

I thought Stuart was an inspired choice to chair the evening as his knowledge of Motown, Detroit and the northern scene allowed him to manage the conversation skillfully without ever putting Mary under any pressure regarding some of the more controversial issues such as money and treatment of Flo which she discussed freely and at some length.

The only disappointment for us was that an hour was not enough to hear about someone with such an interesting story to tell.

We got home in time to catch the interview with Jools Holland and thought the BBC missed an opportunity to give her a chance to sing live given the artists who did perform were (in my humble biased opinion) quite frankly, garbage.

Cheers

Charlie

Social source share

Guest MonkeyMod

I went and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Slightly disappointing it had to be kept to the hour as I'm sure Mary coulda spoke til the cows come home (fair enough why though). Stuart did an excellent job in keeping her on track due to the time constraints.

Most enjoyable. Now need to get along to the exhibition itself.

Social source share

Yes, made the trip down to London to the Victoria and Albert Museum to meet Mary Wilson. I thought the interview went very well and really enjoyed it. I understand people saying an hour is not enough, that two hours would not have been enough either. It was just great sitting there and listening to her opinions on the music and the people she worked with within the scene. She did look very good for her age as does most of the Motown stars. Great sense of humour she had very witty comments. Still made a good night out in London, a few beers before and after and made an extremely memorable evening! But the song at the end, pure class. She can still sing a tune.

Charlie Mc

Social source share

Great evening at the V&A lecture theatre. Shame Mary couldn't stay longer than an hour. Just waiting outside afterwards and she's standing on the pavement behind me waiting to get into a taxi if only I'd been quicker could has got the signature on my Supremes sheet music. Like Monkey just need to go and see the exhibition now.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!