BERTHA TILLMAN "OH MY ANGEL" UK DEMO

Been playing this wierd doo-wop/soul oddity as a closer for a while now (after pinching the idea from a DJ in the back room of a Nottingham pub a few Christmases back).

The US issues on BRENT are in abundance, so its not a rare record. In fact, it must have been a massive hit at some point, because there are golden oldie re-issues in the states.

I've only ever seen one other UK demo, though.

Good old ORIOLE

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hmmm,

On your recommendation I've just ordered a copy on Brent from the States for $15. I'm sure I'll like it, also from what I've heard a few friends saying about it.

I do believe this was a Billboard Top 100 hit in 1962. Mind you, so was "If I Could Only Be Sure" by Nolan Porter some 10 years later, but, hey, soul doesn't necessarily have to be rare to be good, does it??

Gene

Social source share

Kevin,

Yep - sure is a demo. In fact, the silver "A" on the centre is the only distinguishing mark between an Oriole demo and a stock copy.

Interesting - all these Oriole rarities that crop up with no centre; makes you wonder whether they were issues or demos to begin with!!

Gene

Social source share

Thanks for that Gene, I knew that my copy was from a radio station so I suspected that it was a demo but it's nice to get confirmation.

As the demo marking is a relatively insignificant one on Oriole 45's I wonder if that affects their value over the value of stock copies, do you have any idea of the value of the 'Bertha Tillman'. I think i've seen the stock copy listed at £50 in the 'record collector' guide.

By the way "Oh my angel" was issued on one of the Kent 'Birth of Soul' CD's, I think it was volume 1.

Social source share

Good question Kevin - does the silver "A" affect the demo value over Oriole stock copies? At a guess, I would say only on the Motown (Oriole-American) releases, simply because of what they are. In general, I don't think there would be a difference in price since an Oriole demo is no more colourful than a normal stock copy.

Valuewise, with regard to Bertha Tillman, I would guess that RC's quote of £50 would be correct. Given a few more plays, I guess that could probably push it into the three-figures!!

Gene

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!