Shoes (oh Lord Shoes)

• Replies 39
  • Views 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

That advertisement takes me back. I had a pair of the 102 and 104 styles. They were the biz. I well remember ordering them from a public telephone box and it kept swallowing my 10ps like they were going out of fashion. Great memories. Thanks for posting.

Social source share

Before I had these type of shoe our gang use to wear a Frank Wright made shoe. We use to call them "comoes".They were fantastic for dancing in and dead stylish for the time. (1974). With a pair of Fleming denims (28inch wide) well faded from Walton Road in Liverpool we really thought we were the dogs knacks.

Social source share

If you had a pair of those multi shaded/cross over (Style 102) hoofs, you really were the boy. Red cherries for me, Im afraid, Army stores specials.

Edpost-1473-1211211709_thumb.jpg

How about you lot

Ed

We wore the multi coloured Italian Solatio shoes, bought from Image, Nott'm, in the early 70s. Cost about a couple weeks wages back then, i believe you can still buy them today.

Chris

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

We wore the multi coloured Italian Solatio shoes, bought from Image, Nott'm, in the early 70s. Cost about a couple weeks wages back then, i believe you can still buy them today.

Chris

I stuck with my Bostons while others wore Polys and Nature Treks.

Social source share

Chris

check out the icon website, also warrior clothing are still selling them called zodiac now I think

Social source share

Guest toby

Cherry Red DMs for day wear (knocking about boots)..

Black Monkey boots for certain venues in west London(had to look the part)..

Oxblood loafers (non Tassles).....&........Tassled Brown Loafers(added black polish on them to give them a little bit of class)..

The Loafers above were for dancing in,nice leather soles blakeys on the heels......very cool in the day(way way back then)..

Black Royals (purchased from the Ivy shop richmond) for pulling etc,they used to look great with original 501s red tab slightly faded 3/4 inch turn up showing the blue rib......the dog nuts..

You just had to have the right kind of footwear,if not you were not a proper soul boy in West london in the early 70s(very early 70s)..

I remember the "Hot Pot" in Earls Court as being the place to go for the best Soul played,and boy did these soul boys look the part,i f***ed up a pair of Royals once on my Scooter,using my feet as a braking system (couldnt afford the new brakes).....gutted i was

You can still buy Loafers from Loake they have a mail order site,or they tell me these days of a place in Stanstead Abbotts (nr Bishops Stortford)M11 area,that still sell all the old stuff from way back,im certain that Taffy on here SS knows where the shop is,ill ask him next time i see him..

happy memories

Toby.

Social source share

Still got the blues & soul mags with this advert in..ha. nice one. :) think i brought most of my shoes for souling in from how local leic, irish menswear.. Look just like the ones in this advert. We called them, Crossovers.. :) . had a few pair.. and had skegs in them too.. :thumbsup: Wish id not chucked um out now... as still had some life in them.. BUT as went into the jazz funk type thing, it was good old, Kung Fu , or Slip on shoes.. :ohmy: how bad they were, looking back..ha.....Now its most of my old worn in ones, that i can keep dancing in, for about 5 hrs... um.. Keep my loafers, loakes, barkers...etc for best..ha.......But one day, will be about ready to wear them out for dancing... Dont like wearing the best ones out, at the min.. :D And got lots of leather shoes to pick from... As you already know Once you have a cumfy pair , you,re best to stick with them.. Shame to spoil a good soul nite, wearing the tight, or wrong ones.. ha martyn

Social source share

Guest little glyn

Before I had these type of shoe our gang use to wear a Frank Wright made shoe. We use to call them "comoes".They were fantastic for dancing in and dead stylish for the time. (1974). With a pair of Fleming denims (28inch wide) well faded from Walton Road in Liverpool we really thought we were the dogs knacks.

many thanks for reminding me about "comoes" god you thought you were the dogs bollocks if you had a pair.i can also remember trying to find this tiny shop which i thought was on the scottie rd to buy some flemings tiny place every size and leg length all available from the back of the shop and going back to n.wales with a massive grin. :thumbsup::ohmy::)

Edited by little glyn
Social source share

Shoe fetish!!!

Brouges for me ............ my original 60s skinhead "Royals" !!

Its quite hard to get immaculate vintage clothes and shoes these days, but well worth the searching IMO - and they go really well with the levis and the Lambretta. Always a smart and stylish look !

post-6465-1211272324_thumb.jpg

Social source share

many thanks for reminding me about "comoes" god you thought you were the dogs bollocks if you had a pair.i can also remember trying to find this tiny shop which i thought was on the scottie rd to buy some flemings tiny place every size and leg length all available from the back of the shop and going back to n.wales with a massive grin. :huh::g::P

You are correct my friend, my apologies, it was Scotland Road. I knew it was Scotland Road when I typed in Walton Road. Duh, my brain hurts.

Social source share

Brogue, Royal, Loafer.

Still wear all of the above :shades: Heyup.. gav, my old mate.. thought you,d have worn sandles in the summer.. or even crocs.. ha. hope to meet up sometime.. been ages.. Still playing your.. r e p then ?? always a good track for me to show of to.. ha.mart

Social source share

If you had a pair of those multi shaded/cross over (Style 102) hoofs, you really were the boy. Red cherries for me, Im afraid, Army stores specials.

How about you lot

Ed

Started of as a "plain caps" guy then moved onto loafers, funnilly enough I wear brogues and plain caps to the office nowadays and bought a pair of laofers in the US a couple of years ago.

However at the tneder age of 17 there was ONLY ONE PLACE on this planet to buy plain caps

that was the Ivy Shop in Richmond, loafers were bought at Quincy's don't you know. Both

shops in Richmond, Sy.

Incredibly the legacy remains....................read this..........................

https://j.simons.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/index.jhtml

:shades:

Chris L

Social source share

Started of as a "plain caps" guy then moved onto loafers, funnilly enough I wear brogues and plain caps to the office nowadays and bought a pair of laofers in the US a couple of years ago.

However at the tneder age of 17 there was ONLY ONE PLACE on this planet to buy plain caps

that was the Ivy Shop in Richmond, loafers were bought at Quincy's don't you know. Both

shops in Richmond, Sy.

I also loved shopping at the Ivy Shop...been wearing plain caps for nearly 40 years :D and I bought meself a pair of brogues yesterday ($99.00 mail order....can't beat it).

I still wear leather soled loafers for dancing...on the rare ocaissions that I get out...and I slipped on the carpet and fell flat on me arse the last time I was out...much to the amusement of everyone watching :D

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

I liked Clark,s Wayfinders with a compass in the heel for when i got lost on my way home from school!!They also had animal tracks on the soles and when it snowed i spent ages looking for Leopards and elephants in North Yorkshire in 1968!!!!

Tony Coleby

Social source share

I did have a pair of cherry red loafers but for nights I didn't like slipons as there was a danger of them coming off e.g. in case of having to run (which seemed to occur sometimes in those days....) so it was generally the brogues although I also remember plain black leather soled shoes called I think Gibsons (?) which were good for dancing. These days I wear Vans trainers which are about 20x more comfortable and they seem fine for dancing - unless you want to do spins which I can't do anyway because it makes me dizzy (esp after a couple of beers).

Social source share

Still wear my brogues as easier to dance in.Never tried dancing in my Vans.Must give it a go one night.Think you'd need bit of talc tho'.

Dave.

I'm no expert but I guess it depends on the floor, e.g. was at Broad Lane where there is a great wooden floor and I don't think any talc and they glided about nicely and most other place I have been they are fine. It probably also depends on your style of dancing (mine probably looks better inside my head than it does to anyone else......).

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Shoe fetish!!!

Brouges for me ............ my original 60s skinhead "Royals" !!

Its quite hard to get immaculate vintage clothes and shoes these days, but well worth the searching IMO - and they go really well with the levis and the Lambretta. Always a smart and stylish look !

post-6465-1211272324_thumb.jpg

I had a pair exactly like those C.1970/71 - worn with thick red (woollen) socks! :lol:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hehe you men are worse than us women! I thought I was bad with my shoe obsession! :lol:

Maybe - but usually only a few pairs of shoes are sufficient for us guys, not hundreds...! (unlike records) :lol:

Social source share

I had a pair exactly like those C.1970/71 - worn with thick red (woollen) socks! :)

I WAS NOT EVEN BORN THEN !! :unsure: red socks and matching pocket hankerchief !!!!!

Social source share

How about you lot

Ed

Still got the 102 style, bit tight now though

Social source share

bought multi coloured solatios from "eddies" in wolves opposite kfc can tou still buy these??

Edited by wolvessoulboy
Social source share

Brogue, Royal, Loafer.

Still wear all of the above :)

Me too, good taste never goes out of fashion :) ....who do I know from LB....John Turner and Bob Cosby....Black Horse days....very good M8 of mine, John 'Chopper' Harris was a door minder on occasion at Unicorn, well before the Allnighter sessions though :lol:

Social source share

Guest kerby

bought multi coloured solatios from "eddies" in wolves opposite kfc can tou still buy these??

I GOT MINE FROM LANES IN KINGSWINFORD, TOOK THEM STRAIGHT DOWN THE COBBLERS AND GOT THEM TIPPED & TAPPED :( LATER I WENT ONTO CLARKS POLYVELDTS ( BANANA BOATS ) I STILL WEAR CLARKS NOW IN A SIMILAR STYLE .

MART ( KERBY ) P.S WILL ASK WULFIE THE SHOP NAME HE GOT HIS SOLATIO LOOKALIKES FROM IN WOLVO . :thumbsup:

MART ( KERBY )

Social source share

How about you lot

Ed

yeah..ditto red cherries for me too...but with the white socks enhancements!.as long as you polished them un shod..so to speak..lilly white socks ruled.

Social source share

I GOT MINE FROM LANES IN KINGSWINFORD, TOOK THEM STRAIGHT DOWN THE COBBLERS AND GOT THEM TIPPED & TAPPED :( LATER I WENT ONTO CLARKS POLYVELDTS ( BANANA BOATS ) I STILL WEAR CLARKS NOW IN A SIMILAR STYLE .

MART ( KERBY ) P.S WILL ASK WULFIE THE SHOP NAME HE GOT HIS SOLATIO LOOKALIKES FROM IN WOLVO . :thumbsup:

MART ( KERBY )

'FAITH' were in Wolverhampton (and Birmingham), had some great styles in the 70's. Went all mainstream & predictable late 70's or early 80's.

Social source share

many thanks for reminding me about "comoes" god you thought you were the dogs bollocks if you had a pair.i can also remember trying to find this tiny shop which i thought was on the scottie rd to buy some flemings tiny place every size and leg length all available from the back of the shop and going back to n.wales with a massive grin. :wicked::shades::huh:

back in 73/74 we had a shop in Skegness called 'Blue Serge'.We stocked the Frank Wright shoes & I had a pair of the blue/black with diagonal pattern, I called 'em diamonds & the name stuck. Anyone remember the 'dragonette' t shirts/vests from '74? don't suppose anyone has one, or a decent pic?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!