Timebox - Beggin'

damn my expensive taste!.. spent two days excited b'cos I'd found a new tune I didn't know but loved

upon hearing (well it's new to me anyway!)..

but I found one...it's up at £50.. :-(

Does anyone know anything about this tune? why haven't I heard it before?..

Is £50 a good price, usual questions etc...

any info appreciated..

Jayne.x. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

damn my expensive taste!.. spent two days excited b'cos I'd found a new tune I didn't know but loved

any info appreciated..

Jayne.x. :)

Excellent tune Jayne!! :thumbsup: But i would,nt give any where near 50 quid for it :ohmy: think i got my copy for around 25 :)

JB xxxKTFxxx

Social source share

out and out mod tune , be really surprised to hear it at a soul do

well I'm sure it's going to get played at Bury...should I actually get my hands on one!.

Thanks

Social source share

any info appreciated..

re-issued a couple of years ago so should be available for around £10. £50 seems a bit on the high side for an original, one on musicstack for £35, you might check out the frankie valli version which is very good too

kev

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

Excellent tune Jayne!! :ohmy: But i would,nt give any where near 50 quid for it :) think i got my copy for around 25 :)

JB xxxKTFxxx

Cheers m'dear...

yep, glad I asked...you're not the first to say that..

Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

re-issued a couple of years ago so should be available for around £10. £50 seems a bit on the high side for an original one on musicstack for £35 you might check out the frankie valli version which is very good too

kev

yeh, I've just found the frankie valli version on you tube. :thumbsup:

(and google brings up the the thread about this from last year oops :ohmy: )

Jayne.

Social source share

Guest Simon

Use to pick these & Flirtations (Heartache) up for 50 pence a pop 5 - 10 years ago at Record Fairs, they seemed to have dried up a bit now, well at that price they have anyway.

It's also on the Decca album 'World of hits - Vol 3', superb tune & i'd personally be more than happy to hear it played at an NS do, really nice record to dance to!

Simon

Social source share

Use to pick these & Flirtations (Heartache) up for 50 pence a pop 5 - 10 years ago at Record Fairs, they seemed to have dried up a bit now, well at that price they have anyway.

It's also on the Decca album 'World of hits - Vol 3', superb tune & i'd personally be more than happy to hear it played at an NS do, really nice record to dance to!

Simon

Thanks for that. I didn't know I had it on vinyl. It's a big tune in retro clubs which is what you have when there's not enough mods to support a mod night. The popular Frankie Valli remix meant other versions were dug out

Social source share

am very surprised that there's anyone into 60s music that hasn't heard it! booted several times, and on loads of compilations. one of the very best UK soul records IMO, incredible track even though i've heard it far too often

Ah..well, I've asked 6 well known DJ's about it and non of them know it.. Hmm.

Thanks for info guys.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Simon

I've got that, love the tune! Have only ever heard it played when Ganche plays it though! Oh & i was at a company ball in April & the DJ played it there! :thumbsup: The DJ was Norman J though & after googling his playlist it's in his top 20!

Social source share

Ah..well, I've asked 6 well known DJ's about it and non of them know it.. Hmm.

Thanks for info guys.

Jayne.x.

C'mon Jayne, give us a clue on the 6 DJ's that don't know this track, not for one minute disputing your word but really find this hard to believe!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Unless they are all under 30 :thumbsup:

Pete

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

C'mon Jayne, give us a clue on the 6 DJ's that don't know this track, not for one minute disputing your word but really find this hard to believe!!!!!! :lol:

Unless they are all under 30 :thumbsup:

Pete

6 well known DJ's under 30? no.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

timebox

Ive had my copy since I was about 14 - Its got the center dinked and its a has a little crackle at the start - and I still love it - I have always kept it!

It was a big tune in the 80s on the Mod scene - still brings the 80s back for me when I play it !

post-6465-1211276964_thumb.jpg

Social source share

that kind of implies it's well known then if he plays it! :thumbsup:

here's their other releases:

https://www.pattofan.com/Timebox/tb_singles.htm

am trying to find an article or interview i read about them, as usual they were messed about by UK record companies, hence the release of novelty stuff like 'Baked Jam Roll In Your Eye'...

I don't think that's really a novelty record apart from the daft lyrics and title, it's a typical period pyschedelic/whimsy/toytown pop record. They did a great version of "Soul Sauce" though. And a cover of "I'll Always Love You"

Social source share

C'mon Jayne, give us a clue on the 6 DJ's that don't know this track, not for one minute disputing your word but really find this hard to believe!!!!!! :g:

Unless they are all under 30 :huh:

Pete

Not a chance!.. nearly asked you actually.. have you got one?.. you could play it at Bury in june!... :P

One of them is of course under 30... and we'll let him off as he's virtually gone over to the 'dark side' playing all that modun soul..

and that's all you're getting..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Not a chance!.. nearly asked you actually.. have you got one?.. you could play it at Bury in june!... :huh:

One of them is of course under 30... and we'll let him off as he's virtually gone over to the 'dark side' playing all that modun soul..

Jayne.x.

Jayne, playing this out is the equivalent to playing Theres A Ghost In My House or Out On The Floor. Not that there's anything wrong with them mind...

Social source share

This got in the lower reaches of the Top 40 so why it should cost anything over £25 is a bit of a mystery - can clearly remember hearing it on radio 1 when I was about 8. Great record though.

funnily enough it was Radio 2 where I first heard it. Mark Lamarr played it on saturday night. I was just getting out of the car and I switched the radio back on. It's rare that a tune keeps me sat in the car at 2am on a sunday morning when I'm out on my own but glad it did.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Jayne, playing this out is the equivalent to playing Theres A Ghost In My House or Out On The Floor. Not that there's anything wrong with them mind...

I care not, it's a million times better....we'll let DJ's off for playing this at Bury..especially if I request it and they dont play it on a re-release!. :g:

It would certainly qualify to be played in Andre Minta's room upstairs too. :huh:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

It's a moot point but I would have to disagree with you that it's a better record than either of those two..

ermmm.. I'm working on the basis that this one made me keep the radio on and stayed in my head - although I dont mind either of the other two, they certainly didn't have the same effect when I first heard them...

yep, nothing to do with production or sound of the record, how I'm rating records these days depends on the effects it has on me upon first hearing it! (very technical or what! lol) :huh:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

ermmm.. I'm working on the basis that this one made me keep the radio on and stayed in my head - although I dont mind either of the other two, they certainly didn't have the same effect when I first heard them...

yep, nothing to do with production or sound of the record, how I'm rating records these days depends on the effects it has on me upon first hearing it! (very technical or what! lol) :huh:

Jayne.x.

Great record Jayne, would and should be played at Soul events!!.. good luck getting a copy i'm sure one will turn up soon...

L

Social source share

Not a chance!.. nearly asked you actually.. have you got one?.. you could play it at Bury in june!... :huh:

Jayne.x.

Yes i have one, and no i won't :g:

Pete

Social source share

Guest Simon

It's a moot point but I would have to disagree with you that it's a better record than either of those two..

It's deffo not better than "There's a ghost in my house" imho, one of my fave records of all time!

Simon

Social source share

Great record Jayne, would and should be played at Soul events!!.. good luck getting a copy i'm sure one will turn up soon...

L

Thanks - it's looking good... I just love soul source!

Jayne.x. :huh:

Social source share

Yes i have one, and no i won't :g:

Pete

You're joking???.. the one person I didn't ask.. :huh:

right, running order's underway for the next Bury.

7.30 - 8pm Pete eccles

8.00 - 8.03pm ME!

:P

Social source share

It's deffo not better than "There's a ghost in my house" imho, one of my fave records of all time!

Simon

I guess it's impossible to say one record's better than another because when you start bringing sentiments and memories into it, certain records

mean the world to you.

(Says the girl who's going to be late to the next niter at Bury because she's going to see Def Leppard and Whitesnake enroute!!).

Jayne.x.

Social source share

You're joking???.. the one person I didn't ask.. :huh:

right, running order's underway for the next Bury.

7.30 - 8pm Pete eccles

8.00 - 8.03pm ME!

Sounds about right :g:

Prefer Mr Vallie's version anyway, but that's only my opinion on something that's been done to death anyway (topic and tune)

:huh:

Social source share

Sounds about right :huh:

Prefer Mr Vallie's version anyway, but that's only my opinion on something that's been done to death anyway (topic and tune)

Might have been done to death for you but then you had a 40 year head start on me!!.... :g:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Rob Glover

Why would you be surprised to hear it at a soul do??? :huh: I have played it, and heard it played a few times before too. :g:

JB xxxKTFxxx

Agreed, it's a stunning British Soul version.

Also worth checking out Timebox's version of "I'll always love you" got mine for £10 about 5 years ago.

Social source share

Agreed, it's a stunning British Soul version.

Also worth checking out Timebox's version of "I'll always love you" got mine for £10 about 5 years ago.

Cheers Rob - I will do.

I'll have a nosey about when I get home. :huh:

Thanks

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Rob Glover

Cheers Rob - I will do.

I'll have a nosey about when I get home. :huh:

Thanks

Jayne.x.

Hey Jayne no proble.

I'll dig out a scan and get the MP3 posted up as well so you can have a listen.

x

Social source share

Guest Simon

(Says the girl who's going to be late to the next niter at Bury because she's going to see Def Leppard and Whitesnake enroute!!).

Jayne.x.

I wouldn't worry about that Jayne, i'm going to see Sparks tonight (for the second time in 3 days)!!

Simon :huh::g:

Edited by Simon
Social source share

Hey Jayne no proble.

I'll dig out a scan and get the MP3 posted up as well so you can have a listen.

x

That'd be super - Thanks Rob. :huh:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Timebox - Beggin - was a big record mid to late 70s,played by Steve Croft at Rotherham Assembly rooms and Clifton Hall on Thursday nights.Huge floor filler at the time.

now that doesn't surprise me because most of the stuff I like seems to have been played at Rotherham or Clifton Hall.... I've had comp tapes that people have done for me of tunes that I'm told were sounds from these venue's and I reckon I'd have really like both places.. :huh:

Thanks

Jayne.x.

Social source share

I'd expect to hear it at a "soul and motown" night

why? it sounds more 'northern' to me than 'motownish'.. although it is several hours since I last heard it..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

I wouldn't worry about that Jayne, i'm going to see Sparks tonight (for the second time in 3 days)!!

Simon :g::P

sorry Simon - who are sparks?... :huh:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

why? it sounds more 'northern' to me than 'motownish'.. although it is several hours since I last heard it..

Jayne.x.

I play regularly at a 'local' soul and motown night, and love doing so, and would have no problem giving 'beggin' a play alongside the likes of 'breaking down the walls of heartache' 'band of gold' 'rescue me' 'shake a tail feather' etc all great tunes by the way, and all who attend have a great time,

Equally i wouldn't expect to hear 'beggin' at any upfront, rare, cutting edge type of event,

Now where it 'fits' in between is down to the opinion of the person playing the tunes, which is probably why you havn't heard it before Jayne,

And before anybody picks holes in any of the tunes i have randomly mentioned ....... it's just an opinion :huh:

Pete

Social source share

Guest Rob Glover

I play regularly at a 'local' soul and motown night, and love doing so, and would have no problem giving 'beggin' a play alongside the likes of 'breaking down the walls of heartache' 'band of gold' 'rescue me' 'shake a tail feather' etc all great tunes by the way, and all who attend have a great time,

Equally i wouldn't expect to hear 'beggin' at any upfront, rare, cutting edge type of event,

Now where it 'fits' in between is down to the opinion of the person playing the tunes, which is probably why you havn't heard it before Jayne,

And before anybody picks holes in any of the tunes i have randomly mentioned ....... it's just an opinion :ohmy:

Pete

They are all great tunes Pete regardless of age or how known they are.

If we all hosted (just) rare soul nights the venues would be tiny and the attendance would be virtually non-existant.

We might have all heard them many times in the past but there are plenty of new-breeds out there who think it's the business.

That's just my opinion by the way :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!