More Today Than Yesterday

... but is it a truth?

Yesterday belonged to the few, all financially and passionately involved, of course.

But as the kids clear out of the homes, passions are allowed once again to flourish, the money free's up, your circle of 'real' friends burgeons - the more nights spring up.

Now I do not doubt that there is quality played at any of these burgeoning events, there cannot fail to be, they are all put on by devotee's with a history.

But can these events ever cause the stir that yester years did?

Do they need to?

Do you secretly long to attend a venue thronged with the urgency that you took when the scene was run in it's apparent infancy?

Does recently acquired, quality, unplayed on the long standing Black Music scene, releases that are aired by devotees at local events make up (in message board space anyhow), for the times when the Glitteratti ruled the roost?

I miss the structure if I'm honest.

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

... but is it a truth?

Yesterday belonged to the few, all financially and passionately involved, of course.

But as the kids clear out of the homes, passions are allowed once again to flourish, the money free's up, your circle of 'real' friends burgeons - the more nights spring up.

Now I do not doubt that there is quality played at any of these burgeoning events, there cannot fail to be, they are all put on by devotee's with a history.

But can these events ever cause the stir that yester years did?

Do they need to?

Do you secretly long to attend a venue thronged with the urgency that you took when the scene was run in it's apparent infancy?

Does recently acquired, quality, unplayed on the long standing Black Music scene, releases that are aired by devotees at local events make up (in message board space anyhow), for the times when the Glitteratti ruled the roost?

I miss the structure if I'm honest.

Barry, I've been in and out the soul scene for forty years, just got back into it seriously the last 12 year's.

The venue's that do it for me as highlighted above are.

Burnley alnighter, run by Phil, a pure devotee of 60's music, with quality dj's that has the place just buzzing, just like the old venue's did.

Barnsley alnighter, run by two people who have just got into the scene a few year's ago, they are both only 21 year's old and are so dedicated to the scene, with so much enthusiasm which comes across on the night.

Both of these venue's stand out in a big way IMHO.

If you hav'nt been, give them a go. They both make me feel good like I used to many years ago. I hope it does it for you as well.

Willie

Edited by Soulgrit
Social source share

Theres always a record that turns up that for whatever reason Ive not heard before and I think wow, just like 30 odd years ago (OK there was more wows then than now).

Its also a time now where tha age range at a typical soul night is wider than ever and therefore a bigger range of preferences.

You get out what you put in. If you are doing 3 local soul nights/events a week, its going to be hard to keep it fresh.

Maybe the answer is to travel far and wide. Oh I remember just like 30 odd years ago!!!!

Ed

Social source share

I could never hope to scale the heights I scaled back in 1976. But thankfully, the community thing is still there, alive & kicking. There's nothing better for me than combining my passion for this music with travel, even if it's within the confines of my adopted country, Spain. Soul + gastronomy. The Right Combination! I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but that's the way I like to live it these days.

Social source share

Barry, I've been in and out the soul scene for forty years, just got back into it seriously the last 12 year's.

The venue's that do it for me as highlighted above are.

Burnley alnighter, run by Phil, a pure devotee of 60's music, with quality dj's that has the place just buzzing, just like the old venue's did.

Barnsley alnighter, run by two people who have just got into the scene a few year's ago, they are both only 21 year's old and are so dedicated to the scene, with so much enthusiasm which comes across on the night.

Both of these venue's stand out in a big way IMHO.

If you hav'nt been, give them a go. They both make me feel good like I used to many years ago. I hope it does it for you as well.

Willie

Thanks Willie, that is the kind of answer that look for when I set my sometimes mis-interprated questions - a simple straight and informative view.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!