Emile Griffith Vs. The Determinations

Got a copy of Emile Griffith- Goin Goin Gone on TRC a while back, and I just found out today that it's the same exact song as The Determinations- You Can't Hold On To Love. Which record came first? The Determinations version is quite a bit rarer, right?

Think I like the Emile Griffith version better...sounds more solid to me.

Edited by Souleful
Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Got a copy of Emile Griffith- Goin Goin Gone on TRC a while back, and I just found out today that it's the same exact song as The Determinations- You Can't Hold On To Love. Which record came first? The Determinations version is quite a bit rarer, right?

determinations is considerably rarer, dont know which came first, however, i have always wondered if this is the same emile griffith who was world middleweight champion during the sixties ???? can anyone confirm

Social source share

The Determinations is the original release, Emile Griffiths is a few years later.

I have both in my collection, but think the Determinations original is easily the best version as it is a more polished and soulful male group sound/dancer.

Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest Dave Turner

determinations is considerably rarer, dont know which came first, however, i have always wondered if this is the same emile griffith who was world middleweight champion during the sixties ???? can anyone confirm

Yeah, same guy. Lot of his fights on Youtube. Also there is this --

https://www.ringmemorabilia.com/more_emile.htm

From wikipedia - Tragic

In 1992, Griffith was viciously beaten and almost killed on a New York City street, after leaving a gay bar. Today, Griffith requires full time care and suffers from Pugilistic Dementia. Griffith admits that he has had nightmares for forty years about the tragic bout and still feels tremendous guilt over the death of Benny Paret. In the last scene of Ring Of Fire, Griffith was introduced to Benny Paret's son. The son embraced the elderly fighter and told him he was forgiven. However, Paret's widow Lucy could not bring herself to meet him.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert