The 'brit' Britannia, Nottingham

please post past 'Brit' (The Britannia, Nottingham) DJ's or if you DJ'd there please let us know.......

we remember Gary Rushbrooke ?

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Byrney

please post past 'Brit' (The Britannia, Nottingham) DJ's or if you DJ'd there please let us know.......

Rob Smith, John Poole

Social source share

Rob Smith, John Poole

There was also Nev Wherry & Andy Lee , but I seem to remember that a certain KAR did the odd spot ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

The late great Derrek Allen ! God bless his soul :wicked:

Also Mick Boyle and Glynn Sissons ! and still taking bookings !

Social source share

Rob Smith, John Poole

:lol:THANKS FOR THAT............... WE WERE TALKING TO JOHN ABOUT THE BRIT AT 'THE SHED' THE OTHER WEEK......................... AND HOW CAN WE FORGET ROB..... HE FORGETS HIMSELF HALF OF THE TIME......................... LOL...........

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I used to be very regular at The Brit '79/'80. Travelling from Loughborough practically every week. A great way to start the weekend - many great nights there. Gary Rushbrooke and John Poole were the regulars when I started going. Occasional spots from Chris Fletcher? Some excellent nights when Richard guested. Steve Phyllis was a regular there in the early - mid 80s I reckon? (along with Rob Smith)

Social source share

I used to be very regular at The Brit '79/'80. Travelling from Loughborough practically every week. A great way to start the weekend - many great nights there. Gary Rushbrooke and John Poole were the regulars when I started going. Occasional spots from Chris Fletcher? Some excellent nights when Richard guested. Steve Phyllis was a regular there in the early - mid 80s I reckon? (along with Rob Smith)

Think Andy Lee , went onto more , jazzy, funkier things..

Social source share

Think Andy Lee , went onto more , jazzy, funkier things..

not a name that I can remember................. maybe with the Brit opening again some will get in touch..................... be nice to see some of the original DJ's from the Brit but also nice to hear what The New Breed of Brit DJ's play.................

see Events......... for more information and Albums for up to date pictures of the club...............

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest soulfullbabe

Andy Lee sadly died in a bike smash coming back from DJing at Hollywell, about 10 years ago. Still missed and thought of along with Derrek and Nev.

Other names would be :- Steve Frost Richie Broughton

Andy Murfin Kev Thomas

Nig Mayfield Rob Thomas

John Wilkinson Nev Shooter

Steve Chadwick John May

Chris Marriot Rob Wigley

Rob Marriot Brian Rae

I can remember johnathon from palaise doing a session and my childhood friend nigel mayfield as well which you have mentioned i will NEVER forget Nev Wherry what a great bloke my he rest in peace.

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

Not sure , last I heard he sold up in the mid 70's . Shame , he was a great DJ

he went to Bramcote Tech same time as John Poole,I was at Bramcote boys at the time (thicko me) laugh.gif

Bit older than me and John thoough, More your age Mak :P

Sure he always wore a Black blazer at Brit n Clee and a Blue Crombie while on duty in The Trent End Sat Afternoons :yes:

Regards

Paul

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Some one has mentioned Nev Wherry,what a top man sadly died but I will never forget the lad,has anyone got a photo of Nev..Please, Graham.

Nev was a top man ; sadly missed ........

He always did a sterling job when DJing for me at the Wakefield Unity all - nighters in 1977 .

Malc Burton

post-5097-1226778006_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Some one has mentioned Nev Wherry,what a top man sadly died but I will never forget the lad,has anyone got a photo of Nev..Please, Graham.

At 0.55 Nev squeezing in the doors at Wigan

Social source share

At 0.55 Nev squeezing in the doors at Wigan

oh me gawd yes. he was a nice guy, i have vivid memories of him dancing close with his wife to 'you dont love me' at a Nottm palais all dayer many many moons ago

talking of the Brit, i only ventured a couple of times, the most memorable being a coach trip to wigan in the snow, but thats another story :thumbsup:

Social source share

Rob Smith, John Poole

i went to the brit circa 1977-79 i am from chesterfield we used to call there on our way to coalville,peterbourgh and some time even wigan allthough it was in the wronge direction can not remember any of the djs just remember that it as areal good crowd in there spike chestefield

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Crikey, I got a mention! Thanks for that...

Andy's passing was very sad, a genuinely good man if ever there was one. He was largely responsible for getting it off the ground again in the late 80's/90's, along with John P.

As for Denny, he was an awesome dj, and did sell up (and because of his sensible pricing I bought most of them!). last time i saw him he was a DHSS fraud investigator - and he loved it! One of the most intelligent people I ever met on the scene, and one of the most determined to break "new" stuff I ever encountered. I remember him playing Bobby Jason to a completely empty floor, and then announcing he was going to keep playing it until someone danced to it! Needless to say someone got out there a bit sharpish.

Gary R was/is legend, and rightly so, he lives near Barnsley these days. He once called in at my office to meet me for lunch, and the receptionist (Mel was her name) said "didn't you used to be Gary Rushbrooke?" one of the funiest things I ever heard, left him highly amused - I bought quite a few of his records when he sold up too!

As an aside, the Brit was for me (as it was for many local lads and lasses) the first place I heard proper northern soul. For me it was christmas '71, my older brother and his mates (who weren't even "in to" northern snuck me in because it was just a cool place to go - the rest as they say....

Very best wishes to all who might know me,

Richard Broughton

ps If you read this Robin S, lost your letter and therefore your address, there wil be something in the post real soon though.

Social source share

my dad used to go to the brit from 1969 -1973. he said he used to go there with the kinoulton crowd. his scooter was known as the flying bedstead,lol. he said he cant remember any particular djs sadly, and he cant remember wether edwin starr appeared there once or it might have been the union. he was telling me loads of little stories about the place, it was really interesting. he then proceeded to put some tunes on and started backdropping etc in the kitchen, lol. i never realised he was still that agile :D

he said he still has his old membership card kicking about somewhere at home.

Edited by bag full of soul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!