80s Modern Soul Track Id Needed

• Replies 71
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

fokk! what an amazing choon!!! but the dj is awesome as well!!! need him for a dj gig in my city...any contact info??? that's soul, isn't it fellaz??? wow ... thanks for the link, mate!!!

this dude is my new creator...cause he got a masterplan (in this bar in the middle of nowhere)!

Social source share

Sounds a bit like Mel Waiters "Got my whisky" in parts.

Agreed - sounds alike but not the tune - ta anyways - anybody else fancy a crack?

M

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Agreed - sounds alike but not the tune - ta anyways - anybody else fancy a crack?

M

Anybody - it's a fresh new day - raining out there - somebody must know it....definitely 80s, very likely an indie - any more clues?

M

Social source share

Matt's posted the clip on EMS, Mark, so the boffins on there will no doubt be on the case later. I'm certain I have this on an album somewhere but the vocalist is evading me at the moment, I though of someone like Jesse Graham or J. Blackfoot or Mel Waiters (as already suggested). Sounds like it's a mid/late 90s CD album track.

I'd have thought this would be something that the likes of Sean Hampsey would recognise instantly?

Roger

Social source share

no info about this choon he is spinning in the clip...but give me a couple of weeks, will dig for this fokkin choon...

but some info about this clip...

"Stumbled upon this Taj Mahal of a juke joint in the small town of Hollandale, MS, a rural community outside Rolling Fork, MS, the hometown of Muddy Waters.

Decorated from end to end and ceiling to floor, this juke was the love child of an elderly couple who lived all their lives in the town."

Social source share

The search continues - by Gad - and to think they used to pay talentless mu**ets like Sasha, Boy George and the like £10K to gig on NYE back in the boom days of clubbing - I bet this fella would play all nite for a bottle of moonshine and the love of a good/bad woman - and do a better job....sigh...

MRez

Social source share

There's a tune called "Home To You" on a Dan Carey album from 2001 which it might be. The preview clips I've found have only got the 30 second spoken intro so I don't know for sure

Anyway, it's here:

https://cdbaby.com/cd/dancarey

But you have to download the entire album. :lol:

Each track can however be downloaded at eMusic, but I don't have an account with them:

https://www.emusic.com/album/Dan-Carey-My-S...d/10846818.html

Can anyone else download it and see if it's the right tune? :lol:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

There's a tune called "Home To You" on a Dan Carey album from 2001 which it might be. The preview clips I've found have only got the 30 second spoken intro so I don't know for sure

Anyway, it's here:

But you have to download the entire album. :lol:

Each track can however be downloaded at eMusic, but I don't have an account with them:

Struggling to find a proper clip Seb - anyone?

MRez

Social source share

Anyway, it's here:

But you have to download the entire album. :yes:

Absolutely isn't that...just used a credit up checking the whole thing - not pretty :lol:

Social source share

Absolutely isn't that...just used a credit up checking the whole thing - not pretty :lol:

Thx J - sorry about yr ears mate...

M

Social source share

If my memory serves me right - I'd need to check to verify 100% - this could be J Blackfoot "I Messed Up" from the mid 90's 'Reality' CD.

Don't think it got a vinyl release.

Just back from Memphis (where this will have been recorded - of course) or I'd have seen the thread sooner!

I'll have a dig through before the weekend - once I'm over the Jet Lag - to clarify!

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Just listened to a clip of that one, and it's sadly not it. sad.gif

Boo!

Pity that Sebastian - Sounds like it could be him to me.

Am sure I know this. Won't be able to get to my records / CD's for a few days.

Looks of this thread, its an indemander in the making!

No bad thing for a Southern tune!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Ahhhh - fer fcuks's sake - what's wrong with you people?? LOL....the collective musical muscle of this board must be sufficient to do the equivalent of splitting the atom yet we can't even ID one teensy-weensy 90s soul cut....? Sheesh...............

Anybody got access to that service where you play a track down a mobile phone and the service tells you what it is by return? Bloody good service - used it to name some VERY obscure soul/funk cuts in the past - anybody?

Well.....

MRez

Social source share

Ahhhh - fer fcuks's sake - what's wrong with you people?? LOL....the collective musical muscle of this board must be sufficient to do the equivalent of splitting the atom yet we can't even ID one teensy-weensy 90s soul cut....? Sheesh...............

Anybody got access to that service where you play a track down a mobile phone and the service tells you what it is by return? Bloody good service - used it to name some VERY obscure soul/funk cuts in the past - anybody?

Well.....

MRez

Shazam? Yeah...it's failed on this - dude's obviously rockin some raer shizzle there (soulstrut speak I believe :thumbsup: )

Social source share

Shazam? Yeah...it's failed on this - dude's obviously rockin some raer shizzle there (soulstrut speak I believe :thumbsup: )

I'm laughing out loud here J - great post - respeck.....M

Social source share

No, it's not that one Sean, that's a slowie.

Bloody Hell lads! No result yet?

I had it down for a Malaco typa thang but that's not really my area.

Bit of a mystery ay........?

If I had the title it'd help but it hasn't really got an obvious one has it? There could be several potential titles......

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Bloody Hell lads! No result yet?

I had it down for a Malaco typa thang but that's not really my area.

Bit of a mystery ay........?

If I had the title it'd help but it hasn't really got an obvious one has it? There could be several potential titles......

Ian D :thumbup:

I'm loving this thread - so good - helping me pass a dreary morning down in here in Bath...keep it coming - my money's on a result being found today..MRez

Social source share

Have checked JF 'Powerhouse' & 'Power Is Still On' WILBE CD's on t'internet. No joy either (Unless I'm deaf)

Rich

Added: Someone on Soulstrut forum mentioned Vick Allen - Checked 3 albums - Nope not him either.)

Fantastic - the plot thickens.....absolutely loving this - call yerselves soul fans? Ha ha ha...

Had a beer now so will probably get slightly lairy - sorry....

Any more for any more? MRez

Social source share

defo not him, though it does sound uncannily like him...decent albums though those two :)

Some great tracks on there - Sure I've got something by him somewhere... Whoever this fella is we're looking for I reckon he's sat at home nursing a large scotch right noe playing this tune thinking ' Damn I was SURE this track was gonna whup some ass - Folks just don't appreciate my music' walks off - kicks the cat etc etc.

If we find out who it is - I reckon it should be covered up as 'THE RAINBOW DISCO BAND Feat. Old Soulful Dude' :P

Rich

(Like Mark having a beerio or two)

Social source share

OK, I've done searches on MCPS/PRS/ASCAP & BMI databases and there's nothing for "Let Me Come Back Home To You" so I guess that's not the title dammit! ph34r.gif

Blimey, I'd be embarassed if I was a Southern Soul expert LOL! g.gif

I just know it's on Malaco, I.C.A. or one of those type of labels, but I normally hate that stuff so I don't have much of it. The stupid thing is I'm sure I should know it - it just sounds so familiar............

Ian D :D

Social source share

posted jeff floyd up the other week why not ask jocko who seemed to have a few of his cds
Is it Vick allen at the begining of the clip the dj says Doctor Vick as though he is introducing him just a thought and he is from Mississippi i think good fun though Paul.

Ps had another listen i think were looking for an artist called Vince

Edited by P5OULH
Social source share

Kinda feel guilty spoiling the fun but its willis pugh-come back baby ,Its on a cd called 2nd family of southern soul 2006...now whats my prize biggrin.gif
Same song but are you sure its the same artist backing sounds a bit sparce compared with the you tube clip has anyone else cut the track Paul.
Social source share

Guest Paul

Kinda feel guilty spoiling the fun but its willis pugh-come back baby ,Its on a cd called 2nd family of southern soul 2006...now whats my prize biggrin.gif
It's the same song, Pete, but a different version. The unidentified version is slightly faster and has a much stronger vocal and a different bass line - almost like a pitched up version of "Let's Make A Baby".

I'm almost certain I've heard it before.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

It's the same song, Pete, but a different version. The unidentified version is slightly faster and has a much stronger vocal and a different bass line - almost like a pitched up version of "Let's Make A Baby".

I'm almost certain I've heard it before.

Paul Mooney

It's not Clarence Carter from '76 on MCA is it?

There's several pages of "Come Back Baby"'s but as I say I'm not a Southern fan........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Paul

It's not Clarence Carter from '76 on MCA is it?

There's several pages of "Come Back Baby"'s but as I say I'm not a Southern fan........

Ian D :D

Hello Ian,

I don't have any writer credits for the Willis Pugh version. It could be an adaptation of an old song with a modified title or it could just be a very obscure or unissued version.

But the song and the voice still sound familiar to me so I'll keep searching. It sounds late 1990s or even more recent and almost certainly from the south.

I reckon the winner should get a new car or a luxury holiday.

:wink:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!