Northern Fashion 73/74

Patchwork jumpers , Harrington bomber jackets , Crombi overcoats (with two tone hanky in pocket), barathea jacket's (taylor made with 12 buttons up each arm)

Petrol blue parallels Friggin Tartan flat caps , penny round collar shirts

Outlets : Stolen from Ivors and Justin's in Manchester Loads of us used to send our mums shopping for us , as older lads used to hang around outside and roll anyone carrying a Stolen from Ivors bag

Ah, yes.

The Good Old Days..

T

Social source share

Fly is an old, old, friend of mine.

We grew up together, same rough old housing estate.

He was around for just a couple of years, (early Wigan & Sammys as you say).

He started a Building company in 78, with his late brother, Albert.

Good lads, both of 'em.

Lives in Dinnington and doing really well last time I saw him (a couple of years ago in a Restaurant).

Sean

..first met Alan, when I was DJing at Chuck Wagon Skegness, he arrived dressed like the bay city rollers on a scooter..he was into Elton John..after he heard the northern i played..he gradually got more into it..eventually we travelled to Wigan together, his fave sound was the velvet satins..he was always having his picture taken with friends..he had loads..not seen him for years..

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Ah, yes.

The Good Old Days..

T

The good old days indeed ,the mark of a really hard bastard in those days,wearing a sheepskin to a football match,if any of the oppostions firm was spotted wearing one everyone made a beeline for him with that magic prize of coming home from a match with a sheepskin playing in their minds(at least thats how it was round our way.
Social source share

The good old days indeed ,the mark of a really hard bastard in those days,wearing a sheepskin to a football match,if any of the oppostions firm was spotted wearing one everyone made a beeline for him with that magic prize of coming home from a match with a sheepskin playing in their minds(at least thats how it was round our way.

Sounds right :wink:

Most often quoted phrase in Salford--" Do you think you're going home in that jacket ??" :hatsoff2:

T

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Quick one though-anybody remember Patchwork shirts, not the ones that were printed "patches", but made from real patches sewn together??

Always wanted one.

And yes--did have a printed one :(

Oh, and while were at it, early 70's - polo shirts and jumpers and cardigans, the brand to be seen in was Slazenger-so much so that Salford Market did a "roaring" trade in sew 'em on yourself lion badges. :lol:

Fred Perry was so 2nd division.

Tony

Social source share

Quick one though-anybody remember Patchwork shirts, not the ones that were printed "patches", but made from real patches sewn together??

Always wanted one.

Oh, and while were at it, early 70's - polo shirts and jumpers and cardigans, the brand to be seen in was Slazenger-so much so that Salford Market did a "roaring" trade in sew 'em on yourself lion badges. :lol:

Tony

Always wanted one.

Tony

Yeah.had a real patchwork shirt, I guess about 71ish.

I think it had a round coller, penny round maybe?

Also patchwork jumper at the same time, it was just before the football zip jumpers came out.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

We had mass gatherings at TREWS the tailors in Halifax 73 onwards, trousers , jackets , waistcoats , comparing drawings of what we wanted . Also used to have coats made at Burtons :)

Made to meausure was definately the best way to go,I went to two or three different tailors all high street at the time.Nothing better than given your orders for what you want down to the last detail,never was one for loads of buttons and pockets I reckon 30 inch paras to the knee then tapering to 28 were best ,two ot three pleats each side front normal pockets and waistband were hard to beat.The taper managed to take out that flared look so many pants had at the time even though they were parallel.However on a journey back from an all nighter one time I noticed Lenny Jones kept looking over at where I was sitting with a puzzled look on his face,I was wearing a shirt and tie with a jacket at that time.When I asked him a couple of days later he said it was your tie ,it had a pocket on it with a three button flap (he had been hallucinating it as hed been up on bombers a couple of days and had had some dike that morning to chill out) and we both had a laugh about it.I wonder if with some folks love of buttons and flaps(I am not saying it was a good thing or a bad thing at the time)whether ties with front pockets and multi button down flaps on would have caught on, who knows?Maybe years later folk would have been telling of hiding their gear in their tie pockets or something like that and thats what me and Lenny joked about at the time.Not to many days later I met Lenny again up the town and we were both going to get the bus over to kettering ,he said to me can you hold my box for me while I go in and sign on(he was on bail)at the old bill station)course says I so Im standing outside the door of corby old bill station while he goes in holding a large cardboard box containing the contents of a dda cabinet, no hassle he comes out and we get the bus,bet he couldnt have fitted the contents of his cardboard box into a tie pocket.Sill see Lenny off and on now 30 odd years later and we still have a laugh about certain deeds including the wigan style tie.
Social source share

Always wanted one. And yes--did have a printed one :( Oh, and while were at it, early 70's - polo shirts and jumpers and cardigans, the brand to be seen in was Slazenger-so much so that Salford Market did a "roaring" trade in sew 'em on yourself lion badges. :lol: Fred Perry was so 2nd division.

Tony

Can people start posting pictures of all this stuff ?

post-4408-0-68872500-1335342435_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Sounds right :wink:

Most often quoted phrase in Salford--" Do you think you're going home in that jacket ??" :hatsoff2:

T

I remember the first time I went into Rowntrees in 1974 Tony - I was wearing a really smart white overcoat which I'd bought in a shop in Newcastle. Later when I got to know one of the guys in there - he told me that they had been considering jumping me for the coat lol.

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Made to meausure was definately the best way to go,I went to two or three different tailors all high street at the time.Nothing better than given your orders for what you want down to the last detail,never was one for loads of buttons and pockets I reckon 30 inch paras to the knee then tapering to 28 were best ,two ot three pleats each side front normal pockets and waistband were hard to beat.The taper managed to take out that flared look so many pants had at the time even though they were parallel.However on a journey back from an all nighter one time I noticed Lenny Jones kept looking over at where I was sitting with a puzzled look on his face,I was wearing a shirt and tie with a jacket at that time.When I asked him a couple of days later he said it was your tie ,it had a pocket on it with a three button flap (he had been hallucinating it as hed been up on bombers a couple of days and had had some dike that morning to chill out) and we both had a laugh about it.I wonder if with some folks love of buttons and flaps(I am not saying it was a good thing or a bad thing at the time)whether ties with front pockets and multi button down flaps on would have caught on, who knows?Maybe years later folk would have been telling of hiding their gear in their tie pockets or something like that and thats what me and Lenny joked about at the time.Not to many days later I met Lenny again up the town and we were both going to get the bus over to kettering ,he said to me can you hold my box for me while I go in and sign on(he was on bail)at the old bill station)course says I so Im standing outside the door of corby old bill station while he goes in holding a large cardboard box containing the contents of a dda cabinet, no hassle he comes out and we get the bus,bet he couldnt have fitted the contents of his cardboard box into a tie pocket.Sill see Lenny off and on now 30 odd years later and we still have a laugh about certain deeds including the wigan style tie.

Jeez two Manus's on here that's going to be confusing lol

All the best

Manus (Doherty)

Social source share

Can people start posting pictures of all this stuff ?

post-4408-0-68872500-1335342435_thumb.jp

Chris, mine did not have a button down coller, and was not made of linin.

The colours were not as load, more browns & beiges & dull yellows.

Having said that I would wear that shirt in your picture now, no probs.

P.S. just noticed that the shirt in photo as got a diagonal pattern, just ramdom patches on mine, lol.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Chris, mine did not have a button down collar, and was not made of linin. The colours were not as load, more browns & beiges & dull yellows.

Having said that I would wear that shirt in your picture now, no probs. P.S. just noticed that the shirt in photo as got a diagonal pattern, just ramdom patches on mine, lol.

I reckon a ploy to get Ben Sherman types to wear it :D I would wear it if my car broke down and I wanted to be sure that I was seen by other motorists........ :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Always wanted one.

Tony

Hi Tony I think the ones you were on about are the brutus ones with those penny round collars they where made up of different patches and where among the haul I mentioned earlier they were the business at the time out of our haul we dished out loads to all the lads (different shirts that is)I remember having to fight with one bloke who was ungrateful at the ones we let him choosehe wanted the one I was wearing ,a one off penny round collar with little pictures drawn on of women showing their tits(I know it sounds garish now but it was much admired and coveted then).That night at the windmill club there was about thirty odd corby lads all modelling their new shirts,patchworks ,patterns etc courtesy of a kettering shop.It was like a minor version of the film goodfellows where everyone gets a yellow cadigan from a liberated shipment.Good times,certainly,sorry you didnt get that patchwork you wanted mate me and ...... (very well known face) would of given you one free of charge.
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Tank tops and Fairisle jumpers

and does anyone remember "Navy Bags" ? They were Ex Royal Navy Flairs which had 7 creases running around the legs

(supposed to represent the 7 seas)

They were 5/- a pair from the Army and Navy surplus shop in Tib Street Manchester

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=140739829184

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

and does anyone remember "Navy Bags" ? They were Ex Royal Navy Flairs which had 7 creases running around the legs

They were 5/- a pair from the Army and Navy surplus shop in Tib Street Manchester

https://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=140739829184

Blimey, here we go....

Me mam used to buy a lot of my clothes from the Army & Navy.

Looked a right Tw*t at School dressed as a Japanese Admiral...

T

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

Yep, 'Navy pants' - got mine from Army & Navy on Stamford St, A-U-L. They weren't half itchy, though, made out of some sort of rough, but hard-wearing, wool.

What about 'football shirts'? Another Stolen from Ivor speciality. Named after American football, I think. Woollen, zip-up front, with some sort of cast 'medal' on zip pull & yolk (shoulders) in different colour to the rest.

'Prisoner' braided Baratheas, Prince of Wales Crombies & Harringtons.

The 'mod' next door to me (30ish) wears 'Lambretta' shirts & wonders why I laugh at him!

Edited by Droylsdonian
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Yep, 'Navy pants' - got mine from Army & Navy on Stamford St, A-U-L. They weren't half itchy, though, made out of some sort of rough, but hard-wearing, wool.

What about 'football shirts'? Another Stolen from Ivor speciality. Named after American football, I think. Woollen, zip-up front, with some sort of cast 'medal' on zip pull & yolk (shoulders) in different colour to the rest.

'Prisoner' braided Baratheas, Prince of Wales Crombies & Harringtons.

The 'mod' next door to me (30ish) wears 'Lambretta' shirts. & wonders why I laugh at him!

There's a Harrington for sale on Ebay don't remember football shirts only Baseball jumpers and Star jumpers
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Jeez two Manus's on here that's going to be confusing lol

All the best

Manus (Doherty)

All the best to you

,Manus(Fallon)I saw your name on here when browsing that why I put those letters and numbers on the end,thats certainly a co incedence as it sure aint no common name !

Social source share

I couldn't afford 5 bob, I had to join the Navy to get a free pair :D . Oh and as for the creases, it depended on how tall you were, you either had 5 or 7 :yes: .

Paul(ex Jolly Jack Tar)

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I couldn't afford 5 bob, I had to join the Navy to get a free pair :D . Oh and as for the creases, it depended on how tall you were, you either had 5 or 7 :yes: .

Paul(ex Jolly Jack Tar)

There was a white pair on ebay yesterday that only had 5 creases !
Social source share

Guest dicklincoln72

Bought my first pair of Skinners on Lincoln Market around 72, my most treasured memories are of a pair of brogues bought in Blackpool that we had to have whip round for me to afford, but I just had to have them despite being broke for the rest of the weekend. Wish I still had all my old Ben Sherman shirts, especially the yellow and blue striped Beach Boys one. Anyone remember Wet Look jackets, cheap and usually in black? I also once had an account at a tailors John something, you know the advert it was "The Window To Watch" and they made me an Electric Blue suit based on just a record sleeve picture of Marvyn Gaye wearing one, inverted pleats and all. Happy days.

Social source share

All the best to you

,Manus(Fallon)I saw your name on here when browsing that why I put those letters and numbers on the end,thats certainly a co incedence as it sure aint no common name !

Hello Manus - yes not a very common name here for sure - but it's a well known christian name in the Donegal/Derry area.

My brain's a bit scrambled now but I've a vague memory of talking to another Manus in Wigan maybe around 74/75 - wonder if that was yourself. Long time ago though lol

Cheers

Manus

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Hello Manus - yes not a very common name here for sure - but it's a well known christian name in the Donegal/Derry area.

My brain's a bit scrambled now but I've a vague memory of talking to another Manus in Wigan maybe around 74/75 - wonder if that was yourself. Long time ago though lol

Cheers

Manus

Firstly about the name although its not common in England it is is indeed common in donegal where my Dads family originate from ,a place callled fanna peninsula,(lovely part of the world).I did go to Wigan around the time you say so it might well of been,certainly is a long time ago,I can certainly empathise with "scrambled brain ",syndrome but hey wasnt the so some would say cause of such (when the point an accusing finger at past enjoyment)very much worth a little "scramled brain",here and there lol. Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Bought my first pair of Skinners on Lincoln Market around 72, my most treasured memories are of a pair of brogues bought in Blackpool that we had to have whip round for me to afford, but I just had to have them despite being broke for the rest of the weekend. Wish I still had all my old Ben Sherman shirts, especially the yellow and blue striped Beach Boys one. Anyone remember Wet Look jackets, cheap and usually in black? I also once had an account at a tailors John something, you know the advert it was "The Window To Watch" and they made me an Electric Blue suit based on just a record sleeve picture of Marvyn Gaye wearing one, inverted pleats and all. Happy days.

John Collier..'the window to watch'..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Among the range of fashions at all nighters of the time could also be found the jeans and denim shirt look becoming more popular in years to come also some people doing the suit and tie look(some looked really cool obviously made to measure with lovely detail and material others not so)There was a bloke about at the time,cant remember his name, sometimes used to wear a suit and tie and carry a record box,had a tash and a 24 7 fixed grin(must of had a good supplier).His suit was badly fitting and may not even of been a suit as the jacket looked slightly different in colour to the pants.Stains on the tie etc.My mate Rug Bowrrs and Wilky used to call him "Man at C and A".or the door to door salesman".At a soul night in Northampton I was sitting with Wilky and Rug when this bloke(the man at C and A) came over and stood in front of Rug and said",I might be going to the mecca next week to see if I can buy or sell a few sounds I might see you there Rug".Rug looked at the blokes box and said",I don t think theres much call for polish and brushes at the mecca,youd be better off sticking to kettering market".The bloke gave a puzzled look not knowing whether what was said was good or bad ,turned and walked off.

One of the biggest dangers then was going shopping for clothes when you were blocked,well not just blocked but zonked out of it,I have ended up with a levi jacket two sizes to small I thought fitted when I squeezed it on in the shop ,also a half sleeved shirt I thought at the time would be brilliant for all nighter wear that actually looked and felt like black asbestos along with other unwearable disasters down the line..I am really pleased to say I never went to the tailors to have trousers made to measure when I was on planet 9 as I can imagine the outcome.Over the years jeans were always good from skinners to baggies to levis and on.I used to really like baggie cords always looked good no matter what youd been doing in them.As mentioned time moving later on I really liked denim shirts by ,levis,wranglers etc,still have such today though its diesal ,rl ,rather than levis etc.The half sleeve wrangler denim was nice and light and good for nighter wear.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Firstly about the name although its not common in England it is is indeed common in donegal where my Dads family originate from ,a place callled fanna peninsula,(lovely part of the world).I did go to Wigan around the time you say so it might well of been,certainly is a long time ago,I can certainly empathise with "scrambled brain ",syndrome but hey wasnt the so some would say cause of such (when the point an accusing finger at past enjoyment)very much worth a little "scramled brain",here and there lol.

So you guys are both my dad then - I'm mac manus ... my dad's from the fermanagh/cavan border. summer hols in bundoran as kid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

We had mass gatherings at TREWS the tailors in Halifax 73 onwards, trousers , jackets , waistcoats , comparing drawings of what we wanted . Also used to have coats made at Burtons :)

Hi Macca I was talking to someone the other day called Ryder from peterborough ,wondered if you knew him as I think you had mentioned living here on another post,years before I mived here(comment in relation to monica)
Social source share

Know him well Manus. His family lived out at Wansford. We used to go the Haycock on Sunday lunch times in the mid 80s, get completely ripped with all the toffs, then have lunch and a long siesta at his Gran's, then do it all over again in the evening. Monday mornings used to be grim. Don't know how I even got to work sometimes. Last time I saw him was in the Gladstone Arms probably early to mid 90s. If you see him again, say hi from Mac(ky).

Edited by macca
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest manusf3a

There was a bloke from round our way ,northants,cant remember his name but he used to get about ,all the local places and wigan,cleethorpes(but not as much)didnt see him at samanthas though.My mates Wilky and Rug unlike me who used to like to get about,dance etc, used to spend all their time near enough when at nighters in the record bar heads stuck in record boxes most of the night buying and selling ,both did a bit of dj ing and had lots of good stuff in their collections(lucky for me cos I used to listen to it all round Wilkys house during the week).so they knew this bloke better than me as he used to always bring a box of records to try and hawk, they called him man at C and A , due to the fact that he nearly always wore a suit,well sort of a suit ,seperate jacket and pants that nearly but not quite matched in texture and colour.The suit was teamed with shirt and tightly knotted tie,the whole outfit must have been ironed to death over time ,including the tie as it was shinier than any tonic materiel (but wasnt tonic to start with).To top it off he always had a fixed 24 7 grin on his boat thick borat like tash and wiry black mop of hair .Along with the name man at C and A Rug used to call him the door to door salesman and would ask him if he had," cherry blossom or kiwi in his box. or how much did he want for a pair of marigolds",This he asked regulary and would always be answered with a confused look.The bloke used to come on the St ives coach and got a fair bit of stick from Wilky who one time on the way back in the morning swiped all the records out of man at C and A s box and replaced them with a couple of parsnips he had with him for some mad reason (hed bought them in huntingdon the day before to take with us and I had bought a turnip that I had in a carrier bag what we bought them for, ,who knows?)O f course this was taken very seriously by only one person on the coach who nearly crying after pleading for ages for some one to say where his records were,well he did leave his box un attended on a seat near Wilky and Rug,eventualy got them back.I believe from the odd bit of news over the years man at C and A is still out and about on the scene ,wonder if he still has his suit.Good on him he didnt want to dress in any sort of fashion and be dictated to by soul police or the like of the time(only heard that term "soul police",since coming on this site recently?)Anyway I believe he certainly stood out in the crowd with his own take on fashion,strangely enough for all his love of his wearing his tie I dont think he ever visited the highland room.I just remembered some other lads used to know him as Man at Plastaire and hangers",whatever that means?Oh parsnips and a turnip there where other items from time to time on that coach such as a large plastic crocodile down to Wilky,along with other stuff that sometimes got raffled on the way back to Kettering ,an old crash helmet belonging to Lenny jones was used as the tombola(I think thats what its called) .Prizes could include record sleeves without the records,sometimes booby prizes like a few duramine or a couple of empty wraps,Rug would get everyone to write their name down to be put into the crash helmet .The very first draw Wilky picked the name from the hat and he also won it so there was a lot of talk of cheating but he still kept the record cover.just the sort of thing s to keep everybody happy and bright after a good nights blocking when youre still out your head and itching for more.

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Just noticed I already mentioned this bloke in an earlier posting,I saw an advert for Sacha Baron Cohens new film ",The Dictator",and the bloke was the double of borat ,suit and all and it prompted me into doing a posting on him(unknowinly again)still the bloke was a trooper and let no fashion police call the terms for him.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Not sure how to get piccies on here techno thicko, its th paper label not the sewn on embossed leather label from the back pocket. Skinners came in after the 16 inch parallel legs of sta-prest I think 72-3. The original Skinners were 24 inch parallel legs in blue denim the white ones came in later re bay city rollers/ clockwork orange but the blue denim Skinners original was the one with a 2 inch turn up on the outside,. Also copies were around made by a company called saddlebags then other manufactures made trousers with the same leg cut. Another brand to go down in soul fashion History were jeans called Flemmings super toughs think they came from Liverpool. Remember seeing both Skinners and Flemmings being worn with the first leather bomber jackets or leather/suede in the same style as the levi jacket well cool.

Nice thread mate. hope we get a few more replies from the hep cats of the time. Best kimbo.

Is it east to get photos on here!!!!

here you go still going.....https://www.flemingsjeansliverpool.com/

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/exhibitions/liverpoollives/graphics/large/flemings_jeans_label.jpg

Social source share

Yeah.had a real patchwork shirt, I guess about 71ish.

I think it had a round coller, penny round maybe?

Also patchwork jumper at the same time, it was just before the football zip jumpers came out.

I had one too def penny round and not Brutus

Pretty sure the patchwork jumpers were made by South Sea Bubble..anyone remember them........t-shirts as well if I remember correctly

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember those rupert checks,also the cardigans,Iwas about thirteen when they came out and although I had a pair of skinners bought for me at the time had to nick the cardigan and a few other items and leave them at the bottom of the garden and change back into what I went out from home in,sed to stay out all night then too (worth the slaps)and go over kettering from corby to the north park etc.Also did a shop at the time with a mate of mine and we got about 200 shirts,top class (got nicked for it later down the line)patchwork brutus shirts and loads of them round collar paisley and other design shirts among them I also got another one of those cardigans of the dummy that was in the shop window as when we got in there was a race between me and my mate to get said cardy but he fell over a rack of shirts so I got there first.Frank wright loafers were the footwear along with dm s (never had them and a type of wedge shoe thats sole looked a bit like a brothel creeper but not quite as clumpy.Remember the star jumpers and also parallel trouser the same width as skinners 24 inch I had a black pair and wore them with a barathea blazer,round this time lads such as Wilky were wearing torch badges on theirs.The sta press and button down shirt thing was around when Iwas about 11 and had even then a few of each with a harrington.Mispent youth early years hanging round with older lads but it was great .I was quite big for my age and when I was 13 used to have to go to the bar on occasions for my mates Kieth Harpur and George(of later on chemist robbing fame )to get the drinks as they couldnt get served even though they were three or four years older than me.Unfortunately leading such a quiet life led to some time away but hey swings and roundabouts though I look these days and dont think I would want a son of thirteen doing whgat I did but hey times were different then.Oh I always wanted a prince of wales check harrinton back then but never got my hands on one but the top coat of time and I have always really liked them had to be the sheepskin.

Toppers if I remember correctly....never seen a pic of a pair since!

Social source share

Me and Rich Francis did an interview/photo shoot last Sunday for a London publication done by a group of young London kids and aimed at the fashions of the NS scene bitd.

We had pre-warned them that we were babies on the scene in 1980 and if they needed to talk to the laymans idea of a Soulie and what they wore then to centre their attentions on the 55+ lads...they still came anyhow.

Great people and they knew what they were doing with the camera's etc but didn't seem to have done a great deal of homework on the scene but as they were only around 20 - 22, what do you do, it's quite convoluted ay?.

They took shots of memberships, posters etc but got heavily fixated with me old long leather, last worn 1980...I ended up in a field in a Burtons shop window pose with it on....kinda dreading what comes out :elvis:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Just had a look at the Flemmings site, being originally from Southport, they were the jeans to have. I nearly ordered a pair, but, no stitched V shape on the front or back pockets, just some sort of vulture with a kipper in it's beak. Don't think I'll bother!!!!

Paul

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Toppers if I remember correctly....never seen a pic of a pair since!

Youre right,they used to have a shop in oxford street london.

Social source share

Bit late on this one guys....but anyone remember Ray Seams? Parallel leg with a pronounced 'flap' the whole length of the seam. 

Me old mate Kimbo will no doubt come on with correct terminology!!?

Also not seen a mention of Porky Pie shoes? Modern equivalent probably being Camper type pumps but with very pronounced pork pie edging? Common in shoe-town Rushden.

And our mum used to knit us tank tops.

And dare I mention berets!? Me and Phil Attley wore 'em for a while.

Oh dear!

Social source share

I had one too def penny round and not Brutus

Pretty sure the patchwork jumpers were made by South Sea Bubble..anyone remember them........t-shirts as well if I remember correctly

Yeah, jumpers by South Sea Bubble Co., can't remember the t-shits by them.

Social source share

We had mass gatherings at TREWS the tailors in Halifax 73 onwards, trousers , jackets , waistcoats , comparing drawings of what we wanted . Also used to have coats made at Burtons smile.png

Around 75 I had my trousers made at Jacksons (then to become Burtons) on high street in Sheffield.

36 inch bottoms, front pleats, square pockets on the back with either inverted pleats or box pleats and what was then referred to as JETTED seams down the outside of each leg (is this what you mean?)

26 quid a pair and I only earned 15 quid a week as an engineering apprentice. :(

Social source share

Bit late on this one guys....but anyone remember Ray Seams? Parallel leg with a pronounced 'flap' the whole length of the seam. 

Me old mate Kimbo will no doubt come on with correct terminology!!?

Also not seen a mention of Porky Pie shoes? Modern equivalent probably being Camper type pumps but with very pronounced pork pie edging? Common in shoe-town Rushden.

And our mum used to knit us tank tops.

And dare I mention berets!? Me and Phil Attley wore 'em for a while.

Oh dear!

I remember berets being worn for a short period when I was youth club age, Didn't they get "banned" because of IRA/paramililtary connotations? Sounds daft now, how can you ban a type of hat, but thats how I remember it. :g:

They disappeared fairly quickly round here as I remember :huh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!