Newby And Johnson A And B Side?

Going through a box at home I found two (British) copies of Newby and Johnson - I Want To Give YOu My Everything/ Sweet Happiness.....Strange, why have I got two of them I thought? :) Then I realised although both are on Mercury 6052 027 on one copy Sweet Happiness is the "A" side and on the other copy I Want To Give You My Everything is the "A" side.........so my question is, which side originally came out as the "A" side??

Ta

Rob

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

If I remember rightly "Sweet happiness" was the original A side.

Yet I'd have guessed it was the other way around. The "I Want To Give You My Everything" side being the US 'hit' side (Mercury 73080) ... flipped soon after, in the UK, after UK club action on the "Sweet Happiness" side.

:thumbup:

Nice double sider either way!

Sean

Social source share

Yet I'd have guessed it was the other way around. The "I Want To Give You My Everything" side being the US 'hit' side (Mercury 73080) ... flipped soon after, in the UK, after UK club action on the "Sweet Happiness" side.

Sean

Checked US issue, an "I Want To Give You My Everything" is the lower matrix number if that's any guide. Also sure the US demo's are same sided with "IWTGYME" :yes:

For me the best side,

steve

Social source share

Sean

Hi Sean

Not 100% on this one, but I thought the same as you.

I remember a friend of mine fetching his copy to play at our local do, Just before it was widely available.

Something in the back of my mind about repromotion. A & B

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

That would make sense then.....if the USA promotion side was I Want To etc, and then Sweet Happiness being picked up on over here, then a case of flipping the sides and repromoting.....you know it makes sense :thumbup:

Thanks for the info guys.

Think i'll give it a spin now, been gathering dust for quite a few years :yes:

Social source share

That would make sense then.....if the USA promotion side was I Want To etc, and then Sweet Happiness being picked up on over here, then a case of flipping the sides and repromoting.....you know it makes sense :thumbup:

Thanks for the info guys.

Think i'll give it a spin now, been gathering dust for quite a few years :yes:

Yes, It's a wonderful tune, and should be played.

Excellent Value as a Double Sider too.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

If I remember rightly "Sweet happiness" was the original A side.

Wrong. UK Mercury re-promoted the record with "Sweet Happiness" as the topside, due to it's popularity in the discos. (I'm old enough to remember it's original release!) smile.gif

Another (US only) version by Storm on the Sunflower label, got some spins a few years later, but it's weak in comparison.

"I Want To Give You My Everything" had something of a revival as a crossover spin a couple of years ago. Ironic or what? I actually prefer "I Want To.." now too, but both sides smell nostalgically of Brut, if you get my drift! :no:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert