Truly Smith - This Is The First Time

Hi there, this is my first message, so be kind to me :-) I was just wondering if anyone has an original of of this track on UK MGM or know where I could get hold of one? I'm pretty sure there wasn't a US release but it may have appeared in Europe. I got an mp3 of it recently from a girl groups collector who I know, and it is an absolutely glorious beat ballad that despite it's britishness could do big business on the scene now though it might have been spun at Stafford or somewhere, i'm not that up on the era... But anyway, fab track, where do I get it :-)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Does nobody know then? Or am I just being ignored as a newbie/someone who hasn't been on the scene for 30 years? (Sorry.)

Social source share

babyboy

doubt you are being ignored. quite possible no-one knows the answer but i am sure someone out there will come up with the info for you eventually, thats part of what this site is all about - helping people with wants/sales , sharing views, etc.. just be patient. its not about how long you have been on the scene, i suppose there are certain cliques within the scene but just let them get on with it. i have had a look on manship, ebay and a few other sites but cannot foind any reference to the record for you. i will keep searchin, personally dont know the record myself. maybe a lot of the regular users/posters on soul-source are still receovering from thier weekend exploits.

good luck

grant

Social source share

Thanks grant, I understand what you're saying. As as for "guest" - erm, think Fred Hughes? You make quite an impression posting as a guest but I won't go into it... :-) I could upload the track somewhere if you wanted, it's top stuff for sure, and if you can have stuff like Venicia Wilson on the scene today, why not British stuff, if it's good quality? Thankyou. :-)

Social source share

Guest Kolla

Here's another sound sample of Truly - My Smile is Just a Frown

Apart from the once on MGM, I think the only UK label Truly recorded for was Decca. She released at least five singles with them:

- My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down

- I Wanna Go Back There Again

- The Boy From Chelsea/little Man With A Stick

- Windows And Doors

- The Merry-Go-Round is Slowing You Down

I did see the MGM "This Is The First Time" on a US auction list a while back and it was priced at $160 dollars. I've found one priced at $180 and have emailed you the details. (Let me know how you get on)

The following is from Mick Fitzpatrick's site:-

" Truly Smith - My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down. Fabulous, smooth version of a wonderful Carolyn Crawford Motown single, price rocketed from £3 to £25 in a matter of weeks following my reviewing it in 1990! Truly's other Decca single of interest, I Wanna Go Back There Again, is a strong version of Chris Clark's US hit which was covered by several UK artists in 1967. It seems she bowed out with a final single for MGM in 1968, This Is The First Time, which has a small following on the collectors scene. A French Decca EP also exists."

And for the record "Baby Boy" is a classic track - whether it's Juanita Williams or Fred Hughes.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

i've had a few copies of truly smith on m.g.m. which i've sold to u.k. collectors for £25 each. i've also had copies of the decca 45 my smile. when i had these some years ago they i think were unknown. i may be wrong but i had these at least 15 plus years ago. happy hunting.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

£25 !!!! How long ago, Mick?

I only ask because £95 ($180) is a bit of a jump if it was only a wee while ago. Or did you mean you had these 15 plus years ago - you know when you were 6yrs old?

By the way - didn't go to Prestayn either.

Social source share

was watching with interest but no time to comment before, I have also seen the $180 listing (from Vinly record store).....suggest do not even think about buying from them as they are always well over the top on price and they have a habit of when they do underprice the record mysteriously is not available anymore....this has happened on two occasions....

they also sold me a boot of LIFE ''tell me why'' ( which was not stated as a boot )for £ 30 which seemed a result (until I got it ) and when I returned it they said I should have known it was a boot because of the price, my answer to that was if its a boot why not a tenner cos thats all its worth ......

buyer beware as always but they carry enough soul on their list to not be cute and not say its a boot, THEY KNOW EXACTLY what they are doing !!!!

Social source share

Know what you mean about vinyl record store, if it's a good price

it's ALWAYS sold and othervise it's over the top.. think they listed Freddie Lowe on Sirrocco on GEMM for about 700$... ??????

Social source share

Fair enough, thanks people (most people!)... Juanita Williams! Yeah forgot about that one... top stuff though! I agree that £95 is a pretty ridiculous price to pay, but I have most of her other singles (haven't got Merry Go Round yet but it's a fairly low priority, and my I Want To Go Back There Again is on US Parrot, not sure if it's rarer or more common) but This Is The First Time has proved pretty impossible to find... Much as I'd like to ignore it, I think I know where next month's pay is going to start dissapearing... soul is a harsh mistress! Do you still want to hear the track by the way? Must check with Mike how to do it...

Social source share

bboy

apoligies bit rushed

uploading sounds "should" be fairly easy:)

login

go to sounds section, choose which section to upload

as in sounds/singles

hit the upload button

use browse to select the sound on your computer

fill in "image name" and description

and hit submit

it should upload it, may take a few mins

thats quick and dirty way, as said "should" work, though depends on your setup and all rest of tech stuff

if any probs, can email it us and will throw up

gotta say, ask all if uploading sounds to use a bit of common.

as in no official released cd stuff, if any doubt clip or mix it

Social source share

Yeah, you're probably right... i'm a bit new to the scene to be honest so I haven't got those guys' contact details, can anyone help out? Might well have been on Pete Smith's mailing list at one point but I lost it :-S

Social source share

hi again babyboy, try some of the following -

pete smith planet records : www.raresoul.co.uk

raving mad records : www.ravingmadrecords.com

auctions : www.soulbid.com & www.ebay.com

also look at pat brady records site and john manships site.

grant

Social source share

good info from Grant for you and it is hard starting a collection now ( or again after many years away ) but be careful and look HARD around before you buy as prices are all over the shop and it is so easy to buy the first copy you see then 3 weeks later theres 3 or 4 coming up, as per other discussions a lot of the records are not rare its just getting out and about to see them in boxes.........dealers are good but they have to make a living,

take a breathe dont rush and get on some regular mailing lists as its amazing how often you see a record on a list that appears again a month later !!!!

the rare ones are rare but a lot of average records have a big price spread.....good hunting its all part of the fun.

Social source share

SOME GOOD POINTS FROM HEADSY THERE, BETTER TO GET OUT & ABOUT AT SOULNITES WHERE YOU WILL PICK UP BARGAINS (MAINLY FROM THE 'SMALLER' RECORD SELLERS). TAKE A LOOK AROUND, DONT JUMP INTO ANYTHING, KEEP AN EYE OUT ON EBAY (AMAZING WHAT GOES THRU UNNOTICED!). TRY AND BARTER TOO, CHANCES ARE A RECORD THEY HAVE FOR SALE MAY HAVE BEEN STAGNATING ON THEIR SALES LIST FOR SOME TIME. DON'T WRITE OFF CARBOOTS EITHER...............................................................AT A CARBOOT ONLY LAST SUNDAY I FOUND SHOWSTOPPERS ON HEM, VONDELLS ON AIRTOWN ETC.....JUST WOKE UP FROM MY LUNCHTIME NAP, NOW WHAT WAS I SAYING?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

FORGOT TO ADD AS HEADSY SAYS THE RARE ONES ARE RARE - WATCH OUT FOR THE 'AVERAGE' RECORD THAT IS IN-DEMAND (E.G. FUTURES,ACE SPECTRUM, & NOW SAM COOKE 'SUGAR DUMPLING' ON RCA - NOTICE HOW PEOPLE ARE FALLING OVER EACH OTHER ON EBAY FOR THAT AT THE MO!!) AS YOU WILL PAY MORE THAN THEY ARE ACTUALLY WORTH IMO.

Grant

Social source share

• 7 years later...

Yeah, that's true... it could be Truly Smith by next year... :-) If we can ever find any! Thanks for the help guys :-)

gallery_1986_2578_20805.jpggallery_1986_2578_55053.jpg

Social source share

I once had the demo acetate of this track, no artist named on the label, obviously a one-off - got a feeling I might have posted it on here. Long gone now anyway. I wouldn't have thought the Truly Smith record was worth more than £30 though I saw an issue getting a lot of attention yesterday, and have to say, I've only ever had it on demo.

Social source share

Truly Smith, real name Josie Taylor, was born in Warrington. She became a teacher and retired as headmistress of a school in Alnwick. Her married name is Josie MacDonough.

There's a lengthy article about her here: Truly Smith

I once had the demo acetate of this track, no artist named on the label, obviously a one-off - got a feeling I might have posted it on here. Long gone now anyway.

That came to me, Pete...

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

SOME GOOD POINTS FROM HEADSY THERE, BETTER TO GET OUT & ABOUT AT SOULNITES WHERE YOU WILL PICK UP BARGAINS (MAINLY FROM THE 'SMALLER' RECORD SELLERS). TAKE A LOOK AROUND, DONT JUMP INTO ANYTHING, KEEP AN EYE OUT ON EBAY (AMAZING WHAT GOES THRU UNNOTICED!). TRY AND BARTER TOO, CHANCES ARE A RECORD THEY HAVE FOR SALE MAY HAVE BEEN STAGNATING ON THEIR SALES LIST FOR SOME TIME. DON'T WRITE OFF CARBOOTS EITHER...............................................................AT A CARBOOT ONLY LAST SUNDAY I FOUND SHOWSTOPPERS ON HEM, VONDELLS ON AIRTOWN ETC.....JUST WOKE UP FROM MY LUNCHTIME NAP, NOW WHAT WAS I SAYING?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAKING AFTERNOON NAPS SINCE YOU HIT 50 BUD biggrin.gif

Social source share

Truly Smith, real name Josie Taylor, was born in Warrington. She became a teacher and retired as headmistress of a school in Alnwick. Her married name is Josie MacDonough.

There's a lengthy article about her here: Truly Smith

That came to me, Pete...

Oh of course. Hey well at least that proves I'm not making it up laugh.gif

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!