• Replies 147
  • Views 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest James Trouble

I`ll ask him later today for you and let you know tomorrow...please be a little more patient.

Mark, do you think you mention Butch more often in your posts than Chalky mentions Andy Dyson in his?

I was just wondering, must be a close one.

Where's my coat...

:lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Mark, do you think you mention Butch more often in your posts than Chalky mentions Andy Dyson in his?

I was just wondering, must be a close one.

Where's my coat...

onto.gif

If you would only read more carefully young James you would have recognized it was Simon who referred to Butch first.

Beside that, you sure you really wanna talk about things such as electro shocks ?

Social source share

so what are the missing numers then ? below from georgia soul shows a few numbers missing....

001 Richard Marks - Home For the Holidays (Mother's Wish For Christmas) / Mr. Santa Claus (Santa Claus Helping Hand)

101 Richard Marks - Funky Four Corners / Part 2

102 Barbara Hall - Lookin' For My Baby / Tell Me, Tell Me, Tell Me / ?

103 The Grace Gospel Singers - Jesus Will Lead the Way / Let This Traveler Inew

104 Buddy Cantrell - Why Did You Leave Me? / You Ain't No Good

105 Richard Marks - I'm the Man For You / Cracker Jack

106 Barbara Hall - Broken hearted / Big Man

110 Bill R. Wright - Everything Looked Good Ain't Good / Instrumental

112 Richard Marks - Did You Ever Lose Something / Never Satisfied

113 Barbara Hall - Humanity / The Doll (by Richard Marks & the Minors

115 Jimmy Tig & the Tig Family - Everybody's Laffing / Brainstorm

Jimmy Thorpe - Don't Let My Love Go Away

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

thats rich coming from a stalker

Who do I stalk? :lol:

Your posts are like The Green Dyson and his loyal side kick Chalko.

:lol: :lol:

green-hornet-kato.jpg

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

You're all talking rubbish, Richards Marks - Did You Ever Lose Something is far & away the best on the label (and the funk side's pretty strong too).

It is pretty good but I think "Love Is Gone" on Shout is better, after all is said and done.

Social source share

Am I the only MFer who hasn't heared most of the records on this label, I am assuming I am missing something, cmon then get sound clips up, if not already there, I can't investigate until I get home tonight,

I refuse to believe Barbara Hall has one bad record and need to go and lie down in a darkend room with a gin fountain to get over shock.

I take it all remain rare? Bas**d I hate it when good records are also rare, except when I have them, then I positively delight in it, with glee!

Social source share

It is pretty good but I think "Love Is Gone" on Shout is better, after all is said and done.

An interesting theory Christian.

Other side of the Shout 45 is excellent as well in the same vein as Did You Ever Lose Something without being quite as good.

I'm guessing very few of these records will be posted as soundfiles Jock as they remain in the realm of the jealously guarded collector's item. John Ridley has presented a rundown of a few of the deeper sides via his great Sir Shambling site. Soundfiles of Buddy Cantrell and a couple of the Barbara Halls should be there.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Other side of the Shout 45 is excellent as well in the same vein as Did You Ever Lose Something without being quite as good.

I'm guessing very few of these records will be posted as soundfiles Jock as they remain in the realm of the jealously guarded collector's item. John Ridley has presented a rundown of few of the deeper sides via his great Sir Shambling site. Soundfiles of Buddy Cantrell and a couple of the Barbara Hall's should be there.

gollum%20maquette.jpg

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I'm guessing very few of these records will be posted as soundfiles Jock as they remain in the realm of the jealously guarded collector's item. John Ridley has presented a rundown of a few of the deeper sides via his great Sir Shambling site. Soundfiles of Buddy Cantrell and a couple of the Barbara Halls should be there.

While they are good soul music I don't really see (or hear) that much in them to jealously guard. Most of these sounds have little or no mass appeal. It's not like they are a new "Love Is Alright" or "Job Opening". But I guess there are always some people who have no integrity and who might try to claim credit among the dozen or so people who care by playing dubs, or whatever. I am glad I don't lose much sleep over things like this anymore...

I have "Did You Ever Lose Something" on a CD somewhere in a bag in the attic and I had soundfiles of a couple of other Tuska tracks on my laptop, that died a few months back. I now remember that I once wondered if Richard Marks on Note was any good. I still don't know if it is, which is ok.

Social source share

is that "innocent bystander" you are talkign about on note ?

I do remember that being pretty good and have it on CD somewhere.

the shout 45 is odd as its from new york and he recorded his other stuff on small georgia labels.

does the shout 45 get much northern soul action ? its catchy and I could see it might dancefloor apeal. Both sides are equally strong dancers.

actually just picked that up myself looked for it a long time ago then stopped. Then it came up in a conversation and one became available.

This thread has certainbly gone of on a tangent.... :laugh:

Social source share

The Shout 45 is an Atlanta production (by Tee Fletcher I think) leased to New York's Shout label.

Bear in mind that Richard Marks Funky 4 Corners was leased to Roulette and that getting picked up by a major or a larger independent with national distribution was pretty much the ideal scenario for many small local labels at the time.

Social source share

the shout 45 is odd as its from new york and he recorded his other stuff on small georgia labels.

Not as odd as you might think. Ilene Berns, husband of Bang/Shout owner Bert Berns, explored Atlanta connections (including Tee Fletcher and Calvin Arnold) and eventually moved to Atlanta (and then to Nashville) following Bert's death. There are a number of Shout 45s recorded in Atlanta or nearby.

248 - Moses Dillard & Martha Starr - Cheating, Teasin' & Misleading / You Cant Laugh It Off - 1970 (Greenville SC)

249 - Richard Marks - Love Is Gone / Don't Take It Out On Me - 1970

250 - Bit Of Honey - He's Number One / Live In Maid - 1970

251 - El Shobey - Never Miss What You Got / Whole Thing - 1970 (This one I'm not 100% about)

252 - Freddie Terrell & The Soul Explosion Band - I'll Show You How To Make Music / Respect Yourself - 1970

253 - Moses Dillard & The Tex-Town Display - I Promised To Love You / We Gotta Come Together - 1970 (Greenville SC)

255 - Liz Spraggins - Pass Me Not / Mis-Un-Der-Stand-Ing - 1970

The 300 series has the yellow label design and an Atlanta address:

300 - Kenny Seymour - I've Got The Rest Of My Life (To Love You) / I've Got The Rest Of My Life (To Love You) (Instrumental) - 1973

301 - Jimmy Mayes And Mill Street Depot - S.S.N. (Social Security Number) / S.S.N. (Social Security Number) (Instrumental) - 1973

302 - Energy - Function At The Junction / Better Not Live Outside Your Heart - 1974

303 - Louise Freeman - Tell Me A Lie / How Can I Forget - 1974

304 - Kenny Seymour - Whistle I'll Come Running / Aho Cho - 1974

305 - George Kerr - Look What You Took / I Have A World Of Love - 1974

306 - Louise Freeman - I Can Do It (If I See It) / How Could You Run Away - 1974

307 - The Naturals - Crystal Blue Persuasion / Color Him Father - 1974

308 - Linda Woods - Love Bug / With You - 1974

309 - Peabo Bryson - Disco Queen / Disco Queen (Instrumental) - 1974

310 - The Naturals - Cold Day In Hell / Cold Day In Hell (Instrumental) - 1974

Social source share

is that "innocent bystander" you are talkign about on note ?

I do remember that being pretty good and have it on CD somewhere.

does the shout 45 get much northern soul action ? its catchy and I could see it might dancefloor apeal. Both sides are equally strong dancers.

I don't recall the title to be honest so that could be it. "Love Is Gone" is by far the superior side on the Shout 45 imo, even if the other side is ok too. I played it a bit over here 6 years ago and then some others picked it up and played it a bit too. Maybe it has had a few plays in the UK, but I doubt it has ever been played much outside of 'connoisseur' (i.e. the relatively limited bunch of people who care about those things) circles.

Social source share

Not as odd as you might think. Ilene Berns, husband of Bang/Shout owner Bert Berns, explored Atlanta connections (including Tee Fletcher and Calvin Arnold) and eventually moved to Atlanta (and then to Nashville) following Bert's death. There are a number of Shout 45s recorded in Atlanta or nearby.

248 - Moses Dillard & Martha Starr - Cheating, Teasin' & Misleading / You Cant Laugh It Off - 1970 (Greenville SC)

249 - Richard Marks - Love Is Gone / Don't Take It Out On Me - 1970

250 - Bit Of Honey - He's Number One / Live In Maid - 1970

251 - El Shobey - Never Miss What You Got / Whole Thing - 1970 (This one I'm not 100% about)

252 - Freddie Terrell & The Soul Explosion Band - I'll Show You How To Make Music / Respect Yourself - 1970

253 - Moses Dillard & The Tex-Town Display - I Promised To Love You / We Gotta Come Together - 1970 (Greenville SC)

255 - Liz Spraggins - Pass Me Not / Mis-Un-Der-Stand-Ing - 1970

The 300 series has the yellow label design and an Atlanta address:

300 - Kenny Seymour - I've Got The Rest Of My Life (To Love You) / I've Got The Rest Of My Life (To Love You) (Instrumental) - 1973

301 - Jimmy Mayes And Mill Street Depot - S.S.N. (Social Security Number) / S.S.N. (Social Security Number) (Instrumental) - 1973

302 - Energy - Function At The Junction / Better Not Live Outside Your Heart - 1974

303 - Louise Freeman - Tell Me A Lie / How Can I Forget - 1974

304 - Kenny Seymour - Whistle I'll Come Running / Aho Cho - 1974

305 - George Kerr - Look What You Took / I Have A World Of Love - 1974

306 - Louise Freeman - I Can Do It (If I See It) / How Could You Run Away - 1974

307 - The Naturals - Crystal Blue Persuasion / Color Him Father - 1974

308 - Linda Woods - Love Bug / With You - 1974

309 - Peabo Bryson - Disco Queen / Disco Queen (Instrumental) - 1974

310 - The Naturals - Cold Day In Hell / Cold Day In Hell (Instrumental) - 1974

brian, do you know anything about the bit of honey group and whether they are from georgia?

Do you know whether that 310 number actually exists with an instrumental flip? do you have it or have you seen it?

301 is a chicago recording licensed in and i'm sure some of the other numbers are george kerr licensed in things.

Did you ever talk to Rex Garvin about larry and the conservatives?

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Richard Marks p*sses all over Buddy Cantrell which is an ok record at best and not good enough for a Northern All-nighter.

and while we're on the subject of richard marks i think this also p*sses over the buddy cantrell chalky, 60's funk at its best rolleyes.gif

Richard Marks - I'm the man -

Social source share

brian, do you know anything about the bit of honey group and whether they are from georgia?

Calvin Arnold wrote the songs and recorded this one in Atlanta at the studio he owned with Herb Lance. I believe he said they were from Atlanta too. He only ever referred to them as "the girl group" and doesn't remember who exactly they were. I have a theory about who they were, but no way to confirm it....yet.

Do you know whether that 310 number actually exists with an instrumental flip? do you have it or have you seen it?

I am pretty sure I have it. All of my records are in storage while we're getting ready to move into a new house. I can answer this with more certainty in a few days.

Did you ever talk to Rex Garvin about larry and the conservatives?

Yes I've spoken with him but not yet in length about Larry & the Conservatives. The last couple of weeks have been hectic to say the least, and all of my spare time has been spent working on the aforementioned house. Rex and I will sit down soon though since we're officially moving into the new house tomorrow.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Yes, only "softer" recorded on Richard Marks....thats why Ian Wright is so wrong with his statement LOL! I`ll get my coat....

take another listen marc...dylan has and has changed his mind already laugh.gif definitely not same backing, same band most probably tho yes.gif

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

Guest wrighty

perhaps not idenbtical but certainly very VERY similar thumbsup.gif

well at the very least i suppose i should explain why i think the richard marks is better, for me its grittier, dirtier, heavier sounding, all in all a much better arrangement/song, plus his voice comes through the mix a lot better, something weird about buddys vocals :wub:

Social source share

Richard Marks p*sses all over Buddy Cantrell which is an ok record at best and not good enough for a Northern All-nighter.

Jimmy Tigg, magic record and good call on the Richard Marks on Shout, two top sides.

Ditto, really dont know what all the fuss is about with BC good collectors record at best & without commiting some kinda sacriledge, JT again nice record, but why the fuss. However i would be the first to say variety is the spice of life & each to thier own.

Russ

Social source share

You are not LOL

The other side is a killer R&B-funky-edged dancefloor winner which is so right for today, words fail to describe it thumbup.gifwink.gif .

Hi, Marc!

R&B? :thumbup: This is an out-and-out 60's funk record that will have most of the R&B afficionados i know running out the door :wub::yes:

Don't get me wrong, it's quite a good record in its genre and certainly folk may dance to it on, let's say, "progressive thinking" venues...but (tongue firmly in cheek here, because -as you know- i like/play a wide array of styles, including funk) i find that this kind of sound is still one step away from what people will find agreeable to dance to on most rare soul do's. And, no, it's got nothing to do with the lack of soulfulness or musical quality of those funk sides...it's simply that people don't know how to dance to them . We could also discuss the lyric content of most funk 45's compared your regular "northern" side...but, at the end of the day, i think it'll take a whole new generation of soulies not necessarily educated on the "4 to the floor" school of dancing to make something like Buddy Cantrell a floorfiller.

Best!

Edu

Social source share

Ditto, really dont know what all the fuss is about with BC good collectors record at best & without commiting some kinda sacriledge, JT again nice record, but why the fuss. However i would be the first to say variety is the spice of life & each to thier own.

Russ

Think Jimmy Tigg is a great record but not one you would really play out unless in some laid back down tempo room. Sean Hampsey played it at an afternoon session at one of Lifeline weekenders.

Social source share

I think Edu makes his point well.

While some soulful funk classics are starting to make small inroads into some Northern Soul playlists, quality-wise you'd have to say Buddy Cantrell compares very poorly to Herman Hitson on Sweet Rose, Big Jay Bush on Vangee, Earl English etc. The three mentioned murder it from every conceivable musical perspective.

Bottom line is that if Buddy Cantrell were on any other logo it wouldn't even be considered as a suitable candidate for playing out at any black music event. I've collected quite a bit of deep soul in my time and re-iterate that the ballad side is, for the money, woefully poor.

Social source share

I think Edu makes his point well.

While some soulful funk classics are starting to make small inroads into some Northern Soul playlists, quality-wise you'd have to say Buddy Cantrell compares very poorly to Herman Hitson on Sweet Rose, Big Jay Bush on Vangee, Earl English etc. The three mentioned murder it from every conceivable musical perspective.

Bottom line is that if Buddy Cantrell were on any other logo it wouldn't even be considered as a suitable candidate for playing out at any black music event. I've collected quite a bit of deep soul in my time and re-iterate that the ballad side is, for the money, woefully poor.

Hi!

Agreed, BC can't be compared quality wise with something like Herman Hitson...but then, the grittyness, rawness and primitiveness of some funk sides are precisely the factors that make a funk 45 desirable among funk collectors, whereas these same characteristics will immediately put off most of soul fans...another factor why it's sometimes difficult to introduce funk sounds to rare soul crowds (or the other way around... :thumbup: )

About BC deep soul side...well, i'm not a deep soul conoisseur by any means, but it's not such a great soul tune IMO.

Best!

Edu

Social source share

Well, I've just read through all of the above,(virtually). What a load of fuss about a load of average music. I've just received;

Roger Ballin Look'a who Nike

Fran-cettes Late in the evening Besche

Sarah Vaughan Oh lover Roulette

Jay Dee Bryant Get it Enjoy

Chuck Payne Ripple in the Stream Abc-paramount

Dick and Dee Dee All i want Liberty

All of which, put together, very probably cost less than 10% of the cost of the track you're all arguing about. I didn't have to name drop to get any of them, i didn't have to argue with anybody..or Stalk anybody to buy them. All i did was mind my own Business and look for them, press buy it now..or send money through the post or bank transfer...wait for them to come..play them when they did...then thoroughly enjoyed them. Nobody had to play it first for me to hear it, i made my own mind up. Amazing!!

I'd have any of the tunes I've mentioned above before Buddy Cantrell. Because they're solid RnB/Soul tunes that i enjoy, and others will, I'm sure. Do you know I don't give two shits how rare they are either.!! Or If somebody else played them at whatever venue!! In which Country.

You should all Love This Music for what it gives you not what you think you give it!!

Social source share

Well, I've just read through all of the above,(virtually). What a load of fuss about a load of average music. I've just received;

Roger Ballin Look'a who Nike

Fran-cettes Late in the evening Besche

Sarah Vaughan Oh lover Roulette

Jay Dee Bryant Get it Enjoy

Chuck Payne Ripple in the Stream Abc-paramount

Dick and Dee Dee All i want Liberty

All of which, put together, very probably cost less than 10% of the cost of the track you're all arguing about. I didn't have to name drop to get any of them, i didn't have to argue with anybody..or Stalk anybody to buy them. All i did was mind my own Business and look for them, press buy it now..or send money through the post or bank transfer...wait for them to come..play them when they did...then thoroughly enjoyed them. Nobody had to play it first for me to hear it, i made my own mind up. Amazing!!

I'd have any of the tunes I've mentioned above before Buddy Cantrell. Because they're solid RnB/Soul tunes that i enjoy, and others will, I'm sure. Do you know I don't give two shits how rare they are either.!! Or If somebody else played them at whatever venue!! In which Country.

You should all Love This Music for what it gives you not what you think you give it!!

WELL SAID

Are they playing James Brown "papa's got a brand new bag " at all-nighters these days??

Just checked out the Jimmy Tiggs on ebay and can honestly say ,i won't be setting my sniper on that no.gif

why anyone would wanna pay $4000 for this is beyond me ,other than a collector of rare 45's in the stamp collector way.

incidently i once asked Butch for a request and had a short chat with him...am i officially in the club nowwicked.gif

Nice guy by the way.very grounded .im sure he'd be a tad embarrassed if he actually reads some of the comment on hereyes.gif

Social source share

WELL SAID

Are they playing James Brown "papa's got a brand new bag " at all-nighters these days??

Just checked out the Jimmy Tiggs on ebay and can honestly say ,i won't be setting my sniper on that no.gif

why anyone would wanna pay $4000 for this is beyond me ,other than a collector of rare 45's in the stamp collector way.

incidently i once asked Butch for a request and had a short chat with him...am i officially in the club nowwicked.gif

Nice guy by the way.very grounded .im sure he'd be a tad embarrassed if he actually reads some of the comment on hereyes.gif

Hi Nev,

I agree with Gareth, the Jimmy Tig "Everybody's Laffing" is a tremendous Southern Soul track, with mighty fine lyrics, superbly sung by a great vocalist.

The clip on eBay does it absolutely no justice at all mate.

Chalky's right, I have had it a while and it sounds incredible played out.

Don't think anyone would pay $4,000 for it, but for anyone who's into top drawer, proper, Southern Soul its a must have 45!

A buggered copy went for $956 in May this year.

Will be interesting to see how much this one goes for.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Hi Nev,

I agree with Gareth, the Jimmy Tig "Everybody's Laffing" is a tremendous Southern Soul track, with mighty fine lyrics, superbly sung by a great vocalist.

The clip on eBay does it absolutely no justice at all mate.

Chalky's right, I have had it a while and it sounds incredible played out.

Don't think anyone would pay $4,000 for it, but for anyone who's into top drawer, proper, Southern Soul its a must have 45!

A buggered copy went for $956 in May this year.

Will be interesting to see how much this one goes for.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Heyup Sean

appreciate and respect your comments ,you have it the record and have heard it played out so i can't argue that.

I meant $4000 for Buddy C ohmy.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!