Whilst We Are On About Promoters

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A to Z

Its happened to me as a DJ locally (I'm DJing) when Ive been called into work or shifts have changed, thats the main reason i stopped taking advanced bookings as a Dj unless I am doing it as a favour and know I will be on the right shift even if i get changed around. Friday nights are really bad. But I know where your at Ted :thumbsup:

Rob -M-

Looks like i've started something with the "Z" list :thumbsup:

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

A to Z

Its happened to me as a DJ locally (I'm DJing) when Ive been called into work or shifts have changed, thats the main reason i stopped taking advanced bookings as a Dj unless I am doing it as a favour and know I will be on the right shift even if i get changed around. Friday nights are really bad. But I know where your at Ted :thumbsup:

Rob -M-

Looks like i've started something with the "Z" list :thumbsup:

as a proud card carrying member of the Zr's please feel free to put my number on any amount of flyers...nothing like a bit of exposure

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

as a proud card carrying member of the Zr's please feel free to put my number on any amount of flyers...nothing like a bit of exposure

:thumbsup::lol:

Do many promoters do this? :thumbsup: Not put your number on flyers obviously (! :thumbup: ) but say DJs are gonna be there when they're not? I wonder if someone put on a do & just put on the flyers that the line up was a suprise how many people would take a punt & just turn up? Hmmm... :D:thumbup: It'd just be me & ma dawg dancing to The Snake on repeat i fancy... :wicked:

Edited by Mrs Simsy
Social source share

Do many promoters do this? :thumbsup: Not put your number on flyers obviously (! :thumbup: ) but say DJs are gonna be there when they're not? I wonder if someone put on a do & just put on the flyers that the line up was a suprise how many people would take a punt & just turn up? Hmmm... :D:thumbup: It'd just be me & ma dawg dancing to The Snake on repeat i fancy... :wicked:

=============

Happened a couple of times when a DJ has been double booked, but not a regular occurence as far as I can remember. Maybe tedsoul has somewhere/something specific in mind??

Winnie :-)

Social source share

It's happened many a time over the years and will no doubt happen in the future.

Social source share

Guest eggman

didn't this happen on saturday?

I am sure I read in lookbacks that Mick Smith and Butch were not on at Keele and yet they were certainly on the flyers.

I also no the guy that runs the St.Ives reunion has on occassions advertised people that haven't even been asked, Soul Sam for example

Social source share

didn't this happen on saturday?

I am sure I read in lookbacks that Mick Smith and Butch were not on at Keele and yet they were certainly on the flyers.

I also no the guy that runs the St.Ives reunion has on occassions advertised people that haven't even been asked, Soul Sam for example

yeah I noticed that :thumbsup: Up to the rest to step up to the plate and deliver a good un then hey :thumbsup:

Social source share

=============

Happened a couple of times when a DJ has been double booked, but not a regular occurence as far as I can remember. Maybe tedsoul has somewhere/something specific in mind??

Winnie :-)

Theres only one DJ that really gets extra bums on seats thats Butch who without doubt has the best collection and plays the best sets IMO (and i assume from another thread he was not there) but he was advertised as been on at Keele only 1 day before the due date. I feel that this almost certainly had an effect on both Burnley and Bishop woods attendances. You could say it was against the trades description act IMO. am i right in assuming the promoters knew he would not be there if not i apologise

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

a few years ago i booked a dj but he had a few problems and had to cancel at the last minute which was fine and not the end of the world, so to fill the vacant spot we asked Edwin from blackwood to step in, he was absolutely fantastic and blew every one away, so if the original dj hadn't canceled we would not have got to hear Edwin :thumbsup: result,

unfortunately he's not that keen on djing so we probably won't get him to do it again :thumbsup:

Social source share

a few years ago i booked a dj but he had a few problems and had to cancel at the last minute which was fine and not the end of the world, so to fill the vacant spot we asked Edwin from blackwood to step in, he was absolutely fantastic and blew every one away, so if the original dj hadn't canceled we would not have got to hear Edwin :thumbsup: result,

unfortunately he's not that keen on djing so we probably won't get him to do it again :lol:

Yes Edwin has got incredible taste.

Used to spend a lot of time with him, not seen him for years though.

COME BACK EDWIN!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

:lol::thumbup:

Do many promoters do this? :thumbsup: Not put your number on flyers obviously (! :thumbup: ) but say DJs are gonna be there when they're not? I wonder if someone put on a do & just put on the flyers that the line up was a suprise how many people would take a punt & just turn up? Hmmm... :D:wicked: It'd just be me & ma dawg dancing to The Snake on repeat i fancy... :D

i am a name not a number wacko.gif my teachers always said i should concnterte mare :thumbsup:

Social source share

Totally agree, one of the well know guys who runs Keele, knew that Butch would not be on, but still advertised him as being on. Even worse he was seen in Woverhampton the night before selling tickets, two for the price of one. Now that isn't fair on the punters who paid full price for a ticket. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Two For One Tickets, Scratch Cards, Half Price Drinks, Large Wooden Car Parks etc etc etc, it's all promotional stuff to get people in. Maybe the promoter reailised that getting folk through the doors when there was SO MUCH ON may be difficult. There's enough threads on here now about these issues, does the problem or percieved problem need spelling out T-O-O M-A-N-Y V-E-N-U-E-S. This is not having a pop at anyone, you're all good people, but we all skirt around this one, but very little changes.

Des Parker

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Promoters that advertise DJ names knowing full well they wont be there, does not matter in the case of Z' ers but what about the A's is it not ripping punters of IMO

I find I'm always disheartened when the advertised djs DO turn up........ :rolleyes:

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Totally agree, one of the well know guys who runs Keele, knew that Butch would not be on, but still advertised him as being on. Even worse he was seen in Woverhampton the night before selling tickets, two for the price of one. Now that isn't fair on the punters who paid full price for a ticket. :rolleyes:

Spot on Tony i was there as well when he was selling the tickets we all knew that Buth and Mick

would not be there,and no it isn't fair on the punters

Social source share

Totally agree, one of the well know guys who runs Keele, knew that Butch would not be on, but still advertised him as being on. Even worse he was seen in Woverhampton the night before selling tickets, two for the price of one. Now that isn't fair on the punters who paid full price for a ticket. :unsure:

If Tony's info is correct then as Mr paying public I just wouldn't attend again, promtional stunt or not, to get bodies through the door. I'd be well pi**ed off after traveling 2 hours to the venue & then gleened that info sometime during the night, or is it a "Local venue for local people", perhaps Tubsy? :thumbsup:

Also as Des Parker rightly commented briefly in passing & has on the rare occassion received a mention in these hallowed pages,

"TOO MANY VENUES"

I SAID, "READ MY LIPS"

"TOO MANY VENUES"

But as my Mother says, " You won't take a blind bit of notice till it's to late, will you? Ey, will you?" :unsure:

Take care,be safe & remember, "When will they ever learn, when will they ever learn",

Spot. :thumbup:

Social source share

Totally agree, one of the well know guys who runs Keele, knew that Butch would not be on, but still advertised him as being on. Even worse he was seen in Woverhampton the night before selling tickets, two for the price of one. Now that isn't fair on the punters who paid full price for a ticket. :thumbup:

Who is this promoter then, its nice to know who to avoid for future reference.... If your facts are correct then give us a name..

Social source share

just to reinforce the point about 2 many venues...i know yawn... but look at it like this....... maybe 3000 hardcore soulies in uk,goin out constantly, a third go out 2 out of 3 weeks.............so 2000 any given weekend, 750 go out on the friday maybe..........there are around 30 events this saturday 30 into 1250 is 40 or so, one big event gets 300 , so we are lookin around 30 in at most venues :thumbup: i know there are 6000 + members on here, how many dont go out at all, or rarely, or are abroad, indisposed, unable to go out.or on here to sell[no probs]or go to there nearest venue only? the numbers tell the tale, cheers ez still no need to bullshit about djs , get a good reputation and keep it, is the only way. jose :thumbsup:

Social source share

just to reinforce the point about 2 many venues...i know yawn... but look at it like this....... maybe 3000 hardcore soulies in uk,goin out constantly, a third go out 2 out of 3 weeks.............so 2000 any given weekend, 750 go out on the friday maybe..........there are around 30 events this saturday 30 into 1250 is 40 or so, one big event gets 300 , so we are lookin around 30 in at most venues :thumbup: i know there are 6000 + members on here, how many dont go out at all, or rarely, or are abroad, indisposed, unable to go out.or on here to sell[no probs]or go to there nearest venue only? the numbers tell the tale, cheers ez still no need to bullshit about djs , get a good reputation and keep it, is the only way. jose :thumbsup:

Guess that's about the bare bones of it Ezzie - Good post :unsure:

Social source share

Promoters that advertise DJ names knowing full well they wont be there, does not matter in the case of Z' ers but what about the A's is it not ripping punters of IMO

Just wondering...if a DJ is not as good as a Z'er does the circle come round and he/she becomes an A?? :thumbup::thumbsup:

Social source share

just to reinforce the point about 2 many venues...i know yawn... but look at it like this....... maybe 3000 hardcore soulies in uk,goin out constantly, a third go out 2 out of 3 weeks.............so 2000 any given weekend, 750 go out on the friday maybe..........there are around 30 events this saturday 30 into 1250 is 40 or so, one big event gets 300 , so we are lookin around 30 in at most venues :shades: i know there are 6000 + members on here, how many dont go out at all, or rarely, or are abroad, indisposed, unable to go out.or on here to sell[no probs]or go to there nearest venue only? the numbers tell the tale, cheers ez still no need to bullshit about djs , get a good reputation and keep it, is the only way. jose :lol:

I might be wrong, but just now it seems as if there is a new breed of promotor...a new influx of new and first time promotors. Maybe / maybe not but it feels like we've gone backwards. A couple of years ago it felt like we'd got to the point where a large majority of promotors were getting organised and actually talking to each other and there was a bit of ettiquette re: avoiding clashing dates but now.... This new wave of promotors seem so disorganised and oh I'll shut up, and I dont just mean the north west either. g.gif

Maybe I'm just imagining it.

Jayne. (having a rant!) :wicked:

Social source share

The thing is I'm not having a go at new people putting on new events, and playing Devil's advocate here, maybe the old promoters have got stale, dull and unimaginitive - just a thought. The crux of the matter IS that many think there are TOO MANY EVENTS on, but how to solve that, whilst keeping the forward nature of the scene intact, and also keeping all factions happy, from R & B through to the Y2K afficianados is the BIG, BIG QUESTION.

Des Parker

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Not every new do springing up is run by middle aged wanna be dj's who can only get to dj if they start their own nite tho.

There is a new nite local to me which I don't attend for personal reasons but I must say that two of the promoters have no interest in being dj's at all and all three residents are all top quality dj's who certainly don't need to have their own soul nite in order to get bookings so there are some ppl out there who are doin it for the love not for the ego ..if you know what I mean.

It just feels like they are few and far between sometimes.

I know it don't make you more of a soul fan if you travel 100s of miles but if people didn't put up with summit mediocre just because its 100 yards from their front door then promoters would have to raise the bar wouldn't they??? Also if promoters stuck to 4/6 nites a year that would help everyone re numbers too i think.

It's late n im tired but i think that made sense...kinda

Helen

xx

Social source share

K M

Regards Butch and Mick not Djing at Keele, they were both originally booked back in January but both pulled out at the last minute due to holiday commitments. Butch will definitely be on 6th September, as he rang me (K M) last night to Confirm, as will Mick Smith.

Regards the booking of Keele - June 14th was booked on the 29th January this year - and the 6th sept and 20th december were both booked august '07.

Regards the advertising there are at least 10,000 leaflets done for each allnighter - the june allnighter was flyered up and down the country from february onwards, there are flyers out now for the allnighter on september 6th and flyers for the december 20th will be available from september the 6th onwards. The allnighters are also advertised in "Soul Up North" and "On The Scene".

Regards tickets for Keele - there has never been tickets for Keele and there never will be, there always been a pay on the door policy. Whoever said that I was selling tickets at Broad Lane, wolverhampton had better get their facts right as all I did was give Little Scotty a note on the back of another venues flyer stating he could get in for free due to cancelling his DJ booking. Little Scotty will be Djing at Keele in the not to distant future.

DONT FORGET KEELE ANNIVERSARY ALLNIGHTER SATURDAY 6TH SEPTEMBER 2008

10.00PM - 7.00AM

Thanks to everyone who came to the last one, hope to see you again......

Keith

Social source share

Regards Butch and Mick not Djing at Keele, they were both originally booked back in January but both pulled out at the last minute due to holiday commitments. Butch will definitely be on 6th September, as he rang me (K M) last night to Confirm, as will Mick Smith.

Regards the booking of Keele - June 14th was booked on the 29th January this year - and the 6th sept and 20th december were both booked august '07.

Regards the advertising there are at least 10,000 leaflets done for each allnighter - the june allnighter was flyered up and down the country from february onwards, there are flyers out now for the allnighter on september 6th and flyers for the december 20th will be available from september the 6th onwards. The allnighters are also advertised in "Soul Up North" and "On The Scene".

Regards tickets for Keele - there has never been tickets for Keele and there never will be, there always been a pay on the door policy. Whoever said that I was selling tickets at Broad Lane, wolverhampton had better get their facts right as all I did was give Little Scotty a note on the back of another venues flyer stating he could get in for free due to cancelling his DJ booking. Little Scotty will be Djing at Keele in the not to distant future.

10.00PM - 7.00AM

Keith

In regards to the above, I can confirm that Keith called me and told me the same as above. However as nobody wants to be disappointed in the future, if DJ's are not on he has booked, I am sure he will make the general public aware via Soul Source etc so that people are not travelling unnecessarily and this sort of thing will not happen again.

Social source share

10.00PM - 7.00AM

Keith

Is this the Anniversary of the "new" Keele or are you going back to when it originally started like another promoter (forgetting the place was shut for many years) lol

Mark C

Social source share

Is this the Anniversary of the "new" Keele or are you going back to when it originally started like another promoter (forgetting the place was shut for many years) lol

Mark C

its the 5th anniversary of the New Keele - since me and Mick took over....but Keele under the other promoters started in september, so its the anniversary of that too.

thanks,

keith

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!