New Century Soul Calls It A Day

Guest Chris Waterman

Guest Chris Waterman

We had planned to post this two weeks ago, but due to having to "box" things off in a professional manner, ensuring that our venue Brookfield's Wolverhampton, was left in the best possible hands of Max Millward for Soul Nights and Lifeline for All-nighters it has been delayed until now.

It is with mixed feelings that we post this, some of relief and some of sadness.

After 5 years of promoting NCS we have decided that it is time to call it a day.

We won't bore you with the details except to say that we have lost the desire and enjoyment to continue promoting in the ever increasing "Clashing Soul Calendar"

Marcelle & I would like to thank all NCS Resident DJs, at CIS Manchester, Wulfrun Hall Wolverhampton, Queens Hall Stoke, VSC London, Melody's Birmingham and lastly Brookfield's Wolverhampton, our Co promoters in these venues,

Max Millward, Neil Rushden, Phil Richards and Mace.

We would also like to thank the many people who have supported our venues, over the years and we look forward to joining you all as "punters" on a dance floor in the future.

Chris W and Marcelle

Edited by Chris Waterman
Social source share

• Replies 75
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

We had planned to post this two weeks ago, but due to having to "box" things off in a professional manner, ensuring that our venue Brookfield's Wolverhampton, was left in the best possible hands of Max Millward for Soul Nights and Lifeline for All-nighters it has been delayed until now.

It is with mixed feelings that we post this, some of relief and some of sadness.

After 5 years of promoting NCS we have decided that it is time to call it a day.

We won't bore you with the details except to say that we have lost the desire and enjoyment to continue promoting in the ever increasing "Clashing Soul Calendar"

Macelle & I would like to thank all NCS Resident DJs, at CIS Manchester, Wulfrun Hall Wolverhampton, Queens Hall Stoke, VSC London, Melody's Birmingham and lastly Brookfield's Wolverhampton, our Co promoters in these venues,

We would also like to thank the many people who have supported our venues, over the years and we look forward to joining you all as "punters" on a dance floor in the future.

Chris W and Marcelle

=================

HEARD ON THE GRAPEVINE ABOUT THIS AND WAITED TIL IT WAS CONFIRMED

YOU TWO GUYS HAVE CERTAINLY BEEN ON A JOURNEY AND HAVE PUT ON SOME FANTASTIC NIGHTS OVER THOSE 5 YUEARS

I'D LIKE TO SAY THANKS FOR THOSE NIGHTS AND THANKS FOR GIVING ME AND COUNTLESS OTHER DJ'S A CHANCE TO SHOW THEIR STUFF

IM SURE YOU'LL HAVE LOADS OF PEOPLE ASKING YOU TO THINK AGAIN BUT WHATEVER YOU DECIDE

A MASSIVE THANKS FROM ME

YOU ARE BOTH BRILLIANT PEOPLE

ALL THE BEST

MARK FREEMAN

Social source share

Chris & Binty.

Just wanna wish you both all the best, it was a pleasure working with you both at Queens Hall.

Promoting, they say, is a thankless task, but I'll say thanks anyway, for some great nights out and for also giving me the chance to play my tunes at CIS, Wulfrun and Brookfields over the last few years.

You know you'll both always be welcome as my guests at Bidds, anytime you wanna join us.

The old shark tank will be somewhat less exciting without you both in it :ohmy::)

Regards

Mace

Social source share

Chris/Marcelle, very sad new's to hear this, but I can understand your reason's for your decision. The CIS has left a lasting memory

that rate's with the best. A big thank you for all the hard work you put in and giving all of us so much enjoyment over the past 5 year's.

I look forward to seeing you both out at a venue soon.

Willie

Edited by Soulgrit
Social source share

Macelle & I would like to thank all NCS Resident DJs, at CIS Manchester, Wulfrun Hall Wolverhampton, Queens Hall Stoke, VSC London, Melody's Birmingham and lastly Brookfield's Wolverhampton, our Co promoters in these venues,

Chris W and Marcelle

HI CHRIS & MARCELLE,

I AM SO SO SAD THAT YOU HAVE DECIDED TO CALL IT A DAY! I KNOW YOU'RE REASONS & I TOTALLY RESPECT YOU FOR ALL YOU HAVE & TRIED TO DO FOR THIS SCENE OVER THE PAST 5 YRS THE VENUES, THE LIVE ACTS, THE QUALITY OF NIGHTS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN OF THE HIGHEST ORDER,& NOBODY CAN EVER TAKE THAT AWAY FROM YOU. I WOULD LIKE TO BE THE FIRST TO THANK YOU!! BRILLIANT TIMES @ THE C.I.S MANCHESTER, THE WULFRUN HALL W'TON, WHAT GREAT MEMORIES YOU HAVE LEFT ME, ON TO B'HAM, BURSLEM, BROOKFIELDS, ALL TOP QUALITY VENUES & FULL OF TOTALLY UNFORGETABLE MEMORIES!!

YOU WILL BE A BIG LOSS TO OUR SCENE & YOU KNOW THAT SHOULD YOU WISH TO COME BACK AT ANY TIME IN THE FUTURE MY DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN!!

I HAVE JUST SHED A TEAR OR TWO AT YOU'RE ANNOUNCEMENT!! BUT I DO RESPECT IT!!

I THANK YOU FOR LEAVING ME TO HANDLE "BROOKFIELDS" & WILL ENDEAVOR TO DO MY BEST TO UPHOLD YOU'RE TRADITION OF QUALITY VENUES & ENTERTAINMENT!!

CHRIS & MARCELLE I WISH YOU ALLTHE VERY BEST FOR THE FUTURE!! BE HAPPY!!

ALWAYS YOU'RE MATE!

MAX..

Social source share

Real shame, two of the better people about and very punter friendly. Remember when the rocket had a bit of a mare with the band over-running, and you put on a free night to compensate, not sure any others promoters would have done the same. Good that you'll still be out and about, maybe you'll enjoy it more without what must be massive pressure when promoting :):ohmy::shhh:

Winnie :-)

Social source share

Marcelle & I would like to thank all NCS Resident DJs, at CIS Manchester, Wulfrun Hall Wolverhampton, Queens Hall Stoke, VSC London, Melody's Birmingham and lastly Brookfield's Wolverhampton, our Co promoters in these venues,

Chris W and Marcelle

Enjoy your rest people and never say never.... Once you've recharged your batteries, you never know how you'll feel... you might have been bitten by the bug when you weren't even looking..... :)

It's a tough decision and it's got to be yours, I wont say anything to make it any harder. You've got plenty to feel very proud about anyway. Good job well done.

See you soon.

Jayne.x.

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Very sorry to hear this. I'll always remember the niters at CIS Manchester, the Ronnie Walker night at Brooklands and many others. Thanks for giving us some great times.

Matt

Social source share

Chris and Marcelle,

See you in September at the Hitsville Weekender. You can be justly proud of the promotions you did. The Philly releases, Ronnie Walker in UK, various allnighters all over the place. Looking forward to seeing you kick back, chill out and just ENJOY yourselves with like minded people when you get over here. The beers are on me.

Social source share

had the pleasure of attending one of your all nighters at brookfields wolverhampton the trip from scotland was well worth it great music policy across the board great venue friendly atmosphere magic dancefloor could go on on , and you probably wont remember had a good chat with your good self . Just want to say goodluck in the future and thanks for a memorable night up there with the best

Soulfully Kieran

Social source share

Hi Chris and Marcelle

We have some very special memories of the New Century events, never had a bad one, enjoyed working with you both and your numerous co-promoters and I still think the CIS in Manchester had/ has something very special about it. Maybe all the ghosts of the past performers and being privvy to the vast backstage areas as well gave an insight into your events that many would not normally see.

I think you "raised the bar" in event promoting and took it away from back street copy shops and scruffy villiage halls which were the norm before N.C. appeared raising the standard of events generally during the first part of the new Millenium. you also had the guts to bring over live acts, which i personally think was your strong point.

good luck in everything you plan to do

Rob & karen

Social source share

[Chris and Marcelle,

Just want to say that from the first NSC at Manchester Co-op to the last one I attended at Brookfields I have always got a very friendly welcome and the most fantastic soul music......... You always tried to give the paying customer the best ....... You will be missed on the door........but welcome on the floor! Thanks!!!! thumbup.gif

Mark

Social source share

Chris W and Marcelle

Well done , and our thanks for your sterling work and effort over the last five years ........

The NCSC's contribution to the scene has been commendable thumbsup.gif ...........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Chris W and Marcelle

BIG THANKS TO YOU BOTH FOR LETTING ME BE RESIDENT DJ AT ALL YOUR EVENTS OVER THE LAST 5 YEARS , I HAVE HAD AFEW UPS AND DOWNS IN THAT TIME AS WELL !!LOL

HAVE HAD SOME GREAT TIMES WITH YOU OVER THE YEARS PLUS ALOT OF PRESSURE TOO.

HOPE YOU CAN Take a back seat now ? you have also helped alot of other promoter with idea`s and flyers , and as Rob W say , you raised the bar on many events

ITS BEEN A PLEASURE WORKING FOR YOU . BUT THE TRUE ICING ON THE CAKE IS JUST BEING GREAT FRIENDS

STEVE T & LYD XX shhh.gif

BE HAPPY whistling.gif

Social source share

Sincere respect to all those associated with New Century Soul, certainly a big noise on the scene over the past 5 years.

Hopefully when the world and his dog has had enough of trying to put on a soul nite at every corner that houses electricity and they get tired of the hard work and dedication that they require, New Century Soul will arise once again to really show them how its all done properly. Enjoy the break while it lasts.

Best Wishes

Dawn ELSC

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Massive thank you for the fab nighters i attended in Manchester, Birmingham & Wolverhampton. See you guys out & about soon.xx biggrin.gif

Social source share

Will never forget that first all nighter at CIS - couldn't help thinking who on earth would put an event on in a venue the size of a small country!

Just showed how much I know, the place was rammed!

Have enjoyed many, many of your nights over the years, but without doubt the Fabulous Peps was one of the best nights I have ever had in 20 odd years on the soul scene.

Also meeting the lovely Mr. Ronnie Walker.

Be happy guys!

Social source share

Bummer! What a shame, you were the most visionary and delivering promoters on the scene and it is much weaker for your departure. I'm sure you both really deserve a break. Dealing with the niggles and fragile egos of the scene is tough on anyone and ironically especially on people who care.

If you fancy another bash later I'm sure there'll be a vacancy for a forward thinking promoter who puts their money where their mouth is. In the meantime just come out and have some fun, you're welcome at the 100 anytime.

Social source share

Not been tot oo many recently owing to you know what but Linda and I (Malc & Lesley) always enjoyed your nights and nighters!

They will be missed but you hopefully will be able to do a little of your own enjoying from now on.

All the best and many thanx to a great couple! :wicked:

:D

Social source share

What a shame, I loved your events, but can understand your reasons.

Maybe now you can just enjoy being a punter all the time.

Love to you both.

Kx

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Many thanks for some fantastic nights.

I'll treasure this for a long time

med_gallery_900_10_65570.jpg

Hope to see you both out and about soon :wicked:

Chris

Social source share

Guest shaunmarie

=================

HEARD ON THE GRAPEVINE ABOUT THIS AND WAITED TIL IT WAS CONFIRMED

YOU TWO GUYS HAVE CERTAINLY BEEN ON A JOURNEY AND HAVE PUT ON SOME FANTASTIC NIGHTS OVER THOSE 5 YUEARS

I'D LIKE TO SAY THANKS FOR THOSE NIGHTS AND THANKS FOR GIVING ME AND COUNTLESS OTHER DJ'S A CHANCE TO SHOW THEIR STUFF

IM SURE YOU'LL HAVE LOADS OF PEOPLE ASKING YOU TO THINK AGAIN BUT WHATEVER YOU DECIDE

A MASSIVE THANKS FROM ME

YOU ARE BOTH BRILLIANT PEOPLE

ALL THE BEST

MARK FREEMAN

as mark has said i cant say thank you enough for beliveing in me and giving me a chance at brookfields , i had heard whispers but hoped they where without foundation , i always looked forward to this event as it was so good , and it just wont be the same not seeing you there chris

will see you out and about my good friend

a massive thanks from me as well , will always rememder the help you gave me

b good mate and dont be a stranger

all the very best shaun & marie

Social source share

Already told you both this but now is my chance to say it out loud.

Chris & Marcelle thanks for the oppertunity of being one of your residents, thanks for being good friends, thanks for the laughs, thanks for putting on some of the best nighters i have attended in 30 odd years on this scene. And Marcelle you can hide behind me anytime to get your drink when Chris is on the prowl :lol: .

See you out & about soon

Ken

Social source share

Chris and Marcelle, I'm sorry to read your post. Credit to you both for what you've achieved in the last few years... your events have taken the scene to a new level! The nights at CIS and Queens Hall were amongst the best I've had anywhere.

Hopefully in time the small-minded idiots who have hassled you recently will realise just how good your events were and the selfless effort you put into then.

Hope to see you both out and about soon... enjoy your nights on the dancefloor.

Social source share

Hi Chris and Marcelle.

We'e already spoken on the phone but again it is a sad day but fully understand your reasons. It's been a pleasure to work with you, DJ for you several times and support you in what you've done. The performances of The Fabulous Peps and Ronnie Walker will stay with me for a very long time.

Hope you both enjoy your time now as "punters" and you both know you are more than welcome at Lifeline. See you both in just over a weeks time!!

Social source share

all the best to you both , thank you for helping me with the fabulous peps , they also send you the thanks and all the best , now i need a venue for THE CAPITOLS to perform at as they was planned to perform at ncs stables in September , so anyone interested pm please.

Echo the shout for help for the above. The Capitols, how good would that be!!! :boxing:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Agree with all the above. Sad to see you end your promoting, but it's your decision and everyone's gotta respect that.

Well done for all your hard work, it was much appreciated.

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Chris W and Marcelle

Sad news guy's thanks for some great nights at NCSC

Leon

Social source share

Guest calgary soulies

No one can say that you didnt give a good go,we always found you both to be sincere ,honest and profesional in everything you did ,so all the best for the future, Jue wants to know when are you going to take the lovely Marcelle down the aisle .Canada makes a beautiful honeymoon destination love and best wishes Rob n Jue x

Social source share

Guest SteveC

You know my thoughts guys - heart and soul into all you did and two of the finest friends that anyone could ever have!!!

Now relax and enjoy the scene as punters - you truly are respected regardless of any decision you've made.

Catch you both soon hopefully.

Social source share

Guest Phil Richards

Hi Chris & Marcelle,

Fully understand your decision, It's been a pleasure to co promote with you both.

You've always been straight and upfront with me, we have had some tremendous nights, Thanks to you two & Max for a resident allnighter spot, some great memories, especially the Peps at Brookfields.

Wish you both luck for the future, I know we will probably see you out and about.

Phil

Social source share

hi Chris & Marcelle

sorry to hear that youve stopped promoting events

its a hard job,people say there gonna turn up then dont,people slagging other people off as they think they are the only

people who should be running things

rumours about stuff being cancelled etc

always had a good time in CIS, Brookfields, Wulfrun hall etc

you were always about n smiling and approachable

and you supported a lot of other venues as a punter,Lowton,Anglesey etc

quite a few only go to there venues,or if theyre after a d.j spot

still you can just enjoy yourself now and when you think,i could do this better

you know your ready to come back :boxing:

best keith williams

Edited by keithw
Social source share

hi Chris & Marcelle

sorry to hear that youve stopped promoting events

its a hard job,people say there gonna turn up then dont,people slagging other people off as they think they are the only

people who should be running things

rumours about stuff being cancelled etc

always had a good time in CIS, Brookfields, Wulfrun hall etc

you were always about n smiling and approachable

and you supported a lot of other venues as a punter,Lowton,Anglesey etc

quite a few only go to there venues,or if theyre after a d.j spot

still you can just enjoy yourself now and when you think,i could do this better

you know your ready to come back thumbsup.gif

best keith williams

Keith,

Spot on post mate. Chris & Marcelle......... Ann & myself allways enjoyed ourselves @ your venues, and I would just like to say a big THANK YOU to you both, and wish you all the best for anything you do in the future.

Best Regards Ritchie & Ann. :lol:

Social source share

It was a joy and a pleasure to be there at the start and the birth of NCSC with you and Lee, a real honour to be one of the original resident DJ's despite all the ducking and diving we had to do at the start, you commitment, passion, dedication and love for the music and the scene was your driving force, Mr Waterman, Lee, Marcelle and everyone else connected with your promotions are a real class act, kick back guy's and enjoy the tuneage, you have left a major imprint on this scene that you shoul be very proud of, thanks for letting me play some small part in the NCSC legacy.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Chris W and Marcelle

Social source share

Good luck to you both! a real tough desision youve had to make.

Personally i think it a wise one and with complete dignity!

You did your utmost and not always appreciated by some,which i find all promoters have a thankless task at times.

So im sure youve made a lot of friends over the years,so now kick back and spend more time with them instead of having the constant anxiety of will things go well!

All the Best Mike Cog

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!