Gil Scott Heron On Uk Phillips

Blake H

Gil Scott Heron "Lady day & John Coltrane"/"When you are who you are" UK Phillips

Been looking out for this brilliant double sider for years to no avail, does it ever crop up in sales boxes at venues?

It never seems to turn up on Ebay either so I guess its a toughie, anyone seen it for sale recently?

BH

Social source share

AFAIK it's not mega rare, maybe just not one that people sell on because it's so good and doesn't sell for that much. I was under the impression it was £25-40 - wouldn't sell mine for that (or at all in fact)..... maybe you can flush one out here somewhere and GL in doing so wink.gif .

Social source share

Gil Scott Heron "Lady day & John Coltrane"/"When you are who you are" UK Phillips

Been looking out for this brilliant double sider for years to no avail, does it ever crop up in sales boxes at venues?

It never seems to turn up on Ebay either so I guess its a toughie, anyone seen it for sale recently?

BH

Allo Blake, I found one by chance about 6-7 years ago - not realising til then that When You Are was on a 45. I've had just one spare since then and sold it @ £25. Could have sold about 5 or 6 but only had the one. Love WYAWYA, and have cleared a few dancefloors in recent years with it......must be good !!!

Cheers Girth

Social source share

BH

hi blake

missed one on ebay about a month ago went for £12

Social source share

BH

Hi Blake

Not easy on UK mate, should be £30-£40 ish

I've had a couple on US Flying Dutchman 45 BUT they don't hang around much!!!

'Lady Day' is one of my very favourite records of all time. I could listen to it every day for the rest of my life and still never tire of it!

Good luck in your search mate

Steve

Social source share

I got a UK copy many moons ago for £3 off Mr Manship. Origanaly got in touch with him for the LP with it on and he told me he had a Flying Dutchman 45 which I said i would have but when it turned up it was the UK Phillips copy :ohmy: It`s not very often I get a result when record hunting but was very happy with this one.

Trev

Edited by Coxy
Social source share

Hi Blake,

Dont know if it`s of any help (doubt it really as I reckon you only want the 45) but Soul Brother have a copy of the album at the moment.

Trev

Social source share

Guest nusha

The album is consistantly good throughout.Includes the original version of HOME IS WHERE THE HATRED IS...Highly recommended

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi Blake,

Me and Steve Croft (and I'm pretty sure Darran played it too).

Very big record for several months.

I reviewed it in BlackBeat at the time... and can remember one guy telling me I must be a 'Jazz Freak'

:thumbsup:

Sean

Well done those men! Maybe some entrepreneur on the Northern scene could have the motto "Variety Is The Spice of Life - Right On" embroidered onto souvenir patches - perhaps that way the sentiment might actually catch on...?! laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest mel brat

The album is consistantly good throughout.Includes the original version of HOME IS WHERE THE HATRED IS...Highly recommended

Love it, but Esther Phillips' version still makes my blood run cold. One of the most chilling and genuinely emotional recordings I've ever heard.

Social source share

• 9 years later...

Hi,

Apols for bringing this thread back from the grave but I think I saw on here that Manship sold a UK one recently for about £300 and a comment that suggested it's a different take, or something? I can't find that thread tho, sorry..Can anyone provide more detail?

I do think the UK release is a rare record, Can't imagine who in the UK would have rushed out and bought it  at the time or what market they were going for!. Can only see it having had an initial, cautious pressing. And I must have gone through at least, hundreds of thousands of soul records in London / UK record shops since the early 80s and the only copy I have ever seen is the one I've got.

Catching up a bit now, maybe but I've always thought it odd how highly prized / priced UK rarities from the 60s are compared with similar items from only a few years later in the 70s.

Brilliant record by the way. GSH at his best is the greatest in my book!

Edited by JoeSoap
Social source share

56 minutes ago, codfromderby said:

Thanks for uploading that one, new one to me, awesome !

Evening mate. No problem. I was a very late comer to GSH - my loss, but I'm catching up now. Obviously, always knew about The Bottle, and the one above slightly less so but remember it being played. It is only in the last three years that I've started to get to grips with his "other" stuff - poet, rapper, writer, singer, performer, director - much of which was focused on black american rights and politics. 

A real genius, exceptionally cool, probably one of the most important contemporary artists going. And absolutely one of my top five artists now. 

God Bless Gil. 

Pete

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

6 hours ago, geeselad said:

esther's slaughters Gil's imho

Aren't you thinking of 'Home Is Where The Hatred Is' though? Agree the Esther Philips version of that is outstanding (didn't it win a Grammy or Aretha, who won the Grammy, said Esther should have won it..?) But not sure it 'slaughters' GSH's version tho. They are both top drawer but different. And then there's Gil's live version - out of this fucking world for me, that!

Edited by JoeSoap
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

31 minutes ago, JoeSoap said:

Aren't you thinking of 'Home Is Where The Hatred Is' though? Agree the Esther Philips version of that is outstanding (didn't it win a Grammy or Aretha, who won the Grammy, said Esther should have won it..?) But not sure it 'slaughters' GSH's version tho. They are both top drawer but different. And then there's Gil's live version - out of this fucking world for me, that!

You're spot on youth. Tis hiwthi  I'm talking about. I've loved Gil for years, and I saw him in the 90s when he played gillies rock world in Manchester.  first time he didn't show and his band played alone, the midnight express were awesome. So I aoologise, a school boy error.the live version is wicked, not heard before, any idea what album it's on? 

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!