On The Soul Side @ Loft Bar,bournemouth Uni

Well,what can we say.Another "On The Soul Side" has been and gone.

Musically it was yet another great night with some quality 60's/70's soul music played.

We'd would personally like to say a Big Thank You to the dj's for the evening who were - Keith & Maxine Woon,Andy Crane and Simon Preston.Keith played a superb set of Across the Board dancers which got the people up.

Maxine carried it on with a couple of spots that covered the spectrum of our wonderful music.

Andy did us proud with a couple of quality sets and Simon did what Simon does - the unexpected as his final set showed where he played some fantastic dancers that wouldn't break the bank (all under £50 ).

I did a couple of spots which were just solid uptempo oldies.My playlist to follow later.

We had around 40 in which considering there was another do on in town we were happy with.Numbers aren't too great down here for reasons that escape us( maybe someone else can explain why ).

A big thanks to everyone that came along including Bob and his mates who were down on a stag do from Leicester but came here instead :thumbup::thumbsup: of going on the Razz with the rest of them.Nice to hold that winning scratch card (£10k) wouldn't mind it ourselves.

Also good to see Jorge who I haven't seen since I dj'ed for in Wincanton a few years ago.

One small inconvenience ( sorry about the pun ) was the toilets.The main ones were out for refurbishment and the others down by reception were heavily used earlier due to it being Open Day.Also the temporary ones had been hit.

We personally didn't know about this until we got there to set so we'd like to offer our apologies to everyone about them.We'll be talking to the manager at some stage about lack of communication.

Next one is Sat.August 16th when we have the Exeter Soul Boys- Mick Lloyd & Mischief on plus Paul McKay and Dr. Pickles.

It'll be good to see a few more supporting us because we think we've got a great venue and musically we're going in the right direction.

Dave & Viv.

Edited by Dave Morris
  • Replies 16
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Dr Pickles

Next one is Sat.August 16th when we have the Exeter Soul Boys- Mick Lloyd & Mischief on plus Paul McKay and Dr. Pickles.

Dave & Viv.

Hi Dave

Really looking forward to this night.

Enthusiastic DJ's

Beautiful Bournemouth

Soul by the sea

Lovely Venue

Fantastic sounds

Got to be Pimms o'clock with that lot. m_6a5f74f5431f6f78e21f7f8f4ea34f99.jpg

This is Lou's home town and she'll be looking to it paint red. Hope to be bringing a few down with us to show what the south coast can offer. Better make sure the air con is working in there :thumbup: .

All the best

Doc

Musically it was yet another great night with some quality 60's/70's soul music played.

We'd would personally like to say a Big Thank You to the dj's for the evening who were - Keith & Maxine Woon,Andy Crane and Simon Preston.Keith played a superb set of Across the Board dancers which got the people up.

Maxine carried it on with a couple of spots that covered the spectrum of our wonderful music.

Andy did us proud with a couple of quality sets and Simon did what Simon does - the unexpected as his final set showed where he played some fantastic dancers that wouldn't break the bank (all under £50 ).

I did a couple of spots which were just solid uptempo oldies.My playlist to follow later.

We had around 40 in which considering there was another do on in town we were happy with.Numbers aren't too great down here for reasons that escape us( maybe someone else can explain why ).

A big thanks to everyone that came along including Bob and his mates who were down on a stag do from Leicester but came here instead :wicked::lol: of going on the Razz with the rest of them.Nice to hold that winning scratch card (£10k) wouldn't mind it ourselves.

Also good to see Jorge who I haven't seen since I dj'ed for in Wincanton a few years ago.

One small inconvenience ( sorry about the pun ) was the toilets.The main ones were out for refurbishment and the others down by reception were heavily used earlier due to it being Open Day.Also the temporary ones had been hit.

We personally didn't know about this until we got there to set so we'd like to offer our apologies to everyone about them.We'll be talking to the manager at some stage about lack of communication.

It'll be good to see a few more supporting us because we think we've got a great venue and musically we're going in the right direction.

Dave & Viv.

Dave & Viv.... yeah really enjoyed it and sorry missed the early spots. Love the venue, great floor and tunes. Don't know which DJ was which but all did fine with a couple of spots right up my street. Thought I must be back at Wigan with 100mph stompers all the way (Velvet Satins, Jades etc), but not sure my legs are quite up to it anymore. Certainly kept me and the Leeds lass happy. Musically, you all did great, no complaints but who kept swapping the signs round on the portaloos! I think you only need another 30 or so then it'll be bangin', stick at it guys, youv'e got a great little club there. see you soon.

Jorge & Daisy

Guest Dave Mortimore

My wife, Jan and I arrived later than we had hoped at around 10.15 p.m. and had just missed Simon Preston's first set, which according to Ian Watt from Dorchester had been full of rare soul of real quality. Later on, Dave Morris delivered his first set, which was full of stompers from the likes of Johnny Sayles and Joe Hicks as he had promised and more notably Al Wilson's - 'Help Me'. So I was well pleased. Keith & Maxime Woon played a selection of across the board soul of which 'A tribute to Betty Wright' went down really well with a packed dancefloor.

...Well, contrary to a famous saying, I did get too much of a good thing on Saturday night. At the end of which, my legs ached. As soon as I got home, I must have downed half a gallon of water to replenish my extremely dehydrated body.

.....And it's all my own fault! . I've consistently requested uptempo and pacey sounds in the past, which has resulted in the odd stomper or classic oldie in amongst the more usual mid-tempo numbers. Well this time I got both barrels from Simon Preston and Dave Morris's 2nd sets. Simon unleashed some really fast racey numbers (some of which were unfamiliar) that just had to be danced to at a manic pace. Instead of slowing things down to more pedestrian type stuff, Dave followed with a couple of medium pacers, notably J.J. Daniels - 'Mr. Lonesome' and then continued right to the end with more fast stompers, such as Vonettes - 'Touch my heart' which I hadn't heard in decades and a new one to my ears, Lou Courtney - 'Me and you doing the Boogaloo'. The music just didn't relent and kept the dancing energetic, fully stretching my now tired lower limbs.

..The departure in music policy was in line with the crowds demand on the night. Slower numbers weren't having the same affect earlier on, so full marks for hitting the right music for the occasion.

....Many Thanks!..........Dave & Jan Mortimore

Dave & Viv.... yeah really enjoyed it and sorry missed the early spots. Love the venue, great floor and tunes. Don't know which DJ was which but all did fine with a couple of spots right up my street. Thought I must be back at Wigan with 100mph stompers all the way (Velvet Satins, Jades etc), but not sure my legs are quite up to it anymore. Certainly kept me and the Leeds lass happy. Musically, you all did great, no complaints but who kept swapping the signs round on the portaloos! I think you only need another 30 or so then it'll be bangin', stick at it guys, youv'e got a great little club there. see you soon.

Jorge & Daisy

Portaloos had nowt to do with me. :wicked: Glad you both enjoyed the night.It was good to catch up after so long.

Dave & Viv.

My wife, Jan and I arrived later than we had hoped at around 10.15 p.m. and had just missed Simon Preston's first set, which according to Ian Watt from Dorchester had been full of rare soul of real quality. Later on, Dave Morris delivered his first set, which was full of stompers from the likes of Johnny Sayles and Joe Hicks as he had promised and more notably Al Wilson's - 'Help Me'. So I was well pleased. Keith & Maxime Woon played a selection of across the board soul of which 'A tribute to Betty Wright' went down really well with a packed dancefloor.

...Well, contrary to a famous saying, I did get too much of a good thing on Saturday night. At the end of which, my legs ached. As soon as I got home, I must have downed half a gallon of water to replenish my extremely dehydrated body.

.....And it's all my own fault! . I've consistently requested uptempo and pacey sounds in the past, which has resulted in the odd stomper or classic oldie in amongst the more usual mid-tempo numbers. Well this time I got both barrels from Simon Preston and Dave Morris's 2nd sets. Simon unleashed some really fast racey numbers (some of which were unfamiliar) that just had to be danced to at a manic pace. Instead of slowing things down to more pedestrian type stuff, Dave followed with a couple of medium pacers, notably J.J. Daniels - 'Mr. Lonesome' and then continued right to the end with more fast stompers, such as Vonettes - 'Touch my heart' which I hadn't heard in decades and a new one to my ears, Lou Courtney - 'Me and you doing the Boogaloo'. The music just didn't relent and kept the dancing energetic, fully stretching my now tired lower limbs.

..The departure in music policy was in line with the crowds demand on the night. Slower numbers weren't having the same affect earlier on, so full marks for hitting the right music for the occasion.

....Many Thanks!..........Dave & Jan Mortimore

Dave & Jan,

So glad you enjoyed the night.I did warn that I was going to play full on uptempo stuff.Hope the aching limbs recover soon.We'll see you out and about. :wicked:

Dave & Viv

My playlists -

8.00 - 8.30 in no particular order :

The Butlers - Laugh Laugh Laugh - Phila

Fabulous Dimensions - I Can't Take It Baby - Sapphire

Fuller Bros - Moaning Groaning & Crying - Keymen

Fred Hughes - Don't Let Me Down - Vee Jay

Irma & The Fascinators - Just A Feeling - Scepter

Linda Jones - I Can't Stop Loving My Baby - Loma

Bobby Joy - You Sweet Devil You - TRC

Betty Lavette - Only Your Love Can Save Me - Pama UK

Barbara Mason - Bobby Is My Baby - Arctic

The Visitors - What About Me - TRC

11.15 - 11.45 in no particular order :

Lou Courtney - Me & You Doin' The Boogaloo - Riverside (boot)

Joe Hicks - Don't It Make You Feel Funky - AGC

Etta James - Seven Day Fool - Argo

The Profiles - Take A Giant Step - Goldie

Bob Relf - Blowin' My Mind To Pieces - Trans American

The Sapphires - Gonna Be A Big Thing - ABC demo

Johnny Sayles - I Can't Get Enough - St Lawrence

Gerri Thomas - Look What I've Got - World Artists demo

Mel Torme - Comin' Home - Atlantic

Williams & Watson - Too Late - Okeh

Al Wilson - Help Me - Wand demo

JJ Barnes - Please Let Me In - Ric Tic (request)

01.15 - 02.00 again not in order :

Artistics - The Chase Is On - Brunswick

Autographs - I Can Do It - Okeh

Little Carl Carlton - Competition Ain't Nothing - Backbeat

JJ Daniels - Mr Lonesome - Sureshot

Don Gardner - My BabyLikes To Boogaloo - Tru Glo Town

Gale Garnett - I'll Cry Alone - RCA

Earl Grant - Hide Nor Hair - Decca

Herman Griffin - Dream Girl - Mercury

Hesitations - I'm Not Built That Way - Kapp

Anita Humes - What Did I Do - Roulette

Tommy Neal - Goin' To A Happening - Vocalion UK

Dean Parrish - Determination - Boom

Jimmy Robbins - I Can't Please You - Jerhart

Spellbinders - Help Me - Columbia

The Tymes - Here She Comes - Parkway

The Vonettes - Touch My Heart - Cobblestone

Calvin Williams - Lonely You'll Be - Atco

Dave.

A big thanks to everyone that came along including Bob and his mates who were down on a stag do from Leicester but came here instead :unsure::) of going on the Razz with the rest of them.Nice to hold that winning scratch card (£10k) wouldn't mind it ourselves.

Dave & Viv.

Totally agree with whats been said, a great nite for soul lovers, with a good mixture of classic and seriously rare underplayed stuff. Simon put a lot of under 50 quid sounds on [ try finding them , no chance ] that were probably first plays this far down south, but peps still danced, which is encouraging. So come on people get down to the next one.

Totally agree with whats been said, a great nite for soul lovers, with a good mixture of classic and seriously rare underplayed stuff. Simon put a lot of under 50 quid sounds on [ try finding them , no chance ] that were probably first plays this far down south, but peps still danced, which is encouraging. So come on people get down to the next one.

Well said Tim.Have already started looking for a couple of them that Simon played.

Dave.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Jorge & Daisy

Yes, it was a very memorable night. So, Daisy is the name of the nice lass from Leeds whom Jan & I spoke with on the evening. Hope we didn't bore her with the tribulations of getting our tribe settled down before getting out that evening. You certainly enjoyed yourselves on the dancefloor, as we did. You just can't beat a session of soul aerobics to satisfy the mind and body.

We hope you have a nice trip out to Rimini for their festival of soul. Maybe we'll bump into each other again on the circuit?

....Dave & Jan Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore

Yes, it was a very memorable night. So, Daisy is the name of the nice lass from Leeds whom Jan & I spoke with on the evening. Hope we didn't bore her with the tribulations of getting our tribe settled down before getting out that evening. You certainly enjoyed yourselves on the dancefloor, as we did. You just can't beat a session of soul aerobics to satisfy the mind and body.

We hope you have a nice trip out to Rimini for their festival of soul. Maybe we'll bump into each other again on the circuit?

....Dave & Jan Mortimore

Dave you probably will bump into them as Jorge has said he's going to try to make another do.Also he may well be doing a spot for me next year.

:lol:

Guest Dave Mortimore

Dave you probably will bump into them as Jorge has said he's going to try to make another do.Also he may well be doing a spot for me next year.

:thumbsup:

Me and yooooou!........Doin' the Boogaloo. I've searched it out on the web and played it so many times since that it's constantly in my head. such is the addictive affect that this type of Northern Soul has on the mind. Sometimes you just live and breath this stuff and what's more, looking at your playlist it's one you won't normally pull out of your record box. At last some sanity! This has to be played in the future.

Me and yooooou!........Doin' the Boogaloo. I've searched it out on the web and played it so many times since that it's constantly in my head. such is the addictive affect that this type of Northern Soul has on the mind. Sometimes you just live and breath this stuff and what's more, looking at your playlist it's one you won't normally pull out of your record box. At last some sanity! This has to be played in the future.

Dave,

From what I can gather its originally LP track only.Believe thats rare in itself.It was booted back in the 70's due to popular plays at either the Torch or Wigan(sure someone will correct me on this).

I bought it around the mid 70's and recognition must go to Steve Csordas from Fareham who started playing it a while ago and reminded me just what a bloody fantastic dancer this is.

Guest Dave Mortimore

Dave,

From what I can gather its originally LP track only.Believe thats rare in itself.It was booted back in the 70's due to popular plays at either the Torch or Wigan(sure someone will correct me on this).

I bought it around the mid 70's and recognition must go to Steve Csordas from Fareham who started playing it a while ago and reminded me just what a bloody fantastic dancer this is.

You know what Dave, it wouldn't surprise me if Lou Courtney's - Me and you doin' the Boogaloo came from the Torch era. It just has that feel to it. I thought I had heard all of the earlier stomping sounds of note, but it shows how wrong you can be. Simon Preston informed me that Harvey Scales - Too good to be true was played at the Torch, another one that had escaped me, as I'm sure I would have registered it into the old memory.

..Please keep surprising me! It makes me wonder what you've got hidden away in your collection? There's so much mileage in the amount of music out there that has to played in a dancehall environment.

hi, been to a couple of dos at the uni at dylans and the loft bar.. cant fault the music or the choice of djs.. in my opinion dylans wasnt a great venue i personally like a seperate dance floor it seemed you turned away from the bar and was on the dancefloor. the loft bar a much better choice. i know there was another do on in town and dont know how well attended that was.. the bournemouth crowd are an odd bunch, i know im from bournemouth.! we done the railway and thats really taken off. so persevere and im sure the numbers will grow. see you soon. sean n helen

hi, been to a couple of dos at the uni at dylans and the loft bar.. cant fault the music or the choice of djs.. in my opinion dylans wasnt a great venue i personally like a seperate dance floor it seemed you turned away from the bar and was on the dancefloor. the loft bar a much better choice. i know there was another do on in town and dont know how well attended that was.. the bournemouth crowd are an odd bunch, i know im from bournemouth.! we done the railway and thats really taken off. so persevere and im sure the numbers will grow. see you soon. sean n helen

Hi Sean & helen,

Many thanks for your comments.We're staying in the Loft Bar.The move to Dylans last time was a last minute one due to bar manager.

Think the numbers at the other do were similar.We intend to stick at it plus next year we have a new resident dj - Danny North who has come up with a couple of ideas for moving things on.

So watch this space as they say.

Hope to see you soon,

Dave.

Source Advert