Frankie Beverly On Sassy

Guest Matt Male

Guest Matt Male

Frankie Beverly - If That's What You Wanted - Sassy issue

Sassy s -1002 A - 2

Even though this matrix number is scratched in it's an original isn't it?

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sassy s -1002 A - 2

hi matt- im sure it has not been booted on sassy i know that the white demo has frankford and wayne stamped in the run out groove not sure if the red issue has this on also never had one anybody else got some info on this im sure yours is original

Social source share

Sassy s -1002 A - 2

Yes it is Matt, number is scratched in, then there's an F/W scratched in, then a proper Frankford/Wayne stamp

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Yes it is Matt, number is scratched in, then there's an F/W scratched in, then a proper Frankford/Wayne stamp

Yes there's a scratched F/W as well but no F/W stamp. I'm assuming only the demo has the stamp then? Just want to be sure before i try and sell it.

Here's a couple of scans.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

F/W only scratched on "Love Your Pain Goes Deep" side, cant see it on ITWYW side, wonder if it's different on the one with "Just Another B Side"

steve

Ah that's it then, i've got the issue with 'Just another B side' F/W scratched on both sides.

Social source share

I gave this away with a load of boots in early 80's as always thought this was a boot then. OUCH!!!

Hi Jock,we have all done things like that Mate :rolleyes::rolleyes: ,

only kept hold of mine for the flip "Love (your pain goes deeper)"

a great Slab of Soul,take it easy fella thumbsup.gif

Dave f..........

Edited by Dave Fleming
Social source share

Your right,it was booted on "Liberty Bell" and "Out of The Past"

Dave f..........

Thanks Dave.

No reference books here but could never remember a Sassy boot.

Some talk when Neil R found literally 1000's but they were all orig.

Tabs

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Thanks everyone.

Dave i think the differences in matrix numbers are because there seem to be two different issues, mine has 'This is Just a B side' on the flip.

Safe to stick on ebay then.

Social source share

Thanks everyone.

Dave i think the differences in matrix numbers are because there seem to be two different issues, mine has 'This is Just a B side' on the flip.

Safe to stick on ebay then.

matt to save you the hassle puttin it on ebay ill offer you £50 NOTES FOR IT MATE :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

What's the B-side like Matt any good.

A sort of mid-tempo funky instrumental. Not bad, but would be better than ITWYW if it had a vocal attached i reckon.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Your right,it was booted on "Liberty Bell" and "Out of The Past"

Dave f..........

...and the copies on Sassy hadn't been discovered then (late 1973). Neil Rushton got the first Sassy copies directly from Billy Jackson C.1977/8.

Social source share

...and the copies on Sassy hadn't been discovered then (late 1973). Neil Rushton got the first Sassy copies directly from Billy Jackson C.1977/8.

I had my Sassy copy about 2 or 3 years before Neil turned up shed loads.

Mine was frankford/ wayne stamped.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Ok, Right. But my main point was that it wouldn't have been booted on SASSY in 1973, as the bootleggers weren't aware of them, hence the facsimile 'Liberty Bell' copies.

Social source share

Ok, Right. But my main point was that it wouldn't have been booted on SASSY in 1973, as the bootleggers weren't aware of them, hence the facsimile 'Liberty Bell' copies.

First time I saw a Sassy copy was at the Raven in '73 Sam played it , Later my mate Kevin bought a copy on Gamble so we all thought that the Sassy copirs were boots, Liberty Belle is the publishing company?

Social source share

First time I saw a Sassy copy was at the Raven in '73 Sam played it , Later my mate Kevin bought a copy on Gamble so we all thought that the Sassy copirs were boots, Liberty Belle is the publishing company?

Another Frank Beverly an Butlers release "She Tried To Kiss Me" came out on Liberty Bell which was the lable not a publishing co.

steve

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Apologies, I wasn't aware the Sassy copies were around so early on! (Ya' live and learn!) :wicked:

It was common practice for bootleggers to mock-up a plausible "local label" facsimile in those days in an effort to fool the unwary - and they're still at it.

I used to have "She Tried To Kiss Me" - credited to just the Butlers I think - on Liberty Bell. Black label with silver type if memory serves(?)

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

i payed 5p for a copy of the above record from a charity shop to do with saving seals in gt yarmouth in the mid 80s just dont find them little touches anymore :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

i payed 5p for a copy of the above record from a charity shop to do with saving seals in gt yarmouth in the mid 80s just dont find them little touches anymore :wave:

Tch! - just find endless copies of Ken Dodd's "Tears" n' stuff in charity shops 'round here! :lol:

Social source share

Sassy copies around before I found a load (800 plus) at Billy Jackson's flat in New York, but I think I was the first to find any white demos and flip side with "This Is Just A B Side".

Billy said he never distributed them because he did a deal with Gamble-Huff soon after pressing up the Sassy copies.

Neil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert