Select your Stax

Mike

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My first memory of the Stax label was around 1968, when my brother (who was into chart soul at the time) brought home "Shake/634-5789" by Otis Redding.

I even remember "Shake" distinctly jumping on the intro (in the same place every time) on our Dansette Tempo!! But for its early childhood memory, it's "Shake" by Otis Redding that has a firm place in my heart.

Gene

Social source share

My favourite Stax track has got to be John Gary Williams' 'The whole damn world is going crazy' and for good measure, the B-side is his take on 'Ask the lonely'.

Not a 'typical' Stax sound but it still oozes class. As beautiful a piece of mid-tempo crossover as you're ever likely to come across - definitely one to make the hairs on the back of the neck stand on end!

Brian

Social source share

Don't know if this is sacrilege, but I prefer the Stax records after Jim stewart and Estelle Axton left. The whole of the Soul Children's Friction lp is the apex of commercial southern soul as an artform. Sandra Wright's lp is amazing too. But as a celebration of all that's good about Stax what about Eddie Floyd's Bring It On Home To Me? Everything about it oozes soul, good times and then some.

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Must admit not a lover of the "normal" Stax sound probably why i like the odder Stax choons A recent ace beat ballad that shocked me when i lplayed it was Eddie Jefferson "Ugh I'm In Love" plods along nicely Flynny said he actually gave it a spin at the Dome then a few others that have grabbed my attention

William Bell You've Got The love

The Man In The Street is that Johnny Taylor or William Bell ? doh!

then of course JG Williams.

DJ

Social source share

I mainly got into soul by listening to Stax sounds from Otis, Aretha, Sam & Dave etc, in the early '70s. But one track I probably havn't heard since god knows when is one of the few "Northern" Stax tracks and that is "Changes" Johnny Taylor. Don't know what happened to my copy, but what a track.

Social source share

My first Stax record was Sittin On The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Redding but there are oh so many other great Stax recordings ( just take a listen to some of the boxed sets ) Personal favourites have to be Never Let You Go - Eddie Floyd & Mavis Staples, Who's Makin Love - Johnny Taylor and the timeless Private Number - William Bell & Judy Clay. Great label, great music and the pure blend of black and white people making class soul music.

Social source share

never been a huge Stax fan either but a few trax that to spring to mind that i have crtanly enjoyed over the years are :-

WENDY RENE - BAR-B-Q

JOHNNY TAYLOR - FRIDAY NIGHT

ASTORS - TWILIGHT ZONE

TEMPREES - AT LAST

Grant

Social source share

I would be grateful to anyone with information about a track called The Hawg Pt 1 by Eddie Kirk on Volt. I have a copy and it's one of my fav instrumental tracks but I'm having trouble getting background information and some idea of it's price etc.

Any info would be appreciated

Ta

Richard

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Richard

Try putting this search line into Google - it came up with a few references when I did a quick search - maybe you can find what you want from the various site links:

eddie kirk discography hawg

I have checked the John Manship Guide for price - but it does not appear in it. This means either John has never had the record pass through his hands or that it is worth less than about £10.

Good luck with your search

Brian

Social source share

Thanks for that Brian. The Eddie Kirk track is a bit of an odd one really. I've been searching around for 5 years or so and never seen another copy for sale appart from the one I have. I've read there was a reissue on Atlantic but never seen that for sale either. I've tried loads of dealers but they seem to have never heard of it.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

I think me and my mate bought nearly everything that came out on Stax and Atlantic from about '66 onwards. I loved the Stax sound and of course Otis, but also Sam & Dave and Eddie Floyd. Favourite - can't do it, but Rufus Thomas "Memphis Train" still sounds the biz!

Ray

Social source share

For me, it is Colette Kelly " City Of Fools" i know it was a Volt

release but still a part of the wonderful Stax family,have you read Soulsville the story of Stax, mighty fine and interesting read.

Brett

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

The Stax single has got to be Johnny Taylor "Who's Making Love".It still floats my boat after nearly 30 years. For a downbeat track Private Number is hard to follow!

Social source share

I picked up a UK released Stax album from a car boot a few years ago now for a £1.

Its called: Stax Northern Disco Sounds (STXB 3002)

The tracks on it are as follows:

Side 1

At Last by The Temprees

Happy by William Bell

Wade In The Water by Little Sonny

Friday Night by Johnnie Taylor

There's Gonna Be A Showdown by Rance Allen

Free For All by Mel & Tim

Side 2

You Need A Friend Like Mine by Annette Thomas

Oh La De Da by The Staple Singers

Bet You I Win by Little Milton

That's The Story Of My Life by Major Lance

Chains Of Love by Jimmy Hughes

The Right Track by Jones & Blumberg

Medicine Bend by Margie Joseph

It dates from 1975 and there's sleevenotes from Ian Dewhirst on it. There's also a mention for the album 'Stax Southern Disco Sounds', which I've never seen. I won't ask the value of my album because firstly I'm not selling it and secondly I wasn't ripped off for a Quid!

One last thing has anybody ever been to a Northern Disco?

Social source share

I'm a lifelong Northern Soul fan AND a huge fan of all eras of Stax especially the earliest era! Only a matter of time before all those blinkered Northern fans who never cared much for Stax cotton on to all the Stax records they ignorantly never bothered to listen to and start to pay ridiculous prices for!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me CL Blast's "Double Up" or Ruby Johnson's "Weakspot" any time over those dirgy Detroit one off's with constipated lead vocalists !!!!

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard. Re; Eddie Kirk. I found 3 copies of this at Kop's in Toronto in the mid 80's & sold 2 copies at £15 each then. I found another copy a few months ago that I sold very quickly on ebay for £50. Eddie Kirk is/was a Detroit bluesman who became the guitarist in the Otis Redding band & I may have seen him at the Otis Redding Show in Liverpool in '67. He must have had a thing about pigs because he also did Hog Killing Time on King records & the incredible The Grunt on the Detroit Fortune label. Similar to The Hawg but much faster.

Slim.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Stax/Volt/Enterprise/Truth/We Produce e.tc has plenty of good stuff!!

These are my faves

William Bell "man in the street" Stax

Limitations "all because of you" Volt

Ilana "where would you be today" Volt

Margie Joseph "one more chance" "nobody" e.tc. Volt

Darrell Banks "i'm the one who loves you" Volt

Fiestas "sometimes storm" Respect

Colette Kelly "city of fools" Volt

Wendy Rene "after the laughter" Stax

Mad Lads "did my baby call?" Volt

Kilo "days" Stax/Fantasy

Shirley Brown "love starved" Stax/Fantasy

Lenny Williams "love therapy" Volt/fantasy

Bessie Banks "try to leave me if you can" Volt

JG Williams "come what may" Truth

JG Williams "the whole damn world.. " Stax

Newcomers "the whole world is a picture show" Truth

Sandra Wright "midnight affair" Truth

Major Lance "since i lost my babys love" Volt

Paul Thompson "special kind of woman" Volt

Randy Brown "if it's love that you want" Stax/Fantasy

Johnny Taylor "i dont want to lose you" Stax

Charmells "sea shell" Volt

Charmells "as long as i got you" Volt

e.tc. e.tc.

best

Leo

Social source share

Couple of Stax Stompers:

Stingers - I refuse to be Lonely - STA 0035 X

Mine's Canadian - are they all? Most times I see this record it's double sided Promos of the funky A side.

Memphis Nomads - Don't Pass Your Judgment - 45 - 243

This blue eyed stomper was a charity record pressed by Stax and distributed by "The Memphis and Shelby County Chapter of the March of Dimes" ....whatever that is. Any more info most welcome!!

By the way, just recently joined this list and looking forward to making the odd contribution. I've already enjoyed reading other people's postings.

Cheers,

Tooley

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

A few more..

Barbra Lewis "many grooves of" (Enterprise Lp)

Barbra Lewis "ask the lonely" (Enterprise)

Isaac hayes "wonderful" (Enterprise)

Emotions "blind alley" (Volt)

Emotions "if you think it you might aswell do it" (Volt.. forgot the lp titel)

Emotions "so i can love you" (Volt lp.. a few good tracks on this..)

Margie Joseph "i'll always love you" & "taking all the love i can" (Volt Lp "phase 2")

Ollie & the Nightingales "you're leaving me" (Stax)

Newcomers "open up your heart (let me in)" (Volt)

Epsilons "the echo" (Stax)

Staple Singers "trippin on your love" (Stax/fantasy Lp)

Bessie Banks "try to leave me if you can" (Volt)

Rance Allen Group "ain't no need in crying" (Truth)

Shirley Brown "yes sir brother" (Truth)

Kim Weston "little by little bit by bit" (Truth)

Joshie Jo Amrstead "i feel the vibes" (Truth)

Roz Ryan "you're my only temptation" (Volt)

And i love the unreleased Art Jerry Miller "put me in the mood"...

Plenty more...

best

Leo

Social source share

some more Stax/ Volt 45's,

William Bell...Don't Stop Now...blinding northern

Barbara Stevens...I Dont Worry...great soulful RnB

Dino& Doc...A woman can't do...uptempo northern duet

Drapels ...Wondering...Midtempo group featuring Betty Rene

Admirals...Got you on my mind...lovely midtempo group dancer

Cheers, Perry

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

There is a massive wealth of quality Soul from the Stax family of labels a couple of my favourites include

Barabara & Joe - Don't you know it's alright - Respect

The whole Sandra Wright Album

Emotions - Stealing Love - Volt

Margie Joseph - One more chance - Volt

practically anything by Rance Allen

the list is endless.....

John

Social source share

Guest micksmith

JOHNNY TAYLOR-AINT THAT LOVING YOU.

PAUL THOMPSON-SPECIAL KIND OF WOMEN.

BAR-KAYS- KNUCKLEHEAD.

WILLIAM BELL-TRIBUTE TO A KING.

CARLA THOMAS-PICK UP THE PIECES.

LINDA LYNDELL-BRING YOURLOVE BACK TO ME.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Slow day at work, a couple more..

Rance Allen Group "i know a man who" (Truth album track)

Otis Redding "i made a mistake" (this ballad is sooo good..)

Mable John "running out"

best

Leo

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I was listening to a corker this morning the utterly marvelous although sadly unreleased stax outing, therefore CD only, Rance Allen - Everybody's talkin'

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!