Record Finds In Peculiar Places

A couple of years ago i was at a record fair in york, had looked through all the sixties section as you do, then decided to have a look at a guys stuff who looked like one of z z top, going through loads of heavy metal picture discs, and there right in the middle was a copy of THE FOXES I JUST MIGHT FALL IN LOVE-ABC W/D he gave me it put it in a brown paper bag as quick as possible so his tattoo clad friends didn`t see :thumbup: and 50p changed hands, wheres the most peculiar place youve turned up soul music :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Not me, but my dad used to work with a mohicaned punk rocker.

One day he said "your lad likes Northern Soul doesnt he? Want to buy two records off me for a quid?"

Dad brought home a one sided boot type thing of Mel williams - Can It Be Me, and a mint copy of Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows on Golden Triangle.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

A couple of years ago i was at a record fair in york, had looked through all the sixties section as you do, then decided to have a look at a guys stuff who looked like one of z z top, going through loads of heavy metal picture discs, and there right in the middle was a copy of THE FOXES I JUST MIGHT FALL IN LOVE-ABC W/D he gave me it put it in a brown paper bag as quick as possible so his tattoo clad friends didn`t see :thumbup: and 50p changed hands, wheres the most peculiar place youve turned up soul music :thumbup:

Might be the same bloke who sold me a real Paula Parfitt out of a 'rock' section at Brighton record fair for £15!

Social source share

This one is so bizarre it sounds made up. Bloke rang me up about 9 years back, I was still living in Hastings, said did I want to look at his collection, so I went to see them. He was about 60 this bloke, Elvis fanatic, and there were about 2000 lp's and 500 or so singles. I said I was only interested in looking at the singles, but he wanted me to take the lot. Anyway, he had a separate box in which there were about a dozen UK demos, all had some degree of water damage, some a little, some a lot - I said where did you get these from, and he said he was working on a building site and he's found them dumped in this old building, said they'd probably been there for years. Right in the middle of them was a UK decca Frankie & Johnny demo :thumbup:

Social source share

This one is so bizarre it sounds made up. Bloke rang me up about 9 years back, I was still living in Hastings, said did I want to look at his collection, so I went to see them. He was about 60 this bloke, Elvis fanatic, and there were about 2000 lp's and 500 or so singles. I said I was only interested in looking at the singles, but he wanted me to take the lot. Anyway, he had a separate box in which there were about a dozen UK demos, all had some degree of water damage, some a little, some a lot - I said where did you get these from, and he said he was working on a building site and he's found them dumped in this old building, said they'd probably been there for years. Right in the middle of them was a UK decca Frankie & Johnny demo :thumbup:

RESULT!!!! :thumbup: i have a friend who lives in york, big rockabilly/rock n roll collector, apparently or so he says they don`t differentiate in price between demo`s and issues, in fact he said they`d rather have issues, got a nice frank lyndon demo of him, and a copy of charlie gracie he`ll never love you like i do on stateside, also a similar sort of story to yours pete he took me to a guys house who used to work for the bbc who he got a lot of stuff off he was also a rock n roll nut, but got some nice demo`s off him things like john drevars etc :D

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

may i take this oppertunity to appologise for any rediculous mailing to this site since the begining of my alcoholic binge. i love to read all the opinions and stuff... i have many memories which i also have in common with yourselves...a lot of my friends who were northern soul fans are now dead, due to alcohol, so i do find sites like this comforting.

keep the faith

will chelsea win the english league? for betting purposes only!

Social source share

Guest moggy

may i take this oppertunity to appologise for any rediculous mailing to this site since the begining of my alcoholic binge. i love to read all the opinions and stuff... i have many memories which i also have in common with yourselves...a lot of my friends who were northern soul fans are now dead, due to alcohol, so i do find sites like this comforting.

keep the faith

will chelsea win the english league? for betting purposes only!

:D:thumbup:

Welcome

:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest moggy

Posted this before

Good mate of mine Rob Hen

Was out car booting one Sunday years ago

On this stall full of tat was an old battered 7" single box

Opens it up and there a about 5 records in it, has a quick flip and right at the back the last one

was a bloody Timi Yuro: Never be over

ask's the bloke "how much are these mate"

"10p each and you can have box" :thumbup: so 50p as he didn't want to piss the bloke off and leave the other 4

"Just out of interest where did you find these" ask's Rob

"Oh, I go up the tip every other day, and have a rummage around, found it up there"

:(:D Would you Adam & Eve it :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Not me, but my dad used to work with a mohicaned punk rocker.

one day he said "your lad likes northern Soul doesnt he? Want to buy two records off me for a quid?2

Dad brought home a one sided boot type thing of Mel williams - Can It Be Me, and a mint copy of Dickie Wonder - Nobody Knows on Golden Triangle.

my sister came back from the wigan temple in 1975 and brought back a copy of joey d&starliters "how can i forget" i then as a child, to the horror of my neighbours, learnt to dance to this classic!

still got a copy. how could i possibly part with it now?

Social source share

Hi Harry, a friend of mine works on the local tip. he,s made himself quite a few £££s qver the years with the British stuff he has found. Why records end up on the tip is anyones guess, people dead, spilt up or whatever. Dave

Social source share

Hi Harry, a friend of mine works on the local tip. he,s made himself quite a few £££s qver the years with the British stuff he has found. Why records end up on the tip is anyones guess, people dead, spilt up or whatever. Dave

Dunno, I've chucked thousands of records down the tip, because they were useless. I've bought say 1000 records from the states, only 100 were usable so the rest get chucked away.

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

in the past ive left records at parties and you just know, the effing daniel o"donnell fan would have "chucked thum oot" the day after! thats how there on the skip!

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

pete, who are you? 1000s of records etc discarded! i remember r. searling introducing records to the dancers one week, then the next nothing! were you all throwing records away?

Social source share

Not soul, but didn`t somebody on a tip a few years ago find a load of larry lurex acetates in a box? bet he made a mint :thumbup:

Social source share

not big money tunes but on two seperate occasions been looking through hundreds of naff "soul" records mainly disco and early eighties pop and found a mint copy of dont mess up a good thing/bobby mcclure and fontella bass on chekker with a wicked instrumental jerk loose /oliver sain on the flip for a quid.....and manhatton stomp/manhattons on carnival for 50p...not bad for the price of a can of coke !

had a reggae album on tape from a mate when i lived in norwich "the best of bamboo" one of my biggest wants ,never saw it but knew it was gonna be expensive when i did.....about 13 years later while living in bristol the auntie of my then girlfriend said she had some reggae records i could 'borrow' ...im hoping for a crate full but theres only half a dozen none much good except ...you guessed it ...the best of bamboo ..a studio one masterpiece...still got it,not the best condition but it will do me....still in contact with the ex so she cant want it back

Social source share

not big money tunes but on two seperate occasions been looking through hundreds of naff "soul" records mainly disco and early eighties pop and found a mint copy of dont mess up a good thing/bobby mcclure and fontella bass on chekker with a wicked instrumental jerk loose /oliver sain on the flip for a quid.....and manhatton stomp/manhattons on carnival for 50p...not bad for the price of a can of coke !

had a reggae album on tape from a mate when i lived in norwich "the best of bamboo" one of my biggest wants ,never saw it but knew it was gonna be expensive when i did.....about 13 years later while living in bristol the auntie of my then girlfriend said she had some reggae records i could 'borrow' ...im hoping for a crate full but theres only half a dozen none much good except ...you guessed it ...the best of bamboo ..a studio one masterpiece...still got it,not the best condition but it will do me....still in contact with the ex so she cant want it back

its wierd really, i knew a lad who as the same as yourself was going through his mother in laws records in the attic, and pulled out a shane martin, when he asked her why she had it she said, we were mods as kids and used to go to loads of parties we all took different records but never came away with the ones you went with, liked to have gone to them parties biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest jinx74

i found The Topics LP "Wanted" sealed for $25 in the male vocal section of a record store in San Jose, California. Also found the Gaturs "Cold Bear" on Gatur at the same time for $1 in the instrumental section.

Social source share

Not a record as such , but a few years ago my driving instructor told me that he was in a 60's beat group [ he also made stage clothes for Johnny Wilders Chicago Heatwave ] .What kind of songs did you play , originals or covers I asked ? " Well we used to do this song called " Fireman " which was a great song , but lyrically wasn't right as we were an all male band - don't suppose you know it do you ?, as I haven't heard it for years " His face was a picture when I took my Atlantic copy ' round his place to hear for the first time since the 60's .Wonder where he heard it first as it's a pretty obscure record isn't it by any standard .Interesting eh ? Best ,Eddie

Social source share

A couple of years ago i was at a record fair in york, had looked through all the sixties section as you do, then decided to have a look at a guys stuff who looked like one of z z top, going through loads of heavy metal picture discs, and there right in the middle was a copy of THE FOXES I JUST MIGHT FALL IN LOVE-ABC W/D he gave me it put it in a brown paper bag as quick as possible so his tattoo clad friends didn`t see laugh.gif and 50p changed hands, wheres the most peculiar place youve turned up soul music :D

I went to a record / book fair at Rotherham Library many moons ago , and after three quarters of an hour of mooching round , had found nothing until the " stall " one old lady ........

Her " stock " was mainly books . but she had two carboard boxes full of LPs , which contained nothing of interest , and a pile of 45s on the top of a plastic carrier bag ..........

Again nothing much - 80s chart single after 80s chart single , and I was about to put them down , when I turned over a Bobby Taylor " Oh I've Been Blessed " on VIP issue . Following in succession , were seven boots - nothing special , but worth having in the light of the rising prices of said discs ........

I took the discs home , put them on one side , and forgot abouth them until a week later , when I picked them up to have a look . One of the stated boots was Candi Staton's " Now You've Got The Upper Hand " ........

The disc , when I checked it further , found that it had pukka matrix stamps on both sides ........

The said disc was sold for £ 120 three weeks later .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

its wierd really, i knew a lad who as the same as yourself was going through his mother in laws records in the attic, and pulled out a shane martin, when he asked her why she had it she said, we were mods as kids and used to go to loads of parties we all took different records but never came away with the ones you went with, liked to have gone to them parties biggrin.gif

can remember crashing a party in my "bad" mod days in the 80s and coming away with some records...no soul ...things like aswad ,police and teardrop explodes...didnt take any records there though!!

think ive already posted this before on another thread but was in oxfam looking through hundreds of top of the pops and max bygraves lps when i cam across a mint copy of prince busters wreck a pum pum for a quid !! pulled out the record to see if was as good as the cover and found the best of nat king bloody cole !...frantic search for the nat lp cover came up with nothing.....can just picture some old biddy putting the prince buster lp on expecting to hear nat....bit of a shock especially if she could understand the lyrics !!

Social source share

wouldnt happen to be mr whatmough would it

mark

Social source share

Back in 1997 I got a phone call from a mate urging me to get to Bradford & Ilkley College canteen asap, he said there were boxes of old records for sale at 10p each, he didnt know if they were soul but said they must be worth a look.

I raced down there and started rummaging through the singles, must have been about 800 45s, I pulled about 60 singles out to buy, all uk demos from the 70s and early 80s.

Allsorts of stuff, pop, disco, motown, soul, punk, reggae, funk.

Looking back I wished I had bought the lot, no one seemed to know the history of them or why they were for sale....but.....each and every one of em had a 'Braille' sticker on either the sleeve or label !

Social source share

Not a recod find but...

Was visiting my Dad in Boscombe, and decided to take a bit of his old stereo equipment into a 'Swapshop' to upgrade it.

Usual Junk, loads of old radios, disco lights etc, but unfortunately no records.

Decided to have a quick scan of a box of books, two stacks in the box, went through the first stack and found bugger all, was about to leave when I lifted the top book off the next stack (an old Haynes Manual) and the second one down the pile was Simon Soussans Motown and Northern Soul price guide.

Cost me a fiver, but was happy to pay it as it was probably only a year old at the time.

Social source share

Back in 1997 I got a phone call from a mate urging me to get to Bradford & Ilkley College canteen asap, he said there were boxes of old records for sale at 10p each, he didnt know if they were soul but said they must be worth a look.

I raced down there and started rummaging through the singles, must have been about 800 45s, I pulled about 60 singles out to buy, all uk demos from the 70s and early 80s.

Allsorts of stuff, pop, disco, motown, soul, punk, reggae, funk.

Looking back I wished I had bought the lot, no one seemed to know the history of them or why they were for sale....but.....each and every one of em had a 'Braille' sticker on either the sleeve or label !

Always wondered where the term " Buying Blind" came from

I'll get me straightjacket.............................

Myra

Social source share

A couple of years ago i was at a record fair in york, had looked through all the sixties section as you do, then decided to have a look at a guys stuff who looked like one of z z top, going through loads of heavy metal picture discs, and there right in the middle was a copy of THE FOXES I JUST MIGHT FALL IN LOVE-ABC W/D he gave me it put it in a brown paper bag as quick as possible so his tattoo clad friends didn`t see :thumbup: and 50p changed hands, wheres the most peculiar place youve turned up soul music :lol:

I was in "The William Morris pub" in Colliers Wood, when a local who had been chatting to my "Middlesboro Fan" mate about football scores comes over to me asking if i was intrested in buying his mums old soul 45s, cause your mate said you like old soul....my mum was a mod! I said yes....all day Bruv, where are they?"

He said he would go and get them ! Honest.....10 mins later the geezer is back in the pub with 20 great uk 45s

The 2nd 45 I flicked through was "Ray Merrell - tears of joy! on a 1970 Jayboy :shhh:

I gave him 50 quid out of the cash machine for all the tunes ! Including a TMG Demo :lol:

He was only expecting 20 quid!

And I had only popped out to the local for a beer !

My old mate "Richard Buckley" has more interesting tales about finding a big load of quality 60s vinyl in recent timesl :D

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!