Films/documentaries About Soul

heya,

can you recommend any good films/movies abot soul/artists/history/scene etc you have seen (or would like to see again)... (if possible with the company name)?

the reason for my question: susanne & i plan a thursday film warm up for the soul-shakers weekender together with the local alternative cinema, they will be able to find films which haven't been released as a DVD etc....

so if you know...let me know :lol:

THANKS!!!

Malayka

Edited by malayka
Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not strictly speaking about soul music per-se but a potentially great addition to any line-up like this is The Cool World from 1964.

Shot on location in Harlem using largely non-professional actors and filmed in the style of the French New Wave, this is an important chronicle of the vernacular clothing styles, dancing, gang culture, and music of the time. It was directed by Shirley Clarke and remains unseen by many. I'm sure this would be of great interest to everyone at the weekender.

www.imdb.com lists the production company as Wiseman Films.

Social source share

Not strictly speaking about soul music per-se but a potentially great addition to any line-up like this is The Cool World from 1964.

Shot on location in Harlem using largely non-professional actors and filmed in the style of the French New Wave, this is an important chronicle of the vernacular clothing styles, dancing, gang culture, and music of the time. It was directed by Shirley Clarke and remains unseen by many. I'm sure this would be of great interest to everyone at the weekender.

Never heard of that Gareth, it sounds very interesting, is it available anywhere?

Jordi

Social source share

that sounds great, thanks, i will defo check this one out...please, keep it coming...it can't be that hard???!!!

M.

Social source share

Hi Malayka,

You'd probably have an appreciative audience for "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" which documents the history of the Funk Brothers. Still worth watching for the archive footage and the interviews with the remaining Funk Brothers. Could do without Ben Harper and Alison Krause mauling some tunes but the over-riding thrust of the film is concentrated on the original musicians so well worth watching if you haven't already.........

https://www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.com/

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Hi Malayka,

You'd probably have an appreciative audience for "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" which documents the history of the Funk Brothers. Still worth watching for the archive footage and the interviews with the remaining Funk Brothers. Could do without Ben Harper and Alison Krause mauling some tunes but the over-riding thrust of the film is concentrated on the original musicians so well worth watching if you haven't already.........

Ian D :thumbup:

Thanks Ian,

I've seen it, (at the cinema we will hold the film night in may)..., and you're right it's always worth watching...we probably show two, or three films...a) to prevent people from drinking too much on thursday ;-) cool.gif because we have the opportunity to do so c) they have a nice little bar where we also can play some records...if you have more recommendations PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!! :lol:

M.

Social source share

Hi Malayka,

Ian D :P

Ian, you mean Joan Osborne ?

Personnally I love her cover of "What becomes of the brokenhearted".

Social source share

Never heard of that Gareth, it sounds very interesting, is it available anywhere?

Jordi

Just Googled this film, apparently it's not available on DVD as the producer believes it should only be seen on the big screen, which is a bit disappointing.

Other search results brought up a screening in Edinburgh where I live.....good news? Not really, it was 2 weeks ago at the film festival, now that's very f#*king disappointing :P

Can't see this one running at the multiplex any time soon.

Social source share

There was also one with Ian McShane (Lovejoy) where he was a Dj trying to find the members of his favourite group.

He ended up travelling in the US in a big convertible. One of the group members was played by Isaac Hayes.

Please tell me it wasnt a dream.

Of course The Five Heartbeats has a great soundtrack.

Social source share

There was also one with Ian McShane (Lovejoy) where he was a Dj trying to find the members of his favourite group.

He ended up travelling in the US in a big convertible. One of the group members was played by Isaac Hayes.

Of course The Five Heartbeats has a great soundtrack.

No it wasn't a dream.

Called the Soul Survivors.

More info here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114504/

Social source share

Soul Survivors

The sort of "little" film which studios used to excel at but seldom make anymore. Sort of a "soul" version of the more well-known "The Last Of The Blonde Bombshells". Ian McShane is excellent as a DJ and aficionado of soul music who becomes obsessed with the idea of re-uniting the members of a classic soul group, and the film follows his exploits as well as those of the group members; a cast which includes such genuine musical talent as Isaac Hayes, as well as acting stalwarts Taurean Blacque, Derrick O'Connor and Antonio Fargas. Not meant to be an epic by any means, this is nonetheless a chunk of solid gold.

Social source share

Theres "Coast to Coast" with Lenny Henry. Not seen this for ages,used to be on the tv a bit.

A bit of a comedy with classic Motown all the way through.

this s a top film if i remember rightly pete poselwaite is in it, very funny and load of soul music to boot

Social source share

Hi Mark, hope you are well.

The Cool World was part of Shirley Clarke retrospective in Edinburgh Film festival, but it sold out almost immediately as did almost all of her films shown I think, we managed to get tickets for Ornette Coleman film she did which was great, a bit off the wall character but a really interesting film.

Social source share

Hi Mark, hope you are well.

The Cool World was part of Shirley Clarke retrospective in Edinburgh Film festival, but it sold out almost immediately as did almost all of her films shown I think, we managed to get tickets for Ornette Coleman film she did which was great, a bit off the wall character but a really interesting film.

Very well, cheers Jock.

I'm not suprised that a gentleman of culture such as yourself did not miss that this was on. Would really liked to have seen them myself.

On an altogether different cultural note, I'll see you at Easter Road in the new season. Robbies on Leith Walk if you're thirsty before the game.

Mark.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert