Belle Vue, Manchester

Anyone remember The 'Heart of England Soul Club' All Dayers at Belle Vue, Manchester about 1978?

I think they were held in the Kings Hall. Massive dance floor if I remember.

Just found my Membership Card..................... Ah! memories.

Was it crap! because I never seen it mentioned.

Mike

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

HI MIKE

NO THEY WERENT CRAP. I DO REMEMBER THEM, ALSO THE ALL-DAYERS THERE, WAS IT THE CUMBERLAND SUITE? THE LIKES OF RICHARD SEARLING AND IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT, PAT BRADY, DID DO THE ODD DAYER THERE TOO. CANT REMEMBER WHO RUN THEM BUT USUALLY HAD A GOOD TURN OUT. THE ALL-DAYERS USED TO ATTRACT A LOT MORE LOCALS FROM STOCKPORT AREA. ALWAYS REMEMBER A DECENT SIZED AND IMMACULATE DANCEFLOOR. BEST OF ALL THOUGH WAS A GO ON THE BIG DIPPER WHEN WE WENT OUT FOR A BREATHER!!!!

C U SOON

GRANT

Social source share

Hiya Grant,

Didn't go in 78 but remember going to the Cumberland Suite etc around 69-71ish........think it still used be The Top Ten Club then with DJ's like Dave Eager & Ugli Ray Teret ??.....have vague recollections of Jimmy Saville doing that venue too.....did go to a few alldayers there with a gang of folk from the Longsight/Gorton/Ardwick area around same time as the Birdcage in Ashton...... but also have even fonder memories of the Bobs and Water Shute but I have to say not of the parrot that bit me when I was about 3.....could explain a lot !!!!!!......... happy days....take care !!!!!

Linda x

Social source share

hi Grant

I don't remember the H.E.S.C at Belle Vue, but do recall the ones at the Ritz run by Neil Rushton and Co(I still have a embroidered patch never been sew on).

Living the other side of Manchester to you, Salford/Swinton, Manchester was nearer, I do recall going to a couple of alldayers at a big Irish club on Plymouth Grove with a huge dance floor, I can't remember the name though (does anbody else?).

Then about the same time period, The Inner City Soul Club (same company that had a record label in the 70's) started doing alldayers at Romanoffs on Oxford road formerly Rotters.

As an aside does anybody remember The John Bull in Spring Gardens (Manchester) and John Grant (Whatever happend to him)?

Catching the coach to Leeds Central or going to Wigan when The John Bull Closed.

Peter

PS

I do remember going to BelleVue though to see the Zoo and fairground.

Social source share

hi peter

yeah the ritz all dayers on a sunday after wigan eh. remember the hour or so of northern then the hour or so of levine and co playin mecca stuff, ground breaking stuff at the time bringing the two music style together!

the plymouth grove event was called the Carousel - they did quite a few all-niters there if i remember right, nice venue, balcony etc. then they ballsed it up by partioning off the dancefloor into sections - anyone remember that!!

also your neck of the woods (salford - where i work!) remember a dayer at the willows (we were either transferred from the carousel or belle vue in coaches, cant remember which or why!). think there was also an all dayer at the merry-go-round up your way.

atb

grant

Social source share

ahhh The Carousel, thats it. Don't remember the floor being split at a later date though.

Yes the Willows in 70's was quite a good venue, that had sunken dance floor. It's still going today though I haven't been since the 70's.

Peter.

Social source share

• 13 years later...
On 01/03/2004 at 22:28, doowopmick said:

Anyone remember The 'Heart of England Soul Club' All Dayers at Belle Vue, Manchester about 1978?

I think they were held in the Kings Hall. Massive dance floor if I remember.

Just found my Membership Card..................... Ah! memories.

Was it crap! because I never seen it mentioned.

Mike

It was brilliant 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!