Songs In Films

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I am sure i could have said TV too but i wondered how many Northern soul songs etc get used in films soundtracks and if so what ones,

We all know Saturday Night Fever and there use of disco but surely some films must have used something Northern or even Motown

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Carrie Mehome

"Heatweave" in the "Carrie" horror film in the scene with John Travolata and Nancy Allen in the car when he's driving with cans of beer. My perfect combo - horror and musik and my first intro to music and horror.

Social source share

Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine from 1965, theme song sung by The Supremes. I don't think it ever came out, but there's a version by the Beas on Dee Gee (other side to'where do I go from you')

This did appear on a 45 (one-sided) and the Beas came out on the same promotional label (also one sided) before DeeGee (and UK Pama)...scans below.

There's also some great clips on YouTube that I posted on RareSoulForum.com...hang on I'll go and dig them out...here you go:

and...

and...

:lol:

post-9555-1215828319.jpg

post-9555-1215828327.jpg

Social source share

That version of "Nowhere To Run" from "The Warriors" soundtrack takes some beating! I never did find out who it was.........

Ian D :lol:

The person responsible for this outing is a chap called Arnold McCuller ........

Arnold McCuller

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arnold McCuller is an African American singer from Cleveland, Ohio.

Although a singer with a solo career in his own right, McCuller is perhaps best known for his work as a back-up singer for such better-known artists as James Taylor, Phil Collins, and Bonnie Raitt. He has toured for some twenty years with Taylor and is an audience favorite for his featured vocal parts on the songs "Shower the People", "I Will Follow", and "Is That the Way You Look". He has also toured extensively with Collins and is one of the main lead vocalists on the live version of "Easy Lover".

His song "Nowhere to run" was featured in the 1979 action movie The Warriors

A film with a good / commendable use of dance orientated tracks , albeit not northern , is the 1991 film " Young Soul Rebels " ......

Young Soul Rebels (Original Mix) - Mica Paris

Message In Our Music - The O'Jays

Running Away - Roy Ayers

Time Is Moving On - The Blackbyrds

Don't Let It Go To Your Head - Jean Carne

Lets Get It Together - El Coco

You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) - Sylvester

P. Funk Wants To Get Funked Up - Parliament

I'll Play The Fool For You - Dr Buzzard's Original "Savannah" Band

Rock Creek Park - The Blackbyrds

Me And Baby Brother - War

One Nation Under A Groove - Funkadelic

Let The Music Play Charles Earland

Young Soul Rebels (Remix) Mica Paris

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine from 1965, theme song sung by The Supremes. I don't think it ever came out, but there's a version by the Beas on Dee Gee (other side to'where do I go from you')

:lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

The person responsible for this outing is a chap called Arnold McCuller ........

Arnold McCuller

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arnold McCuller is an African American singer from Cleveland, Ohio.

Although a singer with a solo career in his own right, McCuller is perhaps best known for his work as a back-up singer for such better-known artists as James Taylor, Phil Collins, and Bonnie Raitt. He has toured for some twenty years with Taylor and is an audience favorite for his featured vocal parts on the songs "Shower the People", "I Will Follow", and "Is That the Way You Look". He has also toured extensively with Collins and is one of the main lead vocalists on the live version of "Easy Lover".

His song "Nowhere to run" was featured in the 1979 action movie The Warriors

A film with a good / commendable use of dance orientated tracks , albeit not northern , is the 1991 film " Young Soul Rebels " ......

Young Soul Rebels (Original Mix) - Mica Paris

Message In Our Music - The O'Jays

Running Away - Roy Ayers

Time Is Moving On - The Blackbyrds

Don't Let It Go To Your Head - Jean Carne

Lets Get It Together - El Coco

You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real) - Sylvester

P. Funk Wants To Get Funked Up - Parliament

I'll Play The Fool For You - Dr Buzzard's Original "Savannah" Band

Rock Creek Park - The Blackbyrds

Me And Baby Brother - War

One Nation Under A Groove - Funkadelic

Let The Music Play Charles Earland

Young Soul Rebels (Remix) Mica Paris

Malc Burton

Apologies - I had forgotten about the following ........

" You were The Dream " - Roscoe Shelton , and " Lonely For You Baby " - Sam Dees , were used in Blue Juice

Malc Burton

Social source share

Apologies - I had forgotten about the following ........

" You were The Dream " - Roscoe Shelton , and " Lonely For You Baby " - Sam Dees , were used in Blue Juice

Malc Burton

I'm sure I've heard either Sam Dees or Sam Fletcher in another American film ( I get Lonely for you baby and I'd think it over mixed up for some reason-think they were both on an old Charly comp that I played to death). It was in a scene where the character was singing it on stage to a large crowd. Did I dream this???

Social source share

I'm sure I've heard either Sam Dees or Sam Fletcher in another American film ( I get Lonely for you baby and I'd think it over mixed up for some reason-think they were both on an old Charly comp that I played to death). It was in a scene where the character was singing it on stage to a large crowd. Did I dream this???

It seems too plausible to be the product of somnambulation , young Reginald ........

We need someone to confirm this : does SS have a Barry Norman ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

It seems too plausible to be the product of somnambulation , young Reginald ........

We need someone to confirm this : does SS have a Barry Norman ?

Malc Burton

I'm sure it does...it has a resident expert for most things :lol:

Social source share

I'm sure it does...it has a resident expert for most things :lol:

If it was Sam Dees , SS's resident SD expert - Sean Hampsey - should be able to confirm if said singer appeared in a film , and if so , if it was crooning " LFYB " ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

James Brown was in a horrendous film performing wearing a skiing jumper, for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

Allen Tousaint was in the originl version of Hairspray

and of course there were loads of tracks in 'Coast To Coast'

Toussaint McCall was in 'Hairspray' (not Allen Toussaint) along with Ruth Brown, the original 'Motormouth Maybelle'...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Supremes eventually DID get a commerical release, on some sort of 30th Anniversary CD Boxed set in the early 90s...

Social source share

Gloria Jones ' Tainted Love' is played in the movie about Ralph Waldo "Petey" Green.

The moive is a moving story and a must see more details can be seen here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796368/

I nearly died when I heard Gloria Jones being played!

Other tracks played are (not a complete listing)

1. Knock On Wood - Eddie Floyd

2. Sweet Soul Music - Arthur Conley

3. Tramp - Otis Redding & Carla Thomas

4. Hold On I'm Coming - Sam & Dave

5. Cool Jerk - The Capitols

6. Tighten Up - Archie Bell & The Drells

7. Looking For A Fox - Clarence Carter

8. Hip Hug-Her - Booker T. & The MG's

9. Hello Stranger - Barbara Lewis

10. I Can't Turn You Loose - Otis Redding

11. Say It Loud I'm Black & I'm Proud - James Brown

12. Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get - The Dramatics

13. Compared To What - Me'Shell NdegeOcello

14. A Change is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke

Edited by jim g
Social source share

It's an uphill climb to the bottom Walter Jackson in the film To live and die in L.a. from about 90-95. It's on in the background just as the main actor gets his shlong out. :thumbup:

"To Live And Die In L.A." is a rockin' film if anyone hasn't seen it! A great storyline, some dynamite roles (Willem Dafoe, Fred Williamson, William Peterson) sexy style and beautifully filmed by Billy Friedkin also features one of the best fights of all time between some Compton badasses and two white scumbags who invaded their crib! Great film! :lol:

Ian D :shades:

Social source share

Also , lest I forget, there are some dynamite scenes and some soulful gems in Quentin Tarrantino's "Death Proof" - Eddie Floyd and Joe Tex from memory. Also a great juke-box scene with an original Dial 45 playing!

The "Hold Tight" - Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich crash sequence is one of the most effective uses of music I've ever seen!

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Back in the day, played a track from the film 'Fame', 'Hot lunch jam-Kids From Fame'. Very popular at Yate, even played it at Wigan on a couple of the Saturday nights I did there.

......and conveniently the 'b' side of Irene Cara's "Fame" 12" (for that extra fidelity). Storming instrumental............

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

There were several Beach Music films around in the 80s. They were all quite dire apart from the sound tracks. "Shag" was one of the best ones.

Track listing

39-21-40-Shape The Showmen

Alley Oop-Hollywood Argyles

Another Saturday Night-Sam Cooke

Baby Work Out-Jackie Wilson

Easier Said Than Done-Essex

Harlem Shuffle-Bob & Earl

He's So Fine-Chiffons

It Will Stand-The Showmen

Let Me In-The Sensations

Mama Said-The Shirelles

Monkey Time-Major Lance

Since I Don't Have You-The Skyliners

Stagger Lee-Lloyd Price

Stay-Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs

Under the Boardwalk-The Drifters

Up on the Roof-The Drifters

What Kind of Fool-The Tams

You Belong To MeThe Duprees

Paul

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I am sure i could have said TV too but i wondered how many Northern soul songs etc get used in films soundtracks and if so what ones,

We all know Saturday Night Fever and there use of disco but surely some films must have used something Northern or even Motown

[/quote

The less northern soul tracks used in films the better.......(I.m.o).not unless its a film worth watching :P the only thing that i can think of at mo is coast to coast like mr rimmer said. If you aint seen it watch it, great film.....

Social source share

I've got a similar very vague recollection, not of the actual song, but a scene of a bloke in a film sitting at a piano singing "When your feeling sad and lonely, let me render my service to you" to a woman.

Remember thinking at the time that the New Wanderers record must have been a cover of a well known song, maybe a Bacharrach or something, for those lyrics to appear in a movie.

Anyone know who wrote "Let me render my service"?

Social source share

Human Beinz-Nobody but Me , Kill Bill

Outsiders-Time won,t let me , Venom (think it was this film,on tele last week)

Just an add - on ..........

The Human Beinz were originally / actually called " The Human Beingz " , when they signed for Capitol , and the name change was a result of a typo when the labels for " NBM " were printed : Capotol refused to reprint , and the band were stuck

with the name .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

some odds off top of head

jimmy radcliffe - thrill of loving you - biloux blues

tony middleton - little red book - whats new pussycat

tony middleton - adam and eve - films gone -got a dodgy memory of clip being on net somewhere

cameo - find my way - thank god its friday - that was a suprise at the time

dobie grey - out on the floor - out of sight

rubberneckin - change of habit :P

odd triv bits

carl holmes and commanders were one of the bands in animal house

who was the uncredited well know female group playing in some club in some black explo film

toni basils breakway short art film

Social source share

some odds off top of head

jimmy radcliffe - thrill of loving you - biloux blues

tony middleton - little red book - whats new pussycat

tony middleton - adam and eve - films gone -got a dodgy memory of clip being on net somewhere

cameo - find my way - thank god its friday - that was a suprise at the time

dobie grey - out on the floor - out of sight

rubberneckin - change of habit :P

odd triv bits

carl holmes and commanders were one of the bands in animal house

who was the uncredited well know female group playing in some club in some black explo film

toni basils breakway short art film

The Three Degrees appeared in " The French Connection " , singing " Everybody Gets To Go To The Moon " .......

Was this the film - and the group - that you were trying to recall , Mike ? .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Not strictly soul records but they do have an historical link to northern soul.

Gil Bernal "It sure is groovy " from In The Deep Of The Night soundtrack.

Under the guidance of Ray Charles and Quincy Jones you can't steer too far from sublime.

&

Shawn Robinson - Once And Again - from La Volpe Dalla Coda Di Velluto

Scored by the magnificent Piero Piccioni this is a lovely orchestrated track of lush strings and sultry vocals.

Wish I had the capabilities to post this beauty up. I used to always end mix tapes with this.

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Wasn't there a Peter Sellers comedy, which featured an instrumental of Mel Williams', 'Promises, promises, promises'?

I seem to recall a scene in a mountain chalet, probably in the Alps, when the tune was played?

:thumbsup:

Do you mean the "mouse that roared" ?

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Under the guidance of Ray Charles and Quincy Jones you can't steer too far from sublime.

I have a copy of It sure is groovy by John Thomas on Veep which states it is from the film "In the Heat of the Night" written by Bergman & Jones (assume this is Quincy) produced by Henry Jerome

So did it appear in both films by 2 artists? Very curious

Social source share

&

Shawn Robinson - Once And Again - from La Volpe Dalla Coda Di Velluto

Scored by the magnificent Piero Piccioni this is a lovely orchestrated track of lush strings and sultry vocals.

Wish I had the capabilities to post this beauty up. I used to always end mix tapes with this.

Italian job,Quincy Jones scored the thing.

Social source share

I have a copy of It sure is groovy by John Thomas on Veep which states it is from the film "In the Heat of the Night" written by Bergman & Jones (assume this is Quincy) produced by Henry Jerome

So did it appear in both films by 2 artists? Very curious

Gil Bernal is on the Heat of the Night Soundtrack....think "Deep" was a typo :D He really should do better-he wrote it :(:D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert