Same Song, Same Artist, Different Version

Just looking through some 45s and came across Lenis Guess "Just Ask Me" on Legrand its an updated version of his old Wigan stomper, got me thinking how many other updated songs are there?

A couple that spring to mind are

Natural Four I thought you were mine

Ty Karim Lighten up (baby)

I'm sure theres loads more so get your thinking caps on

Blake

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mel Williams - Can It Be Be

Artistics - I'm Gonna Miss You - (At least 3 versions covering 20 years)

Ripple Blast Singers - Sadie Sadie

Anglos - Since You've Been Gone

Trammps - Hold Back The Night

Carol Jones - Problem Child

Porgy Williams - Lonely Mans Hum (Although in fairness this was just a remix)

All the Motor City stuff by Levine plus all his other re recordings

Minds blank at the moment

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

Social source share

Edward Hamilton recorded a couple of different versions of some of his songs.

Can't remember which right now as I'm not at home to check. :P

"Im gonna love you" - mary jayne being the best IMHO

Social source share

Not forgetting The Isley's - Who's That Lady on United Artists and the later 70's "That Lady" (Don't know the label - can't stand it!)

Liz

Social source share

Not forgetting The Isley's - Who's That Lady on United Artists and the later 70's "That Lady" (Don't know the label - can't stand it!)

Liz

Bebu Silvetti ..........

" Lluvia De Primavera " , which was restructured and remixed into " Spring Rain " ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Not really updated but apart from newer release stuff the strangest thing I've come across is by Love - That's The Way It Is & The Only Way on RRG records.

TTWII is the A side & TOW is the B side. 2 totally different tracks & titles but the same lyrics.

Will post up soundclips in a minute but the sound quality ain't that good so forgive the pun - that's the way it is!

Social source share

Mel Williams - Can It Be Be

Artistics - I'm Gonna Miss You - (At least 3 versions covering 20 years)

Ripple Blast Singers - Sadie Sadie

Anglos - Since You've Been Gone

Trammps - Hold Back The Night

Carol Jones - Problem Child

Porgy Williams - Lonely Mans Hum (Although in fairness this was just a remix)

All the Motor City stuff by Levine plus all his other re recordings

Minds blank at the moment

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

https://northern-soul-records.com

https://motownsound.co.uk

The two Mel Williams records are different songs altogether though I think

Social source share

Edward Hamilton recorded a couple of different versions of some of his songs.

Can't remember which right now as I'm not at home to check. :thumbsup:

"I'm gonna love you" - the version on Jameco is different to the others.

Also, there are two versions of Open The Door To Your Heart by Darrell Banks, the second appears on the LP

Social source share

Marvin Holmes - "You Better Keep Her"

7 inch & album are totally different cuts.

What about:-

Big Al Downing - I'm just nobody - Columbia & Polydor (2 totally different records by the same artist,same title).

Last night I heard a totally different version of 'Don't bring back memories' by The Four Tops now it was definately The Four Tops singing so it wasn't the unreleased Shrine Version by Tommy somebody or other but it was different than my copy, I have it on UK single anyone know what it is.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

How many times has Tyrone Davis recorded 'Turn back the hands of time'? I've got two versions on Dakar and a version on some other label, but that last one may just be a reissue. I sure don't care enough to actually dig it out!

The Righteous Bros. rerecorded all their 'greatest hits', and just about every incarnation of the Drifters seems to have re-recorded their entire back catalogue. My sister bought a 'Best of' that has another version of 'On Broadway' to add to the three I've already got... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

One we've discussed a few times ,Little Willie John - I'm Shakin'

Another one that appears on the 'Kent - New Breed R&B' cd , 'Bobby Byrd - I Found Out' speed it up slightly, change the lyrics & it becomes 'Time Will Make A Change' on Smash, works well too i think yes.gif

Another along a similar vein, 'Bob & Earls - Harlem Shuffle' , use the lyrics from 'I Can't Get Away' & it becomes 'Puppet On A String' & 10 x better !!

Was probably done the other way round though.

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

Coo...

I've just heard Ike and Tina's Nutbushified version of 'River deep, mountain high'. First time I've heard that...

It's made me feel all funny. :lol:

Social source share

The Velvelettes - These things , single version and version with different lyrics on Motown chartbusters 6 , Tammi Terrell - Tears at the end of a love affair , LP version on Motown , plus version with slightly different lyrics heard on Searling show , spun by Martin Koppell , anyone know what it's on ? Joe Tex I gotcha , funky version and smooth 70's dancer version .Interesting stuff ..........Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Just looking through some 45s and came across Lenis Guess "Just Ask Me" on Legrand its an updated version of his old Wigan stomper, got me thinking how many other updated songs are there?

Blake

How about the Whispers Shhhh lp

same songs re-done with a 70's twist

Social source share

The Dells "Oh What a Night" released on Veejay in 1956 and then later on Cadet in 1969 I believe. Two different versions of same song.

Suz :g:

x

Has anyone mentioned Eddie Holman's reworkings of " I Surrender " in this thread ? ........

If So . my apologies .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

think the mca and roulette is the same recording. it came out on another label as well

but i cant think what offhand :g:

dave

One that comes to mind , is James Brown " Night Train " ........

The UK Sue issue was slightly faster than the other release copies for the disc .......

Can anyone clarify the reason for this ?

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Adam G

willie Hutch "when a boy falls in love"RCA

the single has the lp version as part 2 and part 1 is a totally different take and very nice crossover it is too.

Social source share

Blake

Blake,

I thought the slow Ty Karim was actually "Lightin up"? Seem to remember seeing it on a label spelt like that but could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Spot. :g:

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

'Funky Nassau' by Beginning of the End was rerecorded as a disco number by the vocalist, does that count?

The Esquires did a rerecord of 'Get on up'

In addition to the two Righteous versions of 'Loving feeling' Bill Medley recorded a solo version.

Carole King recorded 'Some of your lovin'' under her own name and with/as The Honey Bees.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!